• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V has shipped 1,7 million, Dead Rising 4 still under 1 million

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I hope the MS money was enough for Capcom. There is an audience on PlayStation waiting for the Dead Rising series to come over again.

DR3 sold much more. 4 is just a bad game, without Microsoft money neither 3 nor 4 would even exist, the IP died with 2.

Really? I'm not so sure. SF4 was fairly popular on X360 and I doubt it wouldn't have made much impact on that platform. I guess it had to be sacrificed due to cross-platform between PC and PS4.

360 was by far the dominant platform over PS3 at that time though.

XB1. Not so much.

fhqwhgads

At this point their most important IPs are RE and Monster Hunter.
Only because it's the only two things that are guaranteed to make them money. Street Fighter SHOULD be one of those too based on brand name alone, but Capcom always finds a way to ruin everything. Don't be surprised if Monster Hunter takes a dip in quality during their big expansion of the franchise too.

Lol, I remember people defending the blatant dumbing down of DR4 with 'b-but it'll sell better than the previous games!' Hilarious stuff.

When did I say they were doing great? lol this is why you can't discuss sales on GAF. It's either black or white and no shades of grey in between. Btw it's on PC too, you forgot that ;)
Shit I'm fired whoops. lol

I think my folks threw away my copy of SFV. It was sealed and I haven't seen it in like, a LONG time. So... probs won't get to play it ever...
>.>

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
SFVs shipped/sales sounds kinda brutal for such a legendary series.

Capcom don't really have the development talent or muscle to make quality console games any more. If it weren't for partnerships with hardware makers, SFV and DR4 would not even exist, Capcom doesn't have the resources to make AAA games.

Bedlam

DR4 sales don't surprise me. Clueless business practices as always, the new director really didn't have a clue as to what Dead rising was.

Capcpom gonna capcpom I guess

Yup.

DR4 is a prime example of making an IP irrelevant by completely abandoning what made it special in the first place for the sake of appealing to a broader audience.

It makes me happy that the port of DR1 has sold more than DR4 did on Steam. Capcom screwed this franchise up so hard chasing mainstream money.

cacildo

SFV
Launch: February 2016
Platforms: PS4, PC
Sales: 1.7 million

ARMS
Launch: June 2017
Platforms: Switch
Sales: 1.18 million

Capcom should really release more switch stuff
It seems anything sells on switch

(Not pot begging, to be fair i really dont care about SFV or Dead Rising)

Capcom don't really have the development talent or muscle to make quality console games any more. If it weren't for partnerships with hardware makers, SFV and DR4 would not even exist, Capcom doesn't have the resources to make AAA games.

Oh I'm vaguely aware of how their staff have changed...its just sad. I'm crap at fighting games so I don't have a big investment in the series but even if its a situation of their own making, it still stings a bit to see a legendary and revered series go down the toilet, so to speak.

MrCarter

Do we have any numbers of how much money is Capcom making out of SFV DLC?

Not yet. I assume it's doing well to continuously pump out more DLC (mainly for the girls and my avatar of course) and other content. They should release those numbers for a closely look but as with most companies they don't do this.

Mediking

Do we have any numbers of how much money is Capcom making out of SFV DLC?

Fgc and casuals supported SFV in the beginning...

Only fgc remain...

Sales are still bad...

Only fgc remain...

I remember seeing LTG buying DLC for $15 and wincing. He was wincing as he bought it.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Fgc and casuals supported SFV in the beginning...

Only fgc remain...

Sales are still bad...

Only fgc remain...

I remember seeing LTG buying DLC for $15 and wincing. He was wincing as he bought it.

Yeah, but mobile games make billions from a few whales.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Man, I'd love to hear the Window Store numbers lol

I guess I'm glad they haven't bothered with Onimusha, as they'd tarnish an awesome franchise with half assed entries.

Dead Rising 4 - Don't worry, sales will double once it's in a Humble Bundle.

Street Fighter V - This is going to be a long, slow burn. Very slow. Sales might pick up if they include Season 1 in the $20 sale price.

NEO0MJ

You should judge how well ARMS is doing based solely on the first month. SFV shipped over a million as well in its first month but then Capcom couldn't push the game on retailers.

Sesha

They have the resources, they just don't want to take the risk.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You should judge how well ARMS is doing based solely on the first month. SFV shipped over a million as well in its first month but then Capcom couldn't push the game on retailers.

Nintendo isn't known for overshipping or channel stuffing, quite the opposite really. Capcom are masters at it.

Probably because people all experience games differently (shocker) and view different components of the game as a core element. The timed nonsense that others viewed as a core element in the DR games, I viewed as an inconvenience.

Not only that but it's the developers and publishers right to strip and include features as they see fit, at the end of the day games like Dead Rising are not likely to be considered art. They are entertainment, thus they are designed to entertain the largest audience possible.

I think sometimes that strips a game of its identity, but the timed mechanics of the DR franchise were always so divisive I am honestly surprised they weren't removed sooner.
This is a funny post in hindsight.

KHlover

Banned
I sure wish I were a fly on the wall right now. I'd love to know Capcom's expectations for MH World. Will they be happy if it sells the same as MH4U WW (iirc about 5mil) at $60 instead of $45? Do they want actual growth? If yes, how much? 6mil LT? 7mil LT? Can't wait for their earnings report in the quarter of MH World release.

Floody

Capcom just can't catch a break it seems, though they kinda like to make sure the odds are against them, by doing something dumb (lack of content at release, bad showings, bad marketing, etc).
Hopefully Monster Hunter World gamble pays off, they'd be beyond fucked without Monster Hunter.

Mediking

Capcom needs restructuring... brand mangament, etc.

PR train Peter Rosas to stop being so anti-casual when talking about fighting games.

oti

Banned

It just goes to show how awful SFV is doing. Released more than a year earlier and on the two biggest platforms the video game industry has to offer and yet such a small difference between it and ARMS. Capcom, please.
I knew it was bad but i didn't know it was that bad. only 300k since the launch!? thats abysmal
Don't forget that many copies just lie in bargain bins at this point.

ViviOggi

I hope the Sony money was enough for Capcom. There is an audience on XBox waiting for the Street Fighter series to come over again.

JayEH

I'm sure SFV is doing decent with dlc and honestly I'm sure they've made money on the game seeing how cheap it is outside of some things like animations.
They need a strong relaunch if the rumors are true (I personally don't believe them) and make a couple of big balance changes for S3 and they got themselves back in a good position.

I don't see good things for marvel.

random25

It's time for Super Street Fighter V Capcom, whether you like it or not. Updates won't really do much at this point. The game needs a reset in marketing and hype.

Top Bottom