• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V sells less than Street Fighter IV in opening week (UK, Physical)

Street Fighter V sold fewer physical copies in the UK during its opening week than Street Fighter IV, GFK Chart-Track has revealed.

The fighting game launched exclusively on PS4 and PC last Tuesday, but failed to outdo the series' week one sales record set by its predecessor, which launched simultaneously on Xbox 360 and PS3 back in February 2009.

The figure does not account for the number of copies sold digitally, however, which is likely considerably higher than the number of copies downloaded seven years ago. Sales of the PC version were likely primarily digital, too.

Capcom has yet to announce sales figures for the new game.

Sales weren't high enough to knock Black Ops 3 off the top of this week's UK All Formats Top 40 chart, however, despite sales of Activision's shooter falling by 25% week-on-week.

Source: GFK Chart-Track

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/stree...s_than_street_fighter_iv_in_opening_week.html

Code:
[Week 08, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 88,000 / NEW

[Week 08, 2009] PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 47,000 / NEW
[Week 08, 2009] 360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 41,000 / NEW

[Week 07, 2016] STREET FIGHTER V (CAPCOM) < 24,300 / NEW

Well, this isn't shocking at all. It's only available on one platform at retail.

Edit - Unless there's a physical PC version in the UK? Not that it would really matter.

Bruno MB

Code:

Market is way more saturated with fighting games than when SFIV came out. Also IV came out 9 years after 3S. Ultra only came out 2 and a half years ago.

Hasney

From the PAL Charts thread:

Code:
[Week 08, 2009] [B]STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 88,000 / NEW[/B]
[Week 09, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 10, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 11, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 12, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 13, 2009] STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - ? / 193,000

[Week 08, 2009] [B]PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 47,000 / NEW[/B]
[Week 09, 2009] PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 10, 2009] PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 11, 2009] PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 12, 2009] PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 13, 2009] PS3 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - ? / 99,000

[Week 08, 2009] [B]360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 41,000 / NEW[/B]
[Week 09, 2009] 360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 10, 2009] 360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 11, 2009] 360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 12, 2009] 360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - 
[Week 13, 2009] 360 STREET FIGHTER IV (CAPCOM) - ? / 94,000

Black Ops III > 24,000
Street Fighter V < 24,300 (!!!!!)

Oh crap, that's horrible. D:

EDIT: I edited again. :p

First Week comparation

Mortal Kombat X (PS4) > 39,500
Mortal Kombat X (XBO) > 24,600

Streeth Fighter V < 24,300

EDIT: Bruno beat me

Code:

added this too the OP thanks, and titled got adjusted already

sales don't seem that bad, but man the reviews, lack of content, and busted online play are really gonna hurt the franchise.

zeromcd73

In Japan Street Fighter IV did 120k first week (famitsu).

Based on estimates it looks like SFV will do somewhere between 40~60k. UK and Japan following suit with each other.

Guymelef

The figure does not account for the number of copies sold digitally, however, which is likely considerably higher than the number of copies downloaded seven years ago.

Lol.
SFIV wasn't released on digital on day 1.

Less than MKX.
Lack of content is killing the sales.
Good luck Capcom fiscal results.

Hasney

I can see digital making up more of a bulk of the sales than when SF4 came out.

Most estimates have it at 30% on consoles when publishers do their number things. Considering we're looking at UK alone, people would have to spend a minimum of an extra £10 just go to digital compared to retail. I can't see that being the case for the purposes of this thread.

So more, yes, but it would have to have sold the same again digitally to match the PS3 SFIV number.

I knew it would sell less than IV. IV came out 10 years after the last SF and the shift from 2D -> 3D was more obvious for the average guy. We'll see how it does overall.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The game has apparently only sold around 100,000 copies on Steam too, which is crazy.
Not that crazy. After years of sales USF4 is at less than 700k and that includes SSF4AE which was converted to USF4 for every owner. Fighting games are pretty niche on PC anyway and if you combine that with the bad launch of V, you get 100k...

Only? I never though there would be a much bigger market for fighting games in PCs...

I believe Capcom is aiming for two million sold by the end of March, so yeah, those numbers are pretty bad. And with the backlash and horrible word of mouth, I don't expect that number to grow by all that much.

sales don't seem that bad, but man the reviews, lack of content, and busted online play are really gonna hurt the franchise.
The rollback netcode is fantastic, but the servers were basically nonfunctional for the first day. Server disconnects (knocking you back to the main menu and stopping Fight Money earnings) and match data not being sent after a match are still happening, though.

spekkeh

Banned
Not surprised. You can space out multiplayer content, but not singleplayer content. As it is I'm waiting for that to release, but I wouldn't be surprised if my attention shifted elsewhere by the point.

Rektash

Well, this is certainly anecdotal but I got the digital version even though I buy pretty much only buy physical games. Who wants to put in a bluray everytime you want some quick matches. This is a game people will play for years to come. Digital is just that much more convenient for these kind of games.

I hope they can slowly build SFV up and relaunch with Super SFV in a year or two.

The game as is seems like a horrible deal and the bad word of mouth out of the beta that continued into the launch isnt a good look

Maybe get a free 2 play KI style version out with rotating free fighters at some pint as well since the game seems designed around those kind of business models already

black070

Street Fighter V will be a long term player, if the aspirations to continuely support it through this entire gen without an updated release is followed through on, I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the front loaded sales.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
That's pretty shocking! But I hope a continued stream of content and support from here on out will keep the game alive for many people and encourage a steady stream of sales. The game looks super fun and I'd hate for it to die based on this.

Based on this, though, I expect they'll be wanting to rush quickly to the next season of character/costume/whatever DLC after this first batch of characters have been completed.

V-Faction

I knew it would sell less than IV. IV came out 10 years after the last SF and the shift from 2D -> 3D was more obvious for the average guy. We'll see how it does overall.

Shift to 3D? But there was already a glorious 3D Street Fighter!

Street%20Fighter%20EX%20plus%20Alpha10.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
1 platform AND...

Let's remember how SF4 was essentially the end of a decade-long fighter draught. It brought in the fighter-starved fans as well as the nostalgic casual fans who hadn't played it since the 90s.

I remember people buying SF4 sight-unseen on launch day, then later confessing "oh it's this unrealistic game with fireballs and shit... In my mind's eye I thought it was a more realistic MMA kind of thing from my childhood memories of it..."

I confess that I'm a person who was like "shut up and take my money!!!" in 2008, while now I'm like "I care about this about as much as I care about the Nth release of SF4"

BTW I do think the lack of content at launch has very very very little to do with this, despite how I'm sure the diehard fanbase will interpret the sales, lacking perspective.

Top Bottom