• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

delta25

Banned
Both CPUs are ass. This is kind of a non-story, so I don't see much controversy.

Yep, one is a little bit less shit than expected
still better than the other way around obviously

But you know how people mock the 380percent wii u sales increase as lol 3.8x 0 is still 0
this is like that but with a smaller increment

Lol, no.

---
And actual results are quite strange, i7 result is quite low in comparison.

They came and went, like farts in the wind. ;)

anywho:

I was always under the impression that the Xbox one' CPU was clocked higher than the PS4, could the PS4 being faster have anything to do with the Xbox one having a lot more overhead in terms of OS and other features?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Seems like the most straightforward explanation is that PS4 is also running at 1.75GHz and has one less CPU core reserved for the OS?

Freki

I don't believe any of this. Can we get confirmation from Penello and Major Nelson?

How could you believe anything they say?

Albert Pennello:
"I will ask two questions of the detractors, honest questions.

1. What piece of information would you want that I could provide that would convince you there is not a huge delta in performance?
2. If it comes out after we launch that the difference between 3rd party games is maybe single-digit FPS between the two platforms, will I get an apology or concession?"​
source

and
"Performance: I’m not dismissing raw performance. I’m stating – as I have stated from the beginning – that the performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about our system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about theirs as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers? Seriously? There is no way we’re giving up a 30%+ advantage to Sony. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I get a ton of hate for saying this – but it’s been the same EVERY generation. Sony claims more power, they did it with Cell, they did it with Emotion Engine, and they are doing it again. And, in the end, games on our system looked the same or better.

I’m not saying they haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years… "​
source

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Seems like the most straightforward explanation is that PS4 is also running at 1.75GHz and has one less CPU core reserved for the OS?

My guess as well. The 1.75GHz number was probably a result AMD came to that was very much similar to previous heat output/power draw as 1.6 and just applied it to the CPUs.

Wasn't the CPU the only thing the Bone excelled the PS4 hardware-wise? lol

Hard to say. Sony has never dropped an official clock for the CPU, so who knows. MS dropped a number, plus a CPU clock increase, so everyone defaulted to "Xone has a more powerful CPU!".

Unsubstantiated claim, but so were a lot of things surrounding the X1.

leadbelly

Banned
Games are running more and more through the GPU these days. Everyone claiming that it's a mobile part is referring to a 4 core version. Both consoles have 8 cores. The CPU are sufficient for what needs to be done, nothing more. It's a big part of why PS4 is heavily customized for GPU compute functionality. You'll be able to do more both in compute and visuals with a heavier GPU these days than you will with a beefy CPU.

Both consoles have 8 cores but the CPUs are based on Jaguar architecture, which is a low-power SoC designed for notebooks, tablets, etc.

Vizzeh

Banned
I don't believe any of this. Can we get confirmation from Penello and Major Nelson?

Albert already suggested their CPU was faster, altho that was likely based on the information we had also knowing the Xbox CPU clock speed + not knowing the PS4's...he ran with it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The alternative is that MS had to downclock the CPU again because it wasn't as stable as they originally thought, so their CPU is also 1.6GHz and it has one more core reserved.

orioto

Good Art™
It's just more and more clear, to me at least, that the xbone is less powerful that what it was meant to be on the paper. Nobody was expecting that difference in multi titles on launch. Games with unimpressive graphics are not even running in fullhd.. There is something off.

I would bet Kinect is costing more than what it should (price and/or resources).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Both consoles have 8 cores but the CPUs are based on Jaguar architecture, which is a low-power SoC designed for notebooks, tablets, etc.
Yes but it's still pretty disingenuous to call the PS4/XBO CPUs mobile/netbook parts when they dramatically outperform those. Sure, the CPUs are unimpressive but they're not as underpowered as that would imply.

We have 2 cores for the OS from the Killzone Shadowfall pdf.

That was from February. It could have changed since then.

Crisco

Banned
You know, you could probably talk me into believing that "the cloud" could make up for that performance delta in certain applications. It would have to be something like an MMO or other highly CPU intensive games that require an always on internet connection. Of course, there is literally no reason the PS4 couldn't take advantage of the same technology.

So all that shit I've been reading about Xbone having a "better" CPU the past few months from certain MS fans was just some more fantasy land bs born out of talk of upclocks and shit? Dayuuuum.

I'm not even gonna mock here, because those cats will never hear the end of this one probably.

leadbelly

Banned
Yes but it's still pretty disingenuous to call the PS4/XBO CPUs mobile/netbook parts when they dramatically outperform those. Sure, the CPUs are unimpressive but they're not as underpowered as that would imply.

Well, I'm not really implying that myself, it is more the argument that it can't be clocked at 2ghz because of the PS4's form factor. I'm not saying it is, it could be that it has an extra core in use, but considering it is based on a low-power CPU designed for mobile devices, it might be possible.

Pritchardo

Neo Member
Yeah but that was a long time ago. It strikes me as very possible that they would have got CPU utilisation down to one core in the months since February, no?

And one's even less good, by a not-insignificant margin (PS4 is around 1/6th more powerful).

meh, the only time ill worry about specs is on a pc which is why ill buy multi platform games on there. if the exclusive games are great on both then specs and power doesn't matter.

Vizzeh

Banned
lol both cpus aren't good to begin with

14mb/s vs 12mb/s is a decent difference per second. These CPU's are better than you think or alot of people think, they may not be i7's but they do not need to be, they are DEDICATED cpu's with alot of the consoles primary workload put onto the GPU's (of which the PS4 had significant compute) 8 Cores * 2ghz = is decent (albeit 1/2 likely reserved for OS)

Last Gen 360 had a 3 Core 3.2ghz... do the math.

jaypah

SHIT

JUST

GOT

REAL

Did it? Games have been out for weeks now, if the Xbox had a better CPU it wasn't helping anyway. Can't really get more real than results right in front of your face.

If you meant it from a "warriors are going to lose their shit!" point of view then I apologize and you could be right.

It's just more and more clear, to me at least, that the xbone is less powerful that what it was meant to be on the paper. Nobody was expecting that difference in multi titles on launch. Games with unimpressive graphics are not even running in fullhd.. There is something off.
I thought the excuse was incomplete development tools, similar to the PS3 at launch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well, I'm not really implying that myself, it is more the argument that it can't be clocked at 2ghz because of the PS4's form factor. I'm not saying it is, it could be that it has an extra core in use, but considering it is based on a low-power CPU designed for mobile devices, it might be possible.

You're not but a lot of people are and those comments get picked up by those that don't follow tech stuff much. I'm just trying to cut off obnoxious misinformation before it starts.

How the hell are they running 2GHz in a case so slim, I don't see it.

Really?

I can upclock my I5-2400 from 3.1 to 3.9Ghz with a click of a button and it may go up .5 degrees overall.

Anyway, I was hoping this was the case. Sony should of known from the jump the CPU in this system was going to be the one weak spot. So push it as hard as absolutely possible until you began to risk the integrity of the components in the case or the longevity of the system.

I will happily accept a few degrees more temp for more performance any day of the week.

I'm amazed some people are still so ignorant as to think clock speed is what makes a CPU.

I'm amazing people are still so ignorant as to think this is any previous generation. Previous generations, system had different CPU architectures altogether. This is really the first generation where both system have virtually identical internals, with various tweaks in each. CPU wise though, both are the same. So really, the only difference is going to be clock speed and memory bandwidth.

That was from February. It could have changed since then.

yeah, according to these numbers the PS4 CPU(resources available to games) is roughly equivalent to 3.5 cores of that core i7 CPU used in the benchmark. that's not slow by any standards.

Top Bottom