• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Latest pickups:
281rntg.jpg

The Killbots - The Killbots
Sooooo awesome (http://www.myspace.com/thekillbots)

20k3vy1.jpg

CocoRosie - The Adventures of Ghosthorse and Stillborn (<3)
Deep Purple - In Rock (rockkkkkk)
Radiohead - Jigsaw (bought it for the B-side, but videotape has strange jumps in intonation, the shop gave my money back and I could keep the record <3)
Sigur Ros - Hljómalind (<33333, and it includes the better version of staralfur)
Johnny Cash - At San Quentin (awesome, but way too short)

Midas

Winged Creature said:
What amp is that? Speakers with that or just headphones??

It's an old Marantz. Don't remember the name model name by heart. I use some speakers from the 70s, and headphones when I can't use the speakers, during night and stuff like that. :)

Jason said:
oooh, is that a 1210MK5? What cartridge do you have?

Me? Noooo. :(

It's just the standard MkII. But it's good enough for me. It's an Ortofon Concorde Scratch. I used to play around with my turntables but not anymore, so I think I should get one more designed for listening.

Flo_Evans

Fusebox said:
Mmm, Air on wax. That'd be sublime...

oh it is...:D listening to it now. Having only heard mp3s of theirs this is very nice.

The black keys is a little disappointing though, sounds like a bad pressing, or maybe I just need to get some cleaner for it. Needle was bouncing all over and one song was stuck in a loop :(

I need to get a new one, my Pioneer linear tracking turntable died a couple years ago. Completely bummed me out. I turned it on, it went about one rotation, I heard a griding noise and it stopped cold. :(

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
1zpmmgp.jpg

This was included on the single "Someone Great", love that track

29vgxzr.jpg

Got this for my birthday from a friend

e7hwz6.jpg

Loving this album, I kept the picture SFW. I like the fact that the record is white

2d84zer.jpg

Also like this one a lot, Aeroplane is a relatively new belgian artist

Midas

Kitsuné said:
e7hwz6.jpg

Loving this album, I kept the picture SFW. I like the fact that the record is white

There's a writer in a Swedish newspaper who's been trying to hype this guy as crazy, but I can't say that I get it. Maybe I should listen some more to it though?

Haven't been picking up any records lately, my mother got her 50 year birthday coming up so all money is going towards that, unfortunately.

Kitsuné

since when does a fox need an accent aigu?
Midas said:
There's a writer in a Swedish newspaper who's been trying to hype this guy as crazy, but I can't say that I get it. Maybe I should listen some more to it though?

You're not the only one, the Belgian press isn't too fond of it either, and most of my friends don't understand why I'm excited for France sending him to the eurovision song festival. It's not like the record had to grow on my either, I loved it from the first beat on.
Personal taste I guess?

Midas said:
It's an old Marantz. Don't remember the name model name by heart. I use some speakers from the 70s, and headphones when I can't use the speakers, during night and stuff like that. :)

Me? Noooo. :(

It's just the standard MkII. But it's good enough for me. It's an Ortofon Concorde Scratch. I used to play around with my turntables but not anymore, so I think I should get one more designed for listening.

those old marantz sound awesome better then alot of the stuff out today.

miyuru

Kitsuné said:
You're not the only one, the Belgian press isn't too fond of it either, and most of my friends don't understand why I'm excited for France sending him to the eurovision song festival. It's not like the record had to grow on my either, I loved it from the first beat on.
Personal taste I guess?

Yeah I was surprised to see they sent him for Eurovision.

I'm not a big fan at all, but I do have the Sexual Sportswear single on vinyl, the crystal one too! (see-through; I got it for the sebastiAn remix of course :p)

Midas

Winged Creature said:
those old marantz sound awesome better then alot of the stuff out today.

It's called Marantz SR140. I Googled it but couldn't find anything about it. Weird.

I did find some better pictures though;

bild

bild

dh8lsl.png

A few recent purchases: The Weakerthans - Reunion Tour, The Marked Men - Fix My Brain, and The Beatles - The Ballad of John and Yoko.

2n0jfm.png

Fix My Brain is on beautiful clear vinyl.

Jason

thomyorke.jpg

3 official and 1 unofficial Thom Yorke remixes. Grabbed the unofficial one since the b-side is Climbing Up The Walls. My first and probably last bootleg vinyl I will buy. :lol

fugimax

I've been using my dad's old belt-drive Pioneer turntable for a while now, but it needs some serious service as it can't keep speed.

Instead of getting it fixed, I'd like to invest in a new turntable. What's a good turntable I can plug a set of Shure headphones into and rock out?

Edit: My range is $200-$300 for the complete package (table, arm, cartridge, etc.)

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Orellio said:
200g wow, didn't even know such a thing existed.

Most audiophile releases are between 160-180g. America has some plants that can press at 200g whilst in some place in Europe it can go up to 220-230g.

Having said that, sometimes an original pressing that doesn't weigh much can sound better than its heavy remastered re-issue.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
fugimax said:
I've been using my dad's old belt-drive Pioneer turntable for a while now, but it needs some serious service as it can't keep speed.

Instead of getting it fixed, I'd like to invest in a new turntable. What's a good turntable I can plug a set of Shure headphones into and rock out?

Edit: My range is $200-$300 for the complete package (table, arm, cartridge, etc.)

Pro-Ject make the best budget decks around. Keep in mind you will still need to plug it into amp that has a phono-amp (an input that amplifies the tiny signal that the cartridge puts out) and a headphone out.

fugimax

Pro-Ject make the best budget decks around. Keep in mind you will still need to plug it into amp that has a phono-amp (an input that amplifies the tiny signal that the cartridge puts out) and a headphone out.
I see they have a table with a phono-amp built-in ... can I plug headphones into that, or do I still need an external amp?

Ideally I'd like a table that I can just jack right into with a good pair of headphones since that will be 99% of my listening.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
fugimax said:
I see they have a table with a phono-amp built-in ... can I plug headphones into that, or do I still need an external amp?

Ideally I'd like a table that I can just jack right into with a good pair of headphones since that will be 99% of my listening.

No, you still need a seperate amp. Even if you found an all-in-one i would avoid it at all cost as not only will the sound quality be horrific but it means you can't easily fix the unit should one aspect of it go wrong nor can you gradually up-grade to better gear as your funds increase.

I'd suggest the Pro-Ject deck with the in-built phonostage and a decent portable headphone amp.

Buying second hand might be a good bet considering your budget.

fugimax

As an update, I bought a Harmon-Kardon T60 off of craigslist for $180. Came with the original cartridge and a Grado GF3 (and a spare headshell). The guy was also selling some old amps, so I bought a Yamaha CA-600 for $50.

My next step is to get a decent pair of phono interconnects (the T60 has RCA jacks, so no tonarm mess required). Any recommendations ~$75 or less? Right now I'm using shitty L/R stereo plugs and getting quite a bit of hissing.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
fugimax said:
As an update, I bought a Harmon-Kardon T60 off of craigslist for $180. Came with the original cartridge and a Grado GF3 (and a spare headshell). The guy was also selling some old amps, so I bought a Yamaha CA-600 for $50.

My next step is to get a decent pair of phono interconnects (the T60 has RCA jacks, so no tonarm mess required). Any recommendations ~$75 or less? Right now I'm using shitty L/R stereo plugs and getting quite a bit of hissing.

DH Labs Silver Sonic BL1

DH Labs make the best value for money cable that I can think of. I use the speaker cable equivalent of the interconnect and have used it $50K rigs.

For a .50cm pair the price is $85.

i picked up a used Pioneer PL-112D it has an audio technica cartridge, but im gonna replace that with shure. Its a great sounding table, and built like a tank.

fugimax

Pics of my new setup (~$250):

20080322-IMG_6584.jpg

20080322-IMG_6601.jpg

20080322-IMG_6599.jpg

20080322-IMG_6583.jpg

20080322-IMG_6609.jpg

And the new vinyl I picked up to celebrate:

Tubular Bells ('73 original)
Thriller ('82 original)
NIN - Everyday is Exactly the Same [Single]
Gotan Project - Lunatico
Beck - Ghettochip malfunction, Gameboy/Homeboy, etc.
Smashing Pumpkins - That's the Way [Purple Translucent Vinyl Single]
LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (30th Annv. edition)

DH Labs Silver Sonic BL1
Maybe ... I can only find a $99 pair to buy here in the U.S. ... or am I missing something? Someone I know is looking to sell a pair of AudioQuest Copperheads for just $25 ... so I might grab those.

Can someone with more knowledge tell me why I'm getting bad sound fro my turntable? I'm pretty sure it's one of two things:

My preamp is shit.
My stylus is bad.

Lows and mids seem okay, but highs sound VERY "crackly". I'm worried of ruining my records each time I play them if it's the stylus. :(

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
blame space said:
2n0jfm.png

Fix My Brain is on beautiful clear vinyl.
This is a really really great album. That vinyl is gorgeous.

I just picked up Chocolate & Cheese and La Cucaracha by Ween on vinyl.

I need to get a copy of Lust, Lust, Lust by The Raveonettes on wax soon here.

Hey guys,

I got back from a trip to Tucson and anyone in the area should really check out PDQ records on the corner of Grant and Dodge. They claim to have about a quarter million records and right now everything under $50 is half off. They have the best organized 45's I've ever seen and they also carry tapes and laserdiscs and other cool gizmos. I'll post my haul and my receipt later but I had some questions about components first.

I'm looking to invest in my first good turntable and I was thinking about this one especially: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00012EYNG/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I believe it's gone on sale recently and it looks pretty good but I have some questions.

This has pre-amp output, can I turn that off and let the receiver do the work or is it better to leave both on or plug the turntable into another input?

Also, are all the components of this turntable high quality or would I want to replace the needle or something else right away?

One last question is what do I do with 45's? They have the big hole in the center and my turntable supports 45 rpm speeds but the pin is too small. Where can I get an adapter to play these?

Thanks in advance for all the help, happy listening.

Alright, here's the moneyshots I promised.

CIMG0290-1.jpg

These are the Bowie singles I picked up. I was a bit rushed when I bought them so I only had time to look at the Bowie.

Bowie - China Girl - "China Girl" and "Shake It"
Bowie - Let's Dance - "Let's Dance" and "Cat People"
Bowie - Up the Hill Backwards - "Up the Hill Backwards" and the instrumental version
Bowie - Fashion - "Fashion" and "Scream Like a Baby"
Bowie - Modern Love - "Modern Love" and the instrumental version
Bowie and Jagger - Dancing in the Street - "Dancing in the Street" and the instrumental version

And the two that I didn't post because they came in generic cases and not the picture cases like above.

The David Bowie 1979 remix of Space Oddity and Alabama song
"Ashes to Ashes" and "It's No Game (Part 1)"

CIMG0292-1.jpg

Here's everything I picked up on my trip.

Europe - The Final Countdown (2 copies)
Roxy Music - Avalon
The Rolling Stones - Aftermath
The Faces - Ohh La La
The Kinks - Misfits
The Kinks - One for the Road
The Beatles - Revolver
David Bowie - Station to Station
David Bowie - Lodger
CIMG0293-1.jpg

And then here's everything I picked up after my trip.

Paul Simon - Self Titled
The Violent Femmes - Self Titled
Cat Stevens - Matthew & Son

Oreoleo

Violent Femmes! Jealous! I got that CD in a Goodwill store for like 25 cents once. It has a crack on the outer edge of the CD so it can't play the last two tracks or so (Bonus tracks, so no biggie) but it's a pretty awesome album.

Orellio said:
Violent Femmes! Jealous! I got that CD in a Goodwill store for like 25 cents once. It has a crack on the outer edge of the CD so it can't play the last two tracks or so (Bonus tracks, so no biggie) but it's a pretty awesome album.

I looked on the back of this and noticed it had every Violent Femmes song that I like and I picked it up assuming it was a compilation or something. I looked it up later and realized that it just happened to be a very solid studio album. The vinyl doesn't have the bonus tracks either.

For anyone that's interested, Amazon now has a dedicated vinyl section. I don't know how long it's been there but I haven't heard much about it until I stumbled across it today. The prices are only like 5% off retail but the free shipping is nice.

http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_lin...TQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=371171501&pf_rd_i=5174

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I have to keep reminding myself to take pictures of my dad's record collection. However, a minority of it is 33s. He has gathered a ridiculous collection of old 78s from the turn of the century.

Hey there Violent Femmes Buddy.

0126c6c9.jpg

Chad and Jeremy - Yesterday's Gone
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes
David Bowie - Low
David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Trip 66 - I have no idea who they are but it was 99 cents for a colored 10 inch. They actually sound pretty good. You can't really tell from the picture but it's clear purple. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1AhAIQ-I8s

7c5799e6.jpg

Now my collection of Bowie studio albums is up to this. Pm me if you ever want to get rid of Any albums you don't see here that came out before 1983 or if you have any Bowie singles.

Top Bottom