• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Dan-o

Ghost in the Shell got an official vinyl release. Anyone pick it up? Worth the money if one has a boot?
http://wrwtfww.com/album/ghost-in-the-shell-original-soundtrack
Currently sold out but I am still seeing listing on other retailers...
BN - Special edition

Amoeba - standard edition

TurnTableLab - Special Edition
Amazon might have a few copies of it as well.

Ordered from them; best price ($39.99) for the special edition, too.

Linius

Finally jumped on a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit. Should be arriving next week, can't wait to Finally play my records again.

123rl

After seeing him support Blink 182 last month, I've been listening to lots and lots of Frank Turner. I cant remember the last time I discovered new music and it resonated so loudly and was so relatable. I bought Love, Ire & Song and Sleep Is For The Week on vinyl and both sound amazing. I love every album, but these two may be my favourites. His vocals are so much clearer than what I heard on Spotify, and the drums and bass really shine through. Two stunning albums, and both with reference-grade vinyl pressings.

Dishwalla

Banned
Where is a good place to sell vinyl records? I have one of the original pressings of Guns n Roses' "Appetite for Destruction", you know the one with the alternate album art, was wondering a good place to sell it to. I have pictures of it stuck on Photobucket, may look at hosting them somewhere else and uploading them here tomorrow when I have time.

also have a copy of Paramore's Riot limited edition colored vinyl still sealed(like this one), was wondering what that was worth.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Where is a good place to sell vinyl records? I have one of the original pressings of Guns n Roses' "Appetite for Destruction", you know the one with the alternate album art, was wondering a good place to sell it to. I have pictures of it stuck on Photobucket, may look at hosting them somewhere else and uploading them here tomorrow when I have time.

also have a copy of Paramore's Riot limited edition colored vinyl still sealed(like this one), was wondering what that was worth.

discogs, ebay, private forums...

what are you looking for for that record? condition?

NoRéN

Hey, everyone.

Turntable mats and record cleaning brushes: Essential?

Any recommendations? If so, amazon would be preferred as i have a bunch of credit there.

NoRéN;245625222 said:
Hey, everyone.

Any recommendations? If so, amazon would be preferred as i have a bunch of credit there.

Mats? Get one that you like if you want to. Brushes? Get a carbon fibre brush (any of them).

wenis

NoRéN;245625222 said:
Hey, everyone.

Personally I've never trusted a carbon fiber brush. I really like the Mofi brush. I get that it doesn't clean the grooves but a carbon fiber brush isn't doing much either. I'd rather just not float a bunch of prickly carbon fibers over my record. If you want to actually clean your records, then clean the record in a distilled water bath and use a spin clean or a vacuum to finish the job.

I'd steer clear of felt mats. They're good for DJ'ing and such but they build up a lot of static over time. Invest in a good cork mat. Amazon has them. It'll keep static from building on the mat itself as well as discharging from the record too.

Linius

Q7BuhiP.jpg

Have to say I'm quite happy with the sound of this table plugged directly into the phono input of my NAD C368. But I'm strongly considering the Pro-Ject Phonobox DS to really make it sing.

Have to say I'm quite happy with the sound of this table plugged directly into the phono input of my NAD C368. But I'm strongly considering the Pro-Ject Phonobox DS to really make it sing.

Nice you just need an acrylic platter (or a clamp if you already have one) and you're set!

Linius

This is the Esprit version, so it comes with the acrylic platter. And yeah, a clamp might be something to consider. Will try one at the store to see if I experience any differences.

123rl

Basically the same as mine aside from the belt mechanism (Project Essential 3A). Enjoy it. It’s an amazing machine

wenis

This is the Esprit version, so it comes with the acrylic platter. And yeah, a clamp might be something to consider. Will try one at the store to see if I experience any differences.

you don't need a mat with an acrylic platter.

Linius

you don't need a mat with an acrylic platter.

Still in the process of seeing if I like it better with or without. You don't really have to worry about scratching your records with an acrylic platter but some companies still recommend a mat. So it's mostly curiosity.

IronRinn

A replica of the discs that were sent on the Voyager probes is coming out:

Link

It's a bit pricey at $98 for just 3 LPs, but it is pretty unique. I can't decide if I want to pull the trigger on this one or not.
Doesn't seem to be any difference between this and the Kickstarter version they did.

wenis

I own a squeaky clean now. Highly recommended entry to the world of the vacuum vinyl cleaning method and the guy who makes them is great to work with. Even did me a solid and printed it up in Neon Green

img_67660nsdj.jpg

Squeaky Clean

It's legit already performing miracles. My copy of Salyer - Reign in Blood has a horrible skip in the second chorus of Angel of Death. I tried for a long time to get it out with a spin clean and a brush, never could. One spin through the SQ and it was gone. The vinyl looked brand new (minus general usage scratches since it was a used record of thirty years age) and played great all the way through.

I'm genuinely excited about this thing and went out and bought a couple dirty used records just to see what it could really do.

Highly recommended

NoRéN

I own a squeaky clean now. Highly recommended entry to the world of the vacuum vinyl cleaning method and the guy who makes them is great to work with. Even did me a solid and printed it up in Neon Green

img_67660nsdj.jpg

Squeaky Clean

It's legit already performing miracles. My copy of Salyer - Reign in Blood has a horrible skip in the second chorus of Angel of Death. I tried for a long time to get it out with a spin clean and a brush, never could. One spin through the SQ and it was gone. The vinyl looked brand new (minus general usage scratches since it was a used record of thirty years age) and played great all the way through.

I'm genuinely excited about this thing and went out and bought a couple dirty used records just to see what it could really do.

Highly recommended
Wtf holy shit dude wow!

You like slayer!? Also, how much is this gonna cost me?

wenis

NoRéN;246031162 said:
Wtf holy shit dude wow!

You like slayer!? Also, how much is this gonna cost me?

yea slayer is pretty dope. more about the early years since that's what I heard first, but I don't hate too much of their modern catalog. Never reached their peak 80's stuff, but still solid metal.

the whole set was $140 shipped from canada. I'd only advise buying it honestly when you hit triple figures in your record collection or if you see yourself being a fairly hardcore collector for years to come. I've been collecting for fifteen years now so it's about time I jumped on the RCM bandwagon. that's $140 for the set, maybe $30 for a 2HP shop vac (if you have one in that range already good, cost reduced, tho you probably won't want to go any higher than 4-5HP) and you'll need a record cleaning fluid. I'm using up the last of my Spin Clean fluid, but will be purchasing some enzyme based cleaner in the future that'll set me back $50. I wouldn't recommend the alcohol based cleaning method nick uses in the video as alcohol can strip away material from vinyl, but stuff from Mofi, Spin Clean or TTVJ is good stuff.

123rl

Huge news:

It’s been over a decade since their last record.

California rock band Tool are rereleasing all four of their studio albums, reports Consequence of Sound.

The news was revealed on Reddit by an industrious fan who emailed the band’s drummer Danny Carey to find out whether a Change.org petition would help bring Tool’s LPs back to vinyl.

“The petition won’t really matter. We are already in the process of remastering all of our albums for release on vinyl in the near future,” replied drummer Danny Carey.

Though Tool are reportedly working on their fifth studio album, the update will no doubt be welcome news to fans’ ears given that their last LP 10,000 Days was released in 2006.

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/tool-reissuing-albums-vinyl/

10,000 Days is still one of my favourite albums - ever. This is awesome news for me

Dan-o

Nice. I hope it's "soon."

10,000 Days never got an official vinyl release, right? Just bootlegs?

I have Opiate, Undertow, and Lateralus. I'd replace Lateralus in an instant (grumble... picture discs.. grumble) but the others are fine. Can't wait to have AEnima, though. Used copies of that one have absurd prices...

123rl

Nice. I hope it's "soon."

10,000 Days never got an official vinyl release, right? Just bootlegs?

I have Opiate, Undertow, and Lateralus. I'd replace Lateralus in an instant (grumble... picture discs.. grumble) but the others are fine. Can't wait to have AEnima, though. Used copies of that one have absurd prices...

True. No official release for 10,000 Days. It’s a shame as I think it’s their best album, or at least one of my favourites

Spwn

That's pretty cool. I may pick Lateralus when it comes – my bootleg copy is super shitty.

The one band I currently wish had their albums reissued is Type O Negative. The Roadrunner era albums (so everything but their last album) were reissued as a boxset for RSD 2013, but no reissues since then. I want Life Is Killing Me so bad.

I need the Tool stuff, especially Aenima.

There was a Lateralus £80 special edition in the shop the other day, but to be honest the CD I bought on release day had much more impressive packaging so there was no way I was going to pay that much.

Currently divided about the new QoTSA - the vinyl set looks really sweet, but the album itself isn't blowing me away.

Anyone here receive their NIN Not the Actual Events vinyl? I'm expecting something special after a ridiculous 8 month wait...

123rl

10,000 Days is THE album I want to hear on vinyl. I’ve got the (ok) CD somewhere but tbh I think I’ve lost it. I have it ripped to mp3, but I bet it’s only 160kb mp3 format and it’s really obvious in places. So, I’ve never heard it in an uncompressed format. I’m really hopeful that this lives up to my expectations.

wenis

NoRéN;246149084 said:
What am I missing here because this seems like a good deal.

NIN:
Pretty Hate Machine for $11 on amazon

That's not the remaster you want. It sounds like shit. You'd want to get the 2LP set on the NiN site. It's also like $30.

Discogs, Sucks having tracks split up over four sides, but barring paying the price of an original pressing (I recently bought one at $60) this is the one to get.

NoRéN

That's not the remaster you want. It sounds like shit. You'd want to get the 2LP set on the NiN site. It's also like $30.

Discogs, Sucks having tracks split up over four sides, but barring paying the price of an original pressing (I recently bought one at $60) this is the one to get.
Awesome! Thanks!

Now I just have to get that one along with Year Zero and With Teeth.

IronRinn

Anyone here receive their NIN Not the Actual Events vinyl? I'm expecting something special after a ridiculous 8 month wait...
Not yet but then again I am still waiting for replacements for the three albums I sent back to them almost a month ago, now. Sandbag is straight fucking garbage in regards to customer service.

123rl

A day after the news about Tool, Brand New just announced a new album and tour. Vinyl release is in November!

Brand New!!😮

Dan-o

A day after the news about Tool, Brand New just announced a new album and tour. Vinyl release is in November!

Brand New!!��

WHAT!!!!! How did I miss this? Finding now. NOW.
edit: are they trolling? The pre-order link is just a blank white page :(
edit2: the fuck? Sold out already? At least according to the replies. Ugh.

123rl

Hopefully it’s just the first run that’s sold out. Brand New do like to troll though it’s looking more and more likely that their time is up. They’ve been selling a “Brand New 2000 - 2018” shirt for about a year now

For anyone in the Boston area looking for a good shop, I went to Deep Thoughts JP in Jamaica Plain yesterday after work. The place is pretty small, but they cram a lot of records in there and have good prices.

I got a PiL record and a Midnight Oil record used for $2.50 each. The sleeves were a little scuffed, but both sound great. They have a lot of new stuff that is discounted to $5. I bought 5 records and only paid $20 total (2 used and 3 new).

I want to go back, I saw some cool stuff in their soundtracks section I want to get. A few Ennio Morricone soundtracks and some John Carpenter 12" singles.

Top Bottom