• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 is releasing in 2023

Life

Jamie's movelist looks rather rich for a Street Fighter. Excited about the new cast and what they will have.

Fake

I saw Cammy leak and her ass looks way more big or in the same size as Chun-Li, so IDK what Twitter folks are talking about teasing Cammy fans.

Anw, saw Ken too. Better than that attrocious Ken from SF5.

Game being obviously incomplete aside...

My question is, why give him something that looks so similar to his standard fireball? It's fine if they want you to space the cr.MK -> Hadoken to make it safe, but it seems odd that they would give him a move that looks so similar for block strings and combos up close.

My question is, why give him something that looks so similar to his standard fireball? It's fine if they want you to space the cr.MK -> Hadoken to make it safe, but it seems odd that they would give him a move that looks so similar for block strings and combos up close.

Given a lot of the SNK influence the game already seems to have (Cammy and Ken's redesigns for example looking they'd fit right in with RBFF and MOTW), that new Ryu move reminds me of Li's fireball from Real Bout Fatal Fury 2:

You can also see it in this video:

Not saying Ryu's new move is exactly the same, but it could have similar utility.

Given a lot of the SNK influence the game already seems to have (Cammy and Ken's redesigns for example looking they'd fit right in with RBFF and MOTW), that new Ryu move reminds me of Li's fireball from Real Bout Fatal Fury 2:

You can also see it in this video:

Not saying Ryu's new move is exactly the same, but it could have similar utility.

That's what I was thinking honestly. It looks like it's meant to be a move with an extended hitbox, possibly a lingering one if done with HP. Like a Young Zeku palm or Ibuki thrust. The Hashogeki looks like a more soft version of a Hadoken though. Maybe they will add a little more impact to it and make it more unique by the time the game releases.

yurinka

Maybe it has less recovery than the hadoken and you can use it to fake a fireball and make the enemy jump and hit him with an antiair. And in addition to this also expand Ryu's moveset/toolset with a new special to be used when very close to the enemy in a safer way.

That's what I was thinking honestly. It looks like it's meant to be a move with an extended hitbox, possibly a lingering one if done with HP. Like a Young Zeku palm or Ibuki thrust. The Hashogeki looks like a more soft version of a Hadoken though. Maybe they will add a little more impact to it and make it more unique by the time the game releases.

It's possible; IIRC Li's move there doesn't require a corner situation for it to juggle. It'd be interesting if the Hashogeki's purpose is basically like Li's move in the RBFF series, I think that'd be pretty cool for juggle combos and something regular Hadokens can't.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We recently sat down with Takayuki Nakayama and Shuhei Matsumoto, Director and Producer of Street Fighter 6, respectively, for an interview about Capcom's upcoming fighting game. We learn about how they're pulling inspiration from the worlds of Final Fight and Third Strike, why Modern Control Type "is not an 'Easy Mode'" and should be used in tournament play, and finally, how the team is learning from Street Fighter 5's mistakes to ensure a vibrant future for the series.

The background characters with very short, stilted, and awkward animation loops feel like something out of a Dreamcast game. It really brings the presentation of the whole thing down. They haven't been able to nail the backgrounds in a 3D SF game yet. The whole art style is weird, honestly. The strange paint trails/splats really do look like Splatoon.

People forget that SF2 was basically the equivalent of an AAA game when it came out. It had top tier presentation and graphics. One on one fighting games are one of the most computationally simple types of video games. They should be able to go absolutely ape on the graphics. They should look incredible by now, but for some reason, open world games have better graphics. Something is rotten in Denmark.

No more cross-ups in corner seems like. Kinda don't like this being removed tbh.

That said, gotta wait and see how it plays out; apparently Drive features might make corner cross-ups irrelevant.

Last edited:

No more cross-ups in corner seems like. Kinda don't like this being removed tbh.

That said, gotta wait and see how it plays out; apparently Drive features might make corner cross-ups irrelevant.

There were a few things a bit wonky, like the wall bounce throwing the opponent over your head if you are too close to the corner, or some of the damage scaling. It might still be in by the time of release.

[Sigma]

Mister Crimson really showed a good glimpse Drive Rush in that exhibition like no other thus far despite having so little time to play it. Im excited for the other mechanics too but Drive Rush looks like it's going to be really something in this game.

Check the 1:48 minute mark. I thought it was a traditional corner cross up, but Jamie does a jumping kick, and the blocking animation seems to register in front even though Ryu turns around for a few frames(I used slow mo), then Jamie goes on to land behind the opponent anyway to put himself in the corner. Maybe I don't know what I'm looking at.

IMG_4541.png

Leaked image of Juri in SF6 from a German source. Damn, she is looking FINE in the new engine, I dig the vibe 😍

IMG_4540.png

And this one here, from the same source, appears to be Kimberly. Seems like her backstory is tied to Guy's, I think she's training under him, but she has a strong like for 1980's stuff. Missed chance for a Walkman reference there, tho 😉

These should definitely be part of the SF6 announcements we get later today. I'm pretty dang hyped.

Last edited:
Leaked image of Juri in SF6 from a German source
She actually looks younger than her previous iterations. IIRC she was 25 in SF4, and a significant amount of time is supposed to have passed between that game and SF6, to the point where Ryu is officially "old" now. I'm guessing she'd be in her early/mid 30s at least, but she could pass for a teenager here.

But then again, this shit has never made sense. I think Makoto was 15 in 3rd Strike, which would have made her like 10 years old in SF4.

[Sigma]

Looking forward to the reveals. Hopefully I can play Juri in this game lol. Wasn't getting jiggy with her SFV gameplay like I did in SFIV.

She actually looks younger than her previous iterations. IIRC she was 25 in SF4, and a significant amount of time is supposed to have passed between that game and SF6, to the point where Ryu is officially "old" now. I'm guessing she'd be in her early/mid 30s at least, but she could pass for a teenager here.

But then again, this shit has never made sense. I think Makoto was 15 in 3rd Strike, which would have made her like 10 years old in SF4.

10 year old Makoto would still demolish some fools tho, for sure xD.

Yeah, Juri does look younger in the new pic but I think part of that is also due to the artstyle shift, which kind of does that with some of the returning (female) characters so far. Or at least certainly with Juri here, which I think is also Capcom "cutesifying" her more like Korean K-Pop idols tend to go for.

Looking forward to the reveals. Hopefully I can play Juri in this game lol. Wasn't getting jiggy with her SFV gameplay like I did in SFIV.

She definitely played way different in V than IV, I think they'll add back more of her IV moves this time around though, same with Poison. Gief could really use Green Hand, too.

Last edited:

amigastar

Street Fighter V had Rollback, no reason to assume Street Fighter 6 wont have rollback.

Juri can get it.
In this new engine Im expecting fucking thighs!!!!!!!
IMG_4541.png

gCu6iGT.jpg
I've just looked it up and SF V had appearently bad rollback netcode, maybe thats why i assumed SF V didn't have rollback.

Hot5pur

Was a big fan of SFV, but not loving the visual from a technical standpoint. It also doesn't seem more appealing than SFV.
Hopefully things will change for the better but for some reason I'm very unimpressed, perhaps GG:Strive has spoiled me.

nbkicker

The more i see of this the more i want the game, even though i no there prob gonna be a uproar when capcom announce the season passes for extra charachters etc, but for me will be buying twice anyway just like 5 on pc and ps4, this time will be pc and either ps5 or xbox x, just hope this is a early 2023 and not late 2023 title

Last edited:
The more i see of this the more i want the game, even though i no there prob gonna be a uproar when capcom announce the season passes for extra charachters etc, but for me will be buying twice anyway just like 5 on pc and ps4, this time will be pc and either ps5 or xbox x, just hope this is a early 2023 and not late 2023 title

PS4/PS5 & PC for me (console-wise depends on if Capcom allows for an upgrade from PS4 version to PS5 version. Hopefully they do...tho by the time this comes out I should have a PS5 for a while then anyway. Need to check on PS Direct actually sometime this month). Console because that's probably where the largest audience will be and PS4/PS5 will likely be tournament standard. PC for the mods, obviously.

Release-wise this should definitely be out by March of 2023. They'll want it out in time for the start of the next CPT, which should start either March or April 2023, considering EVO Japan will most likely be the last major tournament where SFV is a main game, and I think Capcom Cup for the 2022 season will be early 2023, and that'll definitely be the last CC for SFV as the main game (or featured game).

They really need to lock the facial features to one. It looks really stupid when you cycle through them, which is what is going to happen since people tend to mash buttons on that screen.

Yeah, the faces are a neat gimmick but like the commentary tracks I'll probably turn them off or not use them after a couple of weeks xD. I think it'd of probably been even cooler if you could cycle through taunts at that screen, but that'd probably require a camera pan-out which might not be fitting to the design they want.

Someone had to do it. I think it was everyone's first thought when they saw it.

NGL that Super (or is it his Critical Art?) looks pretty brutal. Thankfully without being overly violent or gory.

Leave the hyper-violence and gore to Mortal Kombat please and never even think about a SF/MK crossover, Capcom! Some IP should just stay in their own lanes, stay in their own universes. Don't need nightmares about Street Fighter characters.

NGL that Super (or is it his Critical Art?) looks pretty brutal. Thankfully without being overly violent or gory.

Leave the hyper-violence and gore to Mortal Kombat please and never even think about a SF/MK crossover, Capcom! Some IP should just stay in their own lanes, stay in their own universes. Don't need nightmares about Street Fighter characters.

Did you forget about the rated T Mortal Kombat Vs DC? It's only slightly more violent than SFXTekken,.

The real reason why a crossover wouldn't work is because MK characters don't move like anime characters. There's no frame skips to make the game look faster. It's the same reason a VF vs. SF wouldn't work, not to mention VF doesn't involve powers and everyone just fights with their bare hands.

Hot5pur

Nice to see some higher level play, definitely getting things more hyped.
Hopefully they do a beta or have an early demo, would be really nice to check this out.
Still think the graphics/design could have been a bit more polished, but eh

Did you forget about the rated T Mortal Kombat Vs DC? It's only slightly more violent than SFXTekken,.

How many people even remember that game tho? It's also seemingly the exception rather than the rule with MK. Altho thinking about it more, the Injustice games have been rated T as well, so there is that.

The real reason why a crossover wouldn't work is because MK characters don't move like anime characters. There's no frame skips to make the game look faster. It's the same reason a VF vs. SF wouldn't work, not to mention VF doesn't involve powers and everyone just fights with their bare hands.

Yeah, pretty much. They have very different visual and animation styles and principals, among other things. 3D fighters in particular are also designed around very different frame data concepts than 2D or 2.5D fighters (and jumping being less prevalent in 3D fighters on top of all that).

Yeah, pretty much. They have very different visual and animation styles and principals, among other things. 3D fighters in particular are also designed around very different frame data concepts than 2D or 2.5D fighters (and jumping being less prevalent in 3D fighters on top of all that).

Tekken may be 3D but it's still an Animeish fighter in how its mechanics and animations work, so that crossover while not perfect, can work. But SNK is a much better example of what game works very well crossing over with SF.

But in VF a block actually requires the character to start and finish movements, and then unfold those movements entering into a counter attack, where in SF a block is near instant by switching the model to a blocking frame and then being able to immediately attack as soon as you let go of back. VF doesn't have characters instantly change to a block frame, and they have more easily telegraphed attacks due to the animation. and while VF and MK can both be fast they aren't anywhere near as fast as SF and Anime fighters for this reason.

But it's not just with 3D fighters, there are 2D fighters (other than MK) that do that too, and those games wouldn't work in a crossover.

As much as people want to separate 'anime fighters" from SF, SF is an anime fighter, always has been.

Top Bottom