• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Street Fighter V' will display optional in-game ads starting December 11th

Kreydo

In the end those terrible ads don't help the game and does the EXACT opposite of what Capcom expected(cause they are stupid).

Putting hideous logo everywhere on your favorite characters and making loading time longer will not make people want to buy stuff or want to look at the Capcom Pro Tour!
The Capcom Pro tour isn't even advertised properly in the game, people don't even know when it's on air or what is it about! Wtf seriously.

Now people just found another reason to hate and not play Street Fighter V, Gratz Capcom!

Morinaga

It's like if you were a cashier, and getting a raise meant you have an ad play on your register POS when ringing up a customer, but you can opt-out of your raise. Obviously the stakes are lower, but that's the shape of the model.

Yea, I get your point. And yea after seeing the ADs first hand in SFV, its garbage. However my point was more to the agressive stance against the advertising in the game. And yes you are right the RedBull advertising was well thought out and I thought actually kinda cool.

manfestival

unfortunately we all know about the slippery slope but game companies have a history of going down it all the time. It is a real shame that they would even consider making this move.

Crap, and when they finally added Sagat and I was interested again, they go and do this.

Damn, Capcom, is there anything you can't f*** up anymore?

(Looks at Monster Hunter World)

Okay, so there's that. But that's it.

kunonabi

According to the Japanese CFN FM earned from extra battles is being reduced. Could be a typo so I'll refrain from saying I told you so for now.

Nymphae

Banned
According to the Japanese CFN FM earned from extra battles is being reduced. Could be a typo so I'll refrain from saying I told you so for now.

https://shoryuken.com/2018/12/12/ca...reet-fighter-v-arcade-edition-version-03-110/
However, these notes do not specify how Capcom have rebalanced Extra Battle in regards to the Shadaloo Soldiers or Crossover Costume pieces. You can view the full patch notes below.

https://shoryuken.com/2018/12/10/st...patch-will-also-re-balance-extra-battle-mode/
Tuesday’s patch for Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition is set to add some balance changes to the game’s Extra Battle mode — according to the official Shadaloo CRI page. Capcom claims that they’ve analyzed the data from some of the fights in Extra Battle, and will be adjusting the difficulty and replayability of some of the missions going forward.

What exactly they’ll be adjusting has not been stated as of this time, however. That said, this could mean that some missions which feature opponents that give out large sums of fight money, while being easily beaten with certain special moves might be getting adjusted (Flash-Kicking Golden Shadaloo Soldiers to death, for example).

I wonder if they are actually reducing the FM for these battles, or doing some other sort of "rebalancing"

Kreydo

(Looks at Monster Hunter World)

Okay, so there's that. But that's it.
MH is a more casual game that appeal to a lot bigger audience than a competitive fighting game like SFV.
Nowaday "PvP" multiplayer user are more about mainstream experience like Battle Royal, than a game like SFV that require dedication.

Don't underestimate the ego and the frustration of the common 'pvp' player, they all think they are winners, and at some point they want to win(have fun) or they quit...
Much easier to be a 'Winner' on Fortnite or on Battle Royal, than being a 'decent' player on SFV or any competitive fighting game.

Last edited:

kaydigi

Can someone post Capcom of Japan customer service address. I would like to mail my copy of SFV with a note saying no thank you.

iconmaster

Banned
I was really happy to see Street Fighter stage a comeback with IV.

Now I think maybe it can just go away.

These ads aren't even well integrated. They look like stickers plastered randomly onto the characters.

d205b3f1d67848b3067609d8962bd8e2.jpg

50ddd31ae01334d819ff2ddb557768c9.jpg

Last edited:

yurinka

Do you not see the slippery slope here? Have you not learned from DLC, MTX's, and Lootboxes? Do you trust the game industry to keep the ads non exploitative? Do you think they don't have long term goals here and do you not see that this is their foot in the door?
Whatever else you can imagine that the industry can do is just in your head.

SFV are not exploitative and are optional, period. If they change them in the future for an exploitative version then we'll complain but right now it doesn't make sense. You can play the game perfectly without ads if you want and doesn't matter: the reward you get for viewing them is small so it doesn't almost affect the game economy.

So it doesn't negatively impact us as of now, while it may generate extra revenue for Capcom that they can reinvest on future new content, features, fixes, gameplay rebalancing and so on.

See, this is the problem. Only gaming consumers care if huge corporations are making money.
This money helps them to support the game for a longer period of time. First, paying the servers and related maintenance, and not shutting them down. And second, paying extra development of additional features, content, fixes, tweaks, gameplay rebalance and so on.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Whatever else you can imagine that the industry can do is just in your head.

SFV are not exploitative and are optional, period. If they change them in the future for an exploitative version then we'll complain but right now it doesn't make sense. You can play the game perfectly without ads if you want and doesn't matter: the reward you get for viewing them is small so it doesn't almost affect the game economy.

So it doesn't negatively impact us as of now, while it may generate extra revenue for Capcom that they can reinvest on future new content, features, fixes, gameplay rebalancing and so on.
It's the horse armor of ads in games. Some people never learn.

yurinka

It's the horse armor of ads in games. Some people never learn.
Some people making non sensical comparisions because they ran out of arguments when throwing shit to SF without any reason, just because trolling SF is "cool". Some people never learn.

PS: If you don't like ads just disable them and problem solved. Good luck trying to remove ads in other "non horse armor" games with ads, and without paying an extra fee for doing it.
I wonder if they are actually reducing the FM for these battles, or doing some other sort of "rebalancing"
As of now what they did is to include an additional battle against a character with a Christmas costume every 2 days to earn a ticket during the Christmas season. Seems that they compensate the extra FM you may earn with adds by including additional places (more extra battles at the same time) where you can spend it.

Difficulty or reward didn't seem different but who knows, maybe they change it for the upcoming Extra Battles.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Some people making non sensical comparisions because they ran out of arguments when throwing shit to SF. Some people never learn.

I think there is a pattern of the game industry exploiting extra income like DLC, MTX's and lootboxes but you think it will be different this time. That's what is nonsensical.

Oh and I am not throwing shit at SF, never have and never will because I don't care about SF and to me this issue goes far beyond that ONE game.

This money helps them to support the game for a longer period of time. First, paying the servers and related maintenance, and not shutting them down. And second, paying extra development of additional features, content, fixes, tweaks, gameplay rebalance and so on.

I was just at KFC/A&W and I ordered a Papa Burger meal. Now I suppose I could have offered to pay double the price to support the company and their continued existence as well as the continued existence of this combo meal but that would be stupid, wouldn't it?

Only the game industry has consumers willing to bend over so that they (the game industry) can make some extra money. From the outside looking in, it truly is a pathetic sight to behold.

Nymphae

Banned
As of now what they did is to include an additional battle against a character with a Christmas costume every 2 days to earn a ticket during the Christmas season. Seems that they compensate the extra FM you may earn with adds by including additional places (more extra battles at the same time) where you can spend it.

Difficulty or reward didn't seem different but who knows, maybe they change it for the upcoming Extra Battles.

Well kunonabi kunonabi said it sounds like they might reduce your Extra Battle attempts from 3 to 1, which is a fairly significant decrease in the FM you are able to earn, and they certainly aren't compensating for that with the FM from ads. A couple of extra tickets here and there is not really much compensation either as those are just random loot boxes that more often than not simply give me junk (doko items and battle consumables)

Last edited:
People wonder why I dread next generation so much and things are going to get perturbingly worst. I feel like these advertisements in sf5 will be a mosquito bite compared to what the companies have in store for consumers. They are going to see how far they can take these tactics.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
People wonder why I dread next generation so much and things are going to get perturbingly worst. I feel like these advertisements in sf5 will be a mosquito bite compared to what the companies have in store for consumers. They are going to see how far they can take these tactics.

Well since some consumers never learn and keep saying 'ads are ok if they are optional' or 'ads are ok since they support the company', I think we can count on things getting pretty bad next gen. Some of these consumers would play in traffic until there was fatal proof that they could get hit by a car.

Last edited:

FranXico

This is an experiment. For now, you can just toggle it on or off. But it won't stay like this...

Just wait until Capcom decides to "give" you a FM "boost" if you turn ads on. Or "free" (hell, even exclusive) DLC characters depending on how long you've had the ads turned on.

Now, imagine what the likes of Ubisoft and Activision will do with ads.

This is just the beginning.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
Those ads look horrible when they show up on characters. The art designers must be pissed looking at their designs desecrated like this. Sure, you can turn it off, but if this is successful, it sets a precedence for other companies to follow and possibly try something more worse, and for capcom to find a way to make this a necessary thing in the future. I hope this backfires.

ill say if the ads doesnt waste time and arent intrusive i dont give a flying fuck. what i mean is like a youtube or twitch ad where everything stops and you just have to sit there and watch it. if its in the fucking background or like on a loading screen and i get more points or whatever then i dont give a shit. people most likely are blowing this shit way out of proportion. just turn it off if you dont like it. it will be the same fucking game

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was really happy to see Street Fighter stage a comeback with IV.

Now I think maybe it can just go away.

These ads aren't even well integrated. They look like stickers plastered randomly onto the characters.

d205b3f1d67848b3067609d8962bd8e2.jpg

50ddd31ae01334d819ff2ddb557768c9.jpg
Those pics look incredibly stupid.

Next up, Pro Tour tattoos, Pro Tour shoe logos, and..... the timer is sponsored by Pro Tour.

In that Ryu vs Alex pic, I can already see 10 logos. 11 if Alex turned his right hand. Wouldn't be surprised of there's more I missed or there's a tag on the back of someone's pants.

I was surprised to see the ads turned on by default.
The loading screen ones arent too bad, but the ads on costumes really look horrible. I turned them all off anyway.

Javthusiast

Banned
So they nerfed fm gain if you turn off the ads? Or did I hear it wrong, cause then it is a pretty shitty thing to do to the loyal fanbase who still plays this game.

Cause they can bet their ass on the fact that sfv won't gain that many new players anyway.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Capcom exec: We need more profits from the SF franchise

Capcom dev: We can release Xbox and Switch versions. We already have PS4 and PC. Ports shouldn't be a problem and we can sell millions more copies.

Capcom exec: No. Let's do in-game ads

onQ123

...because it won't remain optional and will become more widespread. You'll still be pretending that it's ok to ignore it then as well.

It's the future & something that a lot of games will have to do in order to survive in the streaming era.

Soon these games will be part of $10 - $20 a month subscriptions

Nymphae

Banned
Capcom exec: We need more profits from the SF franchise

Capcom dev: We can release Xbox and Switch versions. We already have PS4 and PC. Ports shouldn't be a problem and we can sell millions more copies.

Capcom exec: No. Let's do in-game ads

I wonder why it hasn't gone multiplat yet.

Fuz

Banned
...because it won't remain optional and will become more widespread. You'll still be pretending that it's ok to ignore it then as well.
I can't believe you're still here trying to explain this. At this point I don't know if it's patience or you have an OCD XD

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I can't believe you're still here trying to explain this. at this point I don't know if it's patience or you have an OCD XD

Yeah, some people just never learn. They just seem to believe that the game industry would never exploit ad revenue. Naive.

It's the future & something that a lot of games will have to do in order to survive in the streaming era.

Soon these games will be part of $10 - $20 a month subscriptions

I think it's commonly accepted that this is the dropping point for a lot of people. I for one want nothing to do with that stupid future and I'll be fine without it. This isn't such an inevitability, if it sucks and enough people reject it then it won't happen.

Edit: I don't even mean streaming here, I mean the reduction of production values and dumbed down design that's created with the sole mission of yanking money out of fools.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yeah, some people just never learn. They just seem to believe that the game industry would never exploit ad revenue. Naive.
People don't understand ad based content, yet have endured these revenue generating or cost cutting methods????? lol

- Games sold on cartridges or discs (the start of gaming)....
- Games selling expansion packs (it started with computer games)....
- Games inking rudimentary ad deals (brand ads in EA Sports)....
- Games inking bigger "partnership deals".... exclusivity, marketing, timed content....
- Games selling DLC....
- Games selling "confirmed" microtrans (it started with small digital trinkets)....
- Games selling "chance" microtrans (lootbox, EA Sports ultimate packs..... rolling the dice/gambling kinds of things)....
- Games selling Season passes....
- Games offering standard games, then steelbook deluxe, then collector's bundles, then holy grail $200 bundles with "insert character here blow up doll with lube, and hologram plastic stickers which has a cost of goods $2 per 1,000 sheets"
- Games selling subscription plans (game based like MMOs, console based like PS Now, Gamepass types of stuff)....
- Games cutting costs by going digital....
- Digital games being locked out from a platform in hopes you rebuy it again on a new platform

Am I missing anything? And somehow ad revenue is a new innovation?

Looking at the above list, there hasn't been one bullet point that came, and went away.

Last edited:

onQ123

I think it's commonly accepted that this is the dropping point for a lot of people. I for one want nothing to do with that stupid future and I'll be fine without it. This isn't such an inevitability, if it sucks and enough people reject it then it won't happen.

Edit: I don't even mean streaming here, I mean the reduction of production values and dumbed down design that's created with the sole mission of yanking money out of fools.

This will actually counter the reduction is production value. If devs are getting money from ads it will push them to keep adding to the games to keep us coming to the game so they can get ad money.

StormCell

Am I missing anything? And somehow ad revenue is a new innovation?

Looking at the above list, there hasn't been one bullet point that came, and went away.

You may as well include these optional game ads because I'm pretty sure they started with mobile games. It started with them going away if you bought the game, but then some paid games still include ads for continued content support, etc. Now, we see them popping up in console games. I imagine the future mirrors mobile. Load screens will be filled with interactive ads that you must engage with before moving forward into the actual game...

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
This will actually counter the reduction is production value. If devs are getting money from ads it will push them to keep adding to the games to keep us coming to the game so they can get ad money.

Yes because that's worked so well with websites. Or we'll get the game equivalent of clickbait. Skinner boxes designed to keep us there, eyes on screen, doing nothing much of interest, like we're on twitter or facebook, a pig in a cage on antibiotics.

Zog

Banned
Yes because that's worked so well with websites. Or we'll get the game equivalent of clickbait. Skinner boxes designed to keep us there, eyes on screen, doing nothing much of interest, like we're on twitter or facebook, a pig in a cage on antibiotics.

Top 25 lists that have a new page for each list item just to push more ads.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Honestly if mainstream games go the way of mobile games with ads and pay to win/ways to get more revenue while impacting the game experience. Plus having to buy the game and a season pass etc from that point I am done with them I will just play retro games. Or games that are self contained. It sucks we pay money and give time for them to rinse more revenue.

Rember guys when all we had to worry about was horse armor remember when all the coprate shills were defending look at were we at now and there's still people defending it . Anyways I put my money were my mouth is and stopped buying games with gatcha transactions.

Nymphae

Banned
Rember guys when all we had to worry about was horse armor remember when all the coprate shills were defending look at were we at now and there's still people defending it . Anyways I put my money were my mouth is and stopped buying games with gatcha transactions.

I'm curious to know how many of those staunchly against DLC practices in this thread have abstained from purchasing any themselves in the 12 years since the release of the horse armour DLC.

Zog

Banned
I'm curious to know how many of those staunchly against DLC practices in this thread have abstained from purchasing any themselves in the 12 years since the release of the horse armour DLC.

I stopped buying DLC years ago.

Nymphae

Banned
I guess I just don't understand the notion that this all could have been avoided if gamers just took a stand with the horse armour. This shit was inevitable I think, they were going to try and find ways to sell you more stuff, and a certain number of consumers are going to buy into it. In no universe can I imagine gamers staving DLC off forever.

The existence of DLC hasn't really even bothered me all that much since it's arrival. I've purchased 3 pieces of DLC I think in 12 years (first was an AC2 mission, hated it and swore off DLC, then Bloodborne, then Spider-Man this year). I almost never see DLC as worth it, so I never buy it. It being there hasn't really negatively impacted my gaming life significantly, I still get great games every year. Sure, we can have a discussion about how DLC practices can negatively impact game development, be exploitative, etc., and I'm right there with you.

I vote with each game I buy, and as long as there are games that still exist that allow me to have a good time without buying DLC or forcing ads, I'm not going to worry all that much frankly. I'm not in a panic that it's going to destroy the industry and gaming forever, because I think the market sorts this stuff out for the most part. They push hard, but people will only accept so much before they buy the alternative product, and there will always be one. We're going on 13 years into DLC and I haven't had to buy a damn thing, and have had so much amazing shit to play in those 13 years. It hasn't ruined the industry. It's shitty, but yeah, like I said, I think it was inevitable and your only option will always be to simply choose to spend money on the things you think are worth it.

Top Bottom