• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V might not be at EVO Japan due to EVO Japan, won't be at SAI.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Contrary to popular belief, Capcom Co. Ltd. doesn't own the Street Fighter IP, but rather Capcom USA. It's the reason why they added the Capcom USA listing to Smash 4's character copyrights when Ryu joined the roster via DLC.
Wow...I never knew this. Capcom/Sony better work things out. This will affect the viewership. :(

Here's some musings:

- So far EVO Japan is on arcade only.
- The supposed arcade SFV apparently has some tie in with Taito, I heard from a good friend who said word down the grapevine is that the arcade release is exclusive to Taito game centers only. (Which is stupid)
- Taito has its own SBO replacement in Toshinsai or whatever.
- SF IP is owned by Capcom USA (but Capcom Co. owns its subsidiary so ehhhhh).

mYA5eqE.gif

Tripon

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Contrary to popular belief, Capcom Co. Ltd. doesn't own the Street Fighter IP, but rather Capcom USA. It's the reason why they added the Capcom USA listing to Smash 4's character copyrights when Ryu joined the roster via DLC.

Uh, that's not how it works.

That's like saying Alphabet doesn't own the google search engine ever since Google created a parent company to better organize their various projects just because the search engine stayed under the company, Google.

If only we knew someone in charge of Evo Japan...

Do you want to go on the record? I'm sure Event Hubs will carefully craft an article post from whatever you say here in 5 minutes that convey nothing of what you actually said.

Piccoro

Why doesn't Capcom use the same Arcade hardware that Final Fantasy Dissidia uses? It's literally a PS4 inside an arcade!
Why do they have to go with Taito hardware?

The thread title is confusing as hell.

What difference does this make? Isn't Capcom USA a wholly owned subsidiary of Capcom Co. Ltd. ? How can a subsidiary own an IP that the parent company can't use?

Blueblur1

Here's some musings:

- So far EVO Japan is on arcade only.
- The supposed arcade SFV apparently has some tie in with Taito, I heard from a good friend who said word down the grapevine is that the arcade release is exclusive to Taito game centers only. (Which is stupid)
- SF IP is owned by Capcom USA (but Capcom Co. owns its subsidiary so ehhhhh).

So it seems like Capcom has caused the issue themselves by partnering with Taito?

taa0098

Neo Member
guilty gear

guilty gear

guilty GEAR

GUILTY GEAR

I have to imagine this is just a silly legal oversight or something. Knowing capcom I'm not exactly surprised, but there's no way sf v won't be at evo japan.

cordy

Banned
That's if they don't work things out for EVO Japan, though I could see that happening for SAI.

Capcom, seriously, get that arcade version you mentioned a few months ago out for the Japanese scene. Make a whole 30th Anniversary thing out of it.

Nah I don't see SFV headlining EVO Japan in any capacity even if they do get this fixed.

Wereroku

Something something money hats or a lack thereof?

The whole thing seems very confusing to me.

I know the Pro tour SFV is played on PS4 right but that wouldn't keep them from playing it on Arcade if it's not pro tour right? Why can't he just tell us the reason instead of adding more noise.

cordy

Banned
Is T7 expected to be the main event?

They haven't announced anything but I wouldn't be surprised. It's got a better chance of being the main event in EVO Japan than US EVO though.

I'm most interested in what games they're going to announce in general though. It's gonna be crazy. I hope we get a lot of diversity from standard EVO.

This one requires translation I'm afraid. Taito has its own replacement of what in where? They don't like the tourney conventions in question so they made their own? They don't like using SFV in place of their own game which replaces it? They have a subsidiary at one of the tourney conventions?

BadWolf

They haven't announced anything but I wouldn't be surprised. It's got a better chance of being the main event in EVO Japan than US EVO though.

I'm most interested in what games they're going to announce in general though. It's gonna be crazy. I hope we get a lot of diversity from standard EVO.

That's my hope as well, the less overlap the better.

Syntsui

This would be a colossal failure, you just can't expect the global audience to give a fuck about it if there is no SFV.

Is T7 expected to be the main event?

Pretty sure it always was. Japan has 1000 man plus Tekken tournaments in MasterCup, add to that the fact that it will be way cheaper for the Korean players to fly over and you have it set up for one crazy Tekken tournament.

This would be a massive failing for Capcom and also likely decrease global viewership of Evo Japan. Considering there's going to be some games that'll be played there that don't get played outside of Japan/Asia, it would suck if those games (and the players) don't get a little more shine.

This. SF V has already received a very bad reputation enough as it is. If this happens, this will further damage the game within people & other games like Guilty Gear Xrd: Rev. 2, Dissidia: Final Fantasy, Arcana Heart 4, Tekken 7: Fated Retribution & The King of Fighters XIV would receive even a lot more exposure within Japanese gamers.

antibolo

Banned
So the real issue is that EVO Japan only uses arcade hardware and they are having trouble getting SFV machines? Could they not just use the console version?

Using a console version in 2018?? Come on now that would make too much sense. Japan gotta stay in its bubble where arcades still exist somehow.

Top Bottom