• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Studio Ghibli 2013 movies - Miyazaki's Kaze Tachinu and Takahata's Kaguya-hime

Status
Not open for further replies.

watkinzez

What does "pre-recording/post-animating" mean? That they finalize the animation after the voice work is done?

Whereas it's standard to record voices before animation in the west, the opposite is standard in Japan. There are a few exceptions- Akira, for one, as well as the present day scenes of Takahata's Only Yesterday. He puts it to good use in the extended car conversation scenes, catching every pause and shift in the dialogue visually.

Akira

So Miyazaki's pic will be set in a non-fantastical world? Hmm, somewhat disappointed but will still watch this. More excited about Takahata's movie...

The Boat

first second poster giving me Okami vibes

anyway, sign me the fuck up for both, as always

Late reply, but there's a good reason for that, Kaguya is in Okami :)
Ah0b6.jpg

duckroll

Heads-up! Comprehensive translation of the press conference interviews with Toshio Suzuki & Yoshiaki Nishimura originally provided by films' distributor TOHO some days ago (http://www2.toho-movie.jp/movie-topic/1212/05kaze_kaguya_sk.html):

Latest News - GhibliWiki
http://www.nausicaa.net/wiki/Latest_News#Press_Conference_Excerpt

Lots of great information there, thanks. I'm surprised they already started showing teasers. I wonder if anyone will record them with a camcorder... lol. >_<

Hearing that Kaguya-hime is going to be a "complete" version of the technique used in Yamadas is... pretty exciting.

Ratrat

Saw the teasers. Disappointed Kaze Tachinus protagonist wasnt a pig. Takahata's movie looked awesome/intriguing.

zeroshiki

***crosspost from AnimeGaf***

I saw trailers for Kaze Tachinu and Kaguya Hime today.

Did we already know that the lead in Kaze Tachinu was NOT a pig? Well, he's not. Both trailers were really short. Kaze Tachinu was just a kid launching a plane and then flying across a countryside (think Porco Rosso flying instead of Kiki during the Kiki opening).

Kaguya Hime is very stylized. Like, the poster itself is representative of how the movie is animated. Its... something new most definitely.

There was no dialogue in either and they just repeated the catch copies that we all already know.

Sushigod7

Wish the trailers would get posted online I don't see them anywhere. I assume you guys are seeing them in person somewhere?

Empty

Kaguya Hime is very stylized. Like, the poster itself is representative of how the movie is animated. Its... something new most definitely.

nice. i loved it when takahata experimented visually with yamadas

shame the delay will mean we have to wait even longer in the west :( :( :(

Danneee

Might be the wrong thread to ask but does anyone know when the bluray release of Porco rosso is due? In EU? It's the last one I need after Mononoke for my collection (of the ones I really like) to be complete.

zeroshiki

Might be the wrong thread to ask but does anyone know when the bluray release of Porco rosso is due? In EU? It's the last one I need after Mononoke for my collection (of the ones I really like) to be complete.

It will be a while since the BR isn't even out in Japan yet.

koopa_beach

Neo Member
***crosspost from AnimeGaf***

I saw trailers for Kaze Tachinu and Kaguya Hime today.

Did we already know that the lead in Kaze Tachinu was NOT a pig? Well, he's not. Both trailers were really short. Kaze Tachinu was just a kid launching a plane and then flying across a countryside (think Porco Rosso flying instead of Kiki during the Kiki opening).

There was no dialogue in either and they just repeated the catch copies that we all already know.

Hi Zeroshiki.

I was wondering if you could tell me what Kaze Tachinu's style is like? Is it a simplified style, like Ponyo, or the classically detailed Ghibli style, like Spirited Away?

The movie will have about 250,000 drawings, in a runtime of about 125 mins, meaning about 33 drawings a sec. Ponyo's frame rate was about 28 drawings a sec, and Spirited Away was only about 15.... Totoro was about 9....

So we're talking a film with extremely lavish and smooth animation. Can't wait to see it.

zeroshiki

Hi Zeroshiki.

I was wondering if you could tell me what Kaze Tachinu's style is like? Is it a simplified style, like Ponyo, or the classically detailed Ghibli style, like Spirited Away?

The movie will have about 250,000 drawings, in a runtime of about 125 mins, meaning about 33 drawings a sec. Ponyo's frame rate was about 28 drawings a sec, and Spirited Away was only about 15.... Totoro was about 9....

So we're talking a film with extremely lavish and smooth animation. Can't wait to see it.

Hmm... the trailer was very short. They only showed:

A girl walking up a hill -> airplane starting up -> dude controlling the plane -> plane flying

If you ask me what it reminded me most of, I'd say Kiki because of the flying.

There were no opportunities for insanely detailed backgrounds like in Spirited Away so I can't say if there were or were not.

Hi Zeroshiki.

I would think the more drawings per second, the potentially less detailed each one would end up being for cost reasons.

When the movie is 28/33 drawings per second, they end up converting it down to 24Hz anyways for theaters and home video, right? That's too bad, because even at 30Hz, it would look incredible over 24.

Usobuko

Banned
Personally, Takahata > Miyazaki.

And Miyazaki's best work is Nausicaä on manga.

I honestly don't think Ghibli have made a really good film since My Neighbour Yamadas and Spirited Away.

Yeah, Tales of Earthsea was the only one that was complete garbage. But the likes of ponyo, howls moving castle, arrietty simply weren't as memorable as their 80s/90s stuff, not to mention, the first two suffered from all of Miyazaki's worst TRAITS as a director.

Agreed with this gentleman.

GCX

There's supposed to be one insane scene in Kaze Tachinu with so much stuff going on that Miyazaki wasn't really sure if it's even possible to animate it. So I'd guess the style will be somewhat more detailed than Ponyo even with the high frames per second count.

qindarka

Banned
Yeah, Ghibli have had a rough decade. Makes me laugh when people refer to Pixar and Ghibli as the two titans of animation. I would say that Ponyo and A Cat Returns were pretty crappy and Earthsea had the worst storytelling I have ever seen in an animated movie.

Did like Arrietty and Poppy Hill though. And hopefully Kaze Tachinu will be good if only so Miyazaki doesn't sign of his directing career with a dud.

Yeah, Ghibli have had a rough decade. Makes me laugh when people refer to Pixar and Ghibli as the two titans of animation. I would say that Ponyo and A Cat Returns were pretty crappy and Earthsea had the worst storytelling I have ever seen in an animated movie.

I thoroughly liked Arrietty, and I loved how it ended. I think it's nearly as good as the earlier movies.... but I agree Ponyo and A Cat Returns and to a lesser extent Howl's were gorgeous movies that lacked the soul and emotion of the earlier works.

Mato

Miyazaki's looks a bit dull. I kind of prefer the older, more imaginative movies they were doing like Nausicca and Mononoke and even more recently Ponyo.

GCX

Miyazaki's looks a bit dull. I kind of prefer the older, more imaginative movies they were doing like Nausicca and Mononoke and even more recently Ponyo.
But we've only seen one poster.

I mean for example on Spirited Away poster there's a pic of Chihiro and nothing else. And on Ponyo's poster there's Ponyo in a bucket.

Mato

But we've only seen one poster.

I mean for example on Spirited Away poster there's a pic of Chihiro and nothing else. And on Ponyo's poster there's Ponyo in a bucket.

A rather dull poster. Don't get me wrong, I'll be happy if I turn out to be wrong.

Ratrat

I thought Kaze Tachinu looked a bit like Grave of the Fireflies. That is the main character looks like the older brother. Really can't say much as the teasers showed very little.

I like Ponyo you jerks... It was a straight up kids movie though.

What does that mean though? I think the only thing that can be considered a "straight-up kids movie" is something that talks down to its audience. Anything else would be better described as "family friendly".

I loved Ponyo and I'm 31.

What does that mean though? I think the only thing that can be considered a "straight-up kids movie" is something that talks down to its audience. Anything else would be better described as "family friendly".

I loved Ponyo and I'm 31.

Yeah I guess "family friendly" is a better way to describe it.

What were people's issues with Ponyo? I thought the whole film was mesmerizing.

I think some people are just desperate for a new Ghibli "epic" like Nausicaä or Mononoké and they are taking it out on movies like Ponyo.

Personally I'm aching for the same thing, but thankfully I also have the ability to enjoy the smaller scale stuff.

Branduil

I would think the more drawings per second, the potentially less detailed each one would end up being for cost reasons.

When the movie is 28/33 drawings per second, they end up converting it down to 24Hz anyways for theaters and home video, right? That's too bad, because even at 30Hz, it would look incredible over 24.

It's not like they're going to animate more cels than you can see. There will likely be a lot of overlapping cels.

qindarka

Banned
What were people's issues with Ponyo? I thought the whole film was mesmerizing.

I know it's a 'kid's movie' but that doesn't excuse the horrible story or characters who act rather inconsistently. Also doesn't help that a movie like this especially needs likable characters and Ponyo is an annoying brat. It is impossible to take the 'romance' seriously when the characters are 6 years old, doubly so when the whole thing is handled so slip-shoddily. And what is Fujimoto's plan anyway, one minute he wants to destroy humanity, the next he just wants his daughter to be OK.

And of course, Ponyo abandons her family and mutilates her body because she wants to be with a boy she just met. Very disturbing messages to kids there.

I think some people are just desperate for a new Ghibli "epic" like Nausicaä or Mononoké and they are taking it out on movies like Ponyo.

Personally I'm aching for the same thing, but thankfully I also have the ability to enjoy the smaller scale stuff.

We aren't taking it out on anything. We got an epic in Tales from Earthsea which was released just before Ponyo and it was also awful.

Did like Arrietty and Poppy Hill though. And hopefully Kaze Tachinu will be good if only so Miyazaki doesn't sign of his directing career with a dud.

If we're picking fights, Pixar have gone downhill since The Incredibles, with most of the good stuff in recent movies being in the first 10-15 minutes with a generic plot dumped on. Would have made for good animated shorts.

Arrietty beats anything Pixar has done in a while.

qindarka

Banned
If we're picking fights, Pixar have gone downhill since The Incredibles, with most of the good stuff in recent movies being in the first 10-15 minutes with a generic plot dumped on. Would have made for good animated shorts.

Arrietty beats anything Pixar has done in a while.

I am no Pixar fanboy, and my post was not meant to give that impression. I agree that Pixar have never matched the sustained quality of their first 6 films. Just seems like a lot of Western fans almost worship Ghibli despite not knowing much about them and only watching a select few of their best movies, then proclaiming them as the greatest, alongside Pixar, despite Ghibli's troubles.

I like Arrietty but it isn't that great. It is a very beautiful film with a great sense of atmosphere but the relationship of the two leads which should have been the heart of the story feels underdeveloped. Never really get the impression that they have formed a friendship or anything in the limited screen time they received together.

I apologize if I've been overly hostile to Ghibli in this post and the ones before. I do actually prefer them to Pixar, if we are judging the entire body of their work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom