• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Beta 2 Thread: Welcome, future 21007s! Now on PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vice

Your beef is with your own understanding of the word stress test. It's self-evident. You're the type that sues when you get burned for drinking hot coffee aren't you?

"JESUS! WHY IS THIS WATER SO WET??? I DEMAND TO KNOW WHOS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS AND WHY I WASN'T INFORMED!"
I don't think Capcom has ever clarified what they mean by stress test.

cwistofu

I don't think Capcom has ever clarified what they mean by stress test.
Given the context (actual set beta dates, the fact that this one only lasted a few hours), I feel like the meaning of "stress test" should be pretty self-evident.

But hey, that lady got millions for hot coffee.

Vice

Given the context (actual set beta dates, the fact that this one only lasted a few hours), I feel like the meaning of "stress test" should be pretty self-evident.

But hey, that lady got millions for hot coffee.
So what do they mean by stress test then? If someone were to participate a stress test for Overwatch or some MMO people would have a completely different expectation for what a stress test means compared to what Capcom is doing.

And, that coffee lawsuit was completely legit. It was the complete opposite of a frivolous case.

kirblar

Stress test = they want their servers slammed.

This isn't hard to figure out given that they're unannounced and that they're unconcerned with people not being able to play.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
It's understandable to be upset with the game as almost every character has seemingly gone through the ringer of nerfs and option removals. Early impressions now feel like they're almost down to the most basic of levels, as execution is a non-requirement.

However...these are only pre-release tests. I'm also staying optimistic that something will change at launch.

cwistofu

So what do they mean by stress test then? If someone were to participate a stress test for Overwatch or some MMO people would have a completely different expectation for what a stress test means compared to what Capcom is doing.

And, that coffee lawsuit was completely legit. It was the complete opposite of a frivolous case.
"Hey guys, we're testing things out before the actual beta (which itself is essentially a test) ."

Also, way to assert conclusions without any factual basis or logical inferences. Why would Overwatch stress testers expect anything more? Because... context?

Skilletor

My old boss was a lawyer and actually explained what happened during the case. I went from, "That's stupid," to, "Yeah, she definitely should have sued."

SephLuis

Someone already posted the definition of stress tess a few pages back:

From Wikipedia:

"Stress testing is a software testing activity that determines the robustness of software by testing beyond the limits of normal operation. Stress testing is particularly important for "mission critical" software, but is used for all types of software. Stress tests commonly put a greater emphasis on robustness, availability, and error handling under a heavy load, than on what would be considered correct behavior under normal circumstances."

THEY WANT YOU TO GET ERRORS

Capcom are doing that to see if and how their servers will handle day one loads. I also suspect their are tuning their matchmaking code

Vice

"Hey guys, we're testing things out before the actual beta (which itself is essentially a test) ."

Also, way to assert conclusions without any factual basis or logical inferences. Why would Overwatch stress testers expect anything more? Because... context?
So what does Capcom mean by a stress test then?

And Overwatch was just an example. If someone is accustomed to testing larger games in a beta or stress test, like Battlefront, Overwatch, etc, where there are fewer problems with things as simple as logging in then they likely wouldn't expect that for SFV which has been promoted as a large game for Capcom and has had a constant presence at big Sony events.

People have different expectations for items like betas, alphas and stress tests now. As a result, they expect better communication.

nded

Oh wow, are people getting mad about Capcom putting the beta up for a few hours outside of the scheduled dates?

Nephtes

Oh wow, are people getting mad about Capcom putting the beta up for a few hours outside of the scheduled dates?

No. People are mad because Capcom put it up, people had issues accessing it, and Capcom didn't acknowledge that they were aware of issues people we're having, or if the server had a user cap for the mini test and it had been met so attempting to access it further was futile, and people should stop trying.

Customer service communication (or lack thereof) issue, not a technical issue.

essemdub

Someone already posted the definition of stress tess a few pages back:

Capcom are doing that to see if and how their servers will handle day one loads. I also suspect their are tuning their matchmaking code

So what does Capcom mean by a stress test then?
[...]

People have different expectations for items like betas, alphas and stress tests now. As a result, they expect better communication.

Speaking from experience, a stress test can be used to test any number of scenarios. Someone posted the Wikipedia definition, which is basically accurate, so I'll point to that for a high-level explanation.

Things that Capcom might be looking for in particular are:
1. What effect does a single server crash have on our farm?
2. How do we escalate issues? What's the procedure for fixing issues?
3. Was our hardware able to support the concurrency numbers we predicted? Why? Is this is a software or hardware problem?

I'll agree that communication is bad on some of these things, but when you have PR / Community managers trying to explain loosely-defined engineering terms it's not going to come out well. Stress tests are generally understood but at the end of the day will have different objectives.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

oh god, does anyone has laying around on their steam account? http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/dec/04/special-street-fighter-5-beta-gifts-are-popping-steam/

I would like a spare ;_;

PM me, I have a spare.

No. People are mad because Capcom put it up, people had issues accessing it, and Capcom didn't acknowledge that they were aware of issues people we're having, or if the server had a user cap for the mini test and it had been met so attempting to access it further was futile, and people should stop trying.

IMO it's not even an issue but everyone has different tolerance levels and need up to date communication.

vocab

Two questions:

If I pre-order on Steam, launch the game and discover it doesn't work with my arcade stick, can I refund it?

If I pre-order on Steam, discover my stick does work, play > 2 hours during a test (before launch), can I refund it?
If its not a 360 stick, it will probably not work. Sfv does not support direct input as of now.

Nephtes

IMO it's not even an issue but everyone has different tolerance levels and need up to date communication.

If tweeting was a hard thing to do, fine.
But how hard is it to convey what you need to in 144 characters?

Capcom Should Have Tweeted said:
If you're experiencing 2100e logging in, keep trying! We're aware of the situation.

Or

Capcom Should Have Tweeted said:
The mini test server is at capacity. The 2100e message means you will not make it into the test. Sorry.

See, it's not that hard.

DunpealD

This. Nobody is mad about the mini stress test. It's purely a communication issue.
When people are reporting an error, they expect at least a response with basic information about the current status.

On gameplay side I think it remains to be seen how Ryu is going to fare. The parry is not a silver bullet, because there is a much risk involved. The removal of higher damage options could still be based on the parry parry mechanic though.
There was some testing I wanted to do, but alas i wasn't able to due to the 2100e error.

Nephtes

This. Nobody is mad about the mini stress test. It's purely a communication issue.
When people are reporting an error, they expect at least a response with basic information about the current status.

The only valid explanation I can come up with is that the English speaking U.S. Capcom PR people have no idea WTF their Japanese bosses are doing...
I mean for all we know, Capcom JP managed to tell Japanese testers about the issues much like Konami told Japanese customers about initial MGSV server issues ...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Perhaps I can finally play it this time, downloaded in June I think and never been able to get on.

vg260

I'm hoping to try this on the PC, before committing to that version. If anyone has a gift copy please, let me know. I can pass on a PS4 code if anyone needs one.

tariniel

If its not a 360 stick, it will probably not work. Sfv does not support direct input as of now.

Yeah that's why I'm worried. It's a PS3 TE Round 2 stick from 2009 or 2010.

Any idea if I can still make it work with something like joy2key? I guess I could just buy, try and refund if I can't get it to work.

I just don't want to learn to use a pad or buy a new stick, really.

Yeah that's why I'm worried. It's a PS3 TE Round 2 stick from 2009 or 2010.

Any idea if I can still make it work with something like joy2key? I guess I could just buy, try and refund if I can't get it to work.

I just don't want to learn to use a pad or buy a new stick, really.

The black and red one? I've been using that with joy2key during every beta phase on PC with no problem.

Tik-Tok

Feel free to go forth and procreate with thyself.

I know what a stress test is. My company runs stress tests and beta tests with our customers.

Guess what, we have this thing called a "beta coordinator". This person's job is to communicate with the testers to see what kinds of problems they're having or to also tell them when we know we're having a problem on our end.

But ahaha... What would I know about best practices in customer service and software development? Hahahaha...

Feel free to cancel your pre-order cause you couldn't log in to an impromptu stress test.
I don't want you around when the full game drops and you decide to rage quit cause you decide something is OP or too complex or otherwise not perfectly suited to exactly YOUR liking.

Nephtes

Feel free to cancel your pre-order cause you couldn't log in to an impromptu stress test.
I don't want you around when the full game drops and you decide to rage quit cause you decide something is OP or too complex or otherwise not perfectly suited to exactly YOUR liking.

I'm not sure what your on chief, but I think you need some help... You're delusional if you'd think I'd cancel a preorder over Capcom's crappy communication... That's not happening. Nor was it ever suggested by me that it would be the case.

By all means though, please continue to remain without a clue.

It's understandable to be upset with the game as almost every character has seemingly gone through the ringer of nerfs and option removals. Early impressions now feel like they're almost down to the most basic of levels, as execution is a non-requirement.

However...these are only pre-release tests. I'm also staying optimistic that something will change at launch.

Man I hope so. I hate to see what else Capcom can think of to make these characters even worse than they already are. Like you I'm also holding out hope for some more buffs. But whatever they are, we won't be able to test it ourselves until release unfortunately.

Man I hope so. I hate to see what else Capcom can think of to make these characters even worse than they already are. Like you I'm also holding out hope for some more buffs. But whatever they are, we won't be able to test it ourselves until release unfortunately.

Bison still feels pretty buff to me from playing him last night. He's a little less safe, lost some combos and flexibility in terms of comboing into CA. He gained a low medium kick cancel, command Psycho Inferno, and his V-skill can now parry and reflect normals... I'm VERY happy with the character.

Moaradin

Some characters definitely need more options. Ryu is pretty boring, and so is Laura. A lot of them are still really fun though. R Mika got some nerfs, but they were pretty reasonable and she's just as fun as she was in Beta 2 luckily. She still has quite a lot of mixup options.

Laura is the most basic character and that kinda sucks since I like her design. She does some interesting stuff in the 16 character trailer that recently came out though. It looks like she can combo into and off of her V Skill now? At least the trailer made it look like that. That would go a long way in making her more fun to play.

Moaradin

This is heart breaking to hear :(. She's who I'm going to be concentrating on, Mika as backup.

She was playable in the stress test a few weeks ago. She just seemed so basic and didn't have that many things to do lol

If the latest character trailer is right and she can combo with her V Skill, that will make her a lot more fun though.

Laura is a character that needs more time than most. Viscant, I believe it was, thinks she'll be really powerful. The problem with the betas is that they are so damn short it's hard to really get usage outta these characters.

But yeah, Mika is a good indication of a necessary nerf. I was kinda mad at how they dealt with the wall bounce until I saw a dude go in at the Capcom Cup in the corner. She's still dangerous as fuck.

I don't think it's really Combofiend's fault, but he did like playing lower tier characters that had to work for their wins. So I could see him wanting the cheap stuff axed out. Played Makoto in SSF4 (Though I think she was underrated in that game), still rocked She-Hulk in UMvC3 after the nerfs. He's also a big fan of CvS2 right? So I can see some influences in SFV..

Also I want to see Combofiend compete again I loved watching him play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom