• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strictly Limited Games to release 30th anniversary edition of Turrican

Bullet Club

Strictly Limited Games to release 30th anniversary edition of Turrican

Full announcement planned for Gamescom 2020: Opening Night Live.

yEuWg0u.jpg

Strictly Limited Games is partnering with the original development team behind the 1990-released Turrican to release a “special 30th birthday edition” of the game, the publisher announced.

“After three decades in dormancy, we welcome the return of a true legend,” Strictly Limited Games said in a press release. “Developed by one of Europe’s greatest independent studios of all time, Factor 5’s Turrican series became one of the most acclaimed and well regarded video games of all time shortly after its release in 1990. Now, teaming up with the original development team, Strictly Limited Games is excited to bring back this legendary IP.”

An exclusive trailer and more about the 30th brithday edition will be announced during the Gamescom 2020: Opening Night Live stream on August 27 at 11:00 a.m. PT / 2:00 p.m. ET, which you will be able to watch on YouTube and Twitch. After the reveal, Strictly Limited Games will open pre-orders for the exclusive and limited editions via its online store.

Further details were not announced.

Source: Gematsu

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
So, in the end is this some kind of collection of the old titles, a remaster or a proper new Turrican?

RAIDEN1

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but at long last, TURRICAN is getting a reboot/remaster to celebrate its 30th year anniversary, back in the 90s this game was all the rage..and a Turrican 4 has been talked about for years...but finally a new instalment is on the way with the reveal trailer said to be shown at Gamescom in the next 24 hrs or so....

More here: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/08/26/turrican-30th-birthday-edition-ps4-xb1-pc-switch/

Birdo

Banned
Turrican 1 is nice, but Turrican 2 is the legendary one that everyone remembers.

Also, as other have noted, Turrican games are linear. Not very Metroid-like :p

Last edited:

Agent X

So, in the end is this some kind of collection of the old titles, a remaster or a proper new Turrican?

I'd like to know as well.

I had this game on the Commodore 64 way back in 1990, and it was indeed an impressive piece of work. I managed to complete it on one occasion.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
We are in a Golden age 2.0 🙏 :lollipop_weary: This isn't my personal cup of tea, but I know this is a treasured game, sadly neglected for many years. When was the latest console / PC port?

Cool news. Even though i skip on most of their releases, I'm a big fan of Strictly Limitied. I got Bubble Bobble 4, Vasara collection, R-Type Dimensions Ex, and Tokyo 42 from these fine, fine folks.

00_Zer0

As has been said by others, the title is disgusting. OP if I were you I would ask for a title change, because you're not bringing attention to a great game in and of itself, but degrading it by calling it a Metroid clone.

Turrican is far from a Metroid clone. It's actually one of the most well known, and well playing euro action shooters from the 90's. Just because main character has a suit and can roll into a ball doesn't make it a Metroid clone.

Mostly popular on the Amiga, but brought to all the 16 bit systems, with the best console iteration of the series being Super Turrican. No, this series was not as popular here in the US, but at least Factor 5 brought it over here anyway.

Edit-thread merge!

Last edited:

00_Zer0

We are in a Golden age 2.0 🙏 :lollipop_weary: This isn't my personal cup of tea, but I know this is a treasured game, sadly neglected for many years. When was the latest console / PC port?

Cool news. Even though i skip on most of their releases, I'm a big fan of Strictly Limitied. I got Bubble Bobble 4, Vasara collection, R-Type Dimensions Ex, and Tokyo 42 from these fine, fine folks.

These were last seen on console via The Wii shop virtual console. The original first landed on C64, but the Factor 5 versions landed on everything from Amiga to Atari ST, then later ported to 16 bit consoles. The only PC version officially ported over was Turrican 2. It was by a new team though and not by Factor 5, and had upgraded graphics compared to the Amiga version.

The console versions by Factor 5 were Super Turrican, Mega Turrican, and Super Turrican 2. Mega Turrican is a Genesis/Megadrive title while Super Turrican 1 and 2 were exclusive to the SNES.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
These were last seen on console via The Wii shop virtual console. The original first landed on C64, but the Factor 5 versions landed on everything from Amiga to Atari ST, then later ported to 16 bit consoles. The only PC version officially ported over was Turrican 2. It was by a new team though and not by Factor 5, and had upgraded graphics compared to the Amiga version.

The console versions by Factor 5 were Super Turrican, Mega Turrican, and Super Turrican 2. Mega Turrican is a Genesis/Megadrive title while Super Turrican 1 and 2 were exclusive to the SNES.
Thanks. I didn't know they came out on Wii shop.

I've had my eye on that - is it any good? (apologies for thread derail everyone else)
Do you like running through level after level in Bubble Bobble while trying not getting a Game Over?

Then yes. It's a straight modernization of the game, and includes the arcade version too.

CamHostage

Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but at long last, TURRICAN is getting a reboot/remaster to celebrate its 30th year anniversary, back in the 90s this game was all the rage..and a Turrican 4 has been talked about for years...but finally a new instalment is on the way with the reveal trailer said to be shown at Gamescom in the next 24 hrs or so....

More here: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2020/08/26/turrican-30th-birthday-edition-ps4-xb1-pc-switch/

Hmmm? We'll see in a few hours, but that seems to be out of the scope of what Strictly Limited does (though they may be the boxed-copy partner while whatever this new Factor 5 has been making and owning it independently for digital platforms.) I think TheSixAxis may have mistakenly reading into the press release as it being a new thing rather than a remastering of old things by the original team?

Wonder if they're going to troll us and release a remaster of Turrican 3D

Heh, that'd be a questionable choice... but I don't think it every got further enough past just the whitebox prototype to actually go back into full production. Strictly Limited and some old DICE folks were able to rescue Ultracore, but that was a nearly finished game, Turrican 3D would be a much taller order (and wouldn't be what most Turrican fans would want anyway.)

If this is an anniversary collection of Turrican, and it has some behind-the-scenes materials with Julian Eggebrecht and other Factor 5ers, I would like to see it include material where possible of Thornado, Turrican 3D, and other Factor 5 Turrican projects. The Thornado GC Spaceworld teaser shown behind closed doors sadly never saw a public release, so we only have second-hand reports on how that project was going to work out?

rR3CAnM.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
For some reason until very recently (or again in the future likely) my mind kept merging Turrican (2) with Xain'd Sleena, like I was remembering the graphics and basic gameplay of the former with the planet hopping/shmuping of the latter. I'd prefer a Xain'd Sleena further Metroid-fied remake tbh.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I wonder if it will be PC exclusive or release on consoles too. Honestly, I'd prefer to play it on a console.
I doubt it, Strictly Limited Games is big on physical releases so I imagine we will see PS4 and Switch releases of whatever this is. If so, I will buy a physical edition of this for Switch and digital download of it on Steam if available.

00_Zer0

Turrican 30th Anniversary collection

Preorder page is up, but can't preorder yet. Available for both PS4 and Switch.

Edit-
The Collector’s Edition includes:

● Volume 1 & 2 for Nintendo Switch or PlayStation 4
● Large Poster
● Keychain
● Artbook
● Soundtrack Selection CD
● Sticker Sheet
● Making of Documentary Blu-ray
● …and more!

The Ultra Collector’s Edition also includes:
● Amiga style Big-Box!
● Acrylic diorama
● 4-CD Soundtrack Collection
● 20cm Turrican figurine
● Instructional Booklet with game facts and insight
● … and more!

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Wow! 2 volumes worth of games. That will be nice. I want to get the Ultra Collection with Amiga big box. I hope I am lucky enough to get in on time.

Futaleufu

For some reason until very recently (or again in the future likely) my mind kept merging Turrican (2) with Xain'd Sleena, like I was remembering the graphics and basic gameplay of the former with the planet hopping/shmuping of the latter. I'd prefer a Xain'd Sleena further Metroid-fied remake tbh.

Only Nintendo fanboys or ignorants could call Turrican a Metroid clone.

00_Zer0

So, not Turrican 4 as was mistakenly guessed. but still a really nice revival package.
Actually, they haven't announced which games will be included on each volume at Gamescom yet, even though the page is up, but hopefully it leads to Turrican 4. I'm in for the Switch Ultra Collection to matter which games are included.

Edit- My guess volume one has emulated games of Amiga originals with controller improvements..i.e. a jump button.

Second volume- emulated console releases of Mega Turrican, Super Turrican 1 and 2.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Who called it a Metroid clone?
We shit up the thread earlier when another thread was merged with this one. That thread called Turrican a Metroid clone. 😆

I don't see anything in your post wishing for a Metroid-fied sequel of Turrican though or comparing Turrican with Metroid.

CamHostage

Actually, they haven't announced which games will be included on each volume at Gamescom yet, even though the page is up, but hopefully it leads to Turrican 4. I'm in for the Switch Ultra Collection to matter which games are included.

They have now:

Turrican Anthology Vol. 1
  • Turrican (Amiga)
  • Turrican 2 (Amiga)
  • Super Turrican (SNES)
  • Super Turrican Director’s Cut (SNES)
  • Mega Turrican Score Attack (Mega Drive)
Turrican Anthology Vol. 2
  • Turrican 3 (Amiga)
  • Mega Turrican (Mega Drive)
  • Mega Turrican Director’s Cut (Mega Drive)
  • Super Turrican 2 (SNES)
  • Super Turrican 1 Score Attack (SNES)

I'm with you that, either way, this Ultra Collection and some renewed conversation with team members hopefully leads to a Turrican 4 project.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Where did you see the updated list? I keep refreshing the Strictly Limited site and don't see it. That's a great list of games by the way. Just strange that they swapped score attack modes on both collections like that.

Last edited:

Agent X

Those are excellent sets of games! I would have liked to see them include the Commodore 64 versions also, particularly since I played the first game on the C64.

Although I got an Amiga 500 about 2 years after that, I never got any of the Turrican games there, so I'm looking forward to trying those games for the first time.

I'd like to know what the prices will be for these packages. Also, I assume they will have digital releases of these collections as well.

00_Zer0

They have now:

Turrican Anthology Vol. 1
  • Turrican (Amiga)
  • Turrican 2 (Amiga)
  • Super Turrican (SNES)
  • Super Turrican Director’s Cut (SNES)
  • Mega Turrican Score Attack (Mega Drive)
Turrican Anthology Vol. 2
  • Turrican 3 (Amiga)
  • Mega Turrican (Mega Drive)
  • Mega Turrican Director’s Cut (Mega Drive)
  • Super Turrican 2 (SNES)
  • Super Turrican 1 Score Attack (SNES)

I'm with you that, either way, this Ultra Collection and some renewed conversation with team members hopefully leads to a Turrican 4 project.
Thanks for the updated link of the included games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom