• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Streets of Rage 4; a masterclass in revamping a dormant franchise...and other modern sequels to classics

VGEsoterica

If you grew up with Sega you grew up with Streets of Rage. I didn't know a single friend that had a Genesis that DIDNT have a copy of SoR to go along with it. It was basically the OTHER game basically everyone owned along side Sonic the Hedgehog...which means it was ONE HELL OF A GAME.

But like tons of Sega franchises that didn't involve a blue hedgehog...after the 16 bit era it basically it basically all went to hell.

But somehow Sega (with help obviously) righted the ship with Streets of Rage 4 and absolutely got a dormant franchise back on track

Which got me thinking...what other long forgotten franchises were dusted off by the owners and given back to the fans with GOOD games. Also...the games that tried to relaunch a franchise and totally blew it lol

What do you have for me GAF?

Labolas

It shows that the dev team actually gave a shit and care about the franchise and the genre as a whole. It doesn't feel like a cheap knock off of what came before. They add mechanics and depth to the series. The music is great and have some bangers. Then they add more a rouge-lite mode and training puts as one of the best beat em ups to play.

Last edited:

amigastar

I've never played Streets of Rage as i was a Nintendo guy, so i don't have nostalgia towards this game. All I've played was Final Fight in the Arcades. I also haven't played Streets of Rage 4, will have to do it sometimes in the future.

Miles708

Streets of Rage has always been so much better than Final Fight, or any other beat em up franchise. The only game better than SoR2 is probably Guardian Heroes, which is peak Treasure and therefore unbeatable.

Still have to play 4, I'm cautiously optimistic but not fully convinced, but I'll do soon.

Monster/wonder Boy also had quite a weird renaissance lately, between new chapters and remake of older ones.
My favourite still is Wonder Boy And The Dragon's Trap, the new art is fantastic and the game is condensed and fun. Great stuff

agreed high quality GIF

It shows that the dev team actually gave a shit and care about the franchise and the genre as a whole. It doesn't feel like a cheap knock off of what came before. They add mechanics and depth to the series. The music is great and have some bangers. Then they add more a rouge-lite mode and training puts as one of the best beat em ups to play.
Started playing SoR4 with classic food items, retro soundtrack and legacy controls. I came......

Hearing the Expander track in a later level in this game made me jump on the couch like Tom Cruise. It's my favorite game sountrack EVER!

This game is such a breath of fresh air, as I thought Double Dragon Neon would be a good successor to the originals, but boy did they fuck that up...........

People who dig SoR4 should take a look at The TakeOver. its SoR with guns and SoR's original composer even made a track for it.
https://www.giantbomb.com/yuzo-kosh...-contributed-a-track-to-the-takeover-1843897/

I know it looks A LOT like SoR, that would be correct as this is an homage to SoR. :)

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The only similar and recent thing that comes to my mind is Two Point Hospital. Theme Hospital wasn't a classic, nor was it even a franchise, but the Two Point guys absolutely nailed what the old fans wanted to the point where there really is no point in going back to Theme Hospital at all now.

Started playing SoR4 with classic food items, retro soundtrack and legacy controls. I came......

Hearing the Expander track in a later level in this game made me jump on the couch like Tom Cruise. It's my favorite game sountrack EVER!

This game is such a breath of fresh air, as I thought Double Dragon Neon would be a good successor to the originals, but boy did they fuck that up...........

People who dig SoR4 should take a look at The TakeOver. its SoR with guns and SoR's original composer even made a track for it.
https://www.giantbomb.com/yuzo-kosh...-contributed-a-track-to-the-takeover-1843897/

I know it looks A LOT like SoR, that would be correct as this is an homage to SoR. :)

Don't be talking shit about neon. That was a great game.

PhaseJump

Banned
Wonder Boy/Monster World is the big comeback for Sega IP.

Dragons Trap remake, Monster Boy, MW4 on Mini, MW4 remake.

VGEsoterica

100%. A dev team that CARES is better than anything else skills wise

Naked Lunch

I didnt care for SoR4 - I thought the originals destroyed it. Never got the hype.
I couldnt even bring myself to finish it.
I hated the look of the game and the gameplay felt stiff for some reason - plus the music wasnt close.
Maybe ill have to give it another shot.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good game. The way remakes should be done. I played on GP at launch. Lots of cheap hits the AI does on you, but the game had a big patch that fixed up things. Too bad I already beat the game by then.

VGEsoterica

I didnt care for SoR4 - I thought the originals destroyed it. Never got the hype.
I couldnt even bring myself to finish it.
I hated the look of the game and the gameplay felt stiff for some reason - plus the music wasnt close.
Maybe ill have to give it another shot.
Everyone gets their opinion so long as they played it :)

Ristifer

I think the SoR4 OST is the best of the series. It has some serious bangers. Next of Kin Showdown, Funky HQ, Rising Up, the main theme, etc. Come at me.

Business

I've never played Streets of Rage as i was a Nintendo guy, so i don't have nostalgia towards this game. All I've played was Final Fight in the Arcades. I also haven't played Streets of Rage 4, will have to do it sometimes in the future.

Never had a Megadrive and so it was Final Fight for me too. All I can say is Streets of Rage 4 is the real deal.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
SoR3 was my favorite of the older games. When I first saw SoR4 I thought it looked a little weird like a flash game or something, but once I played I was blown away by how good it looked and played. Played through it twice with my boys. My favorite character is Adam. Love the jump split-kick with the Michael Jackson “Wooo!”.

They really need to make another Golden Axe game. I have no doubt it would be amazing. Last I read, Lizard Cube was hiring for a “new action game”. Hopefully it’s Golden Axe, but I remember some Shinobi Easter eggs, so it could be that.

Knightime_X

I compared sor4 to Sor remake v5 and I find sor remake v5 to be more fun.
I'm not a fan of sor4's art style, especially with low amount of animation. It just looks weird to me.
There are a handful or tracks that sound good in sor4, but gameplay wise... I'd have to give it a 3rd chance.

GametimeUK

I know a lot of people have that one game that got them through a bad time. Streets of Rage 4 pulled me out of the darkest void I've ever been lost in. Incredible game that successfully brings a classic formula to modern times.

Sonic Mania has given me similar vibes and so has the new Turtles game. I can't wait to see what game gets the treatment next.

It's difficult for games to recapture the glory days and stay somewhat true to their roots. Double Dragon Neon seems like one of those titles that was unsuccessful.

I remember Mega Man 9 being a cool retro throwback type of game back in the day.

SALMORE

nothing will top SOR4 ! it's an instant classic , Shredder's Revenge added combos , juggles and other things but still not on the same level & depth of SOR4

other modern attempts like River City Girls & Final Vaneddta feels primitive compare to SOR4

VGEsoterica

nothing will top SOR4 ! it's an instant classic , Shredder's Revenge added combos , juggles and other things but still not on the same level & depth of SOR4

other modern attempts like River City Girls & Final Vaneddta feels primitive compare to SOR4
Choosing between this and Shredders revenge is hard because both are awesome. Which is great!

I thought the original release was weak as the base characters with their default movesets were a step below their predecessors in 3, but the Mr. X Nightmare DLC made Streets of Rage 4 my favorite of the franchise as it added better playing characters, modified movesets, and provided an amazing randomly generated survival simulation with power ups, new weapons, old enemies, and old stages.

P.S. Did not like the Streets of Rage: Remake as it lacked structure and was throwing too much at the player where progress would stall mid stage harder than any other beat 'em up I have played.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

I thought the original release was weak as the base characters with their default movesets were a step below their predecessors in 3, but the Mr. X Nightmare DLC made Streets of Rage 4 my favorite of the franchise as it added better playing characters, modified movesets, and provided an amazing randomly generated survival simulation with power ups, new weapons, old enemies, and old stages.

P.S. Did not like the Streets of Rage: Remake as it lacked structure and was throwing too much at the player where progress would stall mid stage harder than any other beat 'em up I have played.
The DLC def brought a lot to the table

Kokoloko85

It was great. Like Sonic Mania too.
Id love for them to work on SOR5 or Trilogy remake

Also time for Shinobi to get the same treatment

ReBurn

Gold Member
I really enjoy Streets of Rage 4. They did a good job with it. Side scrolling beat 'em ups were a staple in my prime gaming days and this one didn't disappoint.

Saber

Gold Member
Everyone gets their opinion so long as they played it :)

I got the game, played, beat it several times, played coop and despite giving a praise I wouldn't say it live to its praise. There alot of silly and stupid choices that hinders the gameplay.

If I would name a game that deserves the praise, besides having a few issues, would be Sonic Mania.

Last edited:
Top Bottom