Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Nov 26, 2006
17,210
0
0
#51
Fusebox said:
Nice deck Bish, I have an old wood housing quartz locked Yammy as well and the sound and build quality is seriously proper.
This one is a belt-drive. Had a few people over last weekend to listen to the In Rainbows discs and the wood chassis got a lot of compliments :)
 
Dec 30, 2004
4,940
0
0
#53
Man, I used to own a Linn LP12 turntable with a Kharma moving coil cartridge. I had a Counterpoint hybrid/tube preamp, David Berning tube amp, and Merlin speakers. I loved that setup, but in an irrational fit I sold it off to buy a Colnago frameset and new bike componentry. Wish I still had all that gear. Good vinyl sang through the Linn. I haven't really enjoyed music as much since. Like sit down and just listen in good old stereo.
 
Jun 6, 2004
5,282
0
0
www.warren-wilson.edu
#56
Mr. Banana Grabber said:
I didn't see "A Quick One While He's Away." I'm not a huge fan but I like that title track so I look for the LP any time I'm in a record store and I've never seen it. Is it especially rare?
It was called 'Happy Jack' in the US because the original title was too promiscuous, and I don't think it's really rare. There is a double LP with 'The Who Sell Out' that is pretty common.

If you're just concerned with listening, there is an awesome live recording of 'A Quick One' on 'The Kids Are Alright,' which I prefer to the original.
 
Oct 26, 2007
1,191
0
0
#57
BobbyRobby said:
It was called 'Happy Jack' in the US because the original title was too promiscuous, and I don't think it's really rare. There is a double LP with 'The Who Sell Out' that is pretty common.

If you're just concerned with listening, there is an awesome live recording of 'A Quick One' on 'The Kids Are Alright,' which I prefer to the original.
I only know the song from the Rushmore soundtrack but I believe I like the live recording better. What is the name of the live album?
 
Jun 7, 2004
6,227
0
0
36
#61
theBishop said:
I just got into vinyl a couple months ago.

Yamaha YP-B2


Its in surprisingly good shape considering its about 30 years old.

Here's some of my records:
Haha, I love that slipmat.

I have a couple of Technics 1210 and I bought an old Marantz stereo receiver a couple of months ago and some really old speakers. Just love them. Still haven't found a good spot for them in my new apartment so I'm stuck buying new records and listening to mp3s. :\
 
Feb 3, 2005
20,528
0
1,265
#62
I call her 'dusty'



The famous Technics (by panasonic) belt drive SL-23!

I did get this puppy for xmas though!



Yes that is right, my GF got me a USB turntable! :lol It has a built in pre-amp, digital coax, and yes USB output! This unholy marriage of digital and analog tech is baffling to say the least. The built in pre-amp is uninspiring and the digital coax sounds even worse! I may get better results hooked to my real phono stage but I don't have my hopes up. It does 78 rpm though which is nice for the HUGE stack of old showtunes and stuff I got for free at an old ladys estate sale.
 
Nov 12, 2007
119
0
0
#64
I'm looking to get into vinyl records soon but I'm kind of clueless as to all the components I need besides the turntable and speakers. Also where's the best place to buy a turntable? Is buying used a better idea over new?
 
Jun 7, 2004
1,892
0
0
#65
I buy a handful of new vinyl albums every year. All my old albums (beatles, beach boys, zeppelin, floyd, etc.) were given to me by my uncle when I was a teenager. I started buying vinyl on my own about a decade ago with Siamese Dream.

An album has to be damn good for me to get it on vinyl. My '07 vinyl list consists of Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog, Spoon - Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga, Feist - The Reminder, and The Shins - Wincing the Night Away.

I sold off all my CDs because I never had a reason to listen to them after they were ripped. If I'm going to own a physical copy of an album, might as well be vinyl.

I typed vinyl a lot in this post.
 
Mar 29, 2005
529
0
0
Lahndahn Tahn
#66
Until there's a decent mp3 turntable that can emulate scratching properly, and doesn't cost the earth, then I'm a vinyl fiend...

Even contemplating buying my own vinyl cutter so I can make my own scratch-able records of mp3 tunes etc. Costs a fortune though.

 

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Mar 3, 2007
7,282
0
0
#67
HokieJoe said:
Man, I used to own a Linn LP12 turntable with a Kharma moving coil cartridge. I had a Counterpoint hybrid/tube preamp, David Berning tube amp, and Merlin speakers. I loved that setup, but in an irrational fit I sold it off to buy a Colnago frameset and new bike componentry. Wish I still had all that gear. Good vinyl sang through the Linn. I haven't really enjoyed music as much since. Like sit down and just listen in good old stereo.

Even though I'm not a fan of suspended decks that would have sounded lovely. Shame you don't still have it.
 

VNZ

Member
Jun 11, 2004
1,364
0
0
lindecrantz.com
#70
Nathan Barley said:
Until there's a decent mp3 turntable that can emulate scratching properly, and doesn't cost the earth, then I'm a vinyl fiend...

Even contemplating buying my own vinyl cutter so I can make my own scratch-able records of mp3 tunes etc. Costs a fortune though.
Serato Scratch is awesome, really. I've converted almost fully to digital sources now.
 
Oct 26, 2007
1,191
0
0
#71
Lloyd Dobler said:
I'm looking to get into vinyl records soon but I'm kind of clueless as to all the components I need besides the turntable and speakers. Also where's the best place to buy a turntable? Is buying used a better idea over new?
You could probably get my entire collection (page 1) including the turntable for under $100 used at any record store. Just shop around used record stores and see if you can find a cheap turntable you like that will get you in to the hobby. If you like the sound and feel of analog then you can upgrade to some nicer tables and really start liking the sound of vinyl.
 
Jun 7, 2004
2,260
0
1,290
#73
This thread reminded me, I have an old vintage Thorens turntable in my closet...I should buy a pre-amp and connect it to my receiver sometime.

Now if I only had some vinyl to listen to...
 
#75
i have far too many commercial house and techno records from the late 80s that i've bought in charity shops (rhythim is rhythim/inner city/royal house/farley jackmaster funk).

lots of 7 inch, infact i have 3 copies of Can You Party? on 7 inch.

a lot of shitty synthpop too, human league/soft cell/berlin etc.

then i have some good detroit techno, some warp too, but mostly tresor/planet e/m_nus/kms/underground resistance.

oh and ofcourse some random commercial shit/madonna/prince. quite a bit of obscure italo disco too.

ohhh! last saturday i found 12 inch copy of whatcha gonna do with my lovin/inner city in a charity shop for 10p. opened the sleeve... some little kid had covered the record in glitter glue. i wanted to cry, the reese remix side was still okay but i just couldn't have it so i put it back. now that was hard! :(
 
Nov 26, 2006
17,210
0
0
#78
hey, since we have vinyl thread up, i have a question.

on page 1 you can see my deck. The tone arm is the "s" type. But i have the cartridge mounted straight. I've heard on an S-arm, the cartridge should be at a 20-degree angle so its hitting the grooves head-on. is this true? is there a good way to measure this, or should i eye-ball it?

also, when i first start a side, i get a regularly timed pop until the needle gets further in. is there a way to reduce this? I'm probably going to do some recording, and this is a noticeable blemish on otherwise great sound.
 

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Sep 20, 2004
7,267
0
0
San Francisco
www.capcomprotour.com
#82
theBishop said:
every. actually, it might only be happening on the lighter (under 180gram) records, i'm not sure. anyway, its not dust if that's what you're thinking.
well i was wondering because what you described sounds exactly like a scratched record.

Try adjusting the weight on your tone arm i guess... strange problem though, ive never run into it. maybe get some new stylus.
 
Oct 26, 2007
1,191
0
0
#83
Hey guys,

I thought this thread would be the best place to ask and I need advice on a new turntable. I'm in the market for a new turntable and I was wondering what you guys have and what you recommend. I don't need the best one right now but I would like to get a lot of mileage out of it. I would also like to be able to replace the cartridges and any other components should I want to upgrade or fix a broken component. My price range is $100-$125.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah, no usb. I just want stereo out over RCA. I also don't do any scratching or something. This player is just for listening to a few records here and there but good enough if I want to turn this into a serious hobby.
 
Feb 3, 2005
20,528
0
1,265
#84
Mr. Banana Grabber said:
Hey guys,

I thought this thread would be the best place to ask and I need advice on a new turntable. I'm in the market for a new turntable and I was wondering what you guys have and what you recommend. I don't need the best one right now but I would like to get a lot of mileage out of it. I would also like to be able to replace the cartridges and any other components should I want to upgrade or fix a broken component. My price range is $100-$125.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah, no usb. I just want stereo out over RCA. I also don't do any scratching or something. This player is just for listening to a few records here and there but good enough if I want to turn this into a serious hobby.
If you want a new one look at http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-PL990...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199948424&sr=1-6 keep in mind that the headshell and the stylus are probably going to be crap on a $100 turntable. I would recommend finding a used one at a pawn shop or a garage sale for $50 and spending $50 on a new cartridge. Keep in mind though that old turntables will need a phono amp. Newer ones have line level outs (built in pre-amps) but so far my experience with mine is that a real phono amp sounds WAY better.



So I hooked up my T.90 to the usb port. Kind of cool you can send audio both ways thru the USB. So you can hook a laptop up and it mixes that with the record output :lol Seems like a turntable more for DJs and not for home listening.
 
Sep 8, 2006
14,299
0
0
30
#85
All I really have on vinyl are the original Beatles/Stones/Who/Kinks. But listening to Abbey Road on vinyl is an amazing experience.
 
Oct 26, 2007
1,191
0
0
#86
Flo_Evans said:
If you want a new one look at http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-PL990...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199948424&sr=1-6 keep in mind that the headshell and the stylus are probably going to be crap on a $100 turntable. I would recommend finding a used one at a pawn shop or a garage sale for $50 and spending $50 on a new cartridge. Keep in mind though that old turntables will need a phono amp. Newer ones have line level outs (built in pre-amps) but so far my experience with mine is that a real phono amp sounds WAY better.



So I hooked up my T.90 to the usb port. Kind of cool you can send audio both ways thru the USB. So you can hook a laptop up and it mixes that with the record output :lol Seems like a turntable more for DJs and not for home listening.
The only record players I've had experience with had proprietary cartridges that aren't meant to be replaced. How can I tell if I can switch out the cartridge before I buy a used one?
 
Nov 26, 2006
17,210
0
0
#87
Mr. Banana Grabber said:
The only record players I've had experience with had proprietary cartridges that aren't meant to be replaced. How can I tell if I can switch out the cartridge before I buy a used one?
Take a look at the tone arm. on the end of the tone arm is a headshell which the stylus cartridge screws into. The headshell should be easily detachable from the tone arm. If it is not, don't buy it.
 
Oct 26, 2007
1,191
0
0
#88
theBishop said:
Take a look at the tone arm. on the end of the tone arm is a headshell which the stylus cartridge screws into. The headshell should be easily detachable from the tone arm. If it is not, don't buy it.
Ok, I think I have an idea what a headshell looks like since I've looked at them in record stores before.

As for maintaining records what do you guys do? I know I need to buy one of those little covers that's shaped like a record (and I have no problem spending $15 when Morrissey's sexy mug is on it like the one at my record shop) but what else do I need?
 
Feb 3, 2005
20,528
0
1,265
#89
Mr. Banana Grabber said:
Ok, I think I have an idea what a headshell looks like since I've looked at them in record stores before.

As for maintaining records what do you guys do? I know I need to buy one of those little covers that's shaped like a record (and I have no problem spending $15 when Morrissey's sexy mug is on it like the one at my record shop) but what else do I need?
you mean a slipmat? there are 2 kinds, the rubber ones and the felt. The felt ones are for scratching and queing up tracks while mixing. If you just want to play records all you need is a rubber one, but most people get a felt slipmat just because.

theBishop said:
hey, since we have vinyl thread up, i have a question.

on page 1 you can see my deck. The tone arm is the "s" type. But i have the cartridge mounted straight. I've heard on an S-arm, the cartridge should be at a 20-degree angle so its hitting the grooves head-on. is this true? is there a good way to measure this, or should i eye-ball it?

also, when i first start a side, i get a regularly timed pop until the needle gets further in. is there a way to reduce this? I'm probably going to do some recording, and this is a noticeable blemish on otherwise great sound.
My first guess would be your tracking weight is too low and the needle is bouncing around.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm < super high technical "beginners" guide to needle setup.
 
Oct 26, 2007
1,191
0
0
#90
Flo_Evans said:
you mean a slipmat? there are 2 kinds, the rubber ones and the felt. The felt ones are for scratching and queing up tracks while mixing. If you just want to play records all you need is a rubber one, but most people get a felt slipmat just because.
Oh, I thought they were meant to keep dust off the table (or whatever you call the place where you put the record as it spins) so your B side wouldn't get messed up as you play the A side.
 
Jun 8, 2004
12,202
1
0
37
twitter.com
#91
Here's my Turntable: Technics SL1200 mk2.My brother gave this to me a few years back.
He bought it in 1982 and it still works perfectly.



My cat was trying to scratch ( he swears)



I will post my records later today.
 
Nov 26, 2006
17,210
0
0
#92
Flo_Evans said:
you mean a slipmat? there are 2 kinds, the rubber ones and the felt. The felt ones are for scratching and queing up tracks while mixing. If you just want to play records all you need is a rubber one, but most people get a felt slipmat just because.



My first guess would be your tracking weight is too low and the needle is bouncing around.

http://www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm < super high technical "beginners" guide to needle setup.
I thought this too, the guide said it should be between 2-5, but i've heard higher weight will reduce the longevity of the disc, so i keep it around 2.
 

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Mar 3, 2007
7,282
0
0
#94
theBishop said:
Take a look at the tone arm. on the end of the tone arm is a headshell which the stylus cartridge screws into. The headshell should be easily detachable from the tone arm. If it is not, don't buy it.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to correct you there. What you meant to say is that if the cartridge is not detachable from the tonearm then stay away.

These days 99% of tonearms are rigid with a fixed head which is preferable as rigidity is increased and thus sound quality.
 
Feb 3, 2005
20,528
0
1,265
#95
theBishop said:
I thought this too, the guide said it should be between 2-5, but i've heard higher weight will reduce the longevity of the disc, so i keep it around 2.
The needle bouncing around is far worse for the record than the extra weight though.
 
Aug 22, 2005
14,207
0
1,175
52
www.tehbias.com
#96
Mainly because I had no other choice, but I was big into vinyl in my teenage years. Music was very important in my hippie household, so I had a very nice turntable, tube amp, headphones, etc. I miss that "warm" vinyl sound, and especially staring at record covers while listening on headphones.
 
#99
haunts said:
Whats the most anyone here has spent on a record? The most for me was 60 bucks.
Yeah I spent about the same, or even more I think. It was for a Daft Punk vs. Slum Village single. The story goes that Slum Village sampled an old Bangalter beat for one of their tracks. When Daft Punk found out, instead of suing or anything they asked Slum Village to remix a song of theirs (which turned out to be Aerodynamic).

Anyway I believe only 2000 copies were pressed. It's a really cool picture disc, with art of Daft Punk fighting Slum Village :lol

Other pricey vinyls were Daft Punk's Homework and Discovery. I never bothered buying Alive or Human After All.
 

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Sep 20, 2004
7,267
0
0
San Francisco
www.capcomprotour.com
Mr. Banana Grabber said:
What was it?
Well now that I think about it there were two i paid about 60 for..

Lovebeads - This is the Only Way (house track that goes "its a vibratory thang, its a vibratory thang". impossibly hard to find the orignal, the remixes are easy)



Jesper Dahlbäck - The Real Jazz (most bad ass tech house track ever. on Danny Tenaglias Global Underground Athens I think..)

I actually put the real jazz in a mix I made a while back..

http://www.ncrisan.com/music/soulsafari.zip

Its like 20 minutes in or something..

miyuru said:
Other pricey vinyls were Daft Punk's Homework and Discovery. I never bothered buying Alive or Human After All.
How much did you pay for Homework? I forgot how much I paid for mine but I think it was like 25 bucks or something. Ive played "Around the World" at parties more times than I can remember. I love that song. :lol