• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Subway to stop putting a chemical used in rubber into Its bread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No wonder their bread tastes like garbage an has a terrible texture. This stuff is used almost exclusively in low quality bread products: everything from McDonald's hamburger buns to Wonder Bread white bread. And guess what? Those breads are fucking garbage...and I'm just talking taste and texture. I'm not even considering health implications. Why add shit to something that is inherently simple and good in its original formulation of water, flour, salt, and yeast? You don't have to add anything else. All that other nonsense does is detract from the bread's inherently good qualities. But guess what? Fuck what the customer wants! I need to make a buck and stretch the shelf life of bread to 2 months or more.

I bumped into the owner of the local Subway owner tonight, at a "Whole Foods" type of store. I asked him, "So you don't eat there either?" He just laughed and said "I wondered why you have not been in for a long time"

When the owners don't eat there, well you know the rest....

Durask

Chatter about the use of the additive in food grew in 2011. This week, FoodBabe.com blogger Vani Hari started a petition asking Subway to remove azodicarbonamide from its breads; so far, Hari’s garnered more than 66,000 signatures. The company said it was working on reformulating the recipe before the petition was launched, reported the Associated Press.

Of note, Foodbabe is a nutcase website with rabid idiocy like this:

http://foodbabe.com/2012/07/30/why-its-time-to-throw-out-your-microwave/

Short version: if you microwave water, water molecules line up to say "Hitler".

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Remember kids, don't inhale fresh dough.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/40abcj28.htm

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02652039709374501#.UvRQo4UjquA

Note that even with the extra 1-3μg/kg the EC levels in bread are much lower than the levels found in alcoholic products and a bit less than in soy sauce. It's an accumulative product however so anyone with cancer concerns should probably estimate their total intake.

Worked at a Subway when I was at school, got sick as shit on my first day from the fumes of the shitty bread melting.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
theresverylittlemeatint.jpg

Subway bread is so fucking gross. Mealy, floppy, always seems permanently undercooked. Tastes like garbage. Just... not good.

sn00zer

Boo fucking hoo...chemical agents are used across multitudes of different edible and nonedible products....did you know that Iron in our food is the same element used to construct buildings?

Amalthea

Banned
Boo fucking hoo...chemical agents are used across multitudes of different edible and nonedible products....did you know that Iron in our food is the same element used to construct buildings?
Yeah we're all so whiney and stupid because we can differentiate between chemicals and minerals which our body needs and is able to process and those we don't and might make people sick.

Despera

Banned
The "used in X" line is so fucking bullshit and sensational. If you didn't eat anything that contained stuff used in anything other than food you'd pretty much go hungry.
That statement seemed useless and stupid as fuck to me as well. Sensationalist crap at its worst.

Kevtones

I remember the day where I realized Subway calorie counts DIDN'T include cheese.

flatbread/wheat (pours one out for Omega 3 discontinued)

Foaloal

You know what, I like Subway sandwiches and I've never once thought their bread was bad. I'm not saying they're the best sandwiches ever, but I've had much worse sandwiches and few that were significantly better.

I don't care if it includes a chemical "used in rubber", like everyone else said that kind of line is more about getting attention than anything else.

Now if this chemical is really a possible carcinogen then by all means get rid of it, but otherwise I wouldn't really care.

NekoFever

But does your ass contain any chemicals used in rubber?

Rubber contains carbon, so yes.

The whole "chemical used in x" argument drives me nuts. It's basically the dihydrogen monoxide joke being used as a serious argument. It preys on chemophobia - newsflash: everything is a chemical.

I have no idea how anyone eats Subway. It's terrible -- the worst part has always been the bread so the fact this shit was in it comes as no surprise to me.

Every day I love you less and less.

Subway is good once every couple of months, too expensive for what you get though over here. Even a footlong doesn't even nearly fill my appetite

daxy

Never eat subs at the place anymore, though I like some of them. Past four times I went there I had real bad stomach pain. Certain types of bread have that effect on me and every type of bread at Subway evidently. McDonald's slabs of cardboard I can eat just fine, strangely enough. Usually don't think about what I eat but I stay far away from Subway.

Those cookies tho.

Foaloal

Of note, Foodbabe is a nutcase website with rabid idiocy like this:

http://foodbabe.com/2012/07/30/why-its-time-to-throw-out-your-microwave/

Short version: if you microwave water, water molecules line up to say "Hitler".

The comments on that are brutal.

I had come to believe that electrons are the very sin-ions that contaminated the energy streams of our world and is the basic destructive element of all that this worlds was to thrive on .. and the enemy of Positive energy and true Love which are the building blocks of the quantum acceleration in the cosmos

Things which might appear to be nonsensical, incomprehensible or too mystical to ring true have existed since the beginning of time. Who in 1895 would have believed a man would walk on the moon or that an entire people would be decimated in a genocidal holocaust?

SandTorso

People need to realize that a chemical used in rubber is not rubber. The compound's main use is a flour treatment agent, so it makes dough rise faster and stronger. THIS DOESN'T MEAN IT'S RUBBER.

Frustrated chemist here.

NewFresh

Man, when did chemical become a scary word? I guess it come from a misunderstanding of what and where chemicals are (see:everywhere and everything)

CMDBob

I suppose an upside is that they're finally doing something about it? (Wonder if the UK Subways use this chemical... man, making me hungry for a sub. Might treat myself.)

Utterly disgusting. Can't believe it wasn't prohibited in the first place. Makes me question whether or not the american food production industry values health.

SandTorso

What's more disgusting than the rampant use of chemicals in our food supply?

Of course I'm not serious

Thank god. You would be surprised (or maybe not, if you're as pessimistic about people a I am) how many people would see that image and think bananas are filled with all these toxic chemicals or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom