• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V: Champion Edition final season announced | Includes five characters and three stages

Mista

Banned
SFVCE_BLOG_1920x1080_EP-1024x576.jpg

Capcom will release a final Season “V” for Street Fighter V: Champion Edition, the company announced in a developer blog.
We know our players are wondering what’s next for Street Fighter V, so we have some exciting news to share. Due to the positive reception to Season 4 and Champion Edition, we are planning to do a final Season ‘V,’ which will add ‘V’ more fighters to the roster. Three new stages are also being planned.

More information regarding the new content coming to Street Fighter V: Champion Edition will be announced this summer.

Gematsu

AlexxKidd

I need that Rolento. Give me Rolento, and bring out Makoto for the fans. Beyond that I'm not too choosy. May Dan in his worst incarnation ever for the lols, I'd appreciate it. No one would mind if you spent a character on Dan because five more is a fucking lot, especially when us fans were expecting no more.

radewagon

Booooo.....

Maybe i'm in the minority here, but I'd sure like it if they could just release a game, put a bow on it, stick a fork in it, whatever, just call it done and be done. I'm getting really tired of my physical copies of disks just being coasters of incomplete versions of a game. I really thought the new Champion Edition disc would be at least a little bit more future proof, but nope.

KAL2006

Banned
I think its in the top most played ps4 games so bc seems like a shoe in anyway, i'm sure running off the ps5 ssd will improve bc titles as well

I don't want it to just run in BC mode I want it to be fully taking advantage of the SSD speed for instant load time not reduced load time.

KAL2006

Banned
I reckon 2 of these characters will have asset and animation reuse.

Decapre (Already in story mode just add more moves)
Gouken (Using some shotokan animation)

Then I'm guessing previously rumoured characters
C. Viper
Rose
Oro

Life

*sigh*
This just means we're even further from Capcom's next meaningful fighter. Really wanted this game to die already.

Tiamat2san

Just port this to PS5 for launch please. I cannot stand the loading times in this game. Street Fighter V with super fact loading thanks to SSD is what I want.
Every fighting game will benefit from SSD.
Samurai showdown is terrible too.

Last edited:
Pretty cool.

Though on a selfish note I kinda hope it doesn't have any characters I've been wanting (For years...) as finally getting them at the tail end when the game has petered out isn't so hot. =P

yurinka

Great news! Can't wait to see these new 5 characters, 3 stages, new costumes and more. Btw, they also announced that 2 of the new characters will be created by fans through a costume design contest that they will do soon.

I'd like to see Haggar, C.Viper, Abel, Geki and Maki.
And if not, Goutetsu, Fei-Long, the NeoShadaloo guy with a hat, Sodom and Sean.

Just port this to PS5 for launch please. I cannot stand the loading times in this game. Street Fighter V with super fact loading thanks to SSD is what I want.
No need to port it, PS5 will be BC. SFV will run there at launch, with shorter loading times and better wifi/lan even if they don't tweak anything.

SF 6 on PS5 could be a goer if this is the final round for SF5.
Regarding SFVI and PS5, last year in Brazil Games Show and EGX Q&A panels -and in a post EGX interview- Yoshinori Ono said that it was too soon for SFVI. He said SFVI would be for next gen, that they wanted to continue supporting SFV aprox. for as long as they did with SFIV (he specified exactly that they supported SFIV series for 8 years and that SFV was only entering its 5th year) series before moving to SFVI, and that they were waiting to see released next gen games running in the consoles to see what next gen can offer to the genre, in order to design the game from scratch around these new next gen features.

So, if we consider SFV was released 2 years and 3 months after PS4 release, and that SFIV was released 2 years and 3 months after the PS3 release, and we also consider the distance between SFIV and SFV, and the time needed to develop a fighting game starting at the end of this year aprox., this means that SFVI would be released around February 2023. Late 2022 if lucky.

Pretty cool.

Though on a selfish note I kinda hope it doesn't have any characters I've been wanting (For years...) as finally getting them at the tail end when the game has petered out isn't so hot. =P
According to the Steam stats (we don't have PS4 public stats to check PS4 active users), 2020 is the year where SFV is having the biggest amount of steady daily active users since launch (excluding time limited peaks with each big new post-launch content like new characters or big gameplay hanges). It may be its last season of content, but players are there playing the game more than ever.

And well, the current amount of SFV steady daily active players is bigger than the one any other Capcom fighting game released on Steam.

Last edited:
One of the best fighting games ever created.
Amazed how the gameplay is.

Definitely a candidate for one of the most improved through patches and content releases for a fighting game. I remember buying it day one and feeling like they mailed it in, but they did an amazing job of turning it around

According to the Steam stats (we don't have PS4 public stats to check PS4 active users), 2020 is the year where SFV is having the biggest amount of steady daily active users since launch (excluding time limited peaks with each big new post-launch content like new characters or big gameplay hanges). It may be its last season of content, but players are there playing the game more than ever.

And well, the current amount of SFV steady daily active players is bigger than the one any other Capcom fighting game released on Steam.

Oh I'm not about the userbase it's more just not being able to play certain characters through the evolution of the game, having them changed with each balance patch and getting to adapt to the new meta each time. I enjoy that aspect but you don't get much of that at the end. :messenger_winking:

Booooo.....

Maybe i'm in the minority here, but I'd sure like it if they could just release a game, put a bow on it, stick a fork in it, whatever, just call it done and be done. I'm getting really tired of my physical copies of disks just being coasters of incomplete versions of a game. I really thought the new Champion Edition disc would be at least a little bit more future proof, but nope.

Unfortunately, this seems to apply to practically all fighting games which are just glorified live service games with excessive and overpriced DLC. Yeah, I thought Champion Edition was it as well and would finally hear something about SF6. I still like SF5 and all, but I’m definitely ready for SF6 at this point.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
Reading that ResetEra thread is depressing. People saying damn SFVI is further away than they thought. What is wrong with these people it's like they haven't been paying attention. Street Fighter IV came out 2 years after PS3, Street Fighter V came out 2 years after PS4. And guess what most likely Street Fighter VI will be released 2 years after PS5 releases (If I had to guess February 2023). With DLC releasing for SFV doesn't change this fact. People expecting Capcom to release a multiplayer focused Street Fighter game in the first year of PS5 have no idea, Capcom want there to be a big enough userbase before releasing a Street Fighter VI for next gen only. Unless people would want Street Fighter VI cross gen with reused assets.

One thing Capcom haven't done is a crossover game residing assets of Street Fighter V which would make the break from Street Fighter V to Street Fighter VI more bearable. We got Vs games reusing assets from Street Fighter Alpha, we got Street Fighter X Tekken from reusing assets from Street Fighter IV. I guess Capcom got burnt by Street Fighter X Tekken and decided against taking that route but I would have loved a Street Fighter X Fighting All-stars game with characters from Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, King of Fighters, Samurai Showdown, Star Gladiator, Red Earth and Rival Schools. 25 characters from Street Fighter V reused assets and 25 guest characters from other fighting games. Would be the ultimate sequel to Capcom Fighting Jam, Capcom Vs SNK and Street Fighter X Tekken.

Had a feeling something like this might happen. I guess I'll wait for the third physical re-release, maybe next time it'll have all the content.

IKSTUGA

SFV needs more pure charge characters, so I'm hoping for Dee Jay (my main in super turbo). Still salty about Bison, Balrog and Vega... I loved those characters in 2 and 4, but in 5 they feel like total shit.

Last edited:

mekes

Please just add Oro now so I can finally feel enthusiastic to play again. And don’t fuck him up. I want ambiguous mixups, to dash over downed opponents, dash under fireballs, 45 hit+ tengu stone combos, double jumps and the meatiest st.rh ever created that dizzies Akuma in 3 hits.

Bwesh

Just give me Abel and i'm getting it. Long as he plays 99% like his USF4 version, focus attack and all. Lol

Celcius

°Temp. member
I thought the championship edition package meant that they were done with the game. I’ll buy the new characters and stages, but at this point I’m kinda wishing they’d just focus on the next game for next-gen.

Also, give me Remy please

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I would really like to see Remy in the game but I know it's not going to happen, too many other characters people want.

yurinka

Reading that ResetEra thread is depressing. People saying damn SFVI is further away than they thought. What is wrong with these people it's like they haven't been paying attention. Street Fighter IV came out 2 years after PS3, Street Fighter V came out 2 years after PS4. And guess what most likely Street Fighter VI will be released 2 years after PS5 releases (If I had to guess February 2023).
Seems that they read my post elsewhere. Ono said last year at Brazil Games Show and EGX (and at a post EGX interview) to don't hold your breath for SFVI. That SFV was only entering its 5th year and they supported the SFIV series for 8 years and that before moving to SFVI they wanted to keep supporting SFV for a while. Being asked for SFVI and PS5, he said that back then he still didn't knew the console spec and features and that for SFVI he wants to wait and see what the first next gen games can do in the next gen hardware and what the new console can offer, ir order to take note and design the new SF from scratch around it.

So knowing that, I guessed February 2023 as SFVI release date because it would be 2 years and 3 months since PS5 release, something that matches with SFV being released 2 years and 3 months after PS4 release and SFIV being released 2 years and 3 months after PS3 release. In addition to this PS3 was released November 2006, PS4 in November 2013 (7 years later) and PS5 will be released in November 2020 (7 years later). This also means there's 7 years between SFIV and SFV release, and if we add 7 years more we have February 2023. And assuming that if when PS5 gets released they have some SFVI preproduction made, take note of launch games and final specifications and take around 2 years to develop the game plus some postproduction/release time and buffer, it would match more or less with February 2023.

In addition to this, they had planned for 2020 to have SFV in the olympic games, in Capcom Pro Tour / Capcom Cup, ESPN and in collegue tournaments from Japan and USA. That is a huge amount of money spent in visibility that would add new players and would bring back more players. So it would be stupid to do it for a dead game with no DLC available. To release another season of content this year for all these players makes sense, specially now that at least in Steam the game has the biggest amount of steady (that is, avoiding time limited peaks caused by post-launch content like new characters or big gameplay changes) daily active players not only on its history, but also counting any other Capcom fighting game published on Steam.

The only hint pointing to a possible 2021 release of SFVI was very weak: in a year where they changed many CPT and Capcom Cup rules, they also changed another one to do the same the year previous to SFV release: that the winner wouldn't be automatically classified for the edition of next year. But it could be for many reasons. One of them is that the new SF tournaments they recently created, like Street Fighter League or the Intel World Open for the Olympic Games are 3vs3 team based, so who knows if maybe they planned to turn CPT and Capcom Cup into a team based event too.

If they port it to the PS5 as the ultimate edition, then I'd expect them to fill that Ultra Blu-Ray 100GB disc to the brim!
They may release another disc based version, and whenever they do it it's very likely that they may release it on PS5 too. But won't need to port it to PS5 because the console will be backwards compatible, the PS4 SFV game will run there.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Booooo.....

I agree.

But Tbh capcom has been doing this since street fight 2.
They added 4 characters for Street fighter 2 Turbo and then another 4 characters for Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo lol

Dr_Salt

Seems that they read my post elsewhere. Ono said last year at Brazil Games Show and EGX (and at a post EGX interview) to don't hold your breath for SFVI. That SFV was only entering its 5th year and they supported the SFIV series for 8 years and that before moving to SFVI they wanted to keep supporting SFV for a while. Being asked for SFVI and PS5, he said that back then he still didn't knew the console spec and features and that for SFVI he wants to wait and see what the first next gen games can do in the next gen hardware and what the new console can offer, ir order to take note and design the new SF from scratch around it.

So knowing that, I guessed February 2023 as SFVI release date because it would be 2 years and 3 months since PS5 release, something that matches with SFV being released 2 years and 3 months after PS4 release and SFIV being released 2 years and 3 months after PS3 release. In addition to this PS3 was released November 2006, PS4 in November 2013 (7 years later) and PS5 will be released in November 2020 (7 years later). This also means there's 7 years between SFIV and SFV release, and if we add 7 years more we have February 2023. And assuming that if when PS5 gets released they have some SFVI preproduction made, take note of launch games and final specifications and take around 2 years to develop the game plus some postproduction/release time and buffer, it would match more or less with February 2023.

In addition to this, they had planned for 2020 to have SFV in the olympic games, in Capcom Pro Tour / Capcom Cup, ESPN and in collegue tournaments from Japan and USA. That is a huge amount of money spent in visibility that would add new players and would bring back more players. So it would be stupid to do it for a dead game with no DLC available. To release another season of content this year for all these players makes sense, specially now that at least in Steam the game has the biggest amount of steady (that is, avoiding time limited peaks caused by post-launch content like new characters or big gameplay changes) daily active players not only on its history, but also counting any other Capcom fighting game published on Steam.

The only hint pointing to a possible 2021 release of SFVI was very weak: in a year where they changed many CPT and Capcom Cup rules, they also changed another one to do the same the year previous to SFV release: that the winner wouldn't be automatically classified for the edition of next year. But it could be for many reasons. One of them is that the new SF tournaments they recently created, like Street Fighter League or the Intel World Open for the Olympic Games are 3vs3 team based, so who knows if maybe they planned to turn CPT and Capcom Cup into a team based event too.

They may release another disc based version, and whenever they do it it's very likely that they may release it on PS5 too. But won't need to port it to PS5 because the console will be backwards compatible, the PS4 SFV game will run there.

The last time the Capcom Cup winner did not auto qualify for next year´s Capcom Cup was because SF5 was announced and played the following year. With next gen coming and those rumors about the games Capcom is planning on releasing next fiscal I wouldn´t say it was based on "weak" assumptions.

Top Bottom