• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V might not be at EVO Japan due to EVO Japan, won't be at SAI.

Tripon

https://twitter.com/fightinggameesl/status/842568205675651072

No SFV at Sai, the lead-up tournament for EVO Japan, due to a license issue. They're trying to get SFV for EVO Japan (but no guarantee?).

https://twitter.com/hameko/status/842569531851649024
EVO Japanメルマガにも書きましたが、誤解を避けるために改めて書いておきます。5/20-21に行われるテスト大会「賽 [sài]」の3タイトル目は「ストV」ではありません。しかし、本大会であるEVO Japan 2018の競技タイトルに関しては引き続き各社と交渉中です。

Neoxon

Tekken 7's probably gonna headline.
That's if they don't work things out for EVO Japan, though I could see that happening for SAI.

Capcom, seriously, get that arcade version you mentioned a few months ago out for the Japanese scene. Make a whole 30th Anniversary thing out of it.

This would be a massive failing for Capcom and also likely decrease global viewership of Evo Japan. Considering there's going to be some games that'll be played there that don't get played outside of Japan/Asia, it would suck if those games (and the players) don't get a little more shine.

Neoxon

Does Capcom know who owns the liscense to the Street Fighter IP now?
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Contrary to popular belief, Capcom Co. Ltd. doesn't own the Street Fighter IP, but rather Capcom USA. It's the reason why they added the Capcom USA listing to Smash 4's character copyrights when Ryu joined the roster via DLC.

lupinko

Here's some musings:

- So far EVO Japan is on arcade only.
- The supposed arcade SFV apparently has some tie in with Taito, I heard from a good friend who said word down the grapevine is that the arcade release is exclusive to Taito game centers only. (Which is stupid)
- Taito has its own SBO replacement in Toshinsai or whatever.
- SF IP is owned by Capcom USA (but Capcom Co. owns its subsidiary so ehhhhh).

Village

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Contrary to popular belief, Capcom Co. Ltd. doesn't own the Street Fighter IP, but rather Capcom USA. It's the reason why they added the Capcom USA listing to Smash 4's character copyrights when Ryu joined the roster via DLC.

Yo

What?

HeelPower

One of the biggest reasons for this game's existence is its major esports presence.

Not way it'll skip.Sony and Capcom have both been adamant about dominating the competitive scene with SFV>

j51uHm1.gif

Making SFV so FGC focused to the point where its a bad produce tor your average consumer.

Then dont let the FGC use it at the biggest FGC event.

Yup. Thats my Capcom.

Neoxon

Making SFV so FGC focused to the point where its a bad produce tor your average consumer.

Then dont let the FGC use it at the biggest FGC event.

Yup. Thats my Capcom.
The biggest FGC event is EVO over in Las Vegas. EVO Japan is a different tournament under the EVO umbrella (& a new one at that).

Either way, I'd be shocked if Sony & Capcom USA don't work things out.

Steroyd

What!?

WHAT!?

I thought the NOA and NOJ copyright deadlock on youtube was dumb.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
This is... insane. But it's no translation error, bam,

Hameko said:
"...the third title at '賽 [sài]' is not SFV. However, negotiations continue with each company (involved) for titles in competition at our main tournament, EVO Japan 2018."

"Each company" (各社) could mean anything. Not making sài is one thing, not being in competition at EVO Japan is unthinkable. We can work it out... right? Capcom USA -> Capcom Japan, and possibly even Taito -> Square-Enix all have telephones, I'm sure.

Here's some musings:

- The supposed arcade SFV apparently has some tie in with Taito, I heard from a good friend who said word down the grapevine is that the arcade release is exclusive to Taito game centers only. (Which is stupid)

what manner of madness is this mess? Sort yourself out, Capcom!

Rymuth

Here's some musings:

My mind collapsed trying to untangle this

Tecl0n

Here's some musings:

holy fuck

Wereroku

So the real issue is that EVO Japan only uses arcade hardware and they are having trouble getting SFV machines? Could they not just use the console version?

Top Bottom