• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subnautica |Early Access| Dive into an alien ocean of danger and beauty

Tunahead

No no, that's the entirely separate disappearing knife glitch that happens when you use the knife normally. My disappearing knife glitch is the one that happens when I try to use a fabricator to build tools, most recently the mobile vehicle bay, and somehow the tool that spawns in my inventory overwrites the knife. None of my knives have ever come back after reloading a save.

EDIT: I just reloaded a save where I had a knife, and that caused the knife to disappear.

NH Apache

Banned
No no, that's the entirely separate disappearing knife glitch that happens when you use the knife normally. My disappearing knife glitch is the one that happens when I try to use a fabricator to build tools, most recently the mobile vehicle bay, and somehow the tool that spawns in my inventory overwrites the knife. None of my knives have ever come back after reloading a save.

EDIT: I just reloaded a save where I had a knife, and that caused the knife to disappear.

My issue lately has been trying to edit the base causes my solar panels and bio reactor to disappear. At first I thought it was a hostile fish, but nope, bug.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
This is the first game I picked up for the PC I just built, and if I'm honest it was the catalyst to get me to build it in the first place. Spent a few hours getting lost in the atmosphere last night, it's really great and quite addictive.

I've had the odd bug (my knife vanished, anyone heard of this bug? anyone? :p) but all in all it's been a wonderful re-intro to pc gaming. I do get a bit of 'load in' on landscapes/formations etc - it makes it hard to see things in the distance - but it sounds like that's a Unity engine issue?

As for starter tips, I found some good youtube videos as well as some 'getting started' guides on the wiki.

senahorse

Any idea when performance is going to be fixed for VR? Running this on a 5820K and GTX1080 with a Rift it keeps hitching and dropping down to as low as 40fps (changing settings has no effect on it). Looking into it, it apparently has to do with terraforming, I saw about 5 different updates from the dev that it will be fixed "next month" since December.

LaneDS

Any idea when performance is going to be fixed for VR? Running this on a 5820K and GTX1080 with a Rift it keeps hitching and dropping down to as low as 40fps (changing settings has no effect on it). Looking into it, it apparently has to do with terraforming, I saw about 5 different updates from the dev that it will be fixed "next month" since December.

I mean, it's a million times more playable in VR now than it was a few months ago. Are there more promised improvements on the way? I'd expect it to get better of course, but it went from basically unplayable to pretty playable for me on my rig (i7-4790k, 980ti) semi-recently.

Deraj

Finally bought this and I am so glad I did. First time in a long time that I've felt a sense of wonder while playing a game. Would buy again just for that.

ironcreed

Banned
How have I missed this? Holy shit, it looks amazing. Especially considering my great fear of and fascination with the sea.

heringer

How accessible is the game? Is the crafting and exploring intuitive or do I need countless guides to get through the game?

How accessible is the game? Is the crafting and exploring intuitive or do I need countless guides to get through the game?
Very intuitive IMO. It's driven by the desire to explore deeper, so air pipes to carry air to the depths, guidelines to mark your way through a cave, better gear to swim faster and stay submerged longer, etc.

heringer

Very intuitive IMO. It's driven by the desire to explore deeper, so air pipes to carry air to the depths, guidelines to mark your way through a cave, better gear to swim faster and stay submerged longer, etc.

Cool! I'm really interested in this to hold me until No Man's Sky. I'm a sucker for underwater games like this too, since I'm a big fan of Endless Ocean. I was waiting for the final release though, but I heard it's pretty much feature complete at this point?

Cool! I'm really interested in this to hold me until No Man's Sky. I'm a sucker for underwater games like this too, since I'm a big fan of Endless Ocean. I was waiting for the final release though, but I heard it's pretty much feature complete at this point?
Dont know about that, but what's there is solid and engaging, and the devs release big substantial updates often

heringer

Wow, is the massive stuttering normal? One time it's 60 fps locked, than I turn and the fps suddenly tanks for a moment. Also, I cant change the resolution.

Wow, is the massive stuttering normal? One time it's 60 fps locked, than I turn and the fps suddenly tanks for a moment. Also, I cant change the resolution.
They haven't done much optimization yet

Also search the Steam discussions; there's a dev console with more graphics options

Dont know about that, but what's there is solid and engaging, and the devs release big substantial updates often

No, it's not feature complete. The last several biomes aren't finished to the point of only having base geometry and textures, the story isn't really implemented yet, and several vehicles, items, animals, and tech trees aren't in the stable version.

If you're on PC, you can use the Experimental version to explore early versions of
the Lost River, a more-fleshed out Aurora and the Lava Zones
, as well as use some more tools, wildlife, and vehicles, but it's even more buggy and unstable than the main release.

One of the main reasons for the performance issues is the voxel-based terrain and terraforming, which is going to be removed in either the next patch, which should be out this week, or the next one in September.

heringer

Hmm, thanks guys!

I absolutely LOVED what I played. Right up my alley. Very immersive and scary sometimes.

However, I think I'm going to ask for a refund. I simply can't stand the stuttering and performance issues.

I'm definitely buying the game again when it's closer to completion, though.

epmode

Wow, is the massive stuttering normal? One time it's 60 fps locked, than I turn and the fps suddenly tanks for a moment.

The game stutters as it streams in new assets, even on a fast SSD.

I kinda doubt the performance issues will all be ironed out. Unity tends to have trouble with large scale games like this. I'd love to be proven wrong.

DedValve

Banned
Played the 1 hour trial on xbox one. This is what will get me to buy a gaming pc and vr headset. As someone who loves the ocean and adores stuff like abzu or monster hunter tri this is my kind of game.

DMTripper

Hi all, just bought this game and subscribed to the thread. Any idea how long this will be early access and also any other major updates planned?

Hoping to give this a go later, don't wanna read to much and go in fairly blind. Love the gifs on the first page.

Peace!

Edit.. I've got a gtx 960 2g card and a i5-4590, will my rig be OK? Its on a ssd with 16g of ram also.

Aselith

Hi all, just bought this game and subscribed to the thread. Any idea how long this will be early access and also any other major updates planned?

Hoping to give this a go later, don't wanna read to much and go in fairly blind. Love the gifs on the first page.

Peace!

Edit.. I've got a gtx 960 2g card and a i5-4590, will my rig be OK? Its on a ssd with 16g of ram also.

Rough estimate currently but they are looking at December. And yes big updates still planned here's their roadmap:

https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

cjdunn

PRAWN update released
exo_ad_under_16x9-618x348.jpg

I'm glad I was able to resist and uninstall this when I did, I would have hate to burned out on it before all this amazing content got released. Do they have a timeline for 1.0?

Arkanius

I'm always on the fence to get this game. I'm against Early Access but boy, do I love the concept.

We need more aquatic games in our lives.
And I'm also a fan of Unknown Worlds and their work on Natural Selection...

I'm always on the fence to get this game. I'm against Early Access but boy, do I love the concept.

We need more aquatic games in our lives.
And I'm also a fan of Unknown Worlds and their work on Natural Selection...
This dev is up there with Harebrained Schemes and Klei as the gold standard of how to do early access right. Trello roadmap, constant communication, regular major updates plus smaller updates in between

Arkanius

This dev is up there with Harebrained Schemes and Klei as the gold standard of how to do early access right. Trello roadmap, constant communication, regular major updates plus smaller updates in between

So according to the roadmap, the game will be Feature complete for V1.0 around January?
Tempting...

Two more patches + Polish patch left.

pretty accessible but I still needed to search the interwebz for assistance. The lack of overall structure and objectives makes it a little harder for some to understand what it is they're supposed to be doing.

Started a new playthrough and I finally made the cyclops!! Just need 2 more pieces for the PRAWN suit and then I'll try it out.

A bit bigger than I expected it to be O_O, I honestly thought it would be stuck lol but I managed to get it out.

While driving the cyclops feels like a bus, it's still awesome exploring unknown territory. Who knows what scary things lie in the bottom of the deep......

Man I freaking love this game, can't wait until it's finished.

edit: Sorry if the screens look rough, my video card is a potato.

Vlad

Just picked this up on sale, and while I saw some of the earlier posts about disappearing knives, I figured that hey, those posts are from August, of course the devs have fixed that bug by now.

Three hours of playtime and four missing knives later, it would seem that that's not the case.

I'm also wondering, how is battery recharging supposed to work? I built a seaglide, and after running the battery dry on it, replaced it with one from my inventory, I put the empty in a locker in a base I'm building. When I reloaded my save game, the battery was full again! Is this the intended behavior?

Vlad

Got this during the recent sale, and already have about eight hours sunk into it. I'm enjoying it so far, although I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about the progress seemingly being more tied into what blueprints you find vs just finding better resources to make stuff. I built the Seamoth not too long ago, and am enjoying not having to trudge around with half an inventory full of pipes to do anything.

I did have an interesting moment of problem solving today, too. I was cruising back to my main base and I managed to get my Seamoth beached up on a section of land that was about a foot below the water level. I couldn't push it, so I swam back to base, grabbed my Seaglide, and tried ramming it while going a bit faster...

Nothing.

Now, I could have built a second one, but I assumed that the game would still leave the first one lying around, leaving me with an extra beacon for the beached craft. That's when I remembered those little floating creatures that you see attached to boulders. I knew I could pick them up, and I wondered if I could attach them to the Seamoth to give it some lift.

After finding a couple, I Seaglided over to the beached Seamoth, and after a little fiddling and pushing, the two Floaters did their job and my poor craft was free!

Vlad

Hmmm, I'm starting to regret my purchase.

I like the basic idea of the game, and all those fancy videos they've been releasing about all the new content made me think they were on top of things, but holy shit is this a buggy game.

Beyond just the constant crashes and the game always hitching when I'm moving around at anything faster than swimming speed, there's enough little bugs here and there that the times where I am stuck make me wonder if it's just part of the game or if it's a bug.

For example, I just made a Cyclops under the assumption that I'd be able to get deeper than 200 meters with it. The in-game database even says it can go as deep as 400 meters or so, but as soon as I approach 200 meters, I start getting the same "hull damage imminent" warnings that I get in the Seamoth. According to the blueprints screen, I've unlocked a module for the Cyclops that will allow it to go deeper, but damned if I can figure out how to make it. It's not listed in the fabricator or the vehicle station, and while I have blueprints for something called a Vehicle Modification Station, the game won't let me build it anywhere in my base.

And like I said, I have no idea what parts of this are bugs or just that the game wants me to do something differently that it hasn't conveyed. I like the idea of the various distress calls you get from your pod sort of goosing you to different areas to explore, but the last few I've gotten haven't been anything useful (one was garbled text, the other just said "REMOVED"). Again, no clue if these are just more bugs or intended.

DMTripper

^ I'm just going to wait till full release before I play anymore. I agree it's a bit buggy but that's early access for you. I have enough games to play so I don't mind waiting.

Vlad

^ I'm just going to wait till full release before I play anymore. I agree it's a bit buggy but that's early access for you. I have enough games to play so I don't mind waiting.

I think I'm going to do the same. As much as I wouldn't want to start over with all the early grindy stuff, the crashes are starting to get to me.

Vlad

Bah, I told myself I'd wait, but the new patch they dropped today made me too curious if they'd fixed what was wrong. On the plus side, you get things up and running a LOT faster the second time around than the first. Haven't noticed a whole lot of new stuff yet in the early game, but right now I've only got the very start of a base going and just built the seaglide.

I still wish the battery on that seaglide would last just a teeny bit longer.

baconcow

Really curious when the final release happens , as not that long ago in their
roadmap v1.0 was planned for January/February and now they its mid-May

Their roadmap changes a lot. Full release used to be August/September 2016 and now it is mid-2017. Based on how much content remains unfinished, and the current state of performance, I wouldn't expect the finished product until late 2017.

Spectone

I bought this game for my eight year old for Christmas. Then he made me play it and I was hooked. I built my first base near the start on the shallow areas. Now I have visited the floating island and have two bases and farms.

I enjoy how the recipes for crafting certain items are hidden over the map. Swimming across a deep area where you cannot see the bottom and don't know what lurks there. Caves that go down deeper than I can reach with my current equipment. How the fauna and flora light up at night.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Just got this game as a Christmas gift. Very interesting concept and I died a few times already haha. Repaired my escape pod and will look into building my first base soon :) curiously, do all the resources regenerate? The fishes for one, and then all the salt, quartz, copper... etc?

Top Bottom