• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

The most I've ever paid for a record is a tie between Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation (super cool 4 LP anniversary version) and Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Both were $40.

Oreoleo

I guess my most expensive vinyl technically was $80 for In Rainbows cause I don't give a good god damn about the CD that came with the vinyl. Besides that, ~$40 for a peach-colored Siamese Dream (First vinyl ever) and IIRC ~$50 for The Frogs - It's Only Right and Natural. Also, $30 for the boxset of Daydream Nation (mentioned above) and another $30 for Dirty. All very much worth it!

Flo_Evans

In Rainbows for sure :lol

I am definitely going to start buying again now that I have a decent deck. I will post some of my collection tonight.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Heh, for most of my vinyl I managed to pay good prices for, even rare collectors items.

Probably the most I spent was $100 USD for the Metallica box-set that included their first four albums, the Jump in he Fire EP and Garage Days Re-Revisted all re-remasterd at Sterling Sound on 180g vinyl and limited to 5000 numbered copies.

It's worth at least double that now.

centracore

I just started collecting vinyl this past summer out of boredom (and because I love how it sounds). Don't have anything too 'great yet' - just a bunch of classic rock that I love listening too. One thing I really want is the vinyl release of Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium.

Flo_Evans

Some of my favorites. I went to the record store today and was pretty disappointed with their selection. Does anyone use a good online shop?

6tl0j2u.jpg

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
haunts said:
Whats the most anyone here has spent on a record? The most for me was 60 bucks.

I think I spent roughly $40 for Deja Vu, So Far Away, and 4 Way Street by CSN&Y, and that was the most I've spent at once.

miyuru

How much did you pay for Homework? I forgot how much I paid for mine but I think it was like 25 bucks or something. Ive played "Around the World" at parties more times than I can remember. I love that song. :lol

Nothing absurd, I think it was like $40? Keep in mind that this was this year and it was sealed too.

I'm scared to even play it hahaha, I dunno what my problem is. But yeah to be honest I listen to my vinyls but I don't mix with them (I mix digitally with a VCI-100 and Traktor). It's mostly because it's very frustrating after you've learned to beatmatch and so forth with one device, and then going to another and you can't even drop the track on cue!

I might try to learn it for kicks later though, vinyl is fun but yeah it's just that initial getting started that's very discouraging.

EDIT: I should've mentioned I have two decks (Stanton T.80s, I couldn't pass up both for $300 CDN).

Midas

Flo_Evans said:
Some of my favorites. I went to the record store today and was pretty disappointed with their selection. Does anyone use a good online shop?

6tl0j2u.jpg

Unkle!

As someone else said; eBay. You can basically get everything there at decent prices.

Whats the most anyone here has spent on a record? The most for me was 60 bucks.

I think I paid around $60 for a sealed copy of Big L - Lifestylez ov da poor and dangerous.

Larsen B

I paid $300 for a copy of Slay Tracks (1933 - 1969).

Slightly over the odds (I saw it a week after for about $100) but it's numbered like 60-something and I really wanted it.

I listen mostly to vinyl, too. I just prefer it to CDs.

I have a Technics-knock off from Lenco, but hey, it works and sounds great.

My Player:

2185683192_9b2cfba083.jpg

Albums:

2185683186_324a3625f1.jpg

Singles:

2185683198_a67029dc99.jpg

My most precious records:

2185683202_5f6da16a43.jpg

"Agnostic Front - Victim in Pain" with pink letters. Some people pay up to 250$ for it.

2185683206_fc6afcb689.jpg

2184902875_77503bb34e.jpg

The limited Single-collection of "The Locust"

A couple of my favorite ones:

2184902879_5cfdc1be1b.jpg

2184902885_ea80b0c1e9.jpg

2184902887_2587ebb484.jpg

2085572597_a3b1ddaf1a.jpg

2086356340_17ddf650c8.jpg

2085572801_9a3c4ae1c8.jpg

2085572905_d8751d8865.jpg

2085573025_bc398dd236.jpg

haunts

Bacon of Hope
FLOEVANS,

nice koma + bones record. :)

miyuru said:
Nothing absurd, I think it was like $40? Keep in mind that this was this year and it was sealed too.

I'm scared to even play it hahaha, I dunno what my problem is. But yeah to be honest I listen to my vinyls but I don't mix with them (I mix digitally with a VCI-100 and Traktor). It's mostly because it's very frustrating after you've learned to beatmatch and so forth with one device, and then going to another and you can't even drop the track on cue!

I might try to learn it for kicks later though, vinyl is fun but yeah it's just that initial getting started that's very discouraging.

EDIT: I should've mentioned I have two decks (Stanton T.80s, I couldn't pass up both for $300 CDN).

Cool, yeah. I have it framed on my wall. (Homework). :lol

What you might want to try is going to a record store and just buying like 7-10 used house records to practice with. Just do some mixing on some wax you dont really care about.

I need serato. :(

Flo_Evans

haunts said:
FLOEVANS,

nice koma + bones record. :)

I love breakbeat. I have a lot of TCR records singles and remixes.

I also got a hot tip from a local DJ about a good shop here. Supposedly one of the largest vinyl collections in the USA. I will take some pics if I go out there this weekend.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Flo_Evans said:
I love breakbeat. I have a lot of TCR records singles and remixes.

I also got a hot tip from a local DJ about a good shop here. Supposedly one of the largest vinyl collections in the USA. I will take some pics if I go out there this weekend.

cool, that record on the upper left hand side looks like a liquid funk track I bought a while back.. what label is that? the white and blue one..

i should get some rennie pilgrem, general midi etc on wax myself.. a couple buddies of mine were big time breakz djs and had all that shit.. i always leaned more twoards house but as ive gotten older ive def. acquired a taste for breaks.

Flo_Evans

haunts said:
cool, that record on the upper left hand side looks like a liquid funk track I bought a while back.. what label is that? the white and blue one..

i should get some rennie pilgrem, general midi etc on wax myself.. a couple buddies of mine were big time breakz djs and had all that shit.. i always leaned more twoards house but as ive gotten older ive def. acquired a taste for breaks.

breakbeat science. I think thats an illformants track.

Flo_Evans

So I went to that record store! I don't know if its the biggest in the USA but it's the most vinyl I have seen in one spot!

81yksv9.jpg
6kis6bl.jpg
86g9vkz.jpg

this represents roughly 1/10 of the store...

Unfortunately most of it was crusty old rock and country... large jazz and classic section. Rap and electronic? almost nil :lol

I am sure I could of dug out more with more time (I have to go back and spend a day there:D ) But I picked up some police, pet shop boys, creedence, metallica and pink floyd.

6t58h3c.jpg

Against Me! collection.

72jlncx.png

My RAR matches my DBTB, which is sort of cool, and I believe that's a first pressing of Cavalier Eternal.

And don't ever try to seriously collect this band, if you're a completionist. It's pretty much impossible at this point.

Flo_Evans said:
So I went to that record store! I don't know if its the biggest in the USA but it's the most vinyl I have seen in one spot!

81yksv9.jpg
6kis6bl.jpg
86g9vkz.jpg

this represents roughly 1/10 of the store...

Unfortunately most of it was crusty old rock and country... large jazz and classic section. Rap and electronic? almost nil :lol

I am sure I could of dug out more with more time (I have to go back and spend a day there:D ) But I picked up some police, pet shop boys, creedence, metallica and pink floyd.

6t58h3c.jpg

Oh shit..

I thing I could spend ages of time and thousands of money there..:lol

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I sold most of my records a long time ago and only kept my Metallica ones plus a few others.

My most prized album, Metallicas Garage Days Re-revisited 'The $5.98 EP', which I bought brand new in the late 80's. Was limited to 500,000 and apparently quite hard to find now. *edit* and there I see it in the post above me :lol

I sitll prefer vinyl, but the cost is quite high for them today, more so than CD's where ever Ive gone (new releases I mean). I love the crackling sound when the needle first goes on the record.

Oreoleo

Gen X said:
I sitll prefer vinyl, but the cost is quite high for them today, more so than CD's where ever Ive gone (new releases I mean). I love the crackling sound when the needle first goes on the record.

That's funny, in my experience vinyl is almost always cheaper than the CD equivalent for a new album.

Orellio said:
That's funny, in my experience vinyl is almost always cheaper than the CD equivalent for a new album.

It varies, really. I mean, when you get into double albums for relatively obscure stuff, most shops have no problem charging 25 bucks.

Oreoleo

Hm, yeah that's a good point; I was mostly considering single vinyl albums. That's also why I added the caveat of "new" albums. I have no doubt that on the whole, collecting vinyl is the more expensive hobby :D

thefit

Love vinyl I have a couple of boxes full myself. I mostly collect classic rock although I'm not above picking up some punk and other genres. All my vinyl gets played so you won't find much under plastic in my collection. My wife wonders why I have this old stuff around and I explained to her that a lot of this stuff was release pre-cassette and CD and so I find it fitting listening to the music I love in the way way it was originally intended.

My system is an 80's technics system with a remote controlled linear tracking turntable.

6odemnc.jpg

Mason

So I bought a record player and a set of speakers tonight from a local pawn shop. It's a Sony HP-310. After chatting with the guy for a bit, he ended up selling it all to me for $20 even though it was marked higher than that. Then I went to the record shop and bought 'Band of Horses - Everything All The Time' for my first record. :D

I got online just a minute ago, though, and looked up the HP-310 and the only thing I can find on it is this, where a guy says the tracking force is high and damages LPs. So now I'm scared to use it. Should I take it back and get a different one? They had a Bang and Olufsen model for $30 but it needs a new cartridge as well as an amp to function. I think it's one of these models. I have no idea how an amp functions in conjunction with a turntable or how to select an amp that will work with it. Also, how much are an amp and cartridge going to run me? It would be nice to have a B&O turntable, as I know they're extremely high quality, but the B&O name has me scared the cartridges are probably hard to find and expensive.

Raistlin

Flo_Evans said:

6tl0j2u.jpg

What's that one next to In Rainbows?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Mason said:
So I bought a record player and a set of speakers tonight from a local pawn shop. It's a Sony HP-310. After chatting with the guy for a bit, he ended up selling it all to me for $20 even though it was marked higher than that. Then I went to the record shop and bought 'Band of Horses - Everything All The Time' for my first record. :D

I got online just a minute ago, though, and looked up the HP-310 and the only thing I can find on it is this, where a guy says the tracking force is high and damages LPs. So now I'm scared to use it. Should I take it back and get a different one? They had a Bang and Olufsen model for $30 but it needs a new cartridge as well as an amp to function. I think it's one of these models. I have no idea how an amp functions in conjunction with a turntable or how to select an amp that will work with it. Also, how much are an amp and cartridge going to run me? It would be nice to have a B&O turntable, as I know they're extremely high quality, but the B&O name has me scared the cartridges are probably hard to find and expensive.

Any old B & O record player is a lemon as spare parts and cartridges do not exist in any shape or form.

Mason

Flo_Evans said:

6tl0j2u.jpg

How the hell does Speakerboxxx/The Love Below fit on a single record? The record I bought is ten tracks and there are only 5 on each side!

Also, how much do records run most of you guys? I think because I'm in a college town they're a bit pricier. I paid $14.99 for Everything All The Time (but it was 20% off so $12.xx)... We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank was $20. That seemed a tad steep to me. A few older albums were $40+... I saw one for $80 that had a sticker saying it was extremely rare or something.

Witchfinder General said:
Any old B & O record player is a lemon as spare parts and cartridges do not exist in any shape or form.

I thought B&O was known for their high quality...?

edit: After searching on eBay, it looks like WWDBTSES is a double LP, that's probably why it's $20. I'm gonna assume SB/TLB is too

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Mason said:
How the hell does Speakerboxxx/The Love Below fit on a single record? The record I bought is ten tracks and there are only 5 on each side!

Also, how much do records run most of you guys? I think because I'm in a college town they're a bit pricier. I paid $14.99 for Everything All The Time (but it was 20% off so $12.xx)... We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank was $20. That seemed a tad steep to me. A few older albums were $40+... I saw one for $80 that had a sticker saying it was extremely rare or something.

I thought B&O was known for their high quality...?

Most companies do not supply parts for producst that are 7 years old or more. B& O take it a step further by ensuring their products can generally only work with specific B & O parts which stops you from using other brands parts and thus leaving you screwed.

Mason

Flo_Evans said:
Its 4 records :lol

Yeah, I figured it probably had to be more than 2 even! How much did that cost?

edit: Listened through my first record. I love the way it sounds and the whole experience of placing the needle down, hearing the little pop, etc. I hope this wears off soon; I can really see myself getting addicted to this as a hobby... wonderful. I've been doing eBay searching and a lot of the stuff I want is fairly rare/expensive. :/

Figured I'd go ahead and post mine. I actually just got into vinyl a few years ago and bought a deck on ebay for about $100. I've been relatively pleased with it, but I think I need some nice vintage speakers or something to thoroughly enjoy it. It came with the original stylus, haven't had too many problems with it, but I have experienced some "pops" before like someone else was saying. I wanted a direct drive, because I didn't really know too much about belts at the time. For any veterans, is this a decent deck? I really want to have a nice setup to show off my records to friends and show them that vinyl is far better than any CD. Any suggestions? Oh, and pardon my dust...

Denon Quartz DP-23F
IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

My collection:
IMG_2341.jpg

Also, I was talking to my uncle the other day about his collection and he got really excited. I told him I could help him find a replacement stylus/needle for his table, but don't know too much about them. Can I just get a generic replacement, or do I have to get a specific one for the manufacturer? He's got a Bang and Olufsen Beogram 2400. Any thoughts would be much appreciated :D

Mason

GooseNeckn said:
Also, I was talking to my uncle the other day about his collection and he got really excited. I told him I could help him find a replacement stylus/needle for his table, but don't know too much about them. Can I just get a generic replacement, or do I have to get a specific one for the manufacturer? He's got a Bang and Olufsen Beogram 2400. Any thoughts would be much appreciated :D

Haha, look a few posts up. I just asked about B&O turntables.... apparently it's nearly impossible to find a replacement stylus for their products.

Just picked up one of those Harold and Maude sets. Not a bad deal for $30. What's cool is you can choose between about 5 or 6 different designs of the vinyl itself. I got this cool looking design with gold and blue splatter, pretty rad.

Flo_Evans

Mason said:
Yeah, I figured it probably had to be more than 2 even! How much did that cost?

I don't remember. I bought it new when it first came out. Probably $25?

I scored last night a got the beatles white album and magical mystery tour for FREE! Also some old billy joel and journey and a 45 of 'we are the world'! :D

Never hurts to ask around if anyone has any vinyl they want to get rid of.

Mason

Anyone have any tips for new vinyl owners? Like maintenance and such? When do I need to replace the cartridge/needle?

Also, I bought Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank and it skips in some places for some reason. What causes skipping and what can you do to fix it? I just read online someone said to put a penny on top of the stylus, which I did, and which seems to work because it hasn't skipped since, but I don't want to damage anything.

edit: Also, the Modest Mouse album doesn't seem to sound as good as the other one I have. It seems to have a bit of a crackle to it (like when you have the volume turned up too loud for the speakers you have, but I know that's not the case here). What causes that and is there any way to fix it?

Top Bottom