• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter IV: 1up/EGM Info (3d graphics, 2d game)

dankir

Jirotrom said:
I have to agree... I'm sure Capcom understands they can't fuck this up no matter what. I would be damn scared if I were in their shoes.

Holy crap we finally agree for the first time in this thread!

PRAISE THE GODS!

_Xenon_

Banned
sfivscreen008.jpg

Hmm judging from the camera angle here, how can you say it's a 2D game?

_Xenon_ said:
sfivscreen008.jpg

I knew Capcom was lying to us! Those aren't hadokens either, they're ...keep this on the D-L...they're sausages....from space.. *twitch*

D.Lo

Actually, while this is resembling the EX series, there is another parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb0FMf1iJww

Street Fighter: The Movie was originally going to be Street Fighter 3, and also copied its inferior (but at the time more popular) competitors ideas to try and remain 'with it' (in that case the 'realistic digitised graphics', in this case 'realistic 3D graffix').

Here's a quote from that thread from Co-Designer and Art Director of SF:TM Alan Noon:
Perhaps this is all my perception, but looking back, I remember that there was some amount of confusion as to what it was we were making exactly. It could have been the international game of “Telephone,” but somewhere along the communication chain from the Capcom Japan guys to the Capcom USA guys, to our management, down to the team, there seemed to be mixed signals. I distinctly recall that originally during the pitch process the game was billed as Street Fighter 3. We were to pull out all of the stops and make the greatest Street Fighter ever. More characters! Digitized graphics! New combo system! The works! We set about writing up all kinds of great stuff to include in the final product. One of those things was even Sheng Long.
It was ultimately the biggest failure in the franchise's history, primarily because it wasn't even as good as the inferior game it was aping.

Not that I'm saying this will be anywhere as bad as SF:TM (and in fact the EX hate here is a bit overblown IMO - EX2 was pretty good apart from some poor character designs). But the thought process behind SF:TM seems very similar to the one that has produced this 'SFIV', just ten years later.

dankir

_Xenon_ said:
sfivscreen008.jpg

ITS CONFIRMED BY THE DEVELOPERS AND 1UP THEY PLAYED THE GAME!!!

Why has nobody ever heard of a replay, pausing the game and rotating the camera.... come on people?!?!

DarkSloth

God's Beard said:
Is 2d animation even any easier than back during Third Strike?

I don't really see any benefit to staying 2d other than nostalgia.
Nostalgia? Come on, don't you think some people think hand drawn sprites and animation actually look appealing?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
_Xenon_ said:
sfivscreen008.jpg

by that logic i guess we can deduce that the game wont have any health meters or clocks either?

Jirotrom

D.Lo said:
Actually, while this is resembling the EX series, there is another parallel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb0FMf1iJww

Street Fighter: The Movie was originally going to be Street Fighter 3, and also copied its inferior (but at the time more popular) competitors ideas to try and remain 'with it' (in that case the 'realistic digitised graphics', in this case 'realistic 3D graffix').

Here's a quote from that thread from Co-Designer and Art Director of SF:TM Alan Noon:
It was ultimately the biggest failure in the franchise's history, primarily because it wasn't even as good as the inferior game it was aping.

Not that I'm saying this will be anywhere as bad as SF:TM (and in fact the EX hate here is a bit overblown IMO - EX2 was pretty good apart from some poor character designs). But the thought process behind SF:TM seems very similar to the one that has produced this 'SFIV', just ten years later.
except for the fact that Capcom USA isn't developing this.

Dahbomb

Man this is disappointing as fuck.

*3D models with DARE I SAY it bad art. WTF is wrong with the mouths of Ken and Ryu?

*Rotating 2D plane? Uh oh!

*No SF3 Parry? LAME!

Jirotrom

Dahbomb said:
Man this is disappointing as fuck.

*3D models with DARE I SAY it bad art. WTF is wrong with the mouths of Ken and Ryu?

*Rotating 2D plane? Uh oh!

*Is it really coming to PS2/Wii/PSP? WTF!

*No SF3 Parry? LAME!
1. The game isn't finished
2. the game is effin 2d, for all you know thats a replay mode screen
3. hasn't been announced
4. Rumor
5. How any times does this need to be stated, unless im wrong:p CAPCOM JAPAN
EDIT, You did a stealth edit, you sly dog.

Dahbomb said:
Rotating 2D plane? Uh oh! LAME!

Don't take this personally, but why does everyone keep say "rotating plane -- oh noes!"

No where has it said rotating 2D plane, and the screens don't show it.

Jirotrom

brendanrfoley said:
Don't take this personally, but why does everyone keep say "rotating plane -- oh noes!"

No where has it said rotating 2D plane, and the screens don't show it.
Some one needs to post that smash screenshot that makes smash look like its a 3d based game.

turk128

DarkSloth said:
Nostalgia? Come on, don't you think some people think hand drawn sprites and animation actually look appealing?
And not to mention a hell lot more flexible (looking at you squash and stretch).

kazuo

Raging Spaniard said:
Typical GAF behavior is more like:

-First screen, teaser: <3 <3 <3

-Discussion regarding Transsexual/Transgender/Cross-dressing individuals

-Leaked screens, maybe finding out original team is nowhere to be seen: >:| >:| >:|

-More official screens, videos, about 3 months after initial unveiling: <3 <3 <3 again

-Demo and game ships: varies

I cant remember a single game on GAF that has had any type of smooth sailing.
FIXED

And yes, "tranny" equals transgender/transsexual, not a cross-dresser.

I'd argue Bridget is a cross-dresser cause you know.

And Poison is a tranny cause "it" is rocking a pair of juggs and none of us have exactly seen "its" package, so... we can assume from the cans that "it" is halfway done (or simply done) with "its" procedure?

...why the fuck are we talking about this hahahahaha

Quick someone posts pictures of Cammy's ass.

Olaeh

Its like the more I look at those screens the uglier it looks. This better also be coming to Wii because why else should it look like this? Of course I'd prefer an arcade release first... If anything could revive the arcade scene its SFIV... but I'm not so sure now after seeing its probably outsourced, its 3D visuals, and speculation of no arcade release....

darkvir

The two "new" shots confirm what I said early, a huge disappointment. It's really sad to see these last 2 attempts at SF. The HD Udon version and now this...

The concepts just show that it was crap from the beginning.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter now, we still have our SF3, Capcom can't ever take that away...

Crusade

Olaeh said:
Its like the more I look at those screens the uglier it looks. This better also be coming to Wii because why else should it look like this? Of course I'd prefer an arcade release first... If anything could revive the arcade scene its SFIV... but I'm not so sure now after seeing its probably outsourced, its 3D visuals, and speculation of no arcade release....
The 1up screen on page one look fantastic. Those blog screens are downsized and badly compressed. At least wait till you've seen it in HD

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Crusade said:
The 1up screen on page one look fantastic. Those blog screens are downsized and badly compressed. At least wait till you've seen it in HD

Is it going to be HD at all though, like, isn't it quite possible it will only be on wii?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
erlim said:
Is it going to be HD at all though, like, isn't it quite possible it will only be on wii?

It's possible but highly improbable that it would be wii exclusive.

More likely to be on everything, with a very scalable engine/visual style.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The Brazilian blog has really thrown a spanner in the works. Not only by releasing screen that maybe from an early build but then posting some insane information that make the people behind SF4 look like complete idiots.

I will always have hope for this game (Hell, I even had hope for Capcom fighting Jam till I played it for myself.) but that can't be said for many people where first impressions do matter.

1up yours needs to shed some light on things, and put bullshit speculations to bed.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Crusade said:
:lol

Please specify if you're joking or not before I reply

No i'm not. :(

I don't know though. I mean there certainly is a difference between a finely tuned game that can be played in serious competition like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, and games like Street Fighter EX 3 or Capcom Fighting Evolution that just aren't up to snuff. Still though I found some enjoyment in those games, and if Street Fighter 4 is the worst case scenario and is a dumbed down game with automatic combos only on the wii, I'm sure there will still be something worth playing there. Whatever the case some street fighter beats no street fighter.

Grayman

Olaeh said:
This is most likely.

I dunno if we can say PS2 confirmed based on this? Its quite possible though I think.
It's hard to say since it isn't actually in their hands, just in the room. Can anyone tell if that is a DS or a sixaxis? It's hard to judge the wire size.

Either way the second pic doesn't look like the guy is holding a wiimote and chuck.

YYZ

I have to admit that I thought the first pic was very cool-looking, but the second pic is a downer.

Is this going to be on the 1Up Show on Friday?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Grayman said:
It's hard to say since it isn't actually in their hands, just in the room. Can anyone tell if that is a DS or a sixaxis? It's hard to judge the wire size.

Either way the second pic doesn't look like the guy is holding a wiimote and chuck.

Impossible to tell. :/

If it's PS2 though, it's the most amazing PS2 game ever. I'm going to guess that is a sixaxis.

castle007

Banned
Grayman said:

I guess you have never seen Gerstmann hold a wiimote and a nunchuck :lol

Top Bottom