• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Moaradin

Jeez Sanwa buttons are ass. 3 of my buttons randomly decide to stop working now. Happened multiple times during key moments. I have my bang on the buttons to even get them to respond at all sometimes.

That's the worst advice ever. Just goes to show how hopeless it is if all you can say is mash super. lol
00ddce11eb42d72fd22ab4b7d9875eea4419fd39916dbe8dd946dfe8558ec180.jpg

EDIT: Not an Alex player but I'll give you some advice from whatever idea I do have in this matchup.

You require less opportunities to do damage as compared to Chun since Alex's damage output is quite higher than hers. Chun will keep you at bay, hit you constantly with buttons. Well-timed jump ins, EX stomps, EX b+f slash moves to get through blockstrings with at least 3 frames in between or through fireballs, are your only real friends here. Just anything you can use to get in.

EDIT2: Still a very tough matchup, and you NEED patience to get anywhere. You can't get antsy here.

Ame

I often give the benefit of the doubt. Like, if there's any lag, I won't rematch in ranked. But I might in casual if it isn't too bad.

And no one is really obligated to give you the runback. It just sucks if opponents leave after a 1-1.

Well, they RQ'd after playing the full set. As soon as K.O. popped up the screen after the second game, I get a "server error". 99% sure it was on purpose.

Sure, nobody is obligated to give me the run back, but in casuals it happens way less. It's obvious people don't do for the points or to keep the points. I understand it could be because of a shitty connection sometimes, but again it happens way more often in ranked for it to always be that.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, they RQ'd after playing the full set. As soon as K.O. popped up the screen after the second game, I get a "server error". 99% sure it was on purpose.

Sure, nobody is obligated to give me the run back, but in casuals it happens way less. It's obvious people don't do for the points or to keep the points. I understand it could be because of a shitty connection sometimes, but again it happens way more often in ranked for it to always be that.
Oh; I'm not defending RQs, that's just scum

Skilletor

It's the buttons. I can swap them out for my 4 year old Hori buttons and they still work fine. 3 buttons going bad in less than a year is pretty sketchy.

Sure...but Sanwa is standard for pretty much every stick and person in the FGC. Seems a bit much to say they're ass because you're apparently unlucky. :p

Edzi

Sure...but Sanwa is standard for pretty much every stick and person in the FGC. Seems a bit much to say they're ass because you're apparently unlucky. :p

I've never had a problem with them not working, but the build quality on the snap ons is atrocious. I switched to screw on seimitsus and haven't gone back since.

Edzi

GGs dude. I think i just had the reads on the stomps and headbutts this time, last we played it was pretty even.

Even without those, there's not really much I can do to get in, Chun controls every distance besides full screen. Plus, I can't actually react to air legs, so my options are limited once you get in close.

Even without those, there's not really much I can do to get in, Chun controls every distance besides full screen. Plus, I can't actually react to air legs, so my options are limited once you get in close.
I'm just gonna point out 2 things.

IA legs is incredibly strong. So any competent Chun-Li player is gonna abuse the ever loving fuck out of that move (as they should).

And the hurtbox on the IA also extends lower than the actual hitbox. A low hitting move, like a cr.lp can definitely hit her out of the sky before the legs start hitting you.

Not asking you to try doing that on reaction, but because of the fast recovery sometimes you can just do that move when Chun is in that ideal situation to IA legs.

You'll have to search/experiment to find the ideal button for that but yeah. Don't let your self be free to IA legs (unless you're in the corner then pray to Daigo for deliverance).

Producer

Yeah its tough to react, but you did jab me out of it several times, some Alexs have also jabbed me out with cLP. But yeah easier said than done.

edit: like lucebuce said, at that close/mid close range , a cLP will stuff out ia legs even if you're mashing. That goes for almost all characters, a cLP or cMP is usually the button to beat it.

Edzi

Yeah its tough to react, but you did jab me out of it several times, some Alexs have also jabbed me out with cLP. But yeah easier said than done.

edit: like lucebuce said, at that close/mid close range , a cLP will stuff out ia legs even if you're mashing. That goes for almost all characters, a cLP or cMP is usually the button to beat it.

Yeah, definitely need more practice in that matchup for sure. I've also gotta stop relying on stomp/elbow to get in, since you can actually punish it reliably at most ranges.

HardRojo

Back to ranked matches.
I love missing a cancel to light scythe from a jab, only to get a mashed EX DP to my face.
Edit: Oh and a ragequit... wow.

Always expect the DP online. Always. Always. Always.

Doesn't matter how many they did before, the counter resets for them mentally every single time. Doesn't matter how much damage they took last time. Doesn't matter if they're literally one hit away from death.

They. Will. DP.

They. Are. Online. Warriors.

HardRojo

Doesn't matter how many they did before, the counter resets for them mentally every single time. Doesn't matter how much damage they took last time. Doesn't matter if they're literally one hit away from death.

They. Will. DP.

Lol I expect the DP 80% of the time, I bait it 4 times, they do nothing, I go for the meaty, they DP. They're fucking psychics!

Producer

Yeah, definitely need more practice in that matchup for sure. I've also gotta stop relying on stomp/elbow to get in, since you can actually punish it reliably at most ranges.

For sure. Hit up that training mode, and im always up for matches when available.

FluxWaveZ

They. Will. DP.

This doesn't really work against the opponents I'm facing, but it does for sure against Uriens. All of the ones I face are so DP happy.

HardRojo

I come back to ranked matches after a couple of months, and in less than 10 matches I already got 2 RQs. Capcom hasn't fixed shit if people aren't afraid to do this, now I remember why I stuck to casual matches.

*10 seconds in*

*air tatsu*

Also, how is this helping me learn how to fight against Ken? It's just Momochi being Momochi.
Other top Kens play like Momochi. There's another Ken mirror in the video, there's a solid Ken named Mochalatte on SRK, and he is absolutely the standard I base my game around. Aren't you in platinum brackets? You shouldn't be dealing with random DP Kens much at that level?

Because it can be hard to punish sometimes.
Fair enough, I suppose.

Aren't you in platinum brackets? You shouldn't be dealing with random DP Kens much at that level?
Oh sweet child, you have no idea.

I've played quite a variety of Kens, which include some genuinely solid Kens. The best Ken I've played is BigBird and even he DPs like a weirdo. I am talking blocked st.hk into DP.

Ken is by his very nature a character that allows for YOLO playstyles and take advantage of every opportunity. Which is always why I found it a bit ironic that such a stable player like Momochi likes him.

And watching that video did not show me anything new about the character which I didn't already know. I now know that Momochi likes using shimmys online though.

Producer

I think Momochi's Ken is on a league of his own. No other has the bMP confirms he does, he plays more patient, more footsie oriented. Also he actually confirms sHK into Vtrigger. A ton of Kens will just Vt cancel regardless. just my observation though.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Fair enough, I suppose.

I've played quite a variety of Kens, which include some genuinely solid Kens. The best Ken I've played is BigBird and even he DPs like a weirdo. I am talking blocked st.hk into DP.

Ken is by his very nature a character that allows for YOLO playstyles and take advantage of every opportunity. Which is always why I found it a bit ironic that such a stable player like Momochi likes him.

And watching that video did not show me anything new about the character which I didn't already know. I now know that Momochi likes using shimmys online though.
I'm alt-tabbing between SFV and reading this thread and a platinum Ken did exactly this to me right now lol

I also noticed that a lot of them are mashing DP after getting crush-countered, since they hope for you to drop the combo. A good way to bait one from time to time.

edit: I now did the "CC and wait for DP" to the same Ken. This was fun.

Demoli

How did you fix your problem?

Deled the appdata files of sf5, deleted the opening video, removed my stick configs, all this after reinstalling, then ran steam as admin and i managed to boot it up, and it then resumed the update that screwed it all up, this time to conclusions so now it runs just fine.

Fair enough, I suppose.

Hmmm..well the only thing I can say is keep climbing the ranks then. That stuff just gets you killed in a real match. And blocked max range HK --> DP isn't always complete yolo, it could be a hard read to "steal a turn" if you aren't close enough to punish or the Ken knows your pressing a button right afterwards. Like you said that's kinda part of Kens game. Lot of online Kens are just mashing it though. It's punishable with a 3 frame normal I believe Ken has to space it...

Momochi plays him I think because it allows him to be explosive (more so than Ryu IMO) while being simultaneously defensive. Also, his play style is pretty much non standard for Ken SOME of the time, and then he explodes on you like any other Ken can, the same thing happens with Fuudo Mika, he really didn't play her all crazy like Marn did, but when he exploded it was more surprising.

If Momochi played Diago, I'm not sure he would be as successful, Ken fits him, just like Ryu fits Diago.

Edzi

Hmmm..well the only thing I can say is keep climbing the ranks then. That stuff just gets you killed in a real match. And blocked max range HK --> DP isn't always complete yolo, it could be a hard read to "steal a turn" if you aren't close enough to punish or the Ken knows your pressing a button right afterwards. Like you said that's kinda part of Kens game.

Momochi plays him I think because it allows him to be explosive (more so than Ryu IMO) while being simultaneously defensive. Also, his play style is pretty much non standard for Ken SOME of the time, and then he explodes on you like any other Ken can, the same thing happens with Fuudo Mika, he really didn't play her all crazy like Marn did, but when he exploded it was more surprising.

If Momochi played Diago, I'm not sure he would be as successful, Ken fits him, just like Ryu fits Diago.

It's "Diego".

ArjanN

I come back to ranked matches after a couple of months, and in less than 10 matches I already got 2 RQs. Capcom hasn't fixed shit if people aren't afraid to do this, now I remember why I stuck to casual matches.

I think people underestimate how many people ragequit not because of the points or ranking or whatever but because they're chumps with anger issues who can't take an L.

Top Bottom