• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Impressions From @UltraDavid

GeoNeo

I disagree.
UltraDavid (https://twitter.com/ultradavid) got the chance to play SFV with Combofiend in long sit down and he is tweeting his impressions of the gameplay:

The pace of #SFV is fantastic, like a Ken-Ken match in 3S. Damage is huge, links easy, stun danger constant, footsies complex, zoning viable

Keep in mind we were playing v Combofiend who knows the game well & plays offense in every game, but he got stuns in like 80% of all rounds

Each character has more than a couple legit tools in the midrange so footsies didn't feel simple or boring

Mixups feel very strong! Each time you block you lose white life so when you get opened up after blocking you can lose tons of real life

Some chars can stun in 2 combos, & throws deal 1/4 stun bar, so stun is never far. So stun danger + white life loss = mixups feel serious

Overheads for the chars there are just single hits, no big combos out of them, but they still feel serious because of the rest of the system

Walk speeds are fine imo. Only slow chars are Bison & Nash but they have other non-walk options that give them plenty of mobility still

Very few things cause hard knockdown & combos seem pretty short at least w these characters, so there are few breaks in play too

Oh btw no crouch techs, pressing jab+short regardless of whether standing, crouching, or hidden in another button results in grab

Links are given buffer leeways of a few frames so they're all doable, even 1f links. SF4 shortcuts are still in

Oh, re: fast pace & constant danger, at least these chars had few real reversals, some had none, & backdash isn't invincible. Good luck heh

Throws are so serious. 25% stun, good damage, very short tech window, no crouch techs, these characters' throws help set up their game well

Here's my #SFV Gdoc testing page, fully filled out except for Cammy which @jchensor can handle if he's interested

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lO2n8cGufRTvQGYcFEAVCUhKJximN0x0wdLCdb4ksuo/preview?sle=true

oh yeah i forgot to mention there's a mechanic called crush counter, each char has a normal that when it counterhits causes huuuge hitstun
allows for combo after, can be tight to time but fishing with that button = big payoff. but the button is unsafe on block so there's risk

Ryu:
Ryu is awesome, he feels like a really good 3S Ryu. Big damage, big stun, good buttons, good fireballs, good uppercuts. He's kinda scary

Parry is nice but can be canceled only into parry, so, can't parry then block/dp/etc, must wait till parry recovers or parry again

Parry recovery is p short though of course. But for example, I did cr lk xx dp & james parried my cr lk & tried to dp, my dp came out first

Bison:
Bison is soooo sick. Huuuge damage, great buttons, very very tricky stomp/devils reverse, good anti-fb vskill, vtrigger gives crazy movement

Birdie:
Birdie might have the game's best buttons right now tbh. Cr mp = god antiair. Giant damage (this is a theme). Vskill is super useful

Cammy:
Cammy has excellent pressure, great stun output, great movement. Divekick is like crazy far & fast tbh

Chun Li:
Chun has good midrange, good pressure. I'm falling asleep. Nash is cool. Go read that gdoc or tune in tomorrow for more. Night y'all

OMG, this sounds amazing. I can't wait to watch Combofiend, Team Madcatz, EG, etc play this tomorrow. :D

Nice nice, I like that he's praising the footsies/zoning aspect of it. I really hated how for a while SF4 devolved into which character had the best mixups would be the strongest in top level play.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Man I love the sound of this so much hahaha.

James Chen ‏@jchensor 10m10 minutes ago
The one thing I will say after having gotten to mess with it for a few hours, SFV is NOTHING like SFIV. Had to break so many SFIV habits.

Vex_

Banned
Each time you block you lose white life so when you get opened up after blocking you can lose tons of real life

Yoooooo what's good?

Seems like offense pays off this time around.

This game sounds really awesome so far.

And I am happy Ultras (aka comeback mechanics) got shafted...

I hated them with a passion in SF4.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Wait. We can enroll? Thought we had to pre order to get in? Thought that was the only way?

Other regions have to enrol.

What time do they play SFV tomorrow?

SFV Stream Times (Credit to r/kappa)

orNC6Cy.png

Csr

Sounds awesome.

So crouch tech is in the game since you can tech while crouching, many would not consider this an option select because you don't get a c.lk if the opponent doesn't throw but it is still crouch teching.

Sounds awesome.

So crouch tech is in the game since you can tech while crouching, many would not consider this an option select because you don't get a c.lk if the opponent doesn't throw but it is still crouch teching.
Yeah, it's just not as much of a get out of jail free card I guess

decoy11

Oh btw no crouch techs, pressing jab+short regardless of whether standing, crouching, or hidden in another button results in grab

Links are given buffer leeways of a few frames so they're all doable, even 1f links. SF4 shortcuts are still in

Throws are so serious. 25% stun, good damage, very short tech window, no crouch techs, these characters' throws help set up their game well

I'm okay with crouch techs being gone but hearing the throw window being short worries me. I'm going to need to know how many start up frames a throw is going to have. It would be terrible if it was like 1frame to throw and like the tech is 3frames.

Also I wonder if the buffer is like some sort of hold button buffer system like some of the anime fighters.

Also I wonder if the buffer is like some sort of hold button buffer system like some of the anime fighters.

I think it's more likely to be just inputting the next string straight away.

To a player new to the series; that's like reading double dutch!

Footsies - Keeping the opponent just outside of combo range and poking (usually with low kicks) to open them up.

Stun - Taking too many hits (even when blocking) without reply makes you dizzy for a few seconds, and vulnerable.

Mixups - Generally a 50/50 guess, whether to block an overhead or low attack (can add in throws as well).

Crouch-tech - Blocking or cancelling the opponents throw from a crouched position.

Links - Performing attacks to combo into each other, usually one with quick start-up frames (how quickly the hit animation begins) into another with quick recovery frames (how quickly the animation finishes). You can also cancel into them to interrupt the animation

Hope that makes sense.

To a player new to the series; that's like reading double dutch!
If you get hit too much in a row, you get sent into a dizzy state. That's stun!

White damage is temporary, and only becomes "real" damage when hit again.

Ken was good and aggressive in SF3 :p

Spuck-uk

Banned
Sounds awesome.

You can tech while crouching, but its a much riskier option now

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I can't thank UltraDavid enough for taking the time to do this and making that AMAZING DOC. Holy fuck SFV sounds like pure heaven.

mBJNiOy.gif

Never understood why people were complaining about Bison's walk speed in the first place. He has his scissors that cover quite a bit of ground while being a useful move, a slide, and he can jump across the screen. This isn't even factoring his teleport skill or whatever it is. All for a character that got a damage output increase. Why in the hell would be need to walk faster with all of that lol

Not that I know any better, but from my armchair that is the last thing I'd make him do.

Neff

Man, they looked at my personal bullet point list of grievances with SFIV and took a fucking wrecking ball to each and every one. And added tons of cool new shit.

I can't wait.

White damage sounds interesting, assuming on normals? Turtle style in danger.

There better be a damn Ken in a Ken v Ken SF3 style game.

gooey

Neo Member
No combos after overheads, short combos...

I think it's a little too early to tell.
I'm sure there will be characters with long combos/ability to combo off overheads (even if it's only on counter hit)

I'm happy if it turns out this way though. Some of the combos in USFV (Evil Ryu, I'm looking at you) are just silly.

Top Bottom