• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter IV: 1up/EGM Info (3d graphics, 2d game)

Grayman

1up/EGM
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3164488

SF%20IV%20Ryu.jpg

Numbers are supposed to be impressive, right? Well, it's been 10 years, two hardware generations, and about seventeen thousand rumors since the last pure number Street Fighter came around. And today we have the first ever official details on Street Fighter IV.

We don't blame you if your eyes have already skipped down to the screenshot lower on the page (yes, that's from the game engine). Take your time. But we've got some information as well, so the rest of this is probably worth reading when you get a chance.

Though the screenshot doesn't answer this question outright, we can confirm that the game's graphics are polygonal but the gameplay is strictly 2D. There will be new moves, locations, and gameplay features, while the standard six button control scheme remains. Ryu and Ken return along with Chun-Li and Dhalsim, but beyond that the character roster is a mystery. And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality).

For the full reveal of the game -- including hands-on impressions, a rundown of the new gameplay system, and loads of details on new features -- look for the January 2008 issue of EGM in stores soon and hitting subscribers any day now. And then after you check the issue out, keep your eye on 1UP's Street Fighter IV hub page for ongoing coverage continuing into January.

Anyway, are you still reading this? Didn't you see the screenshot above? Click it and look at the larger version! All your friends are doing it...

From the mag via schuelma http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215633
SF IV Info:

-Producer is Yoshinori Ono, who worked on SF Alpha, SF III, and oversaw Capcom Fighting Revolution

-Ono wants it to be the "second coming" of SF II. Wants it to feel like "homecoming" for SF II fans.

-Online play is planned with potential for microtransactions such as new characters and stages

-The look is not really similiar to the teaser trailer. A "cartoon-shaded style that manages to evoke SF II reimagined in 3d"

- runs in 60FPS

- Gameplay sticking with 2D- Ono wants to "preserve the strategic nature of SF II"

-camera doesn't budge

- Trying to get "as many SFII characters in as possible"

- Takes place after SFII Turbo and before SF III

-Controls are traditional- "in its current early state, the game feels remarkably close to Super SFII Turbo"

- Game is more aggressive- more about attacking than defending. Many of the SF III and Alpha gameplay systems have been scrapped.

- Producer says they haven't decided what platforms or even if there will be an arcade version. Version Shane played was running on a P.C

- Ono suggests Capcom could make a PS2 or DS version if "they deem the market suitable"

-Ono not enthusiastic about making it an exclusive- wants to get it out on as many platforms as possible

CAPCOM
http://press.capcom.com/release.asp?i=59
CAPCOM® KICKS OFF THE NEXT GENERATION OF FIGHTING GAMES WITH STREET FIGHTERTM IV
The Next Round of the Definitive Fighting Game Experience Combines 3D Graphics with Classic Street Fighter Feel
Capcom®, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today officially announced development of Street Fighter™ IV, the next iteration of the genre-establishing fighting game series. This marks the first new entry announced in nearly eight years, following the acclaimed Street Fighter III Third Strike.

In its amazing twenty year history, Street Fighter has revolutionized the fighting genre and created a global legacy like no other. Few details have been released on the new game, outside of a heart-pounding preview trailer that set the gaming community on fire when it was released in October on the official website, StreetFighterWorld.com.

Capcom is proud to announce the return of four classic “World Warriors” in Street Fighter IV: returning favorites Ryu, Ken, Chun-Li, and Dhalsim. The characters and environments are rendered in stylized 3D computer graphics (CG), while the game is played in the classic Street Fighter 2D perspective with additional 3D camera flourishes. The traditional six-button controls for the game will return, with a host of new special moves and features integrated into the input system. Mixing tried-and-true classic moves and techniques with all-new, never-before-seen gameplay systems, Street Fighter 4 brings a brand new fighting game to fans the world over.

Everything that made the legendary Street Fighter II a hit in arcades, living rooms and dormitories all over the world has been brought to bear here, with even more surprises. With the inclusion of Capcom's latest advancements in new generation technology, Street Fighter IV promises to deliver an extraordinary experience that will re-introduce the world to the time-honored art of virtual martial arts.

Features:
• 2D/3D fighting environments
• Classic Street Fighter characters re-imagined for a new generation of gamers
• New special moves that go beyond any Street Fighter fan's wildest imagination
• Amazing locations never seen before in a Street Fighter game
• New gameplay elements provide new challenges for both newcomers and the most seasoned Street Fighter pro.

For more information, visit http://www.streetfighterworld.com

The "Leak" - Verfied for in post 1402
http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-new-info-and-pictures-from-street-fighter-iv-leaked-58045.phtml
Brazilian gaming blog Blogeek has apparently gotten big news on the upcoming Street Fighter IV game and they are more than happy to share it with the Internets. Check out the translated info below:

The graphics aren't the way they are in the teaser that everyone watched. The game's still pretty, but it has nothing of that ink-splashing or anything. Art direction is interesting. Unlike all the other 3D fighters, SFIV is not meant to be photo realistic.

Street Fighter IV runs at 60 frames per second.

Street Fighter IV will have online play.

The game takes place after Super Street Fighter II Turbo and before SFIII. The good news is that the character roster will be made of many old-school brawlers and some entirely new ones. There are two new girls on the list. We will probably not see any SFIII characters.

The stage you saw at 1Up, if you didn't figure out, is Chun-Li's Stage from SF2.

The excellent Parry system form SFIII is gone. The new system seems to be called Saving or Revenge (we're not sure about the name). We don't know exactly how it works, but it's built around cancels. And we do know we'll have another gauge to activate the Saving/Revenge stuff, besides the usual Super Gauge.

Supers are there (although they didn't decide yet if it will be like in SSF2T or SFIII), and now they've put another moves called Ultras. These makes your character throws a auto combo with tons of moves. It's like a custom combo ... except by the custom part.

Shen Long may appear in the game. We are NOT kidding.

The consoles are not decided yet, really. But, assuming that SFIV will have online play, we can obviously think of Xbox 360 and PS3 (duh). It's very likely that we'll see an arcade version without online mode too, and our sources told us that Capcom could put some test machines in Japan arcades in Q2 next year.

Of course, until we hear something from Capcom or pick up the next issue of EGM, we can't be too sure about this info. So why run with this then? Because Blogeek also provided us with two new screenshots from the game. Looks like a little old blog site got the exclusive before a major publication ... ouch. Of course, there's always that one percent chance that Blogeek has the worlds best Photoshop artist on their team ...

In any case, what do you all think about this latest info?
http://www.blogeek.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/sfivscreen001.jpeg
http://www.blogeek.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/sfivscreen008.jpeg

James Mielke's(1up editor) response to the situation.

GAMEPLAY

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=144954
whats out: parries, alpha counters, tech rolls, custom combos, air blocking, air fireballs.

it features a new revenge gauge. the revenge gauge is a four sectioned meter that builds up as you take damage. once full you can unleash an unblockable attack..... crap I read that right... um you can also cancel this unblockable combo by dashing once canceld you can follow up with ex moves to continue juggles.... so every character has unblockables now....

its gonna be online

it also has something called an ultra combo which is pretty much a really long cinematic super sorta like the once in the naruto games...

Spooty Whiteboy on SRK
Ok. I just read the mag. Here are the details. I made sure to read into everything, so this should answer some questions.

There are two meters:
- The Revenge Meter, which builds up by getting hit.
- The Super Meter, which we will assume builds up by attacking.

The Revenge Meter:
- The Revenge Meter is made up of four sections.
- There are 3 uses for the Revenge Meter; they are EX moves, Saving Strikes, and an unblockable attack (I didn't catch the name of the unblockable).
- EX moves act just like in SFIII. They cost one section. They can be canceled with a forward, or backward, dash.
- Saving Strikes are executed with HP+HK. They cost one section. They are invincible. They can be canceled with a forward, or backward, dash.
- The unblockable move is done by charging a Saving Strike. It cost three sections. It is invincible.

The Super Meter:
- It is to be assumed that there is one section in the Super Meter.
- Currently every character has one super. Ryu's Shinkuu Hadoken, for example, is done the same way as in ST. It uses the Super Meter.
- An Ultra is performed by doing the super motion with two buttons. The Ultra cost the Super Meter as well as one section of the Revenge Meter. It is longer than normal supers, and include dramatic camera angles.

Taunt:
- Taunts are performed by pressing MP+MK

Throw:
- Throws are performed by pressing LP+LK

Quick Rise:
- Performed by pressing...I forget, but I think it is down+P+K as you hit the ground.

The best quote of the interview:
"...throws are still cheap..."

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Post some of the article, jesus it's like you people haven't ever made a thread before.

edit: thanks

Looks fucking hot btw.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Hot potato with the threads :lol. Anyways, Capcom is god, i have faith this game will be amazing.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Link, Hi-res pic, article snippet, bolding....sounds like a recipe for success.

Again, I like what I'm seeing here. More please.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
You win at not getting a thread on SF4 locked.

I feel the need to play some SF, and i will get my ass kicked :(

Ferrio

Banned
Already posted... heh

Anyways, a rundown of what I've already said. Overall I'm disappointed, reasons:

-3D engine. Ya it's 2.5, but so was Street Fighter EX and lots of other polygonal based fighters. There has yet been one to truly capture the feel of 2D fighting games yet, maybe this will be the one.... but based on past results...

-Dhalsim. Does not bode well for the cast in my opinion. I'd hoped for a new roster, but since dhalsim made the cut, good chance a lot of the SFII cast did (ugh). If there's a HUGE roster then all is fine, but I'd really like to see more underused and new characters.

-Background/Dhalsim made me initially think it's a remake of SFII. Someone pointed out chun li has always tended to have the chinese market thing going on, so maybe not but the thought still lingers.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
topscouse said:
This looks so bloody awesome, i hope it comes out for the Wii pretty please capcom.

I'm sure Ryu's got at least one Wiimote in his trousers so that could be a hint.

Mdk7

And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality).
Exclusive launch title on 9/9/9 for Dreamcast 2, BELIEVE!! :D

I like the screen A LOT, it's like a completely new and fresh look for 3d graphics... It does really look like the glorious trailer, indeed. I wish they'll include all those ink-like effects in the game too!

Something that doesn't fully convince me is the character design... a little too manwa/monkey-like.

In any case, DO WANT!

pswii60

Looks cool. Hope it comes to PS3 or 360 soon after the Arcade.

Anyone know when this SFIV EGM is due out? EDIT: Sorry, 18th Dec.

The game looks awesome. June 15 cannot come quickly enough!

I'm a little surprised at the cast of characters announced thus far. Ken, Ryu, and Chun Li were givens, but I wasn't expecting to see Dhalsim ever again. I hope more SF2 characters show up. Based on Ryu's crotch in that picture, I'm almost afraid of what they'll do with Zangief.

WhyMe6

It's hard to see why Ryu's getting so excited over starring in a Dimps developed game :/

Oh-ho-ho did you see what I did there?

As long as Cammy makes it in I'll be happy...

Nikashi

Banned
I am guessing 360/PS3 for sure, Wii MAYBE (This doesn't look like something that requires a ton of graphical power).

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no arcade release at all.

Acosta

hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot hot!

This is (more or less) exactly what I was looking for, love it.

Top Bottom