• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Struggling this holiday season

Catphish

Covid is getting to me.
The political and social insanity is getting to me.
But more than anything, I'm really struggling with missing the important people in my life who have died.

I had 5 key people in my life growing up; my mom, stepdad, grandmother, great aunt, and great uncle. I lost my uncle in '86, my aunt in '10, my mom in '15, and my stepdad and grandmother last year. As long as I had the rest of them, I could deal with the loss of the others. But now there's just this gaping fucking void that cannot be filled.

I have a young daughter who I'm desperately trying to keep a happy face on for, but inside, I'm falling apart. We put up a Christmas tree tonight while listening to Christmas music, and it was everything I could do to not bawl my eyes out in front of her. Every goddamned song reminded me of them. Some I had to skip entirely, make an excuse to leave the room, and cry.

Fuck. :(

Sorry for the downer. I can't tell them, so I guess I'll tell you.

teezzy

Banned
We're all going through it man, in one way or another.

I live alone and have been WFH since March and will be doing so until June at minimum.

My mom passed weeks ago after months of tending to her and watching the life slowly drain from her.

It's been rough to say the least.

Focus on yourself. Improvement is key. Positive actions like diet, exercise, new hobbies; even cleaning house.

Most importantly - treat yourself. I had two pizzas this weekend after months of strict diet and exercise.

It was awesome. Then I ate Swedish Fish as I watched the Tyson fight.

Find enjoyment where you can. You're not alone if we're all going through it together.

If not for you, do it for your daughter dude. She needs you now more than ever. You've got this.

Last edited:

Catphish

We're all going through it man, in one way or another.

I live alone and have been WFH since March and will be doing so until June at minimum.

My mom passed weeks ago after months of tending to her and watching the life slowly drain from her.

It's been rough to say the least.

Focus on yourself. Improvement is key. Positive actions like diet, exercise, new hobbies; even cleaning house.

Most importantly - treat yourself. I had two pizzas this weekend after months of strict diet and exercise.

It was awesome. Then I ate Swedish Fish as I watched the Tyson fight.

Find enjoyment where you can. You're not alone if we're all going through it together.

If not for you, do it for your daughter dude. She needs you now more than ever. You've got this.
Thank you for that reply. Really sorry about your mom. But I appreciate you talking about her.

❤️

Christmas is like that a lot for me as well in that I start remembering all of the people that I used to enjoy Christmas with and that are no more.
I think it's okay to be sad and missing these people, just don't let it consume you.

You have a child for whom you are that person now she is enjoying and will be remembering forever how great the time was she spent with you on Christmas and other times... : )

Elcid

Banned
My key person was my grandmother I lost last year. My mother gave us a scare with cancer this year. Life is rough in that but you can’t dwell on people when they’re gone, dwell on the memories and the lessons they left you with. Those people loved you and now you get to pass on that same thing to your daughter and other children if they ever come. It’s the circle of life bro. And hey, it’s okay for men to cry, just let it out. But it’s also okay for us to call you a bitch for admitting to it.

eMPOK

September, October, November, are my triggers, all I can recommend is sleep. Sleep as much as you can. It is theruptic and will get you away from your troubles. Dont do anything stupid of course, maybe a glass of something to assist, or see a therapist for medication, but I can't recommend sleep enough. Hang in there!

I'm in a similar situation I guess. Both me and my wife lost our fathers this year, and we had to put down our dog in september. Haven't seen my mother and brothers in ages. Last week it all started feeling hopeless, like nothing is fun anymore. I'm lucky though that I have a wife who's super supportive.
Best of luck to you and your family. Take care of each other!
September, October, November, are my triggers, all I can recommend is sleep. Sleep as much as you can. It is theruptic and will get you away from your troubles. Dont do anything stupid of course, maybe a glass of something to assist, or see a therapist for medication, but I can't recommend sleep enough. Hang in there!
You're absolutely right. It got much worse for me when I started staying up longer.

Davey Cakes

I hear you. My father died unexpectedly in 2013. My only remaining grandparent died in 2019. The rest of my family broke apart and stopped keeping up with the traditions that defined my younger years. Perhaps it's just a part of getting older, which is why I try to warn people about their late 20's. Shit changes, and loss becomes more and more prevalent over time.

The pandemic plus the other events of this year really messed with my plans. I thought 2020 would be a turnaround year. Lol. Right now, my mother is still in the deep depression cycle of her bipolar. My brother has cabin fever. I had to put one of my cats down in September, which broke me. But, the world keeps turning.

Just have to stay strong and keep on the path forward. Nothing good lasts forever, as they say.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Covid is in the headlines because everyone cares about beating the virus, I don’t think you’re in such a bad situation as you think and honestly I see OP doing well

Same.

I even stayed off all social media (including here) for almost a month. Well that and my phone was shut off for about a week.

Sorry to hear what's happening and it sucks people in high places are only making it worse for us.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Have you built a gingerbread house this year? Walmart sells a Nintendo Mario themed gingerbread house for around $12. It’s something you could do together. That and an advent calendar. I sometimes miss my family, but I also remember that I’m helping build the memories for my children. The only family I see are my in-laws. While that’s a blessing, I’m also reminded that I don’t have a very supportive family from my side.

notseqi

I had no deaths but I'm at a low. It's not a problem for me, I am fine, but I am feeling for so many people around me, and you guys, who are feeling the same.

My fwb is 800km from me with no way of returning at the moment. Gyms are closed. Bars are closed.

I am cry.

I even stayed off all social media (including here) for almost a month. Well that and my phone was shut off for about a week.
Missed you, man.

Barnabot

just tell them. your family is the most important thing you may have. they don't need see you on happy faces all the time. seek comfort with them. I think they can help to heal you.

Top Bottom