• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V being built on Unreal Engine 4

Compbros

Wait, MKX is on UE3? I thought it was on 4?

Nah, Warner Bros has some deal with Unreal Engine and 3 has to be used in any game made before x date if I understand it correctly and am remembering it correctly lol. I think I read it somewhere but it may have just been a rumor.

synce

I think this UE trend has to do with fighting games getting lower and lower budgets, not necessarily because it's the best engine for the job.

Toki767

I think this UE trend has to do with fighting games getting lower and lower budgets, not necessarily because it's the best engine for the job.

Pretty much, but at the same time, it's not like all these games look alike like how most UE3 games looked the same.

Gbraga

That's pretty cool. But since they're not using panty raid, does that confirm that they're co-developing this with someone? Dimps maybe?

I figured they'd just use their own engine if it was an internal project.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can't shake a funny feeling that they're going to try something like making it a F2P platform, with the focus on a PC version and making it appeal in certain markets. And the comparison to League of Legends.

Alienous

Some screens I took. Easily destroys Street Fighter 4 in every way.

vezmlp.png

For comparison, here's SF4.

When I first saw this in the footage I paused and marveled at it for a good 10 seconds before continuing. It's rare that a game's visuals do that, for me.

Baleoce

I believe it was a proprietary engine from DIMPS.

I thought Capcom was partnering with Dimps for what was previously an unannounced project? Will this just mean that Dimps themselves are going to be building the game mechanics / physics for SFV inside UE4, and then Capcom takes it from there, or is this new Dimps/Capcom collab something else? Usually like you say, Dimps build proprietary engines.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I thought Capcom was partnering with Dimps for what was previously an unannounced project? Will this just mean that Dimps themselves are going to be building the game mechanics / physics inside UE4, and then Capcom takes it from there, or is this new Dimps/Capcom collab something else? Usually like you say, Dimps build proprietary engines.

Well, they have a lot of technical staff, so it's not implausible they're working on engine modifications with Epic Japan for the game.

What engine is Revelations on ? MT Framework?

I believe so. Unreal Engine 4 doesn't work cross-gen and I think they would have been loudly shouting if it used Panta Rhei.

Kain

The art of this game is amazing at this point. It's like a mix between SFIII TS and SFIV, taking the best of both of them.

Toki767

They're adding future content LoL style rather than release yearly sequels with a new sub-title. Sounds like it'll be a platform for its entire generation.

Ah. Well I'd be fine with that. That's definitely what I originally thought they were going to do with Street Fighter IV back when DLC was new and exciting instead of a ripoff to unlock on disc content lol

Why does companys like Capcom don't use or make their own game engines anymore? I don't think that the Unreal Engine is bad, I only think that big companys like Capcom should have their own game engines, to me it feels a little bit strange ;)

Kain

Why does companys like Capcom don't use or make their own game engines anymore? I don't think that the Unreal Engine is bad, I only think that big companys like Capcom should have their own game engines, to me it feels a little bit strange ;)

Specifically for UE engines I think the licensing price is ridiculously low and it's very well documented (which is crucial in sw development) so developing your own engine when you are short in time and money is not very reasonable.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
As soon as i saw the screens, i knew it was UE4. I think i even made a post about it at the time. Not in a 'bad' way, but you could tell it was UE4, cause its the most flexible middle ware, Capcom seem to be struggling with panty raid development and its a project that still has a limit to the budget, even though Sony is funding.

Not to mention, the base tools that come with UE4 give the shaders a 'distinct' look. Something having to do with how the shadows look casting on objects when they aren't in direct illumination

Hopefully, everyone working in japan on console projects will eventually use UE4.

SykoTech

Wait a sec...16 characters? That seems pretty low. I was alright with it for Xrd since everyone's unique. But for a game like Street Fighter, where there will undoubtedly be a shoto clone or 2 (or 3), 16 doesn't seem like enough to start with.

EDIT: ^Oh, okay. Must have missed that part. I'm okay with the count if each character is going to be unique...though that makes me really curious as to how the roster is going to turn out. Imagine Guile actually getting cut...whoa.

Anyways, I'm okay with this given who phenomenal Xrd looks with just a modified version of UE3. Also, that reminds me that Kingdom Hearts III is using Unreal Engine as well. Still blows my mind. Forget fighting games, at this rate Unreal will be the default for Japan in general this gen.

Nice, i wonder how KH3 will look since it's also using the UE4. Back on topic i think this is good news! development cycle should be faster and easier with the help epic crew in Japan and the budget is going to be lower. I can see this become a trend in Japan, it's better this way instead of doing a brand new engine from scratch. Although capcom could've updated MT Frameworks i thought that engine was pretty good but it seems they're busy completing Panta Rhei engine.

antibolo

Banned
A lot of people in this thread seem unaware that Japanese devs have been using the Unreal Engine for many years now. Learning that a Japanese game uses UE at this point in time should not be surprising.

No, I see it more as being more efficient in terms of development costs, fighting games are by design very simplistic in terms of environment and therefore don't need fancy engines, so why would you waste your time making one from scratch, there's really no point.

Squire

Banned
RIP Panta Rhei?

It sounds like a total repeat of Luminous engine/Square Enix/KH3. If they don't want to stay on MTF, logically they'd go to PR.

But PR isn't ready. Their comments about it still not being able to do things they want, Deep Down's disappearance, and now SFV?

Yeah, definitely sounds like Luminous Redux.

Congrats to Epic though!

thelastword

Banned
Man, so many dev houses using middleware this gen, but why are all the fighters using Unreal? I believe Mortal Kombat would have looked better with cryengine. what's up with Namco not having a proprietary engine for Tekken are they waiting on the Soul Team?

thelastword

Banned
RIP Panta Rhei?

It sounds like a total repeat of Luminous engine/Square Enix/KH3. If they don't want to stay on MTF, logically they'd go to PR.

But PR isn't ready. Their comments about it still not being able to do things they want, Deep Down's disappearance, and now SFV?

Yeah, definitely sounds like Luminous Redux.

Congrats to Epic though!
Squares engine would make or an amazing looking fighter, that's for sure. Maybe a bouncer 2 or Ergheiz 2?

16 characters is actually quite fine to start with, I'm getting SF3 roster vibes especially since they said each character will feel unique. Characters will be added and roster will grow. I'm okay with 16

Gotta learn them matchups bros!.

Carn82

Yea, pretty disappointed that they didn't use Panta Rhei.

Could be that Panta Rhei just doesnt suit certain game types, or still pretty much in development. U4 always has been a jack-of-all-trades (but master of none); but it seems like its good enough for fighters these days. I guess that it would be more of a hassle to change/update a proprietary engine to suit a (single) game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A lot of people in this thread seem unaware that Japanese devs have been using the Unreal Engine for many years now. Learning that a Japanese game uses UE at this point in time should not be surprising.

No, I see it more as being more efficient in terms of development costs, fighting games are by design very simplistic in terms of environment and therefore don't need fancy engines, so why would you waste your time making one from scratch, there's really no point.
In theory it's also much easier for designers to tweak things themselves (like fighting moves, frame costs, etc) without having to wait for programmers using UE4 Blueprints as well.

That's probably true ;) But I still think that at least big companys like Capcom should have their own game engines ;) By the way, does Nintendo have their own game engines?
They have two internal engines. MT Framework and Panta Rhei. One is old and one is currently in development. Engines take time to create

At Capcom Cup Ono said that a big focus was that all characters play completely different from each other so there will be less characters.
Getting SF3 roster vibes with SFV and that's good more uniqueness
I will be okay with 16 if Juri is in.

Juri will be there day 1 you can book this, she was the most well received new fighter. C.Viper is the one in jeopardy atm she could be added in future updates thats just my opinion btw, since i dont see her being there day1 but who knows.

Top Bottom