• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street fighter 6 looks mid imo

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Tekken had a campaign like that back in the day. It’s not unheard of. Mortal kombat has been doing campaigns since 2011.

This is exactly the problem with gaming in general. We have stopped evolving genres. No one bothers to innovate within a genre or mix two. Everyone wants to play the same game over and over again.

Have fun. Just don’t complain when people get sick of the same formula. Ignore the thread instead of telling people what they should or should not play.
I dont think you know the meaning of "evolving". What you suggesting is not innovation, it just turning it in to different genre.

Again what you are looking for is games like God Hand and Sifu, not a fighting game.

Edmund

I'm a massive SF5 fan (You can call me a 16'er) but SF6 is better than SF5 in every way possible.

Better gameplay and mechanics, WAY better netcode (These are the 3 most important things in a fighting game), and the graphics are nice. Not great, but it's nice. And world tour mode seems to add a lot of content for casuals and even hardcore folks like me.

That said, I wish SF6 went current gen only.

Last edited:

mxbison

I don't like the visuals and it still doesn't feel as snappy as SF4 but overall it seems a lot better than SFV. I'm looking forward to it, doubt I'll put hundreds of hours into it though.

e0n

The World Tour mode looks janky and I did not see many positive impressions on it. I think they could have kept create a character, but still have a cinematic story mode with the actual fighters involved in a major plot.

lyan

Haven't played enough to comment on mechanics.
Models are technically better but there is a stylistic difference that is going to be subjective.
The attack animations though they have definitely cut some corners.

Models are technically better but there is a stylistic difference that is going to be subjective.
Models are technically worse.

fJT4fQs.png

TPamWYA.png

Markio128

The general fighting seemed fun to me in the demo, but that World Tour mode was terrible, particularly the performance - hopefully it can be massively improved before the final game is released, otherwise, I won’t be spending any time with that mode.

[Sigma]

The general fighting seemed fun to me in the demo, but that World Tour mode was terrible, particularly the performance - hopefully it can be massively improved before the final game is released, otherwise, I won’t be spending any time with that mode.
The performance is good if you put in performance mode. As to why the game runs like that in Resolution mode, no clue, the visual difference doesn't seem much to warrant such a drop at first glance.

EDIT: I didn't know if you where talking about PS5/XSX consoles or not, my bad.

Last edited:
Better face , better hair , better character lighting . Not sure how is it technically worse . At it worst it's still better than SFV

You're trying to nitpick screenshot with motion to create a false narrative .

TPamWYA.png

yJNKys7.png
I'm not trying to nitpick anything. This is the second set of comparison screenshots as people blamed the first one on it not being HD hence why I include the "HD" settings icon in the bottom right corner.

The screenshot you took looks just as bad. The face and hair especially looks bad compared to V. It looks very grainy and this will become more obvious over time after the game comes out.

kunonabi

There's a bigger focus on motion capture now and it looks terrible especially with the more outlandish moves.

Hoppa

I'm not trying to nitpick anything. This is the second set of comparison screenshots as people blamed the first one on it not being HD hence why I include the "HD" settings icon in the bottom right corner.

The screenshot you took looks just as bad. The face and hair especially looks bad compared to V. It looks very grainy and this will become more obvious over time after the game comes out.
No way in hell Kens infamous banana hair looks better

Markio128

The performance is good if you put in performance mode. As to why the game runs like that in Resolution mode, no clue, the visual difference doesn't seem much to warrant such a drop at first glance.

EDIT: I didn't know if you where talking about PS5/XSX consoles or not, my bad.
I can’t remember if I tried performance mode or not. It was on PS5 btw.

Tbh, I didn’t play the demo for too long because there were only two characters to try in arcade mode. I’m looking forward to being able to play with the full roster of characters though. A solid arcade mode was all I was wanting from the game, so World Tour mode is irrelevant to me.

I think I would have been more interested in the World Tour mode if it had just been a side-scrolling adventure, similar to The Way of the Exploding Fist 2.

[Sigma]

Looks like it will be the best SF to me 🥸, only thing missing is SF3 characters like Dudley, they need to fix that asap.
I want him and Makoto to return for SF6, i just know they're going to be fun with all the stuff this game allows. No way Capcom is leaving those two highly requested characters out of the game twice in a row. I would like G to return also, enjoyed him and loved his personality in SFV. Also enjoyed Akira but she came in at the end of SFV, I just don't expect her back unfortunately.

MagnesD3

I want him and Makoto to return for SF6, i just know they're going to be fun with all the stuff this game allows. No way Capcom is leaving those two highly requested characters out of the game twice in a row. I would like G to return also, enjoyed him and loved his personality in SFV. Also enjoyed Akira but she came in at the end of SFV, I just don't expect her back unfortunately.
For me I need Dudley, Hugo, Urien, Q, G, Oro and Sodom. Gens Apprentice would be a cool new character too. I just hope Sf3 doesn't get ignored in Season 2, Sf6 is literally the closest in the timeline and they are still ignoring the hell out of them :/

Last edited:

Nydius

I haven’t played a fighting game in ages. That’s not an exaggeration, it’s been a very long time since I cared about the genre. But everything they’ve shown about SF6 has made me interested and then trying out the demo really piqued my interest. So it’s certainly not looking mid to me.

While I may not have played SF5 or MK11, I have watched others play them and as an observer I think SF6 looks better than 5 by far.

nbkicker

For me been a streetfighter fan since the first one in the arcade, when people complained about the barebones 5 at release i was there playing and enjoying it, so far played the beta and the demo and love it, well love the arcade or fighting ground bit, the world tour mode isnt for me and looks rubbish, but the fighting ground im loving, i like the charachter designs, but i still think the game should have left the ps4 behind, the last lot of previews that went out has got me excited about the game and currently got it preoderd the £99 ps5 edition and the full steam edition

mxbison

when people complained about the barebones 5 at release i was there playing and enjoying it

Even the barebones stuff didn't work for many people at release. Challenge mode crashing and losing progress, online mode not working.

It was a complete dog shit release and there is no excusing it. The fact that it got 77 on Metacritic just proved again how biased/bought reviewers are when it comes to AAA publishers.

After playing both betas, this is the first Street Fighter that I'm not 100% in love with over the previous one. It's a great game, and will be even better as time goes on, but there are some core things that I don't like. Some aspects such as the overall inability to do cross ups in the corner, limited wake up options or how homogenized the game feels really do rub me the wrong way. Still, I have the ultimate version pre-ordered and can't wait to get into it.

nbkicker

Ryu's SF6 model literally looks worse than it does in 5.
oSg2W0l.png

Q5I2bUx.png

More where that came from. Just kind of sums up the downgrade when the main character looks like such a noticeable downgrade.
Are you playing on a 40yr old tv or need glasses cleaned or something, cause ive got sfv on ps5 and pc as well as beta and demo on both and there is no way any of the charachters in sf6 are graphically worse then sfv, at least use clear screenshots not blurry low resolution ones

nbkicker

Even the barebones stuff didn't work for many people at release. Challenge mode crashing and losing progress, online mode not working.

It was a complete dog shit release and there is no excusing it. The fact that it got 77 on Metacritic just proved again how biased/bought reviewers are when it comes to AAA publishers.
Ill agree for some people it wasnt good, but for me whos been gaming for nearly 40yrs i have got use to going from a arcade just playing 1vs1 and till this day i still believe the whole point of fighting game is to pick yr best charachter and compete against someone elses to see how good you are.

lyan

Models are technically worse.

fJT4fQs.png

TPamWYA.png
Can you pinpoint what exactly is better in technical aspect? While I think 5 Ryu is better artistically characters in 6 do have more detailed textures and polycount for example, and rely less "painted on" details.
Lighting is different but I wouldn't say one is more advanced than the other.

Ev1L AuRoN

I disagree on each point you made, and I think that in the fighting community the game is being well received. Maybe the casual appeal is not there and the game is not to everyone's taste but so far I'm pleased with the game, loving the new character design and the mechanics are fun, a lot of tools to allow players to express themselves in a fight.

[Sigma]

Hmm SFV characters can look clean but the problem with them was the enormous amount clippings. Hair and clothes. Especially things like dresses when it came to clothes. Hair ends all up in their body and clothes. It was ridiculous. Capcom never bothered to fix it. Had to stop using Falke's professional outfit even though I liked it standing still because the dress was just start falling apart lol. SF6 character art is eh, i wouldn't say it's the best, it's ok but SF6 handles clipping WAY better. Physics of the cloth too. With the exception of random things like Jury's top lol. Also SF6 characters have realtime muscle deformation and battle damage(though you can't see all of the battle damage in realtime during the match).

Last edited:

nbkicker

Hmm SFV characters can look clean but the problem with them was the enormous amount clippings. Hair and clothes. Especially things like dresses when it came to clothes. Hair ends all up in their body and clothes. It was ridiculous. Capcom never bothered to fix it. Had to stop using Falke's professional outfit even though I liked it standing still because the dress was just start falling apart lol. SF6 character art is eh, i wouldn't say it's the best, it's ok but SF6 handles clipping WAY better. Physics of the cloth too. With the exception of random things like Jury's top lol. Also SF6 characters have realtime muscle deformation and battle damage(though you can't see all of the battle damage in realtime during the match).
Im sure in the new previews that came out this week on youtube if u watch the charachters do get battle damage as you play through each match, as u can see bruising on arms and legs through the matches, although u can turn on/off if u want or dont want it in finale game

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I just can't seriously invest in any 2D fighting games. Just feels like playing in the stone age. We've been past this since Virtua Fighter 1.

I tried the SF demo and it was pretty off putting how much pointless dialogue there was. The story mode seems cool if everyone would shut up. The art style is not flattering.

Hot5pur

SF6 graphics are definitely better, but the design is not necessarily better. Some characters in 5 look more alive, threatening, "cooler" than in 6. Perhaps because the cast is now older.
Graphically 6 looks ok, not great, some of the backgrounds use very low textures and the character models have a plasticky look to them, mostly last gen (which makes sense as it's a cross gen title). MK11 from 4 years ago looks quite a bit better than SF6.

Gameplay wise SF6 looks good. The colors are a bit distracting and the hitstop could be better, but overall looks solid. The singleplayer mode I think was a waste of resources but good for them for trying something new. Personally I feel the way MK/Injustice does singleplayer is most robust so would have preferred Capcom try that for a change.

I think SF6 will appeal to more people but I don't necessarily feel it has generated that much hype around it. Pros I think will enjoy it and keep playing for a long time but I suspect casuals may move on rather quickly, especially with MK12 coming out this year.

I am in the wait and see category right now. Will most likely get it but not sure I'll spend as much time with it as I did with SFV which got me quite a bit more excited. A few too many things I find a bit irksome with SF6 but I hope it does well.

SkylineRKR

I generally don't care much for SF anymore since I dropped vanilla SFIV after a few months. VI looks, okay ish. I am not really hyped for it or anything. Its just there. I still play Hyper Fighting and SF3 from time to time. For me these is peak SF. I don't really care about anything that came out after it.

World tour mode looks kind of fun, they really try to do SP content here.

As for the characters, I think most of them look like shit. But I have the same criticism about SF3, a lot of chars in the roster I never even picked, and I play that. So its not saying everything.

Skyfox

Demo was phenomenal as far as I'm concerned.

I've no interest in the open world thing but the base game seems incredible.

I've preordered the ultimate edition for my steam deck.

As for Series X and PS5, I thought it looked great but strange how well it looks on steam deck! Dualsense feels better for this kind of game but I'm hoping they can push the Series X version even further with more updates.

Liking what I'm seeing. Adding parry again like 3rd strike, love that. New characters and adding more to the game than just a fighter too with the editor.

stn

The thing with fighting games these days is that the finished product will often be much different than the first version. I found launch SFV boring but I loved it by the end. Anyway, launch SF6 looks good so far even though I don't find the roster too compelling (I love that DJ is in but don't care for Luke, Kimberly, Lily, or Jamie).

I want the deep fighting combat mechanics in an actual action adventure game. The melee combat systems of souls, dmc and gow are all reliant on weapon melee combat. I want to play melee game where i can do more than just punch and kick and these shooters and action games are just not doing it for me.

Mortal kombat has these great story modes with incredible setpieces and cutscenes. I want to actually play those cutscenes.
It's was made more than 20 years ago and called Shenmue. It flopped hard despite being at the time the best thing to play ever... You really want to compare SF6 to Shenmue. Okey then, it's gonna be bombed like never!

I want an arcade mode in a fighting game. There was none in Smash on WiiU, none in SF5 and hated them. At least, we have KOF.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I played the demo. The open world bit is a hard pass for me, but the fighting itself feels like Street Fighter and that's all I really need. All I really have a use for is the arcade and vs mode, and since i'm not someone who is a hardcore competitive online fighter I really don't think i'll bother picking it up until it's in the 20-30 range.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
I’m not a competitive online player so yeah, looks very whatever. Not hyped for it and with Diablo 4 releasing at the same time I won’t even be thinking about it.

Not saying it's right, but it's the only way I play. However, I will say that the Dualshock 3 was markedly better than Dualshock 4 or the DualSense, particularly the shoulder buttons.
DS3 was good but I also like the DS4's dpad.
But for SF I need six face buttons so I couldn't use any Sony or Microsoft pad.

nbkicker

Ive kept two spare dual shock 4s for fighting games plus got a arcade stick as the dualsense is rubbish for fighting games where u playing with six buttons, even on my steam deck i connect a dualshock 4 when playing tekken or streetfighter

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I think the game looks fun, but the demo focusing on that character creator mode, along with the 30 fps default setting did nothing good for this game. Mid? Maybe from the demo, but not in general.

The game looks bad... But I dint play it yet so I don't know.

I just really wish that defensive/space control fighting games come back, I like super turbo and vanilla sf4 the most...

I'm not really into fighting games so I can't comment on this topic much. To me the storyline for Street Fighter V was meh and the dialogue was borderline cringe. This game is basically an improved Street Fighter V on the surface, though I do like some of the characters models *cough* Chun-Li *cough*.

Top Bottom