• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subsurface Circular, new short game by Mike Bithell (available now)

kulapik

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/676820/Subsurface_Circular/

$5.99, currently 20% off

A detective stationed on the Subsurface Circular investigates a series of disappearances among the city’s robotic working class. Collect words and phrases, then use them in dialogue puzzles to uncover the world's secrets and determine its future.

Inspired by classic adventure games and modern dialogue systems, Bithell Games has created a single session story which respects your time and your intelligence.

A mature, polished, one-sitting game.
Developed by the award-winning team behind Thomas Was Alone and Volume.
A graphical twist on the classic text-based adventure.
Uses 'Focus Points', a unique vocabulary-based inventory system.
Original soundtrack by Dan le Sac.

Comprehensive art gallery featuring the detailed work that went into this world.

Unlockable ‘BithellBot’, our interactive take on a developer’s commentary.
FAQs

jpg

jpg

Nilua

I'm hyped, loved both Thomas was Alone and Volume. The first is one of my favorite indie games of all time, actually. I will probably buy this today

Gilgamesh

Inspired by classic adventure games and modern dialogue systems, Bithell Games has created a single session story which respects your time and your intelligence.

Ah, a game made Just For Me™

pakkit

Banned
I found myself immune to Thomas Was Alone's charms, and Volume looked generic to me, so I'm immensely pleased to report that Subsurface Circular was a great short treat. It's clever without delighting in its own cleverness (my main issue with TWA), and it stands up as a brief android detective story that unfolds entirely in one subway car.

It reminded me of the Lucas Arts games of yore, where dialogue trees presented their own fair share of puzzle solving. I'm really happy that we're seeing more narrative experiences that really respect gamers' time. For 5 bucks, I say take the dive.

I found myself immune to Thomas Was Alone's charms, and Volume looked generic to me, so I'm immensely pleased to report that Subsurface Circular was a great short treat. It's clever without delighting in its own cleverness (my main issue with TWA), and it stands up as a brief android detective story that unfolds entirely in one subway car.

It reminded me of the Lucas Arts games of yore, where dialogue trees presented their own fair share of puzzle solving. I'm really happy that we're seeing more narrative experiences that really respect gamers' time. For 5 bucks, I say take the dive.

Yeah I just finished it, great little game.

What ending did you choose?

I chose to
kill myself and allow the revolution. People would die either way and this seemed better for both robots and humans. Though now I'm wondering if the low skill job robots losing their purpose is just as bad as what happened to the humans :(

Auctopus

Just finished, took about an hour and a half. Really enjoyed it - loved the aesthetic. Bithell is really developing his own look.

I loved the Emotional Support Detective chapter.

Ending:
Killed myself

pakkit

Banned
Yeah I just finished it, great little game.

What ending did you choose?

I chose to
kill myself and allow the revolution. People would die either way and this seemed better for both robots and humans. Though now I'm wondering if the low skill job robots losing their purpose is just as bad as what happened to the humans :(

I chose that ending as well. Which, if it ends up doing well, could be a great leap forward for science and innovation. And, if it ends up badly could be how The Matrix began.

NovumAngel

Banned
Picked this up on the eShop after hearing nothing but good things about it.

I can say that I agree with the praise that it's getting, the gameplay is simple but engaging thanks to the good writing throughout. It's only about 2 hours long but I felt that the low price point outweighed that.

Top Bottom