• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V PS4 has frame drops on some stages, issues with PS3 sticks

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So with SFV coming out today and many people excited and looking forward to picking the game up I must say I'm really pissed off that a game that is supposed to made for the competative scene has problems as the ones I will list below. (Tested in Final Retail 1.01 patched SFV)

Frame Drops on some stages:

Some of the stages will simply drop frames when the action heats up this fucks with competitive play a ton when having precise inputs is critical.

Digital Foundry if you're reading this to show this in action simply pick the Russia stage pick Bison pop V-Trigger and go for one of his combos to see the framerate drop a test on all the stages would be great. I don't have the capture gear to show this off.

Poor implementation of the LabZeroDriver:

Already seeing reports of input lag when it comes to the implementation of the driver and how insane the menu is to simply get it working. End of the day this will force tournaments to ban PS3 sticks. We have already seen talk of this on twitter from tournament organizers. This is huge in a community where not everyone has the money to cough up for brand new sticks or pads.

Edit: What I'd like to see for PS3 stick implementation is a better menu system that makes the process more tournament friendly.

Edit 2:

Mike Z on how Capcom implemented the LabZeroDriver.

Mike Zaimont ‏@MikeZSez 17m17 minutes ago
>:^( Why did SFV implement the LZ controller driver this way? There's _no reason_ to require a DS4. PS4 SG doesn't!

Mike Zaimont ‏@MikeZSez 8m8 minutes ago
@MikeZSez We provide instructions for how to implement it without lag, and advice for doing it without a DS4 required. I wrote 'em! :^\

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand with how much money Sony pumped into this Ono and Dimps would have made sure these issues at least were not present.

So they wasted their time and shouldn't have even tried to get backwards compatibility for PS3 sticks working, gotcha.

If there's no day one patch and the frame drops are real, that's bad news though.

DrArchon

Stage specific frame drops. Groovy. Looks like another couple of years of watching streams and seeing nothing but the fucking bland as hell training room stage.

Sucks that apparently no one but Lab Zero can get the LabZeroDriver to work.

shandy706

So they're basically running just at or slightly above 60fps, but it dips? Or is it a bigger thing than that...as in it happens on PC no matter your hardware too?

I'm sure that's not good for the competitive scene.

Doesn't KI go the route of running well above 60fps so that even if it dips the framerate still doesn't break 60?

I figured all fighters would do that now.

GeoNeo said:
I don't understand with how much money Sony pumped into this Ono and Dimps would have made sure these issues at least were not present.

I'm not entirely sure why dimps were the go to dev for this anyway. They're solidly mid tier, making decent but at least slightly flawed software. I can't think of anything they made recently that lived up to what it should have been.

Geg

Stage specific frame drops. Groovy. Looks like another couple of years of watching streams and seeing nothing but the fucking bland as hell training room stage.

They probably would have done that even if the frame drops weren't there

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I wonder if tourneys (that are not part of CPT, obviously) will start running PC?

I know the tournament series Alex Valle runs (Wednesday Night Fights) will be using PC.

So they're basically running just at or slightly above 60fps, but it dips? Or is it a bigger thing than that...as in it happens on PC no matter your hardware too?

I'm sure that's not good for the competitive scene.

Doesn't KI go the route of running well above 60fps so that even if it dips the framerate still doesn't break 60?

I figured all fighters would do that now.

The game runs at 60fps on PS4 however on some stages in critical points of competitive gameplay the game will drop frames thus fucking with your inputs.

Justin Wong noticed this and other pro players on twitter as well. And, I can confirm this is the case.

I guess the work around is to play on training room or a stage that is less graphically intensive so gameplay is not messed with in critical moments due to frame drops.

All of this is correctable.

This is why I made the thread because I hope someone from Capcom sees this and they start working on fixes before the Capcom Pro Tour starts.

Tizoc

I know the tournament series Alex Valle runs (Wednesday Night Fights) will be using PC.

The game runs at 60fps on PS4 however on some stages in critical points of competitive gameplay the game will drop frames thus fucking with your inputs.

Justin Wong noticed this and other pro players on twitter as well. And, I can confirm this is the case.

I guess the work around is to play on training room or a stage that is less graphically intensive so gameplay is not messed with in critical moments due to frame drops.

This is why I made the thread because I hope someone from Capcom sees this and they start working on fixes before the Capcom Pro Tour starts.

Well USF4 on PS4 was patched up and is considered among the best versions o the game, so SF5 shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

entremet

Sucks that apparently no one but Lab Zero can get the LabZeroDriver to work.
That's just not about frame drops. Pros prefer it for judging distances better.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the stage for streams.

Xpliskin

You guys lol.

Street Fighter now follows the "games as a service" model.

A major point of that model is constant improvement.

Hell, you get a new character next month.

This is minor and will be fixed in no time .

KingBroly

Banned
If it's really as bad as OP says even CPT tournaments will use PC (See Street Fighter IV being played on 360 last year, until after Evo)

Good luck getting Tournament Organizers to buy/assemble enough SF5 ready PC's.

But since these drops apparently don't happen on every stage, these stages will most likely be banned.

Footos22

You guys lol.

Street Fighter now follows the "games as a service" model.

A major point of that model is constant improvement.

Hell, you get a new character next month.

This is minor and will be fixed in no time .

Yep, some things don't get picked upon until it reaches a wider audience.hardly a big deal This isn't the snes days when what you see is what you get forever.

Title may as well be video game Dev can't release a game without issues. It pretty much applies to every game out there.

FelipeMGM

I dont get it, are reviewers complaining about this too? Game is getting some great scores, and all the cons Im hearing are about not enough content.

Mr. X

The stage framerate thing isn't even unique. I can't think of a fighter where a stage didn't slow down with action going on (issue is when it crawls without action).

I feel that's a minor problem.

The driver issue, is it specific sticks or all sticks?

patapuf

I dont get it, are reviewers complaining about this too? Game is getting some great scores, and all the cons Im hearing are about not enough content.

I don't think ps3 fighting stick backwards compability is high on the list of things to mention in a traditional review.

Tizoc

capcom pls i can't deal with training stage for 7 more years.

If I had to deal with playing on DJ's stage every time i played Super Turbo in Fightcade, you kids gonna see square grids forever and you will LIKE IT!

I kind of expected the ps3 driver support to have a frame or two of delay no matter what happens due to the nature of taking an input and converting it, surely competative players would use a native controller.

entremet

Nice thread title. Game comes out tomorrow and there is no way it will be improved... okay.

If you're aware of the goings on of Marvel 3 and SFIV it's an absolutely accurate and valid title. The 360 versions became competitive standard for that reason.

jackdoe

Haha. I can see this becoming a recurring cycle. Capcom patches the current stages with issues, then releases new stage dlc that also have issues, then patches those, and so on and so forth.

Mr. X

It's so weird that this new gen of fg players had no tolerance for slowdown on stages. It did this on arcade cabs, home versions, etc. It's actually a part of the game like weather/wind in real sports.

I'm not entirely sure why dimps were the go to dev for this anyway. They're solidly mid tier, making decent but at least slightly flawed software. I can't think of anything they made recently that lived up to what it should have been.

Because they made IV

All of this is correctable.

Accurate

All of this should not be problems plaguing the launch of a console maker-funded console exclusive.

Not Accurate

Ugh, this is a total mess. I feel that this game wasn't ready to be released.

KOF XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, & Tekken 7 will run circles around this game in terms of both content & stability once they're out.

Mr. X

Ugh, this is a total mess. I feel that this game wasn't ready to be released.

KOF XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, & Tekken 7 will run circles around this game in terms of both content & stability once they're out.
All these games will have stages that have slowdown when shit gets crazy lol

Im not part of the fgc so i dont know how accurate that thread title is but sounds like quite abit of hyperbole. Hopefully they get things fixed for the players soon.

Top Bottom