• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stylish and unique first-person shooter Severed Steel (previously known as Impact) launches this summer for PS4, Xbox One, and PC

Severed Steel, a “stylish and visceral single-player first-person shooter” previously known as Impact, will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam this summer, publisher Digerati and developer Greylock Studio announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

About

Severed Steel is a single-player first-person shooter featuring a fluid stunt system, destructible voxel environments, loads of bullet time, and a unique one-armed protagonist. It’s you, your trigger finger, and a steel-toed boot against a superstructure full of bad guys. Chain together wall runs, dives, flips, and slides to take every last enemy down.

Key Features
  • A Unique Fighter – Play as Steel, a nimble, one-armed sharpshooter on a mission. There is no reloading—pick your shots well and be ready to pry a loaded weapon from your enemies’ cold dead hands.
  • Stylish Combat – Dodge bullets, leap off walls, slide kick, throw weapons – do whatever it takes to come out on top in intense and frenzied firefights.
  • Fully Destructible Environment – Pepper through plaster with sharp 4.7 millimeter rounds, punch through thick concrete with .50 cal slugs, or make big holes in things with your arm cannon.
  • Dynamic AI – No two battles are the same thanks to dynamic, unscripted, squad-based AI.

Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_001.jpg
Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_002.jpg

Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_003.jpg
Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_004.jpg

Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_005.jpg
Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_006.jpg

Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_007.jpg
Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_008.jpg

Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_010.jpg
Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_011.jpg

Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_012.jpg
Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_013.jpg

Severed-Steel_2021_03-14-21_009.jpg

Looks pretty cool.

Last edited:
Watched the trailer, first impression is that it has a very strong F.E.A.R. influence with the slo-mo, the kick and the ending message.

That midair upside down shot at around 0:42 is a rare sight, it feels like FPSes involving human bodies (and not ships like Descent/Forsaken) tend to avoid such camera maneuvers.

Watched the trailer, first impression is that it has a very strong F.E.A.R. influence with the slo-mo, the kick and the ending message.

That midair upside down shot at around 0:42 is a rare sight, it feels like FPSes involving human bodies (and not ships like Descent/Forsaken) tend to avoid such camera maneuvers.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty neat. F.E.A.R. also had pretty good A.I. if I remember correctly. This looks like it will be fun and challenging.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty neat. F.E.A.R. also had pretty good A.I. if I remember correctly. This looks like it will be fun and challenging.
Yeah at the time both Half-Life and F.E.A.R were known for having good AI.

It definitely looks fun as long as one doesn't have motion sickness haha. Can't imagine playing this without doing all the acrobatic stuff.

StevieWhite

Good morning! Game looks great.
Is there any support for 60fps or next gen. Consoles? Thanks.
Right now, we're focusing on the PC build - just upping the content. The porting process is in the VERY early stages - obviously we've put out a trailer that highlights the PS4, but we have no official word on PS5/XSX yet. The game is built in UE, and we're hopeful that 60FPS will be a reality on consoles -that is always what we're shooting for. When playing the preproduction builds, I play the game on the following specs at 4k/60 with minimal hitches - but obviously we're not done yet, so do not take this as a definitive promise :)

Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @3.8GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Last edited:

Gold_Loot

Right now, we're focusing on the PC build - just upping the content. The porting process is in the VERY early stages - obviously we've put out a trailer that highlights the PS4, but we have no official word on PS5/XSX yet. The game is built in UE, and we're hopeful that 60FPS will be a reality on consoles -that is always what we're shooting for. When playing the preproduction builds, I play the game on the following specs at 4k/60 with minimal hitches - but obviously we're not done yet, so do not take this as a definitive promise :)

Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @3.8GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0GB
System Type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. If anything, I would love to see maybe an “unlocked frame rate” option for us playing on new gen hardware. Thanks.

Give the team our regards, and good luck.

StevieWhite

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. If anything, I would love to see maybe an “unlocked frame rate” option for us playing on new gen hardware. Thanks.

Give the team our regards, and good luck.
I have a hunch that the dev wants an unlocked frame rate option across the board as well ;-) - I know I do, but there's only so much I can say right now. Appreciate the well-wishes!

StevieWhite

There's a lot of fun interesting stuff the team is working on - gameplay mutators and the like. There's not TOO much I can divulge right now, but I can confirm we've got big head and paintball mode. Personally, it has been a joy to work on a game that really just goes nuts with everything - it's a real blast. We were really thrilled gman liked it!

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A stylish and visceral single-player FPS featuring a fluid stunt system, destructible voxel environments, loads of bullet time, a unique one-armed protagonist, and a dark electronic soundtrack. The developer breaks down common player tactics used in the Severed Steel demo in this gameplay trailer, showcased durig Guerrilla Collective Day 2.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Another new demo out with even more levels and weapons.

Probably the best demo I've played in a long time. The gunplay is top notch, full version is going to be ridiculous.

StevieWhite

Another new demo out with even more levels and weapons.

Probably the best demo I've played in a long time. The gunplay is top notch, full version is going to be ridiculous.

Thank you for the kind words!

Just wanted to share this, as it was a surreal and awesome moment for the team:

If John Romero looks at this thing I'll probably crap my pants - and I'm not even a designer.

SweetShark

So far I saw 4 enemies types.
I wonder if we see more of them adm of course Bosses. How exactly a Boss fight can work?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This sleek, ultra stylized first-person shooter features a one-armed protagonist who uses parkour acrobatics to get the jump on enemies. It arrives on Steam and the Epic Games Store on September 17.

StevieWhite

This looks like it will be super fun. Imagine this in VR!
We've thought about it - but it would make 99% of the audience puke! This one would need to be given a ground up overhaul for VR, which would take a looooooooot of effort. Never going to say never, but not soon :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Launching tomorrow! Hope everyone who gets a copy enjoys it/ Very excited to see it heading out the door. Workshop support is a blast!

Top Bottom