• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stupid French People...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dekajelly

Stupid French People...

Come on England.
StGeorgesFlagAnimated.gif

2 - 0 on Sunday :D

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Saturnman said:
Why do you care?

Because I take that particular sort of stupidity displayed to back up an entrenched opinion as a personal insult, especially this morning.

Saturnman

Banned
Change is coming and even in a relatively secular society, you're bound to have those people come out in the open and express those views. Screw political correctness, I think this is good. If there is really any reason to still ban gay marriages, I wanna hear it. But I doubt this will hold in the courts in the long-term.

Now you can go back to what you do best and defend bad PA strips. :)

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Saturnman said:
Now you can go back to what you do best and defend bad PA strips. :)

I take offence at that. I don't think I've ever actually defended a PA strip (because humour is subjective and if you don't find it funny then you don't find it funny) - just advised poor quality trolls that if they hate them so much they shouldn't read them or think that anyone else cares that they still don't like Penny Arcade. Tycho and Gabe have the decency to keep their cartoons on a web site - I don't see why the haters can't do likewise, so that anyone who actually wants to know can get their three-times-weekly updates from belgurdostillhatespennyarcade.com...

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
:p Vaguely back on topic, it isn't a question of political correctness. I take less offence at people who don't want gays to get married because it's a crime against nature, because it's never been legal before, or even because God told them they shouldn't let gays get married. It's just the idea that whether gay people are married or not would have any impact on the chances of them having children.

I agree completely that all views on gay marriages need to be aired. Some of them then need to be pointed at and laughed at, though.

And what do you doubt will hold in the courts in the long term? The gay marriage in France, the attempt to annul it, or the attempt to prove that the attempt to annul it violates the couple's human rights?

Saturnman

Banned
It's a basic human rights issue, I don't see how the European courts can maintain the ban on gay marriage forever. Not with the statement quoted in the topic header anyway.

Vive la France. They have more class and sophistication than the US ever will.

It's true. One needs to only look at the differences in the film and art each country puts out for to the world to see.

i.e. Something like Germinal vs. Titanic (unfair comparison, but they are both movies dealing with class conflict.)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
reggieandTFE said:
It's true. One needs to only look at the differences in the film and art each country puts out for to the world to see.

i.e. Something like Germinal vs. Titanic (unfair comparison, but they are both movies dealing with class conflict.)

you do know that there are tons of great non-mainstream/non-hollywood american films.. right ?

Ripclawe

Banned
I refuse to make a Jerry Lewis joke at this point in time, but this gay marriage stuff is all about you will follow the french law and like it, there is nothing more important than the republic of France! if the law says man and woman is a marriage, then that is what it is. deal with it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ripclawe said:
I refuse to make a Jerry Lewis joke at this point in time, but this gay marriage stuff is all about you will follow the french law and like it, there is nothing more important than the republic of France! if the law says man and woman is a marriage, then that is what it is. deal with it.

Welcome to the European Union, your laws mean nothing here.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
this reminds me of this big uproar here in Aus this week.. basically this kids' show "Play School' showed a segment interviewing a young girl with gay parents and now the sky is falling in :p

Ripclawe

Banned
Ghost said:
Welcome to the European Union, your laws mean nothing here.

The day EU does something to France will be the first. They can't even enforce the financial pact on them, much less anything else.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Thats because France has its veto, when it comes to the European Court of Justice, theres not a thing france can do to stop them saying Gay marriage is ok (dont know if they will or not).

And france has been disiplined by the EU before on a few occassions, i think one was for refusing to import german goods.

Its only the European Parliament that cant touch them.

Ripclawe

Banned
Ghost said:
Thats because France has its veto, when it comes to the European Court of Justice, theres not a thing france can do to stop them saying Gay marriage is ok (dont know if they will or not).

And france has been disiplined by the EU before on a few occassions, i think one was for refusing to import german goods.

Its only the European Parliament that cant touch them.

No, France and Germany said blow out your ass to the EU while the EU backed down and gave them more time without financial penalities, BUT they decided to pick on the dutch for the same thing.

http://www.eubusiness.com/afp/040608015348.u7sqjwxo

and what the EU has punished france for has been nothing more than slaps on the wrists on other occasions. France will not allow the EU to impose anything it doesn't want, the same goes for Germany, its because of this the anti euro and far right parties are enjoying a surge in popularity ahead of the EU elections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom