• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strong (muscular) Female characters in video games

yeeeeeezy

Banned
How many are out there? Post a pic. I'll start:

frank-tzeng-u4-nadine-ingame-1.jpg

DrAspirino

Banned
I don't get why this would be an issue though... lol like game designers have to follow your fantasy and only yours. Seeing how it bothers people I hope they create more :messenger_tears_of_joy:

kefla__dbfz_style__by_echosaber1_ddq6bh4-fullview.jpg
Seeing that many of the characters posted here are from japanese developers, it seems that OP fantasy is shared (or fetished, or whatever) across Japan, hence so many strong female characters.

KiteGr

A common theme around many of them is the loss of femininity.
Female humans don't build muscle as easily as males, that's why before the SJW movements they were rarely depicted as action heroes, and when they did, they were considered a rarity, or a joke.

Well... Videogames are an escapist fantasy, so they might as well have fun!
aa4kXrj.png

Last edited:

GreyHorace

A common theme around many of them is the loss of femininity.
Female humans don't build muscle as easily as males, that's why before the SJW movements they were rarely depicted as action heroes, and when they did, they were considered a rarity, or a joke.

That's not exactly true. Muscular women in fiction still have feminine mannerisms and desires, and the best portrayals of such characters is when they mix the two elements together well.

Take my examples above. Aveline is one of the warriors of main character Hawke's group, and eventually becomes Guard-Captain of Kirkwall with your help. Despite this, she's quite lonely and yearns for a man to love her, but is painfully aware that she intimidates men with her looks. One of her companion quests has you helping her in wooing her fellow guardsman Donnic, whom she marries if you're successful. Seems pretty feminine to me and not exactly a man-hating feminist stereotype.

Jennifer Walters on the other hand, loves being the She-Hulk in contrast to her cousin, Bruce Banner, who hated becoming the Hulk. And who wouldn't love the fact being a super strong and sexy 7-foot tall green amazon? Plus, she gets plenty of chances to sleep around with guys, including a Greek demi-god. Again, seems plenty feminine to me.

3108c0f5f51738636353169c094445d8.jpg

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Very muscular man were also/often considered a rarity/joke before the 1960's. Body cult has changed.

Women built like men are still mostly considered unattractive.
Street Fighter V got it right: they're muscular, but the feminine traits are also exaggerated, and the upper torso is noticeably smaller.
It'll take thousands of years for men to find Abby's body type "sexy".

Last edited:

KiteGr

That's not exactly true. Muscular women in fiction still have feminine mannerisms and desires, and the best portrayals of such characters is when they mix the two elements together well.

Take my examples above. Aveline is one of the warriors of main character Hawke's group, and eventually becomes Guard-Captain of Kirkwall with your help. Despite this, she's quite lonely and yearns for a man to love her, but is painfully aware that she intimidates men with her looks. One of her companion quests has you helping her in wooing her fellow guardsman Donnic, whom she marries if you're successful. Seems pretty feminine to me and not exactly a man-hating feminist stereotype.

Bioware where famous SJW even before it was cool. They where after all one of the few who allowed protagonists to have homosexual romance between characters and depicted it seriously.
Jennifer Walters on the other hand, loves being the She-Hulk in contrast to her cousin, Bruce Banner, who hated becoming the Hulk. And who wouldn't love the fact being a super strong and sexy 7-foot tall green amazon? Plus, she gets plenty of chances to sleep around with guys, including a Greek demi-god. Again, seems plenty feminine to me.

3108c0f5f51738636353169c094445d8.jpg
She-Hulk on the other hand didn't begin like the character she is today. Her current image was pretty much an accident, as the character was created exclusively to avoid a potential licence loss AND NO OTHER REASON! Upon Marvel realizing they might have a feminist icon on their hand (they became rather sensitive after the rape of miss Marvel 5 years ago after all), and after a few writers who managed to be woke and smart at the same time, only then she reached her current status.

Even with the above, she's curiously allowed to keep her sexuality , unlike her male counterpart that becomes as dumb blob of muscle and rage. So rather than becoming an inhuman monster, she becomes a different fetish.
Lets not forget that despite all the above better traits, she's still not considered nearly as popular as her male counterpart. Hulk is now a staple of the Cinematic universe, while She-hulk was only considered as a Netflix adaptation at some point, and they didn't even go through with that.

The Strong Female hero is mostly a recent thing, that has been done mostly as a PR stunt, as those movies don't seem to sell (or be) as good. The only two movies like that that sold decently are Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel, and both did because they had huge support from the cinematic continuity.

But we are getting off-topic...
Where where we?
Oh, yes! Muscular female game characters!
barbarian_by_mr__jack_d1yd0dn-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

Self

Women built like men are still mostly considered unattractive.

What I am saying is that very muscular man were also/often considered ugly/stupid/rare/fetish before the 60's.

Hanfred Bogart was considerd a real man. Things have changed and may keep changing.

But yes, I like the SFV design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom