• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Beta Thread: Welcome, future '16ers! (Currently Inactive!)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
qQJ936t.png

INa4tlB.png

TO CHECK BETA SERVER STATUS: http://streetfighter.com/beta/
TO SEE UPDATES: Official SF Twitter & Combofiend's Blog

LATEST UPDATE:

THE LAST REGIONAL TEST WILL OCCUR IN NA (8/26 (WED) 4pm~midnight PT) BEFORE THE BETA MOVES INTO IT'S FIRST OFFICIAL PHASE A FEW DAYS LATER (SEE UPDATED DETAILS BELOW)

The first SFV beta begins at 4PM PDT / 7PM EDT on August 28th, and runs for 5 days until September 2nd at 7AM PDT / 7PM EDT. It is expected to run continuously, though there will be intermittent maintenance at unspecific times, during which the beta will be unavailable during this time. There will be 6 characters in the beta: Ryu, Chun-Li, Nash, M. Bison, Cammy, and Birdie. The download size is 1.4GB for the client, with a 1.4GB patch, taking up just over 3GB of space altogether.

This is a closed beta, intended strictly to test out netcode and content delivery, so there is no local play or other features (i.e. Fight Money). This is the first of three betas before launch, however if you have access to the first beta you can keep the client downloaded and be automatically able to access subsequent betas.

What to Expect.
More details.

mjKyQgb.png

In North America, you need to pre-order the game at select retailers. In other regions, you may need to apply to receive a beta code directly from Capcom.

Check here to see how you can access the SFV beta.

UdfY81e.png

Street Fighter V makes tweaks and adjustments all across the board, from the Variable System and it's 3 mechanics to many small changes that differentiate it significantly from other games in the series. I would highly reccomend watching this video to get a grip of both the bigger and smaller mechanics, but below we'll detail the biggest ones for reference:

V-Gauge
The V-Gauge replaces the Revenge meter from Street Fighter IV. You can fill it up in two different ways. The first is by taking damage (blocked or connected), much like in SFIV, and the second is through V-Skills, which are described below. The size of your V-Gauge differs from character to character, ranging from 2 to 3 stocks in the characters that have been announced thus far. This is for balancing purposes, and characters with more bars take longer to fill up. The V-Gauge can be used for doing V-Reversals and activating V-Trigger. The V-Gauge does not carry between rounds.​

V-Skill
V-Skills are moves unique to each character, performed using medium punch medium kick, that help build your V-Gauge with their use. They do not cost anything to use, and are intended to provide an offensive alternative to gaining V-Gauge meter in comparison to just taking hits. Some V-Skills need to connect in order to build meter.
  • Ryu - Mind's Eye - Parries a single hit, however you can continue to parry multi-hit attacks in succession
  • Chun-Li - Rankyaku - A shorter jump compared to her regular jump that doubles as an attack and can initiate combos
  • Nash - Bullet Clear - Nash reaches his hand out and absorbs a fireball. This can also be used as a mid range poke that steals the opponent's health.
  • M. Bison - Psycho Reflect - Bison can absorb a single hit, or you can hold the input to fire a projectile back at the opponent, which comes out quickly and does 2 hits. This move can be used to absorb fireballs and physical attacks.
  • Cammy - Axel Spin Knuckle - Cammy's Spin Knuckle returns, allowing her to go around fireballs and even cross up the opponent
  • Birdie - Break Time - Birdie's V-Skill takes 3 different forms that all help him gain meter, via neutral input (eats a donut), back + input (eats a banana and throws it in front of him, opponent can slip on it), and down + input (drinks and throws a can that rolls across the screen)

V-Reversal
V-Reversals are essentially like Alpha Counters from the Alpha series of SF games, and at the cost of 1 stock of your V-Gauge allow you to perform an instant reversal while in blockstun. This is performed by holding forward and pressing all three punches with every character except Cammy, who activates it through holding forward and pressing all three kicks. They also vary slightly between characters, but mostly serve the same purpose.​

V-Trigger
V-Triggers are powered-up states, similar to the Instinct system in KI or install supers in other fighting games, activated by pressing both heavy punch and heavy kick when your V-Gauge is full. Once activated, the bar turns into a timer of sorts and slowly depletes over time and for some characters through the use of specials. If you are comboing your opponent with a normal or certain specials, you can use the V-Trigger as a cancel to extend your combo as well. Each character's V-Trigger offers them unique bonuses:
  • Ryu - Denjin Renki - Ryu's fists power up with electricity, giving him access to chargeable, electric hadoukens that can guard break at full charge, as well as powering up his critical art.
  • Chun-Li - Renkiko - Chun-Li's medium normals now do 2 hits, and her heavy normals do 3 hits.
  • Nash - Sonic Move/Steel Air - Nash does a teleport with very low start-up which consumes all of his V-Trigger and allows him to mix up. It has three variations, as you can teleport behind (forward + input), above and in front (down + input) or above and behind (back + input).
  • M. Bison - Psycho Power - Bison gets much faster, with his forward dashes turning into teleports and his specials get augmented at the cost of a bit of his V-Trigger timer in addition to becoming EX-cancellable into other EX without the need of charging when in combo.
  • Cammy - Delta Drive - Cammy's specials get powered up, doing more hits, having more velocity and being cancelleble into other specials (i.e. Spiral Arrow into Cannon Spike), each taking a stock of her V-Gauge when performed.
  • Birdie - Enjoy Time - Birdie eats a pepper and his special moves go further, do more damage, and have more hits

Stun Bar
You no longer need to estimate how much stun your character has, as there is now a meter below the health bar that indicates your stun.​

Critical Art
Critical Arts replace Supers but are pretty much the exact same thing. The Critical Gauge now has 3 stocks, in comparison to the 4 in SFIV. Another difference is that you can no longer gain meter from whiffing normals, and must connect an attack to gain meter.​

Crush Counter
Some moves upon counterhit will put your opponent into a stun state that lasts a bit longer than usual, akin to Fatal Counters in various Arc System Works games.​

HdSSNhz.png

VesperArcade Full Systems Breakdown (Highly reccomended)
SFV Fundamentals video from Cross Counter (Great for people new to SF or fighting games in general)
Move Lists
Ryu Breakdown
Chun-Li Breakdown
Nash Breakdown
M. Bison Breakdown
Birdie Breakdown
Cammy Breakdown
EVO 2015 Street Fighter V Panel - Some beta details, overall great watch

Additionally, here are some quick reference guides courtesy of Capcom:

hYaFKJs.png

Q: Why can't I play Cammy and Birdie straight away?
A: Cammy and Birdie are being injected into the game later to test a new content delivery system.

Q: Are Ken and Necalli in this beta?
A: No.

Q: Can I play with friends or invite people to play?
A: No, it is random online matchmaking only.

Q: Can I play offline?
A: No, the purpose of this beta is to be a network test.

Q: Is there a training mode?
A: Not exactly. You can fool around in a training mode as you matchmake, but there is no dedicated training mode option.

Q: What stages are there to play on?
A: At the start of a match, the stage will randomly be chosen aseither Bustling Side Street (China), Terminal Station (London), or Forgotten Waterfall (New Zealand). While waiting for matches, you will be in the game's training mode on the training mode grid stage. The Brazil stage is not in this build of the game.

Q: How do I taunt?
A: All three kicks and all three punches at the same time.

Q: If I'm in the first beta, can I get into subsequent betas automatically?
A: Yes, as long as you keep the client installed on yoru hard drive you will get access to all subsequent beta phases.

Q: Will my PS3 stick work for this beta?
A: No, you have to use a natively PS4 compatible arcade stick.

Q: Can I stream the beta?
A: You can steam using external equipment, as Share functionality is disabled within the client.

Q: Does this require a PS+ subscription to participate?
A: Yes.

Q: What's up with Fight Money and experience points? Can I use them for anything?
A: No, its' simply there as a placeholder (likely to test how fast people accrue them).

Hubb

Do I want this on PC or PS4? I'm heavily leaning towards PC even though all my other fighters are on PS4. Think I am going to sit this beta out and join everyone in the next one. This tease will probably just make the wait that much harder anyway.

Marceles

Honestly I wish I can trick the game into staying in "match search" mode and chill in training mode for as long as I want lol, can't wait for tomorrow though. Had fun with the game at E3

XenoRaven

Minor technicalities but Ryu's V-Trigger gives him electric fireballs that move faster. He can also charge them up to guard break his opponent.

Chun-Li's V-Trigger gives her 2 hits on medium normals, and 3 hits on heavy normals.

Can't wait to play this. I've watched like every video possible.

dmr87

Do I want this on PC or PS4? I'm heavily leaning towards PC even though all my other fighters are on PS4. Think I am going to sit this beta out and join everyone in the next one. This tease will probably just make the wait that much harder anyway.

All in the same pool of players so I guess it depends on where you are most comfortable playing, and Mad Catz's TE2 PS3/PS4 stick works on PC as well.

Kinda disappointed on Nash's V stuff.

Sounds lame.

Charge characters forever, though.

You shouldn't be. Nash could pull off some nasty setups with that teleport if done right.

I expect a few comparisons on how not like SFIV this game is so far. Don't disappoint me capcom.

Search Vesper Arcade (I think that's his name?)'s videos. The most recent one does a great job detailing the new stuff.

But tl;dr SFV is a more defensive style game. It's not about abusing ultras or trying to pull off long combos, it's about landing damage but taking a heavy risk. Things like no chip deaths (unless you land a super, and even then you'd have to have the meter for it) better usage of the EX gauge, etc are huge differences. Overall, it's a more footies/fundamentals oriented game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Minor technicalities but Ryu's V-Trigger gives him electric fireballs that move faster. He can also charge them up to guard break his opponent.

Chun-Li's V-Trigger gives her 2 hits on medium normals, and 3 hits on heavy normals.

Can't wait to play this. I've watched like every video possible.
This is important, I did those sections kind of quickly, so if anyone can add more clarification I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Marceles

Sounds lame.

It's pretty cool actually, his V stuff is annoying to deal with. The best Nash I played vs. without a doubt was LI Joe's. By the time E3 was done he had a pretty good grasp of what the character could do. He has the bullet clear move that even does damage without a projectile, and the different teleports. I stuck with Ryu mostly to be on the safe side, but I definitely want to main Nash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCYnQOnKkM

aly

Sounds lame.

It sounds kinda lame at first, but I've seen so many awesome videos of people using the teleport to setup stuff or get out of the way that I think its worth it if used right.

Love the thread, especially the title lol.

I want to try out Birdie, but I don't know who I'll use in the mean time. Bison? Chun? I heard Nash was technical.

Tripon

I think they said you pick your character and go directly to a training stage where you can practice moves while the game auto matches you with someone.
Hmm, thanks.

Something tells me I'm going to get bopped a lot. Hope I learn quick.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm so damn excited to finally get my hands on this and pray that the servers hold up. I really wanted to play Cammy but Ryu will do for now. :)
I just wished they could've patched PS3 TE stick support in there somehow cause fuck going back to the controller after I got used to stick.

Top Bottom