• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strictly Limited Games to release 30th anniversary edition of Turrican

Agent X

I'm with you that, either way, this Ultra Collection and some renewed conversation with team members hopefully leads to a Turrican 4 project.

If they do such a game, I'd like to see them approach it in a manner similar to what was done with Sonic Mania. It would great to see their vision of what such a game might've looked like on systems like PlayStation or Saturn, if the series had continued uninterrupted at that time.

CamHostage

(Good you caught the link, didn't want to doublepost.) Still no pre-orders up yet, so we don't know prices. It's a good set of packages, but pricing will matter because these could have obviously fit on a single disc/card pretty easily. (I actually wish that documentary was on the disc/card and included in both volumes rather than on a Blu-Ray only in the Collector's Edition ... but I'm a cheapo who likes to complain about the costs of retro games, so it's really only weird because you can't play the Collector's Edition movie on a Nintendo Switch after you've played the games.)

Those are excellent sets of games! I would have liked to see them include the Commodore 64 versions also, particularly since I played the first game on the C64.

Totally agree that it would have been great to have the Commodore versions in there, especially since Turrican started on C64, not Amiga. Granted, I don't know if there's much reason to play the C64, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, CDTV, or Game Boy versions over what's in this package, but I like having a package that dives deep into the history archives where possible. (That said, there's no reasonable Turrican collection that would have included the 16-bit Universal Soldier...)

Hardcore Gaming 101 did a nice breakdown of the Turricans, which is worth brushing up on while Turrican is on the brain.

Last edited:

CamHostage

LIVE: The Turrican announcement event at Gamescom is happening right now:

(...and, just ended. Very vague, they just talked about Turrican as a franchise and showed some clips of the game. It felt like maybe it was leading up to a T4, but it never mentioned what the announcement was, they didn't even say the name Turrican Anthology. So, I'm sure the Anthology is the thing, but keep hoping for hope?)

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Can't get on Strictly Limited site right now, must be getting hammered or being updated.

Edit-a link just got posted on the Twitter page for the collections. Went all in on the Utra Collection for Switch. About $265 US dollars after shipping.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Turrican Anthology pricing is also up. Kind of ouch... but do be aware that these are "Strictly Limited" releases, rare boxed copies of the products. Both Turrican Anthology Volumes should also be released digitally by ININ Games.

CONSOLE LIMITED EDITIONS
Turrican Anthology Vol. 1 (PS4) - Preorder
€34.99
Turrican Anthology Vol. 1, officially licensed Playstation 4 game.

Turrican Anthology Vol. 1 (NSW) - Preorder
€34.99
Turrican Anthology Vol. 1, officially licensed Nintendo Switch Game game.

Turrican Anthology Vol. 2 (NSW) - Preorder
€34.99
Turrican Anthology Vol. 2, officially licensed Nintendo Switch Game game. Strictly Limited Games exclusive, 34.99€ each. Individually numbered. Limited to 3.500 copies...

Turrican Anthology Vol. 2 (PS4) - Preorder
€34.99
Turrican Anthology Vol. 2, officially licensed Playstation 4 game. Strictly Limited Games exclusive, 34.99€ each. Individually numbered. Limited to 2.000 copies worldwide.

Turrican Collector's Edition (PS4) - Preorder
€99.99
Turrican Collector's Edition, officially licensed Playstation 4 game. Strictly Limited Games exclusive, 99.99€ each. Individually numbered. Limited to 2.500 copies worldwide.
Turrican Collector's Edition (NSW) - Preorder
€99.99
Turrican Collector's Edition, officially licensed Nintendo Switch game. Strictly Limited Games exclusive, 99.99€ each. Individually numbered. Limited to 3.500 copies worldwide.

Turrican Ultra Collector's Edition (PS4) - Preorder
€199.99
Turrican Anthology Vol. 1 & Anthology Vol. 2, officially licensed Playstation 4 game. Strictly Limited Games exclusive, 199.99€ each. Individually numbered. Limited to 499...

Turrican Ultra Collector's Edition (NSW) - Preorder
€199.99
Turrican Anthology Vol. 1 & Anthology Vol. 2, officially licensed Nintendo Switch games. Strictly Limited Games exclusive, 199.99€ each. Individually numbered. Limited to 999 copies...

RETRO CARTRIDGES

Mega Turrican Director's Cut (US Genesis Style) - Preorder
€49.99
Mega Turrican Retro Cartridge, Genesis compatible game, including manual. (Includes Mega Turrican Director's Cut + Mega Turrican + Mega Turrican

Super Turrican 2 (SNES PAL) - Preorder
€49.99
Super Turrican 2 Retro Cartridge, Super Nintendo US compatible game, including manual. (Includes Super Turrican 2 + Super Turrican Score Attack)

Super Turrican 2 (SNES US) - Preorder
€49.99
Super Turrican 2 Retro Cartridge, Super Nintendo US compatible game, including manual. (Includes Super Turrican 2 + Super Turrican Score Attack)

Super Turrican 1 (SNES US) - Preorder
€49.99
Super Turrican 1 Retro Cartridge, Super Nintendo US compatible game, including manual. (Includes Super Turrican Director's Cut + Super Turrican)

Super Turrican 1 (SNES PAL) - Preorder
€49.99
Super Turrican 1 Retro Cartridge, Super Nintendo PAL compatible game, including manual. (Includes Super Turrican Director's Cut + Super Turrican)

Mega Turrican Director's Cut (EU Mega Drive Style) - Preorder
€49.99
Mega Turrican Retro Cartridge, Mega Drive compatible game, including manual. (Includes Mega Turrican Director's Cut + Mega Turrican + Mega Turrican...

ARTWORK

Nintendo Switch Turrican (Anthology) - aluminium plate
€9.99
Artwork of Turrican (Anthology), printed on a 3mm aluminium plate. Decorate your place with this high-quality collectible. Limited to 149 pieces worldwide.

Nintendo Switch Turrican (Modern) - aluminium plate
€9.99
Artwork of Turrican (Modern), printed on a 3mm aluminium plate. Decorate your place with this high-quality collectible. Limited to 149 pieces worldwide.

Nintendo Switch Turrican (Original) - aluminium plate
€9.99
Artwork of Turrican (Original), printed on a 3mm aluminium plate. Decorate your place with this high-quality collectible. Limited to 149 pieces worldwide.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Those are excellent sets of games! I would have liked to see them include the Commodore 64 versions also, particularly since I played the first game on the C64.

Totally agree that it would have been great to have the Commodore versions in there, especially since Turrican started on C64, not Amiga. Granted, I don't know if there's much reason to play the C64, Atari ST, Amstrad CPC, ZX Spectrum, CDTV, or Game Boy versions over what's in this package, but I like having a package that dives deep into the history archives where possible. (That said, there's no reasonable Turrican collection that would have included the 16-bit Universal Soldier...)

Yes, Turrican started on C64 and Manfred Trenz is the original creator and owner of the series. He never contributed to the Factor 5 versions for Amiga or the console ports except for the NES version of Super Turrican. Those versions aren't just downgraded versions of the Amiga games. Many people consider the versions on C64 the better games due to better control, better gameplay, better level design, and speed. Manfred pretty much did most of the work on those versions.

i think later on Factor 5 and Manfred Trenz had disagreements and a falling out over the property, but in recent years I heard they worked everything out behind the scenes. Maybe that's why I have high hopes after this release that we get a true sequel someday.

Edit-Link to Manfred Trenz wiki

An excerpt about his C64 versions.

Turrican was released in 1990, and the game was met with enthusiastic response by both critics and gamers. Trenz had outdone himself with 8-way-scrolling, parallax scrolling, tons of power-ups, mighty weapons and gigantic levels, which were extremely huge for the time. Some levels had a total of 1200 screens with many things to explore and discover, and huge bosses, which were made up of several sprites. There hadn't been a similarly detailed and techinally advanced game on the C64 before. A sequel, Turrican II, already followed in 1991.

The C64 was the main platform for Turrican II, and Manfred Trenz was also responsible for this version. Factor 5 programmed the Amiga port. In order to surpass Turrican, Trenz included shoot'em up levels in the game. The first Turrican had "only" been a run'n'gun.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Yes, Turrican started on C64 and Manfred Trenz is the original creator and owner of the series. He never contributed to the Factor 5 versions for Amiga or the console ports except for the NES version of Super Turrican. Those versions aren't just downgraded versions of the Amiga games. Many people consider the versions on C64 the better games due to better control, better gameplay, better level design, and speed. Manfred pretty much did most of the work on those versions.

Er, yeah, I meant to not list C64 alongside the Factor 5 ports, it should absolutely be a part of any anthology release of Turrican no matter how it plans (and that's good to be made aware of that there are still Turrican fans who like the C64 version the most.) It's a museum piece that should be in a comprehensive collection, it's an impressive C64 achievement that is really interesting to see in action, and it may even be the version of the game that fans would like to see most.

This is apparently the "Factor 5 Turrican Anthology" rather than a total comprehensive Turrican Anthology package, which is what it is... The good news is that Trenz is aware of and seems to be interested in this Turrican Anthology (I don't remember, was he quoted in the trailer?) since he tweeted out about it, and he's still out there making old-school-type games (most recently the PC shmup Crush), so maybe he might be part of a hoped-for Turrican future?

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are the games just emulated or running native with the classic graphics?

I was hoping for a new Turrican.

Last edited:

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
This is cool, I got the Strictly Ltd version of Bubble Bobble on Switch this year, a high quality collectable for about 90 quid. If they're (SLG I mean) doing the same for this, I'm in.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Turrican 2 on Amiga is a good game, but the Music and sound track made the experience and epic game.
Apydia 2 is similar, its a decent game, but the music kicks it up a level as well.

70€ for 30+ years old roms!
tenor.gif

Vindicator

Can't wait for the Turrican Fortnite skin since they're working for Epic now /s

Disappointing tbh, was expecting a new 2D game at least.

RAIDEN1

Can't wait for the Turrican Fortnite skin since they're working for Epic now /s

Disappointing tbh, was expecting a new 2D game at least.
Well its a minor miracle that we are even getting this somewhat new entry in the series, otherwise if you look at the attempts over the past 20 years to bring a new installment, then anyone would think we would never see a Turrican game ever again...so this is something at least, but the prices are a bit steep....

Vindicator

Damn, didn't notice Gunlord X finally being released on PS4 a while ago, happens when getting a new PC.
Currently on sale, just got it for 6 €.

T8SC

Oh yes! I still have my original Amiga game of Turrican II. What a fantastic game.

I think we need to remember just how good that soundtrack is. In my opinion it is still the best soundtrack ever put into a game. Chris Huelsbeck was in god mode when he crafted this.

Intro:

Traps - Level 2

The Wall - Level 8

That's 3 but they're all absolutely amazing. Time to go listen to my Turrican Anthology Soundtrack CD.

Bullet Club

The legendary Hero Returns – Turrican Flashback, a collection with 4 of retro gaming finest moments, with reworked controls and presentation, will be available in retail on Nintendo Switch™ and PlayStation® 4 soon! Turrican Flashback will also be available digitally in the Nintendo eShop and the PlayStation Store.

The intergalactic action adventure that took video games by storm throughout the 1990s, Turrican is heralded around the world as one of the finest examples of action video games of all time. Its unique mix of exploration, atmosphere and blistering non-stop action pushed the genre forward and set the benchmark for years to come, and since its original release in 1991 has proudly been supported by one of the most enthusiastic and loyal fanbases in the medium. And of course, when talking Turrican, you have to mention the incredible musical score by living legend Chris Huelsbeck which has been echoing in play-rooms, venues and even symphony halls for three decades!

Top Bottom