• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

coldfoot

Banned
İ don't think one can deduce ps4 clock speed from this it can be many factors:
1. CPU cores reserved for OS
2. Memory interface
3. Status of API and drivers
4. Effect of gpu on test, how do we know this is purely a CPU test?
Etc

Rivver

Banned
Obviously this doesn't account for the secret CPU on the Xbone. Or was it a secret GPU? I forget. Either way, Half Life 3 confirmed.

Crisco

Banned
Hard to believe that Sony wouldn't have shouted this from the rooftops if true. They haven't been shy about flexing their tech spec muscle.

Krakn3Dfx

Obviously this doesn't account for the secret CPU on the Xbone. Or was it a secret GPU? I forget. Either way, Half Life 3 confirmed.

dGPU to be unveiled alongside Titanfall.

Believe.

Hard to believe that Sony wouldn't have shouted this from the rooftops if true. They haven't been shy about flexing their tech spec muscle.

They've been pretty vocal that all multiplatform titles will look and run better on the PS4. The only reason MS announced the XB1 CPU clocks was due to the drumming they were taking on comparison specs. Otherwise, we likely never would have heard the One's CPU speed either.

daveo42

Banned
I think the greater likelihood is that the PS4 has less cores reserved for the OS. GopherD said they were aiming for less than 1 core.

This. We all know that Xbox has 2 cores reserved for their OS structure, so Sony being able to build a more light weight OS that needs less processing oomph means they have more cores available.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Regardless of the explanation, the take-home message is that PS4's CPU is better.

Which however you cut it is kind of funny after the PR that Microsoft put out about their 53MHz clock bump.

Regardless of the explanation, the take-home message is that PS4's CPU is better.

Which however you cut it is kind of funny after the PR that Microsoft put out about their 53MHz clock bump.
175MHz for the CPU. The 53MHz relates to the GPU.

Still, it makes no difference in the age of GPU compute. Both CPUs are very weak, around the same power as what is expected from top line mobile processors in 2014.

Krisprolls

Banned
Next-gen CPUs are only 3x faster than modern cell phones? lololol

GPUs are a lot more important in consoles than CPUs. You can't compare a console to a phone or even a PC anyway. Different architecture, RAM, bandwidth, no bottleneck, no API overhead, closed system... You can squeeze a lot more power from a console.

This. We all know that Xbox has 2 cores reserved for their OS structure, so Sony being able to build a more light weight OS that needs less processing oomph means they have more cores available.

The mobile chip results also listed actually suggest it is indeed per core, otherwise the Tegra 4 should have a larger advantage over the dual core chip.

Salex_

Random question, but what exactly is the CPU used for gaming wise? And why would both companies use shitty CPUs?

McHuj

This could also be the result of different compilers as MS would definitely write their own and I'm guessing Sony is using a GCC based one?

Vizzeh

Banned
'You can get more out of PS4's CPU'

Not sure that translates to a 2ghz CPU clock, but the figures surely exist because of the benchmarks, or if this translates to less OS/SNAP/Kinect overheads.

Freki

Yes, you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than you can the Xbox's.
Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Random question, but what exactly is the CPU used for gaming wise? And why would both companies use shitty CPUs?

Games are running more and more through the GPU these days. Everyone claiming that it's a mobile part is referring to a 4 core version. Both consoles have 8 cores. The CPU are sufficient for what needs to be done, nothing more. It's a big part of why PS4 is heavily customized for GPU compute functionality. You'll be able to do more both in compute and visuals with a heavier GPU these days than you will with a beefy CPU.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn.

Xbox One is a disaster hardware wise.

Guess it could be worse, could be the WiiU.

Oh well. Looking forward to Halo 5.

Top Bottom