• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stuck in the Past - a 33 RPM thread for vinyl listeners and collectors

Flo_Evans

246p16e.jpg

just got this in the mail. $15 from amazon! not bad. Such a good fucking album.

Flo_Evans

Mason said:
Anyone have any tips for new vinyl owners? Like maintenance and such? When do I need to replace the cartridge/needle?

Also, I bought Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank and it skips in some places for some reason. What causes skipping and what can you do to fix it? I just read online someone said to put a penny on top of the stylus, which I did, and which seems to work because it hasn't skipped since, but I don't want to damage anything.

edit: Also, the Modest Mouse album doesn't seem to sound as good as the other one I have. It seems to have a bit of a crackle to it (like when you have the volume turned up too loud for the speakers you have, but I know that's not the case here). What causes that and is there any way to fix it?

it can be all sorts of things check the post I made about stylus setup, could also be that the vinyl is just scratched.

As for maintenance there are all sorts of vinyl cleaner kits you can get, most of mine are in fairly good condition so I just use a microfiber cloth to get the dust off before playing.

edit: may vinyl never die

rj44tj.jpg

the little books and shit are soooo much better than what you get with a cd... god bless people still releasing shit on wax!

Flo_Evans

Barkley's Justice said:
i said "fuck vinyl" about 2 or 3 years ago. honestly, with serato? who the fuck wants to lug records to gigs? i dont. fuck that shit.

weak. Who wants to hire a DJ that don't play records. pussy.

STG!

How did I miss this thread?

Mason said:
Anyone have any tips for new vinyl owners? Like maintenance and such?

Starting off, I'd go to some place like Guitar Center and buy a record cleaning kit (record cleaning fluid and a brush), as you'd be stunned how many records you purchase are filthy as hell. And you might find you can save a few records that way, as dust and other sediments seem to find a way to get stuck in the grooves. I store my records (just the vinyl themselves, not the outer sleeve) in anti-static poly inner sleeves, which can be purchased from a number of online stores. Also, keep your records vertically, to prevent them from warping.

Milk crates are great when you're starting off to keep your records in order, otherwise, check Ikea if you're looking for a bigger unit to store a massive collection (search for Expedit bookcases, perfect measurements for vinyl, which is what I use).

Those are some good ways to preserve your investment. Have fun with it. ;)

Mason

The records I bought are brand-new, though, so I wouldn't think it's a dust or heavy-use issue. The Modest Mouse album sounds significantly worse than the Band of Horses one. 0_o

Fusebox

Banned
Barkley's Justice said:
i said "fuck vinyl" about 2 or 3 years ago. honestly, with serato? who the fuck wants to lug records to gigs? i dont. fuck that shit.

Thread says for 'listeners and collectors' not disc-jockeys. ;)

Fusebox

Banned
Fusebox said:
I love rekkids....

2179510922_e28330017a.jpg

I just sold all this, I kept the cans and the monitors for producing, and I kept all my rare Australian hardcore, a few big classics and some choice freeform but the rest is GONE.

*sniff*

I may not have been spinning much on these days it but I'm gonna miss that setup. :(

STG!

Mason said:
The records I bought are brand-new, though, so I wouldn't think it's a dust or heavy-use issue. The Modest Mouse album sounds significantly worse than the Band of Horses one. 0_o

You're speaking of this record? http://www.discogs.com/release/964554

Hmm, could very well be a pressing issue. If you can, try playing the record on a different setup to see if it's your needle or not. Check the weights on your tonearm and make sure everything is set up correctly if your deck allows you to. Otherwise, I'd check with other owners of the record and see if they also are affected by a similar sounding playback.

I can't even tell you how many times I bought one record thinking I got a shit sounding copy, only to find out they were ALL like that. :(

Sorry to see you sell a majority of your collection Fusebox, I couldn't even imagine doing that (although I have purchased many a collection in the past). Hope it went to a good home.

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah, it's going to a fellow forum member at inthemix.com.au so I'm happy with the sale.

As for pressings, there's a huge difference between some of my own records. Some are almost too hot, with heaps of sibilance and gain, and some are too soft with no top-end at all. Usually the 45rpm 12"s are fine, sometimes too hot if anything, but it's always the 33rpm compilation records that are likely to sound soft and dull.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Barkley's Justice said:

Flo_Evans said:

You're both wrong.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out there's a relatively new record store downtown that has quite a bit of decent modern stuff. I picked up Guitar Romantic by Exploding Hearts and Pink Flag by Wire for like thirty bucks. I'm probably going to go pick up a couple more things soon. :)

STG!

Fusebox said:
Yeah, it's going to a fellow forum member at inthemix.com.au so I'm happy with the sale.

As for pressings, there's a huge difference between some of my own records. Some are almost too hot, with heaps of sibilance and gain, and some are too soft with no top-end at all. Usually the 45rpm 12"s are fine, sometimes too hot if anything, but it's always the 33rpm compilation records that are likely to sound soft and dull.

Cool man, good to hear!

Oh, the pressing differences (sound quality) between LP's or should I say, anything with more than roughly 10+ minutes of music per side of wax versus more DJ-friendly records cut @ 33 or 45 are huge. Many DJ's don't like mixing tunes on LP's for that reason alone (I know I'm not telling you anything new here, but for those that don't know :) ). Personally, I'm a guy who'd rather have the tune end up on vinyl versus any other medium (but I deal), so take that as you will.

My best guess with records that just sound like crap is that the master was cut like shit, or something happened between the master and the stamp copy that killed the final product. Or that the tune wasn't properly mastered before even going to cutting.

Got a couple of new 12" singles:

Hot Chip - Shake a fist limited promo
Hot Chip - My Piano
Phoenix - If I ever feel better
Kavinsky - Teddy-boy EP

2248143091_24505aeb1f_o.jpg

theBishop

Banned
The vinyl thread is back!

Here's some of my recent purchases:

Boris - Pink
kaiosg.jpg

- 2xLP, high quality hard cover

Ghostface Killah - Big Doe Rehab
vmqfyg.jpg

- 2xLP, thin cover, only 3-4 songs per side and a lot of blank space in the center (presumably for DJs), sheet contains production info and some pics, no lyrics

The Appleseed Cast - Low Level Owl Volume 1&2
34nqi4y.jpg

- 3xLP, medium thickness cover, each disc is a different color

Argyle

I just got back from a trip home to see my parents - I bought some vinyl at my high school's annual carnival ($.25 each, why not) - some of which I bought for the sheer cheese factor :)

I went through some of my old records that my parents are storing for me...I probably have around 1000 records or so, and I snagged a bunch of them to take home...mostly old industrial stuff, some of which might be rare-ish. Brought back a lot of memories :)

Now I have to clean up my turntables and get them working again. Anyone know if Radio Shack still sells Stanton styluses in their stores?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I love vinyl as well.

There's two main things I collect.

Anything Smiths/Morrissey.
Anything Factory Records.

Other than that, I get mostly 60s singles from unknown pop/groove/garage/girl groups.

joelseph

Flo_Evans said:

30 years ago vinyl was dead
25 years ago drum machines were not real instruments
20 years ago djing wasn't performing
15 years ago electronic music wasn't considered music
10 years ago real djs only used vinyl
5 years ago using computers was cheating
Right now anything is possible

theBishop

Banned
joelseph said:
30 years ago vinyl was dead
25 years ago drum machines were not real instruments
20 years ago djing wasn't performing
15 years ago electronic music wasn't considered music
10 years ago real djs only used vinyl
5 years ago using computers was cheating
Right now anything is possible

Yeah, but I would not pay a guy with a laptop to MC my party.

I'm planning my wedding right now, and I'll most likely cue up the music myself.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
theBishop said:
Yeah, but I would not pay a guy with a laptop to MC my party.

I'm planning my wedding right now, and I'll most likely cue up the music myself.
Same.

I frown when I see DJs with CDs or Macs.
I smile when they pull out the 12" and 45s.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Klaxon said:

Hot Chip - Shake a fist limited promo
Hot Chip - My Piano
Kavinsky - Teddy-boy EP

The Todd Edwards mix of "If I Ever Feel Better" is choice...

Well BobbyRobby, I finally got "The Kids are Alright" It turns out that the version of "A Quick One" on this album is different than the studio version and the version used in Rushmore.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
I'm between turntables right now, but, as an old coot, I've got hundreds of old LP's. Literally, like 900-1000 albums. I started buying them in the mid 70's (Queen-A Night at the Opera was my first) and I still have them all to this day. Digital music is so cold and distant sounding when put up against the warmth of analog. It's not even close as to which I prefer. I've also recently started buying albums at a couple of collector shops around me. I hope to end up with at least 3000 or so, because when I build a house in the next few years, I'm putting in a music/home theater/gaming room with sound insulation so I can totally escape the daily noise of living. I cannot wait...

Jason

bought some stuff yesterday. :)

1234.jpg

Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place 7"
Constantines - Hard Feelings 7"

feb3.jpg

Cat Power - Jukebox

feb04.jpg

Sandro Perri - Tiny Mirrors

Fusebox

Banned
Klaxon said:

Cool tune! Way old but still one of the 100 or so tracks I thought were worth keeping when I sold my decks.

I started collecting vinyl about a month ago, this is what I got in the last couple of weeks :)
20hrqiw.jpg

Rolling Stones - Stones Story
Beatles ft. Tony Sheridan - In the Beginning
Beatles - 1963-1970
Neil Young - Zuma
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin'
Neil Young - Harvest
Air - Pocket Symphony
David Bowie - Low
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong
Pink Floyd - dsotm
Arcade Fire - Funeral
White Stripes - Icky Thump

Icky Thump and Harvest sound AMAZING on vinyl compared to the CD.

Very nice pick ups.

I just found this article by the Times:

Vinyl Gets Its Groove Back

From college dorm rooms to high school sleepovers, an all-but-extinct music medium has been showing up lately. And we don't mean CDs. Vinyl records, especially the full-length LPs that helped define the golden era of rock in the 1960s and '70s, are suddenly cool again. Some of the new fans are baby boomers nostalgic for their youth. But to the surprise and delight of music executives, increasing numbers of the iPod generation are also purchasing turntables (or dusting off Dad's), buying long-playing vinyl records and giving them a spin.

Click for more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1702369,00.html

Unlimited4s said:
I started collecting vinyl about a month ago, this is what I got in the last couple of weeks :)
20hrqiw.jpg

Rolling Stones - Stones Story
Beatles ft. Tony Sheridan - In the Beginning
Beatles - 1963-1970
Neil Young - Zuma
Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin'
Neil Young - Harvest
Air - Pocket Symphony
David Bowie - Low
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Radiohead - I Might Be Wrong
Pink Floyd - dsotm
Arcade Fire - Funeral
White Stripes - Icky Thump

Icky Thump and Harvest sound AMAZING on vinyl compared to the CD.

The Beatles album wont sound better then its cd counterpart, if thats the recent release, all new Beatles are sourced from the same masters used for the cd, not the original analog tapes.

Winged Creature said:
The Beatles album wont sound better then its cd counterpart, if thats the recent release, all new Beatles are sourced from the same masters used for the cd, not the original analog tapes.
It's the original release from 1973 :).
Good to know though, as I planned to buy a few albums from them from my local shop. I will still buy them I guess, as they are cheaper then the cd albums.
All those old albums I have are made before cd's where around, except Dark side of the Moon, which still is an analog transfer iirc.

Jason

I've junked the thread with my animu. :lol

I ordered a bunch of Thom Yorke remix vinyls that should be here next week. The gold foil covers are sexy.

samratty

Some good finds going on in here
Here's a few snaps of my collection/studio/living room/hell hole: (Sorry bout the large size)

DSCN1698.JPG

DSCN1696.JPG

DSCN1878.JPG

DSCN1697.JPG

collection.JPG

collection2.JPG

Flo_Evans

Throw me the Statue - Moonbeams came in the mail today!

v2zhaa.jpg

cover is sort of NSFW... http://i30.tinypic.com/ern790.jpg

2 thumbs up on the album, they even included a code for the digital download for your ipod. Nice. It is weird though one record only has one side. I flipped it over and the needle just skated across the blank side. Never seen that before!

4na1k.jpg

Long live physical media!!

Top Bottom