• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Behind Phantom Dust Reboot Shuts Down, MS still working on it

Nibel

Independent development studio Darkside Games, which was working on the planned reboot of the cult classic Phantom Dust, shut down this afternoon in the wake of news that Microsoft had cancelled their version of the game, Kotaku has learned.

Microsoft, however, says they're still working on the upcoming Xbox One reboot.

"Microsoft partnered with Darkside Game Studios in the development of 'Phantom Dust,' but our working relationship has now ended," a Microsoft spokesperson said. "We have great respect for their studio and their work in the industry. While we do not have anything new to share on 'Phantom Dust' at this time, we can confirm that development of the title continues. We look forward to sharing more details on the game as we get closer to release."

More here at the source (Kotaku).

Pennywise

They shouldn't have revealed it so early from the beginning.

As long as they found another decent dev, everything is fine.

Interesting but also a strange situation. Perhaps they found someone they thought would do better with it, not happy with their work?

I can't say i'd ever heard of the studio though tbh, didn't even know they were working on it

SFenton

We didn't see anything from the game besides a CG trailer anyways. Could have been a mess.

Better this than a ridiculed release.

2thepoint

uh-oh-o.gif

chadskin

"The executives who saw it were impressed and as late as this morning gave our team every indication that the project was on solid ground," said one of those people, who requested anonymity while speaking with Kotaku because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the situation. "Yet we got the phone call today that someone up on high who in all likelihood wasn't even aware of the game in detail shut it down."

Damn. :/

Personally, I saw this coming.

IMO MS isn't really committed to 1st Party Development beyond Halo and a few others.

I wouldn't be surprised if Crackdown follows a similar path.

Freeman

Banned
They shouldn't have revealed it so early from the beginning.

As long as they found another decent dev, everything is fine.

They were smart to show what they had. Its another game on the horizon, better than nothing. It serves to gage how much interest the it in a game and to give it a chance to not be cancelled.

The prime example of this is TLG for Sony, it might lead to frustration but in the end it gives the game much more attention and possible more sales. If TLG was never shown it would have been cancelled by now.

"The executives who saw it were impressed and as late as this morning gave our team every indication that the project was on solid ground," said one of those people, who requested anonymity while speaking with Kotaku because they were not authorized to speak publicly on the situation. "Yet we got the phone call today that someone up on high who in all likelihood wasn't even aware of the game in detail shut it down."

If this is true, it speaks to some HUGE managerial problems.

GeoramA

That sucks. Wonder what happened? Wait...nevermind. I'd rather not hear another depressing behind-the-scenes game developer story.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
"Yet we got the phone call today that someone up on high who in all likelihood wasn't even aware of the game in detail shut it down."

Good ol' Microsoft. Talks the talk, then some random exec swings in and reminds everyone what a renowned clusterfuck the company is for project/team killing.

Ascenion

So probably not a 2016 title anymore. Well then. Hope all the devs land on their feet. Sad to see things like this happen.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Dang, what a blow. I guess they did only show that CG trailer. Sorry for those who are eagerly anticipating this one, but at least it's still coming.

Stare-Bear

Banned
what does this even mean?

That Microsoft doesn't have the luxury to close production on exclusive games. Its a stale year for Microsoft regarding 1st party games. (Halo 5 won't be out this year, I mean really). Then there's QB which we haven't seen much of.

Dang, what a blow. I guess they did only show that CG trailer. Sorry for those who are eagerly anticipating this one, but at least it's still coming.

I wouldn't necessarily count on it coming any longer.

I know they say it is and that Microsoft is doing it internally, but that sounds like the kind of thing you'd say just before quietly cancelling it.

Hasney

So if they're still working on it and taking it in house, it's at least a couple of years away.

On the plus side, there might be one or two price cuts before I want to get an XB1 by then, assuming it turns out alright. It's never promising to hear this.

Maybe they were making it like the first game with the cards but MS realized that it was super niche and they need more exclusives so now it's going to be a third person action game

It's probably just canceled though

Top Bottom