• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter VI To Release In 2021 Worldwide – Rumor

Street-Fighter-VI.jpg

Street Fighter VI has yet to be announced, but it's likely that it will be released in early 2021.

Following the Grand Finals at Capcom Cup 2019 last weekend, the Japanese company revealed some changes coming to the competition in 2020, and that next year's champion will not automatically qualify for the 2021 competition. This happened back in 2016, as the 2015 Capcom Cup champion Kazunoko did not qualify for the 2016 competition due to Street Street Fighter V releasing in a few months. This means that Street Fighter VI will be released in time for Capcom Cup 2021, likely early in the year.
The Capcom Cup 2020 champion will not be auto-qualified for Capcom Cup 2021.

This confirms that there will be a Capcom ProTour in 2021, and also possibly hints that SF6 will come out in 2021.

Kazunoko did not auto-qualify for Capcom Cup 2016 despite winning in 2015 for USFIV. pic.twitter.com/WgUOvzs8oD

— UYU | Chelsea ? (@Chelsnii) December 17, 2019
Street Fighter V is going to receive a new DLC character, the SF IV boss Seth, in February, alongside the Champion Edition, which will include all of the content released for the game since its release.

It’s time for Seth, the boss character from Street Fighter IV, to return and bring his kingdom of chaos to Street Fighter V: Champion Edition! A master move mimicker, Seth constantly seeks new data from the fiercest fighters in the world and has the unique ability to steal moves from an opponent. Seth takes form when Street Fighter V: Champion Edition releases on February 14, 2020!

Tiamat2san

Hope it’s true.
We need a new street fighter ASAP.
I hope it will be multi consoles.
This kind of game could be multi gen too.
It will sell better and the community will be bigger.

TacosNSalsa

That would be weird . 3 4 and 5 released in Feb. Assumably for enough time to get acclimated for EVO . Releasing after evo for Capcom Cuo gives players about 3 months to get used to the game doesn't seem like enough time .

fallingdove

Don't see the need, V has a timeless look and great gameplay. Just launch an ultimate version with updated loading, graphics and quality of life improvements. Job done.

No thank you.

Even after all these years, V is one of the weakest entries in the series.

The game needs more than a graphical update, it needs an overhaul. Other fighters have already left it in the dust. Get rid of banana hair ken and neck beard akuma. Get rid of the plastic-y 90’s action figures. Get back to the absolute beauty that was Third Strike.

In terms of the gameplay: bring the precision back. Get rid of the gimmicks (V-triggers and V-skills were stupid). Make the supers less about spectacle...

Last edited:
I hope SF6 will be the refined version of SF3 third strike, and i hope they make something in celshading like the new Guilty Gear.

V4skunk

Banned
That would be weird . 3 4 and 5 released in Feb. Assumably for enough time to get acclimated for EVO . Releasing after evo for Capcom Cuo gives players about 3 months to get used to the game doesn't seem like enough time .
3 months is enough time. It isn't like some players are going to have an advantage..

I hope SF6 will be the refined version of SF3 third strike, and i hope they make something in celshading like the new Guilty Gear.
Don't bet on it. One of the trademark aspects of numbered Street Fighter entries is that they differ widely from the previous titles. They don't stand to be the replacement or slightly enhanced version of the last one, they stand next to each other.

Whenever SF6 does indeed come to light, it will be very different from the others, if history is to be believed.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Knowing how well SFV did, I doubt that.

it didn't do well though... they missed their sales targets by a mile. By now I think the game has sold as many as SFIV did last-gen, but SFV has been like $10-$15 for years now, while Capcom was moving $40 ____ SFIV games like nobody's business on PS3/360.

Life

Champions Edition seems like an attempt to milk SFV one last time before its death. Game would have died long ago, if it wasn't for the sponsorship.

it didn't do well though... they missed their sales targets by a mile. By now I think the game has sold as many as SFIV did last-gen, but SFV has been like $10-$15 for years now, while Capcom was moving $40 ____ SFIV games like nobody's business on PS3/360.
Dont forget about the exclusivity deal, Sony didnt made the same margin per sell as SF4.

flacopol

will be great to see something like 3rd strike or give the development to the fighter z team , Arc System Works
imagine any super of SF with the cinematic style .... also the the lore and the details in fighter z game....

TacosNSalsa

3 months is enough time. It isn't like some players are going to have an advantage..
Think it has more to do with it than just that . There are bugs , imbalances and whatever other BS that pops up that they don't want popping up at EVO or CC. Remember when SFV first launched and Ryu was a top 3 character?? Damn, it was beautiful :messenger_smiling:! Then they slapped the sh*t out of him with the nerf bat and by EVO he didn't even make top 8 .I have a feeling they'll do the same thing again , don't see why they'll change that .

Sounds pretty likely, I just hope it's multiplatform this time. Overall I don't think Sony's exclusivity worked out for the best with SFV, and I wouldn't want SF6 to do the same thing with either them or Microsoft. SF's always been a multiplatform series in terms of consoles so SF6 should continue that again.

Also: they better NOT do any stupid censoring or make the game look like a Netherrealm or even Arc fighter. No offense to either but the SFV girls are far too succulently T H I C C and J U I C Y to be properly translated into their engines. I mean just look at this:

giphy.gif

MjXOVun.gif

D1F2A6C86027B7E6DBC9AA5C9CAD42491B886149

231333bc6a48c9a5197a55461b61bc4d.gif

efbd7ed73eaab2a243f4e7e38c35d756.gif

BAR NONE, STILL the best fighter in terms of hot-looking females. You can't get this with MK or even GG artstyle ;)

thelastword

Banned
Don't see the need, V has a timeless look and great gameplay. Just launch an ultimate version with updated loading, graphics and quality of life improvements. Job done.
Here-Here, my most played game this gen......Still, cant wait to see what they bring for SF6....

No thank you.

Even after all these years, V is one of the weakest entries in the series.

The game needs more than a graphical update, it needs an overhaul. Other fighters have already left it in the dust. Get rid of banana hair ken and neck beard akuma. Get rid of the plastic-y 90’s action figures. Get back to the absolute beauty that was Third Strike.

In terms of the gameplay: bring the precision back. Get rid of the gimmicks (V-triggers and V-skills were stupid). Make the supers less about spectacle...

What are y'all smoking, V looks friggin' great. It's the SF3 artstyle in 3D more or less. They aren't going back to 2D. Ever. It offers no benefits to them vs. 3D. The only things wrong with SFV's graphics are some of the hair physics, some artifacting and a few bad textures but otherwise is the best-looking fighter this gen imho; both in artstyle and animations especially (like I said, it's basically SF3 in 3D).

I hope SF6 iterates on V's visual style, just with better lighting, textures and hair/cloth physics. Otherwise we're good. Also SF's always had gimmicks; 3 had parries, 4 had Focus and Ultras, Alpha had the 'Ism system, CvS2 had the Groove system etc. That's kinda the gimmick with SF; every new entry brings in some new universal game mechanic or two. That's why the games play so differently.

They probably should tone down on some of the Supers tho; some of them land full-hit when they would drop after the first hit or so in older games. Too easy to land full-hit, full-damage Supers in V but they did that because Ultras weren't coming back.

but the last one the player 2 side has lag.... punk get second place and the videos shows too much lag , drop combos

Youtube Reference video

Yeah they gotta look into that. FWIW tho a lot of other players won from P2 side as well.

Last edited:
It would make more sense to kick-off a new hardware generation with a new game, instead of either continuing to support the old tech or waste resources building an intermediary port of SF5. Whenever it releases, I'm just curious to see whether Capcom makes any legitimate effort to extend an olive branch to non-tournament players or double downs on the esports crowd (ideally, they would try to please both parties, at least at the title's launch).

Last edited:
SFV looks great? That's a first... Just to mention some beautiful aspects:

Ken's face
30fps low-res backgrounds
Clipping issues everywhere

Last edited:
SFV was and is a pretty butt ugly game. Where each entry did something new... like Alpha going anime, SF3 going after gorgeous animation, SF4 doing the ink brush look and character models closely resembling Ikeno's art.... SFV just lacked a visual identity.

Some of the characters looked great like Zangief or Urien... some looked horrible like Ken or Akuma. They brought Bengus out of retirement to do the 2d art... but his style had changed so much, it was barely recognizable.

Guilty Gear and DBZ Fighters turned out to be such spectacular looking games... that Arc literally put Capcom to shame. My hope for SF6 is they bring in Kinu or Shinkiro... and do something very stylized like Arc has been doing.... Please save Street Fighter Itsuno-san!

Knightime_X

If they use the same engine they used in dmc v and re2 remake the characters are going to look extremely weird.

Christ Redfield looks unrecognizable.

Last edited:
I refuse to take anyone seriously who says SF4 had a more visually appealing art style than SFV. Now it wasn't as bad as SFvTekken (Good Lord, that game looks like vomit), but a lot of the graphics don't look that good anymore and arguably weren't great at the time, either. Especially the earlier character models. Maybe you can say it's visual style is charming, but it does show its age.

Animation-wise it's not even a contest; SFV has some of the smoothest and stylized animations in the scene. Only Tekken 7 is competitive on that note. GG Xrd Rev 2 has a lot of cool-looking moves but it's a stretch to say they're "smooth", though for that style it's intentional. Don't even get me started on Injustice 2 or MK11; the less said about their animations the better.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope so, SFV has some new characters that feel incredibly out of place. The game felt ok at first, but I’ve completely ignored it until I bought the upgrade.

Last edited:
At this stage I'll take such rumours with a grain of salt.

Theoretically this would be the first title to move past SF3, so one can only wonder what they'd attempt with the cast. I do hope 6 goes back to a more arcade style, both in it's presentation and speed. SF5 is fun enough but it always feels so...I dunno, flat?

petran79

Banned
With SFIV being popular in arcades, asian players had the advantage as they got to play competively and train much earlier.
SFV had a simultaneous release worldwide and on consoles, so it was accessible to more players at the same time. Problem is that it took way longer to adapt to the gameplay and for matches to become interesting. But as a result asian players were not as dominant this time and matches were far more competitive. I think the lack of arcade scene in this game hurt it in the long run when it comes to quality matches and tech.
Same will happen with SF6, but I hope there will also be an arcade game release sooner this time.

Furozen

If they use the same engine they used in dmc v and re2 remake the characters are going to look extremely weird.

Christ Redfield looks unrecognizable.
I doubt they're considering RE Engine for Street Fighter series. Hell... even Monster Hunter: World was made on MT Framework, because Capcom wanted more stylized look for the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom