• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Study: France, Germany, Spain&most Europe more racist towards blacks than Britain, US

Status
Not open for further replies.
file-20170425-12650-16jxfww.png

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/thi...-race-and-it-makes-for-uncomfortable-reading/

In every country in Europe, people are slower to associate blackness with positive words such as “good” or “nice” and faster to associate blackness with negative concepts such as “bad” or “evil”. But they are quicker to make the link between blackness and negative concepts in the Czech Republic or Lithuania than they are in Slovenia, the UK or Ireland.

In results that should surprise no one, the latest studies prove attitudes towards black people in America are far less racist than anywhere in Europe.

And also completely not surprising the lesser racist countries towards blacks in Europe are Britain, Sweden and Norway. There are also some other countries that rank well among attitudes towards blacks like Belgium, Austria and Slovenia.

When it comes to Europe the attitudes in Germany, France, Italy and Spain, are also terrible towards black people, and worse than more racially open countries like Britain or Sweden. But these attitudes are the worst in Eastern Europe.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the culture of most of Europe is to view black and colored people as inferior and second class. Its hard to deny, having even a little bit of experience, that racial attitudes in America and Britain are far superior to most of Europe.

Hopefully, these attitudes can improve everywhere. We still have a lot of work to do.

Kayhan

Shadowhelper said:
When it comes to Europe the attitudes in Germany, France, Italy and Spain, are also terrible towards black people

Why are you singling out Germany and France? They are very close in number to the UK.

The real story seems to be about Eastern Europe and Southern Europe.

Derwind

I'm pleasently surprised that Serbia has one of the more progressive views towards black people than anywhere else in Europe. Nice.

Eastern Europe needs to get its act together in terms of racism.

There is still a great deal of structural/institutional racism here in the UK, but it has definitely improved in terms of how people interact, especially amongst the young.

Fritz

Not saying we don't have to fight racism everywhere, but this article is just sensationalist

The exact meaning of implicit attitudes, and the IAT, are controversial, but we believe they reflect the automatic associations we hold in our minds, associations that develop over years of immersion in the social world.

UK got Idris Elba so they cool with black people.

On a serious note, it seems Brits and to a lesser extent the Irish are much more inclined to hate on Eastern Europeans than Blacks. No love for Poland over there thats for damn sure.

Keri

The United States, at least, has been conscious of and working on addressing racism for a while now. So, in some sense we have an advantage there. Also, thanks to slavery we have a much more mixed population and a more pressing need to figure things out.

What's the percentage population of black people, in these countries?

France, you're supposed to be the cool country
I'd love to see a regional or urban/rural breakdown but I'm sadly unsurprised. The usual "more urban"/"more educated" rule should apply.

I mean, the fact our cops aren't as trigger happy (even if they can still be racist assholes) or that we haven't built a private prison system around black bodies doesn't mean we're overall less racist, it just speaks to the means at our disposal (as a society).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Problems with methodology aside, the article links to a survey for the US which seems to generally show worse scores. The color coding seems to differ between the US and EU chart, putting EU in an unfavorable light.

gamma

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/thi...-race-and-it-makes-for-uncomfortable-reading/

In results that should surprise no one, the latest studies prove attitudes towards black people in America are far less racist than anywhere in Europe.

And also completely not surprising the lesser racist countries towards blacks in Europe are Britain, Sweden and Norway. There are also some other countries that rank well among attitudes towards blacks like Belgium, Austria and Slovenia.

When it comes to Europe the attitudes in Germany, France, Italy and Spain, are also terrible towards black people, and worse than more racially open countries like Britain or Sweden. But these attitudes are the worst in Eastern Europe.

Unfortunately, it seems as though the culture of most of Europe is to view black and colored people as inferior and second class. Its hard to deny, having even a little bit of experience, that racial attitudes in America and Britain are far superior to most of Europe.

Hopefully, these attitudes can improve everywhere. We still have a lot of work to do.

This shit is old, not sure why you dug it up again
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1368316

Hopefully it raises some awareness that the problems with racial divides aren't just a problem in the USA.

It's always been a problem around the world. A lot of white people have superiority issues, no matter what they're from. Some people on these boards just seemingly refused to acknowledge racial divides were an issue outside of the U.S., when that's never sorely been the case.

It's a heavily flawed test BTW.

liquidtmd

Banned
UK got Idris Elba so they cool with black people.

On a serious note, it seems Brits and to a lesser extent the Irish are much more inclined to hate on Eastern Europeans than Blacks. No love for Poland over there thats for damn sure.

In the UK? I've been all over the North West and seen large Polish communities be embraced.

In Wrexham, Wales where I currently am sure there's the usual fucking occasional stupid story of hate but by and large there are large pockets of settled, happy Poles.

Purely in my experience obvs

Shit I remember that test now. I hate those style tests personally, it all feels like its trying to trick you based on muscle memory from earlier rounds of the test.

In the UK? I've been all over the North West and seen large Polish communities be embraced.

In Wrexham, Wales where I currently am sure there's the usual fucking occasional stupid story of hate but by and large there are large pockets of settled, happy Poles.

Purely in my experience obvs

Anecdotal obviously for me as well, but I've only ever heard comments from friends and family about Polish people taking jobs at Sainsburys or some equivalent low skill job. Lamenting the EU letting them in, "oh you'd never used to see that". Never heard anything about black people, although that could be a citizen vs immigrant thing.

Fuchsdh

Crazy cause 60 years ago black people use to emigrate to France to get away from racism

I have to imagine there was a more positive reception towards black people at the time in part because of their relative rarity. A lot harder to hold ingrained prejudices against people you're not regularly interacting with. Now with the influx of African immigrants there's a lot more negative associations to develop and be fostered by bigots.

Mainland France also never had the same types of codified racial laws as in their own colonies and that of other European powers, so I imagine in the Jim Crow era pretty much everything would look far better in comparison, especially to black emigres.

With that said, I don't really buy the utility of IAT outside of general attitudes, certainly not to the extent of ranking countries. While with far lower numbers of minorities sampling isn't as good, I'd say the best metrics for determining at least systemic racism in a country is in economic and social outlooks with race as the independent variable.

Implicit association tests are awful, and even if they weren't, the samples for those tests are self-selecting.

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2017/01/psychologys-racism-measuring-tool-isnt-up-to-the-job.html

This graph is meaningless; completely unfit to make international comparisons of the nature it wants.

I was sceptical already when I noticed that this thread was made by this guy:

Muslims are the second most affluent class in America.

They are 10% of all doctors in America. Very well off.

They don't face the same prejudices in America, and have far more opportunities. America just doesn't have the same racist culture of Europe, so minorities can prosper. Once you have a passport, you're American. If you're not white, you'll never be a European. You can take that to the bank.

Muslims in Europe face brutal racism and discrimination, and poverty, and unofficial rules that give them zero opportunities. Especially in countries like France. Frances own government studies have concluded it poverty and discrimination in the work force is at the heart of extremism in their country.

Well.

Reserving judgement until somebody links better sources on this topic.

Kayhan

Problems with methodology aside, the article links to a survey for the US which seems to generally show worse scores. The color coding seems to differ between the US and EU chart, putting EU in an unfavorable light.

OP, don't run away, explain yourself.

Muslims are the second most affluent class in America.

They are 10% of all doctors in America. Very well off.

They don't face the same prejudices in America, and have far more opportunities. America just doesn't have the same racist culture of Europe, so minorities can prosper. Once you have a passport, you're American. If you're not white, you'll never be a European. You can take that to the bank.

Muslims in Europe face brutal racism and discrimination, and poverty, and unofficial rules that give them zero opportunities. Especially in countries like France. Frances own government studies have concluded it poverty and discrimination in the work force is at the heart of extremism in their country.

Oh I see now. You go out of your way to paint Europe in a negative light.

Why do you hate Europe so much? Who hurt you?

Seriously, your incendiary comments in the "US vs Europe food" thread, calling numerous countries local food terrible/bland/bad, including Italian pizza.

The claim that Europe is a favored terror target because there is no discrimination against Muslims in the US(garnished with the "10% of doctors" myth)

And now this, which people have pointed out is both old and misleading.
Are you trolling or are you trying to compensate/get revenge for something?

This test is old, has been highly criticized, plus there was already a thread and the OP knows that but posts it as news anyway. Look at his post history and laugh.

Obviously, that's not to say that racism is not a problem in those countries sadly, but this is just manipulative bullshit from one of the worst trolls on GAF.

Fritz

Lol, OP, check your sources. Germany scores better than California for example

img_04700kbyi.png

Irminsul

Everyone in this thread should read the NYMag article Crab linked to. Not only is the IAT in itself rather flawed and untrustworthy (because, in contrast to what it claims, it's not really clear what it actually tests), but using it in such a way, especially with the caveat that it's only available in English, is completely useless. Well, except if you want to draw a map with a few colours on.

sirap

France, you're supposed to be the cool country

Everyone says this until they actually go there lol. We lived there for a few years and it wasn't all sunshine and roses.

I guess it's okay if you're a tourist (and not brown/black/muslim)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom