• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch Scrapping Infamous 2's Cole MacGrath Model.

Tabz

I think they should keep the old Cole,obviously because the new one looks like a completely different character,this just makes things worse for a sequel.A change in hairstyle and/or the suit would be the best thing to do.

Imagine if Tom cruise gets to be the new spiderman.

vg260

BobTheFork said:
It was never even the design or voice I was the most angry about. Sure I didn't like it but when I read that quote in Game Informer 2 months ago about trying to make him more into "Tony Hawk with supers powers" it felt insulting.
It was like they did some market research and said "well we know nobody liked Cole because he doesn't have any dominant traits that sku well with 18-35 year olds"
Trying to make him more cool or hip or Xtreme(tm) or mainstream is just watering down the character. I don't want all of my damn super heroes to throw pithy one-liners or go "WOOOOOOOOO" all the time.
Cole felt real because he was angry, beaten down, left, and even betrayed. He started the game with everything he wanted and ended it with only his own power to believe in. New Cole just wants to chill and cruise and down a Go-Gurt

With you on that. I thought his design in the first one was great because it made perfect sense in the context of the game. Seeing the redesign made my excitement level for the game drop big-time.

Tabz

Irish said:
That would be awesome. Almost as awesome as GI Cole.
tom_cruise_oprah.gif

edgefusion

Segata Sanshiro said:
So we've gone from not-Cole back to Cole.

I'm really shocked how many people that clearly didn't like inFamous are so interested in the particulars of its sequel.

I don't know if that second comment was aimed at me or not but I love inFamous, it's one of my favourite games from the current gen and I'm super excited for the sequel. I really liked the new Cole, he looks dressed for parkour and athletics, as he should be. The old Cole is bulky and silly looking, the only thing he's dressed for is getting wasted outside of Tesco off a bottle of White Lightning.

seady

Design 101:

Listen but don't follow the general public's opinion. Because their limited creative mind and comfort zone tell them they only want more of the same. They don't know what is good until you hand it to them.

RDreamer

Even though I like the new Cole model better than the old one, for the most part, I would feel really weird playing a sequel to a game where the main character looks completely different. There was a weird disconnect in it. I'm not opposed to them tweaking the look a bit but making sure it still looks like the same erson underneath. Only problem with that is that the voice changed, so they should probably keep it kind of close so it doesn't feel that different.

seady

Had this been the first design of Sly Cooper 1:
t1larg.jpg

I am sure people would called this a douchebag if this is in the sequel:
slcop20a.jpg

Blast Processing said:
:lol

What's with all the bike messenger stereotyping in this thread, anyway?
lol well Cole was a bike messenger in the first game and he didn't act like that. IT's the whole Xtreme attitude adjustment I don't care for.

onken

Hey I kinda liked camp Cole, oh well. I didn't really have a problem with the first guy so whatever. As long as the environments aren't so grey and dull this time (which it looks as though they're not) then I'll be happy.

edgefusion said:
. The old Cole is bulky and silly looking, the only thing he's dressed for is getting wasted outside of Tesco off a bottle of White Lightning.

Wtf :lol

hamchan

Well this is very unfortunate. I expected Cole's new look to be a part of his story and character development. I expected them to explain why his personality changed so radically. It was interesting to me.

What a shame they let the fans influence them so much. They should respect their fans but in no way should they let them have so much power.

Irish

hamchan said:
I expected them to explain why his personality changed so radically.

I don't get this. How exactly did his personality change so radically? Each time I've heard new Cole speak, he sounds like his old self personality-wise. Jaded, yet slowly becoming cautiously optimistic. Or were you basing his personality on how he looked.

At first, I was a little disappointed with the new VA, but this cutscene really sold him to me.

hamchan said:
What a shame they let the fans influence them so much. They should respect their fans but in no way should they let them have so much power.
:mad: Well that's what many of us were saying when they changed it in the first place citing 'fan opinion' Now it's what it should be (mostly untouched).
Also I don't think they are just using the stock Character model from the first game. I'm sure it will be a bit different from both designs but closer to the first.

seady said:
Design 101:

Listen but don't follow the general public's opinion. Because their limited creative mind and comfort zone tell them they only want more of the same. They don't know what is good until you hand it to them.

"Instead, listen to the people you have polled who may not have played a videogame in their life. When the majority of people in your targeted demographic say they'd rather play as character B because he seems totally radical, go with that and assume your audience and fanbase are going to prefer this character as well.

When that backfires and you revert back to the original, you should think twice because those of us who prefered the new look are the only ones who are allowed to have an opinion as to how you should design Cole."

edgefusion said:
I don't know if that second comment was aimed at me or not but I love inFamous, it's one of my favourite games from the current gen and I'm super excited for the sequel. I really liked the new Cole, he looks dressed for parkour and athletics, as he should be. The old Cole is bulky and silly looking, the only thing he's dressed for is getting wasted outside of Tesco off a bottle of White Lightning.
That's fine. Dress old Cole up in the new clothes. Let old Cole grow out his hair. I have no problem with any of these things. But they changed literally everything, down to his facial structure. That's not a character revamp, that's a character replacement, and it's freaking weird. If you want to make a new guy and get rid of Cole, then make a new guy and get rid of Cole. I'd miss Cole and they'd have to restart the story, but whatever. If, however, you want to keep telling Cole's story (and it is a very personal story), then the character shouldn't be changed wholesale.

Amir0x

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
That's fine. Dress old Cole up in the new clothes. Let old Cole grow out his hair. I have no problem with any of these things. But they changed literally everything, down to his facial structure. That's not a character revamp, that's a character replacement, and it's freaking weird. If you want to make a new guy and get rid of Cole, then make a new guy and get rid of Cole. I'd miss Cole and they'd have to restart the story, but whatever. If, however, you want to keep telling Cole's story (and it is a very personal story), then the character shouldn't be changed wholesale.

Exactly!

Salsa

This is dumb.

I get fan feedback and its nice and all, but way to believe in your concept. If they wanted to change it, change it. The way that Cole looks is not going to define if people buys the game or not.

Yoboman

Segata Sanshiro said:
It's a videogame not a movie or TV show. It's not a real person, they shouldn't have to stick to the confines of one design

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yoboman said:
It's a videogame not a movie or TV show. It's not a real person, they shouldn't have to stick to the confines of one design
Consistency isn't any less important for fictional characters. If anything it's more important, because the design is such a big part of what makes them memorable. Most cartoon characters never even change their clothes.

Yoboman said:
Oh lord. So you would be okay if in Metal Gear Solid, Snake looked like Snake, then in the next one, Snake looked like Raiden, then in the next one, he looked like an African-American with cornrows, then in part 4, he looked like Zeke from inFamous, all the while everyone calling him Snake and treating him like the same character and acting like nothing's changed?

Consistency is just as important for fictional characters as it is for live acting. Look at comic books. You know, those things that are the inspiration for inFamous?

Irish

See, that's the thing. Old Cole and New Cole looked pretty similar. It's not like one version looked like Genghis Khan and the other one looked like Al Sharpton.

Amir0x

Banned
Irish said:
See, that's the thing. Old Cole and New Cole looked pretty similar. It's not like one version looked like Genghis Khan and the other one looked like Al Sharpton.

I don't think they looked similar at all. I mean they were both white. And, uh, had eyes and a nose and ears and shit...but besides that, they looked like completely different people.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Irish said:
Yeah, it's more like Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle.

Yoboman said:
If they are going to pretend that the new design that looks nothing like the old one is the same guy then what's the point? Just call it a new guy.

X-Frame

Segata Sanshiro said:

+1.

I am so glad to hear this. I never understood how they could justify completely REPLACING Cole with someone who is obviously not Cole.

Of course they're going to update his look, but he still needs to look like the Cole from the first game or else it is just awkward.

Hm.

I wonder how many of the people saying "Goddamnit, I hated the old character design, this new one was great!" were the same people yelling "WHO CARES ABOUT THE CHARACTER DESIGN THE GAMEPLAY LOOKS TIIIIGHT" a few weeks ago.

GreekWolf

If only Monolith had granted us the same favor, instead of destroying their franchise with Linkin Park Ethan and Beyonce Rosa.

Sometimes, the vocal minority will save your ass.

Yoboman

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh lord. So you would be okay if in Metal Gear Solid, Snake looked like Snake, then in the next one, Snake looked like Raiden, then in the next one, he looked like an African-American with cornrows, then in part 4, he looked like Zeke from inFamous, all the while everyone calling him Snake and treating him like the same character and acting like nothing's changed?

Consistency is just as important for fictional characters as it is for live acting. Look at comic books. You know, those things that are the inspiration for inFamous?
The difference isn't nearly as big as that, so stop the unnecessary comparison. All they did was change his face a little and give him hair, and he is hardly an iconic character to begin with so they have the leverage to do that.

ShockingAlberto said:
Hm.

I wonder how many of the people saying "Goddamnit, I hated the old character design, this new one was great!" were the same people yelling "WHO CARES ABOUT THE CHARACTER DESIGN THE GAMEPLAY LOOKS TIIIIGHT" a few weeks ago.

I fucking love you. So perfect.

SalsaShark said:
This is dumb.

I get fan feedback and its nice and all, but way to believe in your concept. If they wanted to change it, change it. The way that Cole looks is not going to define if people buys the game or not.

Yeah, they should have believed in their concept. Listening to a focus group to make those inintial changes was a terrible idea.

Irish said:

Looks radically different to me:

35m0ffl.png

vs.

2wf2rmg.jpg

(again, face shape, eyes, etc.)

Redbeard

Banned
35m0ffl.png

New cole is so much better than old cole

This is ridiculous, Sucker Punch make the character you want, fuck the fanboys that are resistant to any change

Irish

That's another problem. I'm not even sure which is new Cole anymore. Sucker Punch has released screenshots of at least a dozen different versions. My personal favorite was GI Concept Cole. :(

Yoboman said:
The difference isn't nearly as big as that, so stop the unnecessary comparison. All they did was change his face a little and give him hair, and he is hardly an iconic character to begin with so they have the leverage to do that.
You're moving your goalposts, friend. You said:

It's not a real person, they shouldn't have to stick to the confines of one design
so I don't see why my comparison is unnecessary. New Cole and Old Cole are different enough to identifiably be separate people. I would not even confuse them for family. Whether or not he's iconic is irrelevant. Completely switching out the appearance of the character (all the way down to facial structure and age) creates a break in continuity between the two games, and it is totally unnecessary to do so. It's not like there's a contract dispute with old Cole. It's not like old Cole just doesn't have the acting chops to handle the role.

The more I look at new cole, the more he looks like they copied Nathan Drake. At that point, they should have just got Nolan North to do the voice. :lol

Redbeard said:
35m0ffl.png

New cole is so much better than old cole

This is ridiculous, Sucker Punch make the character you want, fuck the fanboys that are resistant to any change

Why, because he's better looking? Why does that matter? If a movie starred Willem Dafoe, are you going to dimiss it because he's no GQ model?

I say fuck the fanboys who are resistant to accept that new Cole breaks continuity. See, I can be just as lame.

Yoboman

Segata Sanshiro said:
You're moving your goalposts, friend. You said:

so I don't see why my comparison is unnecessary. New Cole and Old Cole are different enough to identifiably be separate people. I would not even confuse them for family. Whether or not he's iconic is irrelevant. Completely switching out the appearance of the character (all the way down to facial structure and age) creates a break in continuity between the two games, and it is totally unnecessary to do so. It's not like there's a contract dispute with old Cole. It's not like old Cole just doesn't have the acting chops to handle the role.
Because there is obviously a point where changing the design dramatically is detrimental, you wouldn't do it in something like MGS. Changing a character like Cole's design while they still can is not detrimental to the product when it was so bad to begin with.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
corrosivefrost said:
The more I look at new cole, the more he looks like they copied Nathan Drake. At that point, they should have just got Nolan North to do the voice. :lol

That's what sucks about New Flavor Cole-a. I'm sure he looks "cooler" to some people, but he also looks exactly like EVERY OTHER GUY in every other game like this out right now. He looks like he walked out of a focus testing room.

Nobody is claiming OG Cole is the best character design of all time. He isn't. Not even by half. However, he is actually not as generic as the current standard stock character in every western game.

LOL at people invoking "fanboys resistant to change" arguments for this one. No, sorry guys, this one was just people resistant to boneheaded design decisions.

Yoboman

Kaijima said:
That's what sucks about New Flavor Cole-a. I'm sure he looks "cooler" to some people, but he also looks exactly like EVERY OTHER GUY in every other game like this out right now. He looks like he walked out of a focus testing room.

Nobody is claiming OG Cole is the best character design of all time. He isn't. Not even by half. However, he is actually not as generic as the current standard stock character in every western game.

LOL at people invoking "fanboys resistant to change" arguments for this one. No, sorry guys, this one was just people resistant to boneheaded design decisions.
Bald generic character designs are far more prevalent than Nathan Drake knock-offs

Top Bottom