• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in Silent Hill 4...anyone else have it yet?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm currently lost as to what to do in the second world. Any clue as to what I need to do with
the spade
?

It's weird playing a fogless SH game, BTW. :)

There is a tree with a hand coming out of the ground near it, use it there and Henry will dig around for a bit and then find a key .

I also got it today, and am finding it quite wierd ... but in a good way . The whole
voyeur
thing is great and the enviroments are pretty surreal, things just don't make any sense and thats a good thing I feel . The game also makes you really feel like you are trapped what not
with people visiting you, and Henry banging on the door trying to get their attention .

Lyte Edge

Thanks; ended up finding where to use it right after posting that message. :)

Now I'm stuck in Prison World.
I talked the to older man once the cell opened, but don't know what to do with lining up the cells properly. I'm stuck!

Oh, and here's what I think is going to happen at the end of the game and what's really going on:
Henry has been dead and is a ghost; he's the last of Walter's victims. WHY he's able to go between "worlds" and see the others dying, I have no clue, though. I also wish the game showed more on WHY people were where they were found...why is that old man in the prison alone, anyway?

Hope to have this game finished eiither tomorrow night or by Sunday. :D

Lyte Edge

Past the prison...now I'm stuck at what I assume is the end of the next world.
What do I do with the doll in the apartment world? It seems to be all I have left; been in every room in the apartment building at least TWICE now looking for anything I've missed.

SolidSnakex said:
Give some impressions people! :)

It rocks, but feels a bit different than past titles, since everything is broken up into smaller worlds. Puzzles are easier, and I have yet to encounter one boss, so it's feeling a little easy to me (playing on normal).

I just figured I'd write a review when I beat it instead of impressions, though. I also got a hold of Spider-Man 2 early (same guy who sold back Psi-Ops early to my store...teh thief!) and want to write a little on that as well.

Lyte Edge said:
It rocks, but feels a bit different than past titles, since everything is broken up into smaller worlds. Puzzles are easier, and I have yet to encounter one boss, so it's feeling a little easy to me (playing on normal).

Sounding great so far. Since you're going to write a review i'll just ask 2 quick questions, what's your fav SH and how's SH4 comparing to it right now?

Lyte Edge

SolidSnakex said:
Sounding great so far. Since you're going to write a review i'll just ask 2 quick questions, what's your fav SH and how's SH4 comparing to it right now?

I really can't answer that until I'm done with this game. ;)

Lyte Edge

Stuck no longer. For anyone else that gets stuck in the apartment world,
be sure to check the fridge in room 102.

I get the feeling I'm almost at the end of the game now. The story also seems to have taken a slight twist.

Ok this game has taken a major turn for the worse
I do not enjoy going through the same enviroments AGAIN . I have a feeling I'm going to have to go through them ALL just to see WTF happens ... annoying gameply mechanic I hate with a passion .

With that said, I am stuck and need some help :

I am in the secound round of the Subway, and I have Cynthia King Street Cummunter ticket, but I can't find the damn handle to operate the subway train . There is also some wierd box with "10008" on it but I can't figure out how to open it. I did see the Vending machine with "18" on it, wtf that mean ?

Thanks much for any help !

maskrider

That's not what you think.

Did you get the toy key ? The box with 1000 (SB) contains something that you need, open it with the toy key and you will know how to proceed.

Thanks for the help Felix, 'preciate it .

I am really starting to not like this game . The first half was so promising, and surreal which I was enjoying tremendously . Now, I feel like I am getting half a game for what bullshit they pulled . Its tedious, not any fun, and the only reason I am wanting to continue is to find out what happens next . If you were hoping for more exploration like in SH2 like me ... You're not going to get it if the current situation continues in the game .

From what I read in the past, there would be about 10 enviroments in SH4, they didn't lie but they also didn't tell the whole truth ... UGH .

The story IS good however, better than the by the book one in SH3 ... still at this point in the game, for me it doesn't make up for the above complaints .

maskrider

MentalNoiz said:
Thanks for the help Felix, 'preciate it .

I am really starting to not like this game . The first half was so promising, and surreal which I was enjoying tremendously . Now, I feel like I am getting half a game for what bullshit they pulled . Its tedious, not any fun, and the only reason I am wanting to continue is to find out what happens next . If you were hoping for more exploration like in SH2 like me ... You're not going to get it if the current situation continues in the game .

From what I read in the past, there would be about 10 enviroments in SH4, they didn't lie but they also didn't tell the whole truth ... UGH .

The story IS good however, better than the by the book one in SH3 ... still at this point in the game, for me it doesn't make up for the above complaints .

Heh ! Yeah, I am also disappointed by that, and it seems to be intended with their story.

Finished it already ? I will probably not be able to read your reply until tomorrow as I hadn't sleep the whole night playing it, it is 7:17AM here in Hong Kong. I watched 2 endings already.

Later.

Lyte Edge

I'm also now in the second half of the game, and while I was initially disappointed with having to basically backtrack through the ENTIRE first area all over again, the second area didn't seem as bad for some reason, even though you have to do the same thing. I've also found the second half much harder than the first; there were times where I had no health drinks left and was getting really screwed.
Also unable to heal now in the apartment...is this supposed to happen?
And
Walter,
AKA "RE3: Nemesis," is getting really annoying. I am definitely let down by the rehash of having to go through everything all over again, but it's still a fun title. :)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I couldn't stand SH3. Thought the game was COMPLETE garbage.

The removal of the fog and pitch black environs in this sounds promising tho. The premise is actually interesting this time as well! Too bad all this talk of backpeddling may kill a potential sale.

Oh well, fuck this series...

Bebpo

Banned
hmm, so without spoilers is pretty much 50% of the game backtracking? If so is the game still worth the import price in your opinion.

Reason I'm asking is that UPS has lost my package as it seems and if they can't find it in a few days they'll probably refund NCS which will in turn either send another or refund me. So I can still bail out and get my money back and wait for the cheaper domestic version, or go ahead with the import. Just wondering if you guys think it's worth ~$75?

cuccoo

Man, that first person view is giving me headaches. Also, when in 3rd PV, does anyone notice that the characters are not properly grounded? They appear floating. Really annoying, as if it's being made by amateurs.

I don't think its worth importing, unless you are a a big Silent Hill fan . As for 50% backtracking, I'd say that is true for the most part, maybe 45% .

I'm also stuck again :

What is the NEW number to Bar South Ashfield the second time around ? Also can Eileen's AI be any worse ? I've had to go in and out of doors just to get her to find where I am at . Also another wonderful bug, is sometimes my body gets sort of stuck onto those long haired ghosts, oy vey !

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out :) .

Very Very late in the game spoilers, do not highlight unless you are there :) :

I've been wondering something. When Henry finally opens his door, when it first opens in the cutscene, the outside wall you can see looks normal, but once he leaves the room its back to the alternate ? This all happens in a matter of a minute ? Its late so maybe I am not putting two and two together .. but ... Any thoughts on this ?

Lyte Edge

Brandon F said:

The removal of the fog and pitch black environs in this sounds promising tho. The premise is actually interesting this time as well! Too bad all this talk of backpeddling may kill a potential sale.

Oh well, fuck this series...

I liked SH3 a lot myself, but don't think that having to go through the game's worlds twice kills the game in any way. It's still awesome, and the second time through it is where things get challenging. It's sort of lame and cool at the same time. :)

Lyte Edge

Bebpo said:
hmm, so without spoilers is pretty much 50% of the game backtracking? If so is the game still worth the import price in your opinion

Import for sure if you're a big fan of the series. If not, save that $25 and wait until September.

I wouldn't call it "backtracking," since you're NOT going back in the same way you would other games. The game is divided up into smaller worlds, and after going through them initially, you go through them again. The second time through is more difficult and some things are different. It also doesn't feel quite as tedious to me now, since you have specific goals, a full map to check, and it becomes clear very early on what you need to do to clear the levels a second time. Not trying to defend this either though, as some parts are annoying, particularly when you have to "lug the 'baggage' around" and can't take shortcuts. I've found that leaving said "baggage" in a safe room and going off and doing other tasks worked great for some of the worlds.

Lyte Edge

evil ways said:
Hey big poppa, how about hearing some of that Spiderman 2 game eh?

Haven't played too much yet, but check the "Who's getting Spider-Man 2 thread."

cvxfreak

Brandon F said:

From a gameplay standpoint, it was the most polished and tweaked combat system pre-SH4. But everything else is fair game.

dream

Okay, I'm completely puzzled
in the second trip through Forest World. What am I supposed to do after I put the wheelchair doll back together and find the secret ritual room with the book that describes the 21 Sacraments?

maskrider

dream said:
Okay, I'm completely puzzled
in the second trip through Forest World. What am I supposed to do after I put the wheelchair doll back together and find the secret ritual room with the book that describes the 21 Sacraments?

I suppose you have been to the lake side and get an important thing there. If so, use that on the door in your current area to proceed.

Lyte Edge

dream, more specifically,
the upper left area on your map...remember how going there the first time through took you nowhere? Now it's opened up.

I'm now right at the end of the game...probably have a half hour left of play time. I took my time going through, and my clock's at over 10 hours now...

Solid

You beat it already?! Shit. I can't play SH games more then 1h before taking a 30 minute pause. The horror gets up my throat :p

dream

How far away from you am I, Lyte Edge? I'm trying to like this game but this
backtracking really sucks[/suck] especially having to
drag Eileen around when all she wants to do is stand there and whack ghosts with her riding crop.
Normally I'd just throw my hands up and quit but I really want to see how the story plays out.

maskrider

CVXFREAK said:
Nothing really, it's just amazing how you've only had the game for a few days but managed to memorize a lot of stuff. :)

I recorded the video for more than half of my gameplay, forgot to record the rest when the game is getting intensive and I was stuck for a while.

Lyte Edge

CVXFREAK said:
Nothing really, it's just amazing how you've only had the game for a few days but managed to memorize a lot of stuff. :)

You'd be surprised how many people seem to be getting stuck on the same few puzzles. :)

Lyte Edge

Just beat the game and got the "Escape" ending. :) I see the save file now reads "A Brand New Fear." Anything different when starting over?

cvxfreak

A Brand New Fear... nice name. I wish Next Fear from SH1 was in SH2 and SH3 in designation, but I'm glad SH4 has it.

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Import for sure if you're a big fan of the series. If not, save that $25 and wait until September.

I wouldn't call it "backtracking," since you're NOT going back in the same way you would other games. The game is divided up into smaller worlds, and after going through them initially, you go through them again. The second time through is more difficult and some things are different. It also doesn't feel quite as tedious to me now, since you have specific goals, a full map to check, and it becomes clear very early on what you need to do to clear the levels a second time. Not trying to defend this either though, as some parts are annoying, particularly when you have to "lug the 'baggage' around" and can't take shortcuts. I've found that leaving said "baggage" in a safe room and going off and doing other tasks worked great for some of the worlds.

Well UPS found my package at the last minute so I ended up getting mine today. I've just started the 3rd world and I was wondering something.

You said the game gets a lot harder on the 2nd run through of areas. I'm playing on normal and I'm already getting my ass kicked when surrounded by just a group of dogs. How hard is the 2nd runthrough? I want to be able to finish it ^^;; (note that I suck at all horror games).

Also how many worlds do you go through before the 2nd runthrough starts?

I love the story and the way it's presented so far. Can't wait to play more :)

Lyte Edge

dream said:
How far away from you am I, Lyte Edge? I'm trying to like this game but this
backtracking really sucks[/suck] especially having to
drag Eileen around when all she wants to do is stand there and whack ghosts with her riding crop.
Normally I'd just throw my hands up and quit but I really want to see how the story plays out.
You have to go through ALL the previous worlds,
except for the hospital, again, with Eileen. I found the hardest stage for me (as in where I took the most damage!) was the prison the second time. It also took forever having to walk with Eileen down the ramps since you can't use the ladders. So what worked for me was to "lock" her in one of the rooms on the third floor with a hole and jump down the hole, do everything, then go get her and finish the level. The apartment is the last "stage" and doesn't feel like a rehash; it has differences and is relatively short...it's the other three worlds that feel like they are dragging on too long.

Bebpo said:
Well UPS found my package at the last minute so I ended up getting mine today. I've just started the 3rd world and I was wondering something.

You said the game gets a lot harder on the 2nd run through of areas. I'm playing on normal and I'm already getting my ass kicked when surrounded by just a group of dogs. How hard is the 2nd runthrough? I want to be able to finish it ^^;; (note that I suck at all horror games).

Also how many worlds do you go through before the 2nd runthrough starts?

I love the story and the way it's presented so far. Can't wait to play more :)

There are four main worlds (Subway, Forest, Prison, Apartment) and one smaller world (You'll see) before the "second half" begins.

Are you using the steel pipe and using the X button to dodge when in combat mode? I find that running up to most enemies first and wacking away works great...I run like hell from ghosts, though. I had plenty of times where I had no health and no health drinks though, but managed to get through it all okay. The reason I say the second half is harder is due to
some of the new ghosts that pop up, plus you can no longer heal by going back to your room, AND you will get chased by a certain someone wielding a gun. FUN TIMES AHEAD!! :)
Save your ammo; you'll want it for the second half, especially the second gun you will find later on. Make sure you have at least a full round of the bullets for that gun saved for the last boss.

Oh, and when you get to the second half and
Eileen
is with you, make sure to avoid letting
her
take damage, since it affects what ending you get.

So is this game signficantly more difficult than previous SH's? I see people mentioning that they're running low on energy alot or just dying. I don't think i've ever really had those problems in previous ones. Did they up the difficulty that much?

Lyte Edge

SolidSnakex said:
So is this game signficantly more difficult than previous SH's? I see people mentioning that they're running low on energy alot or just dying. I don't think i've ever really had those problems in previous ones. Did they up the difficulty that much?

For me it's mainly because of the ghosts, who do damage just by being NEAR you for a short amount of time, and regular weapons do nothing to harm them. I made it a point to kill 95% of all the other enemies though, so that any backtracking to solve a puzzle would be a lot easier. You could still probably run past a good number of enemies without too much of a problem though.

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Are you using the steel pipe and using the X button to dodge when in combat mode? I find that running up to most enemies first and wacking away works great...I run like hell from ghosts, though. I had plenty of times where I had no health and no health drinks though, but managed to get through it all okay.

Yeah, I've just been using the steel pipe though I basically just run from all enemies and then just back to my apartment each time to heal every few rooms.

So you can't heal at your apartment in the 2nd half....I guess I will be having some problems there ^^;;

Well at least I'm stocking up on handgun ammo and life (haven't used a first aid spray or kit yet) so hopefully that'll help in part 2.

Top Bottom