• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

"Has XX items I want" is the worst/best bit of text on the internet

I've been slacking on music purchases for a few months, I need to try and improve on that
4VwJuLF.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
NoRéN;242111994 said:
Thank you.

Techwood Belt-Drive Semi Automatic Turntable
Model: T1815

This is gunna take some time. Your table is actually a Welton: Techwood T1815, you can buy replacement needles and carts for it here, but if it could accept modern stuff that would be great.

I'm still looking for a pdf of a manual of the brand in general, but it's tricky. If you feel brave try asking the guys at Steve Hoffman Forum. They can be persnickety, but extremely knowledgeable.

NoRéN

This is gunna take some time. Your table is actually a Welton: Techwood T1815, you can buy replacement needles and carts for it here, but if it could accept modern stuff that would be great.

I'm still looking for a pdf of a manual of the brand in general, but it's tricky. If you feel brave try asking the guys at Steve Hoffman Forum. They can be persnickety, but extremely knowledgeable.

Thank you! I was going crazy since I couldn't find anything on that brand.

If you can find a manual that would be great. Until then, thank you for the link.

edit: The link has a video!!!! OH MAN! Thank you so much!

NoRéN

I received the needle today. Thank you!

Now, what's a good place to look to start building a collection?
I have a few records, mostly local metal bands, so I have stuff to listen to for now. I'm looking to start off with some 70's stuff (Kc and the Sunshine Band, Chic, etc).

Is ebay or amazon a good place to look? I'm talking quality and price here. Anyone have any experience getting used records off of their?

I tried my local thrift shops and it's mostly big band orchestra/christmas/religious stuff.

wenis

Do you not have a small city nearby? I'm willing to bet there are a few record stores in your area or nearby that can accomodate your needs. If you starting buying used KC and the Sunshine band records online you'd be paying at least a 25% - 50% increase on what they're really worth with shipping and tax.

You can also check out used book stores and swap meets. Also keep an eye out for garage sales. I'd say look into those avenues first then if it's a real tough record to find or you want a nice quality pressing of something you know you like a lot check out discogs. It's also a good site to get an idea how common some records really are. Then go down the usual rabbit holes of Amazon, record label stores, bandcamp, Barnes and nobles, eBay.

NoRéN

Do you not have a small city nearby? I'm willing to bet there are a few record stores in your area or nearby that can accomodate your needs. If you starting buying used KC and the Sunshine band records online you'd be paying at least a 25% - 50% increase on what they're really worth with shipping and tax.

You can also check out used book stores and swap meets. Also keep an eye out for garage sales. I'd say look into those avenues first then if it's a real tough record to find or you want a nice quality pressing of something you know you like a lot check out discogs. It's also a good site to get an idea how common some records really are. Then go down the usual rabbit holes of Amazon, record label stores, bandcamp, Barnes and nobles, eBay.
Discogs: that's gonna be useful. Thank you!

I'm going to the movies tomorrow to a neighboring city and I think there's a few shops there that I can check out. The swap meet suggestion, thank you! I don't know why I didn't think of that.

123rl

Discogs is a minefield of luck and chance. I just got stung with a £15 Customs charge because the idiot seller marked up a record as $20 instead of $15. With postage, this pushed me over the limit. Asshole

But, he also mislabelled the record and gave me the box set coloured variant, instead of the regular black reissue. So, we’re about even altogether. I probably can’t sell it as the rare version but I have no intention of ever selling this record anyway

Hey everybody. Question for you all. I've only recently gotten into collecting vinyl, but have been a big fan of music for over 35 years. For the past 15 years or so, everything I've listened to has either been a CD in my car, a ripped CD in low quality, mp3 from someone else's ripped copy that I copied, or streaming. To sum it up, nothing of high quality.

I'm using an Audio-Technica LP 120 player which is connected to my Sony STR-DH770 receiver and some pretty decent Onkyo speakers (don't have the exact specs on me). I have a mix of mostly older well used records and a few newer ones. I'm wondering if things are off, or if this was the way it was supposed to be from the start. For example, I just bought the new OK Computer blue vinyl collection (amazing!). This is an album that I have listened to dozens of times. I know every single note, beat, whatever on it. It sounds completely different to me. Thom Yorke's voice sounds higher (I don't know if that's the right word), and it's a more soft sound I guess. On Airbag, when the base kicks in, it sounds nowhere near as full as it does on other devices. This is just one example. On a new copy of Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams, his voice and harmonica sound high as well.

I don't dislike this, it's just a different sound from what I'm used to. Is this what the "warm vinyl sound" is? I'm setting my receiver to direct so I don't add anything to the sound. Should I set it to something else? Thanks.

Spwn

Hey everybody. Question for you all. I've only recently gotten into collecting vinyl, but have been a big fan of music for over 35 years. For the past 15 years or so, everything I've listened to has either been a CD in my car, a ripped CD in low quality, mp3 from someone else's ripped copy that I copied, or streaming. To sum it up, nothing of high quality.

I'm using an Audio-Technica LP 120 player which is connected to my Sony STR-DH770 receiver and some pretty decent Onkyo speakers (don't have the exact specs on me). I have a mix of mostly older well used records and a few newer ones. I'm wondering if things are off, or if this was the way it was supposed to be from the start. For example, I just bought the new OK Computer blue vinyl collection (amazing!). This is an album that I have listened to dozens of times. I know every single note, beat, whatever on it. It sounds completely different to me. Thom Yorke's voice sounds higher (I don't know if that's the right word), and it's a more soft sound I guess. On Airbag, when the base kicks in, it sounds nowhere near as full as it does on other devices. This is just one example. On a new copy of Heartbreaker by Ryan Adams, his voice and harmonica sound high as well.

I don't dislike this, it's just a different sound from what I'm used to. Is this what the "warm vinyl sound" is? I'm setting my receiver to direct so I don't add anything to the sound. Should I set it to something else? Thanks.

Check the speed of your turntable. You can install an app and see whether the turntable spins at least close to the 33 1/3 rpm you want. I use this on Android

wenis

There's a few questions I have.

Is it a new turntable? You could check to make sure it is indeed spinning at 33rpm and 45rpm but if there's a fault in the table perhaps contact the manufacturer about it (I believe I read somewhere that there's a hiccup in the 120 in that there is a plastic clasp on the underside of the speed controller that can become dislodged from time to time).

Second, that new version of Ok Computer is also a fresh remaster. I haven't personally done an a/b test myself or even heard the remaster yet to say how anything has changed but that is the unfortunate side effect of remasters. Artists gain new perspective or want to correct "issues" they had with the original release. Good or bad there are changes.

Third, you may also want to check your wiring on the speakers as well as making sure your turntable is grounded. When I installed new speakers into my setup I screwed up the banana plugs the first time and didn't make full contact into the speaker ports. I'd recommend stripping fresh wire and applying banana plugs to all connection. Shouldn't cost you more than $25/$30 total and your set will sing beautifully.

Fourth, you mentioned having listened to a lot of subpar cd rips of albums for awhile. Do you think those rips could have colored your perception of the music and are searching for bits and bobs you've latched onto over the years but cannot find anymore on the vinyl release? A lot of modern engineering and mastering techniques from the 90's on has artificially boosted the volume and crushed out different frequencies causing us to perceive some music differently than the artist originally intended. Something to think about why a well known song may sound different than you remember. I still feel the same way going from Black Sabbath greatest hits set to listening to original pressings of the records and hearing audio engineers in the background or someone chewing gum in the left channel.

There's a few questions I have.

Is it a new turntable? You could check to make sure it is indeed spinning at 33rpm and 45rpm but if there's a fault in the table perhaps contact the manufacturer about it (I believe I read somewhere that there's a hiccup in the 120 in that there is a plastic clasp on the underside of the speed controller that can become dislodged from time to time).

Second, that new version of Ok Computer is also a fresh remaster. I haven't personally done an a/b test myself or even heard the remaster yet to say how anything has changed but that is the unfortunate side effect of remasters. Artists gain new perspective or want to correct "issues" they had with the original release. Good or bad there are changes.

Third, you may also want to check your wiring on the speakers as well as making sure your turntable is grounded. When I installed new speakers into my setup I screwed up the banana plugs the first time and didn't make full contact into the speaker ports. I'd recommend stripping fresh wire and applying banana plugs to all connection. Shouldn't cost you more than $25/$30 total and your set will sing beautifully.

Fourth, you mentioned having listened to a lot of subpar cd rips of albums for awhile. Do you think those rips could have colored your perception of the music and are searching for bits and bobs you've latched onto over the years but cannot find anymore on the vinyl release? A lot of modern engineering and mastering techniques from the 90's on has artificially boosted the volume and crushed out different frequencies causing us to perceive some music differently than the artist originally intended. Something to think about why a well known song may sound different than you remember. I still feel the same way going from Black Sabbath greatest hits set to listening to original pressings of the records and hearing audio engineers in the background or someone chewing gum in the left channel.

To answer your questions....

Yes it's new. I haven't done the RPM check yet. I will once I'm home tonight as well as the actual unit.

All of my wiring is good. Already have banana plugs.

I think (hoping there's nothing wrong with the unit) that this might be my "problem". When I say that things sound off, it might just be that I've been listening to poor versions of the songs and this is how it should sound. The bigger bass in Airbag may be due to my equalizer settings or other factors. I have an original copy of the Sgt Peppers album that my dad gave me which sounds completely different than my MP3 copy on my phone which sounds completely different than my remastered CD. I'm very happy with the sound I'm getting from my record player, just wanted to make sure that I'm not doing something to mess it up.

Thanks for the help.

LaneDS

Got an automated message from Discogs, as an update to what I wrote recently about thinking some dude was going to scam me:

We are contacting you to advise that a recent review of a seller you have a current order with, djkaree, indicates they are currently not able to fulfill marketplace orders, or may be engaged in marketplace fraud. This seller's account remains suspended from the marketplace indefinitely due to their activity.

Good to see they do that kind of notification though if I had paid, I would have been boned. Guess this is me providing a "no shit" kind of PSA for future potential buyers.

NoRéN

Thank you for the recommendations. I took some doing but I finally found the record store of my dreams.

I had almost given up after checking some local mom and pop shops. Terrible organization and overpriced. I check out a bookstore downtown since their used books are really well priced. Their vinyl was very over priced.

I decided to go to a smaller nearby city and I hit the jackpot. Awesome staff, excellent prices, free beer! I've bought about 25 records from them so far and I'm averaging $4/record so I can't complain. :)
Discogs is a minefield of luck and chance. I just got stung with a £15 Customs charge because the idiot seller marked up a record as $20 instead of $15. With postage, this pushed me over the limit. Asshole

But, he also mislabelled the record and gave me the box set coloured variant, instead of the regular black reissue. So, we’re about even altogether. I probably can’t sell it as the rare version but I have no intention of ever selling this record anyway
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind.

nBXZELL.png

Malevolent Creation (FL) - The Ten Commandments (Listenable 2017)
Malevolent Creation (FL) - Retribution (Listenable 2017)

I need to start decorating my walls with these bad boys.

I'm sure most here won't care, but Matchbox 20 seems to have confirmed there is a reissue of their first album coming to vinyl. They just kind of casually mentioned a contest where you can win a test pressing copy of it on their facebook page:

Can't find shit else about it. I've been waiting for this for a long time, though. I loved that album back in the day. It had a very limited release of some sort originally. Those copies go for hundreds of dollars and very rarely pop up.

Spwn

I'm looking into getting into vinyl. The OP recommends Orbit turntables, how does it compare to say this audio-technica:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GYTPB8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Don't get the LP60 as your first turntable. There are definitely worse ways to go, but it won't do your records any favors. You can't change the cartridge and it doesn't have an adjustable counter weight, which can result in it putting too much tracking force on your records and cause damage over time on the grooves.

I'm not familiar with Orbit, but have heard good things about it (considering the price). The only con you might find is that it doesn't have a preamp built-in, because this means you need to have a bit bigger budget unless your amp has a phono in. Integrated preamps are always shit, though, and I would've recommended against getting a player with a built-in preamp anyway - just pointing out the added cost in getting a player without one.

Dan-o

I have a Uturn Orbit. I like it. As far as starting out, it's a very good value. The only real hassle is switching between 45 and 33.3, but you get used to it. I'm a pro now. LOL.
Some folks don't like that it doesn't come with a cue lever. You can get one as an add-on, but I recommend using it without one when starting out... for no reason other than that not having it teaches you to be super gentle with the player and your records. :)

Seriously... I recommend it. It's probably one of the better entry-level turntables. Mine has the built-in pre-amp (It was an add-on). As Spwn said, built-in means it's not great, but for starting out on a budget, it gets the job done. You can always get a standalone pre-amp later, and just bypass the Orbit one. Something to consider.

Spwn

I have a Uturn Orbit. I like it. As far as starting out, it's a very good value. The only real hassle is switching between 45 and 33.3, but you get used to it.

Do you have to switch the belt position manually? That's how Rega RP1 works.

IronRinn

If anyone wanted missed out on the limited edition of the Akira soundtrack, Mondo will have some copies available tomorrow at 12pm CT.

(Just noticed the vinyl for the limited version is 30 grams lighter. Interesting!)

Dan-o

Do you have to switch the belt position manually? That's how Rega RP1 works.

Yup! I've gotten used to it, but it takes practice. Going from 33 to 45 is easy, as you can just pull the belt over to the next groove. But going back down from 45 to 33, 99% of the time, it comes off completely. Putting it back on is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. It's all a matter of using one finger to keep the platter in place as you gently pull the belt around it.

The alternative is using something like a Pro-ject Speed Box... but then you're just spending extra money for more convenience. Not something I'd recommend for someone just starting to get into this.

Don't get the LP60 as your first turntable. There are definitely worse ways to go, but it won't do your records any favors. You can't change the cartridge and it doesn't have an adjustable counter weight, which can result in it putting too much tracking force on your records and cause damage over time on the grooves.

I'm not familiar with Orbit, but have heard good things about it (considering the price). The only con you might find is that it doesn't have a preamp built-in, because this means you need to have a bit bigger budget unless your amp has a phono in. Integrated preamps are always shit, though, and I would've recommended against getting a player with a built-in preamp anyway - just pointing out the added cost in getting a player without one.

Thanks a bunch! I see what you're saying. It makes sense to spend a decent amount at first. Much better than feeling like I have to upgrade right away. I think I will look for a pre amp and see how much the whole thing will cost.

If anyone wanted missed out on the limited edition of the Akira soundtrack, Mondo will have some copies available tomorrow at 12pm CT.

(Just noticed the vinyl for the limited version is 30 grams lighter. Interesting!)

I was curious about that. Any reason for it. IIRC the limited multicolor releases on Data Discs have the same weight as the black ones.

NoRéN

I'm having the hardest time finding information on my player and want this thing playing as best as possible while ensuring I'm doing everything right. If I can post some photos can any of you give me a rundown of what everything does?

Welton(Weltron?) Techwood Belt-Drive Semi Automatic Turntable

NoRéN;244476669 said:
I'm having the hardest time finding information on my player and want this thing playing as best as possible while ensuring I'm doing everything right. If I can post some photos can any of you give me a rundown of what everything does?

Welton(Weltron?) Techwood Belt-Drive Semi Automatic Turntable
Might as well post a pic, but you might need to be more specific about what you're looking to understand.

Dan-o

I was curious about that. Any reason for it. IIRC the limited multicolor releases on Data Discs have the same weight as the black ones.

Lately, Data Discs has been doing lighter weight for their LEs, but 180g for the black or solid colors. Gunstar Heroes and Altered Beast are 140g for the LE. All previous LEs were 180g.

I think it comes down to a balance between quality and cost. Looking at a few random places, it seems pressing plants will charge a bit more just to have anything that's not a single color.

Spwn

Received the last year's reissue of Infectious Grooves' debut album and I just don't understand what they were thinking pressing it as a glow-in-the-dark vinyl. So much surface noise, even way more than on my Blade Runner RSD picture disc. Doesn't really bother me during the tracks, but you really can hear it between during the quiet parts.

Fantastic album, though, and I'm sad it isn't available digitally. Really great funk rock - kinda like Red Hot Chili Peppers meets Slash's guitar work. And one of the prime examples that Rob Trujillo's talent is wasted in Metallica.

Just listen to this!

akileese

If you're an Enter Shikari fan, their new album "The Spark" got announced this morning for release in September. They're also putting out a 12" mini album that has a lot of singles on it (radiate, redshift, rat race, supercharge, hoodwinker, paddington frisk). Considering how hard the rat race and paddington frisk singles are to find (and expensive if you do), this is a solid deal.

https://www.entershikari.com/products/live-slow-die-old-ep-12-vinyl

Whole album preorders are here (mint green variant limited to 1000). Most expensive bundle gets you everything together which, all things considered, isn't half bad value wise.

https://www.entershikari.com/store

Ghost in the Shell got an official vinyl release. Anyone pick it up? Worth the money if one has a boot?
http://wrwtfww.com/album/ghost-in-the-shell-original-soundtrack
Currently sold out but I am still seeing listing on other retailers...
BN - Special edition

Amoeba - standard edition

TurnTableLab - Special Edition

Amazon might have a few copies of it as well.

I got it from the original pressing, it's exquisite as a fan of the original movie.

I even played the "shelling" track over the ScarJo movie's sequence and it matched up pretty well, so there's that :)

Top Bottom