• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Student Football players suspended for Thin Blue Line flag on 9/11

Oct 15, 2019
New York
So you can't even peacefully protest unless you're on the "correct" side then.
To be fair, the punishment is the part that makes civil disobedience powerful. If they got off with a slap on the wrist, it wouldn't carry the same weight. They knew what they were doing and are now accepting the consequence of those actions. As a result, they become a kind of martyr for the cause. Much more effective than a simple banner ever could be.

Last edited:

It's Jeff

Aug 28, 2015
Oi, this year is just exhausting with the bullshit already. Mighty Yog-Sothoth, may you bless us all in the year 2021 by kneading the retarded poison from the unfortunate ones that knowingly drank from its well.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
The next 20-40 years of counterculture will be conservative in nature and the arrogant lefties have no one but themselves to blame.

They excised icky religion from secular public life and squandered the opportunity by trying to insert their own religion (huge surprise!). Now the kids can be edgy simply by saying they believe in Jesus and want to get married before sex.

Oct 8, 2004
I have a sense that this fairly settled law, but can't quite be sure since school speech is more muddled than speech outside of a school setting. IANAL and it obviously depends on the details, but my sense is that they can suspend them from the team since it's a school sponsored extracurricular, but suspending them from school would have been a bridge too far.

Here's a quick summary of free speech in schools, my guess is that the school would use the "disruptive speech is not protected" reasoning to defend the suspension from the team.

what's that last black and gold flag ?
Probably the school's flag.

Last edited:

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
If the school/district has a strict zero tolerance for ANY political messages, then I am fine with this. If however they pick and choose which ones are "appropriate" they can get fucked by a rusty nail. Too many schools/universities are falling into the later. Protecting SOME speech and punishing other.

Boss Mog

Dec 12, 2013
If the school/district has a strict zero tolerance for ANY political messages, then I am fine with this. If however they pick and choose which ones are "appropriate" they can get fucked by a rusty nail. Too many schools/universities are falling into the later. Protecting SOME speech and punishing other.
Is supporting police and firefighters really a political message though? It seems to me everybody should no matter what political side they're on. Only arsonists and criminal scum should be anti-police and anti-firefighters.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
There is nothing political about supporting your first responders... the left is making it political with their constant attacks on them.

Right out of the commie/nazi playbooks.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Is it a political message to honor first responders that died in 9/11 on 9/11 though ?

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Is it a political message to honor first responders that died in 9/11 on 9/11 though ?
it is actually. A fairly innocuous one but still one. Just like breast cancer or autism awareness. It’s an individual stating their personal opinion on a cause or belief. And in this case using the platform provided by the school.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
it is actually. A fairly innocuous one but still one. Just like breast cancer or autism awareness. It’s an individual stating their personal opinion on a cause or belief. And in this case using the platform provided by the school.
I dont really consider cancer and autisim as political. Personal beliefs fine but political i dont know. Now if something like those pink ribbons donated to one political party then I could see its political.

If this was anyother day I would get it. But on 9/11 its just honoring people who tried to save lives.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Word salad. Stating a personal opinion is not political. Pineapples are gross on pizza! Oh no, my political belief on pizza toppings have been found out!

Reactions: jason10mm

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Word salad. Stating a personal opinion is not political. Pineapples are gross on pizza! Oh no, my political belief on pizza toppings have been found out!
I am just trying to be intellectually consistent. The message/opinion is not the issue it’s using the school’s provided platform to share your belief. Remember anything important enough to one person to use said platform to espouse there is a high likelihood that someone has a counter opinion. So again the school just needs to be consistent. If thin blue is not allowed, BLM or whatever should be equally banned.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
I am just trying to be intellectually consistent. The message/opinion is not the issue it’s using the school’s provided platform to share your belief. Remember anything important enough to one person to use said platform to espouse there is a high likelihood that someone has a counter opinion. So again the school just needs to be consistent. If thin blue is not allowed, BLM or whatever should be equally banned.
The American flag should be banned right? That'll make the school consistent.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
C’mon man! You and I know the difference there. But hey if you want to pick winners and losers cool. Don’t get mad when someone else does and you don’t agree.
No. You're moving the goal posts. There are no difference between the US flag and any other flag. Also, bullshit on being "intellectually consistent" when you have to belittle your opponent.

Last edited:
  • Empathy
Reactions: Arkam