• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sudeki - fake anime style -100? Fable? Where's the hype wagon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SUDEKI

Read a recent article in the May 3D world mag with the developers of Sudeki; been wondering why so little has been written/discussesd about the title; especailly post E3.

From the 1st time I saw the stills and videos of this game; I really detested the fake anime style that the developers were going for. I can't recall the last time western developers have tried to do this but I found it appalling. This is almost as bad as American cartoons plundering the halls of Japanese Anime for their style/art. Won't comment about gameplay because it could potentially be good. The sudeki art (in game) looks pretty damn bad though; the lead characters looks like badly designed anime characters and in some of the stills in the magazine, the creature design doesn't look too shit hot too.

FABLE

Is there still love for this game or has the hype bandwagon that Molyneux built passed us by. Didn't really hear a lot about this same (see:Sudeki) during E3 and post E3. I was pretty excited about this game, like Last Year. Its mid 2004 now and all the hype/news seems to be gone. And where's the release date? Personally, Lionhead doesn't really have the catchet and historical value so of ther other developer houses have. Lionhead can really develop games which can divide the camp on whether its good or not (Black and White: IMO repetitive and not really engaging).

They should do a Magic Carpet console game.

belgurdo

Banned
How can there be a "fake" anime style, considering eastern animation does not, as a whole, share an art style anyway? "Overproduced" is a better word for it, and even then that's more a result of the the translation from drawings to game, since the concept art looks fine.

ge-man

I agree with Belgurdo--the concept art of Sudeki isn't bad. The modelers on the other hand need to go back to school or something.

I have heard alot of people complain about Sudeki's art style, but I think it will be a moot point when people play it, as it seems like its alot of fun, and impressions have been good... Whats odd is the lack of hype for this game, Microsoft's ads for the game are horrendous in gaming magazines, capitalizing on the cleavage of the main character instead of the game... It should do okay, but MS isnt helping themselves any.

Fable hype has been strong for so long, that now its kind of in a lull.. Alot of people are wanting and anticipating this game, but its release is Sept 1st, I believe, and thats only 3 months away or so, so I think people will just kind of lie low until a week or two before, Fable, go crazy, get the game, and then there will be tons of ITS AMAZING threads and IT F'ING SUCKS threads.

explodet

I think the hype wagon for Fable got a flat tire sometime between here and E3. Not surprising, as it's been travelling down the road for a long, LONG time.

It'll be up and running again very soon, don't you worry.

IgeL

LuckyBrand said:
but I think it will be a moot point when people play it, as it seems like its alot of fun, and impressions have been good...

I completed the 5-hour preview code of Sudeki just before leaving to E3 (it was busy, busy week, yet I found enough time to play it...).

It played good, and interestingly I was very drawn into the world. You can bitch all you want about the art style but at least it's cohesive in its use of colors. The characters seemed ok, and I fell in love with Ailish's (the blue girl) weird voice. The music rocks, too. (The creatures suck, though, except the Ogre you face quite early on.)

I'm sad to see so little hype for Sudeki, especially since its release date is getting nearer (July), and since it's damn good. There must be other people here who've played it, yes?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
IgeL said:
I completed the 5-hour preview code of Sudeki just before leaving to E3 (it was busy, busy week, yet I found enough time to play it...).

It played good, and interestingly I was very drawn into the world. You can bitch all you want about the art style but at least it's cohesive in its use of colors. The characters seemed ok, and I fell in love with Ailish's (the blue girl) weird voice. The music rocks, too. (The creatures suck, though, except the Ogre you face quite early on.)

I'm sad to see so little hype for Sudeki, especially since its release date is getting nearer (July), and since it's damn good. There must be other people here who've played it, yes?

Frankly I've played several builds and thought it was the biggest sack of shit I've played in years. Crap combat, horrible frame-rate, ugly design, stupid logic - oh look, a treasure chest in the middle of a village market! - etc...

I *hate* this game. I honestly see nothing good init. Even the script was a joke - constant inuendo that gets tired so very early on. Each to their own though.

IgeL

boutrosinit said:
Frankly I've played several builds and thought it was the biggest sack of shit I've played in years. Crap combat, horrible frame-rate, ugly design, stupid logic - oh look, a treasure chest in the middle of a village market! - etc...

Ok... I think the combat is alright but pretty basic, yes. I had no frame-rate problems, and design I already covered. I don't care about logic in fantasy games. The script (and the cutscenes in general) sucked a little indeed but I hope they get better. I don't know how well the characters' different skills play together in the final version, or if the monster design gets any better, but I'd give a 9/10 just to the preview build of the game (if it was 2-4x longer).

I guess we'll be seeing a lot of great and bad reviews then. (And I should note that I haven't played much of the genre's best, i.e. Final Fantasy games etc, but I plan to play FFX before starting Sudeki's final version.)

9/10? You sure are generous; for something with bad design and basic gameplay. As for monsters designs getting better by July... I doubt that. The whole game seems so badly designed.

Personally, the one vibe that Sudeki has given me from the start is that its Microsoft's ARPG version of Kaubto Chojin.

IgeL

TheGreenGiant said:
for something with bad design and basic gameplay.
Bad design is your opinion, I think it's good (in motion, with sounds & music).

I rather think Sudeki as an adventure, where the player is free to just enjoy the journey in a wonderful fantasy world. I don't usually care for game storylines, and eventhough Sudeki's isn't all that original, I felt the constant urge to play more.

Seems like I'm the lone target audience for the game... Oh well. At least I know I will enjoy it. :)

pilonv1

It's that time of the month....NPD, HAHA SUDEKI HAS BAD ART IT CANT BE GOOD LET ME HUG MY ANIME PILLOW EASTSIDE FOR LIFE!!!111!, and "fable has been delayed for evar and cannot be good lollerskates".

And where's the release date?

There was a post about the date the other day, I think Fleming started it.

Personally, Lionhead doesn't really have the catchet and historical value so of ther other developer houses have

Personally I think you don't have the cachet and historical value of other posters.

Developer - Big Blue Box Studios.

And while were ragging on Lionhead for a game they're not developing, weren't Populous and Dungeon Master fucking hopeless. That Molyneux is a cad.

Though I've never gotten the 'bad-ass' vibe from what I've seen of this game over the last couple of years, I can still say that I want it all the same. It's an action RPG...and a decent one is rare on consoles anymore.

Fable's gonna be great, I can just feel it!

Ah, fantastic, it's another weekly installment of the Fable Hate Thread. I hope you guys like the taste of crow, the game's going to be great.

Sudeki on the other hand has some fugly arse art style. Looks very generic; it's like the anti-fable!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It just looks cheap, like you're cashing in on the anime hype.

anime hype, lmao

Anime != popular culture, sorry to burst your bubble.

And has already been said the art in sudeki is fine, its the modelling thats terrible.

To me it looks like it'll be ok, not great, which naturally doesnt compute round here as everything has to be A+++++ or 100% crap.

Fable ont he other hand looks like a bucket load of fun, cant wait to play that.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
IgeL said:
Ok... I think the combat is alright but pretty basic, yes.

No dude. It's repetitive, thoughtless and messy. And boring. That bullet time thing would be great if the rest of the combat was tightened up.

I had no frame-rate problems, and design I already covered. I don't care about logic in fantasy games. The script (and the cutscenes in general) sucked a little indeed but I hope they get better.

Maybe they fixed the frame rate for a few section, but it was a joke - worse than Deus Ex Invisi War - hell I nearly got motion sickeness playing - no exagerration.

And the script won't get better now dude. Assets are now locked and it's all about bug testing for those fuckers.

I don't know how well the characters' different skills play together in the final version, or if the monster design gets any better, but I'd give a 9/10 just to the preview build of the game (if it was 2-4x longer).

I think you're being almightily generous in light of the far superior games at the show that do what Sudeki does but with far greater quality. DId you play Jade Empire for instance? or even the far superior Fable? Let me break it down easy for you - Sudeki = Wanabe original Secret of Mana, but doesn't even come close.

I guess we'll be seeing a lot of great and bad reviews then. (And I should note that I haven't played much of the genre's best, i.e. Final Fantasy games etc, but I plan to play FFX before starting Sudeki's final version.)

You owe yourself this much. There are *so* many better games than this farcical crock of a sham of a pile of shit. I absolutely detest that this game is getting any kudos as - for me at least - it personifies everything utterly gay about this industry and piles it all into one game and one big ball of overhype. I hope this tanks fucking hard.

Ghost said:
anime hype, lmao

Anime != popular culture, sorry to burst your bubble.

And has already been said the art in sudeki is fine, its the modelling thats terrible.

That's right! Anime in America is only available at the checkout aisles of obscure fanboy import stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and Safeway! IT'S NEVER GOING TO HIT THE MAINSTREAM, EVER!

And I hate on Sudeki not because it looks like an anime ripoff, but because it looks really atrociously ugly.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
That's right! Anime in America is only available at the checkout aisles of obscure fanboy import stores like Wal-Mart, Target, and Safeway! IT'S NEVER GOING TO HIT THE MAINSTREAM, EVER!

Yeah you can buy 3rd party gamecube games in all of those stores too, doesnt make them popular.

pilonv1

Gunsmoke said:
Sorry to burst my bubble or sorry to disagree ?
How can you say it's not popular ?

It's popular among people who like anime.

It's on kids television all day long,
There's pokemon, yugiou, sailermoon, there's dvd's, jump comics by the truckload
dragon ball Z. . .

It is well documented kids will like anything put in front of them. Look at BeyBladez.

What the hell is Final Fantasy a western inspired RPG?
everyone looks asian with multicolored hair..

What does every dweeb have in his avatar ?

EVERYONE IS NOT LIKE THE INTERNET

Why do people think that what happens on the internet or in forums they visit parallels the real world? You're posting on a gaming forum, you represent the minority of a minority of a minority. Like Anime? Add another minority.

IF THE REAL WORLD WERE LIKE GA

- Today I started my new job, it's pretty good but I hate my boss and the chair I sit in hurts my back. I'm going to quit tomorrow and try another job exactly the same but with a a Japanese company, I'm so excited!

- When I was at the grocery store today I bought a bottle of Pepsi, and so did the guy behind me. That must mean that Pepsi is more popular. How can you say Coke is the market leader? I have first hand IRREFUTABLE PROOF.

Google says there are 53,100,000 references for anime alone.
53million, 1 hundred thousand.

There's only 38,000,000 references for football, and 13,000,000 for NFL. OMG ANIME IS MORE POPULAR THAN FOOTBALL. Suck it down jocks, I'm gonna be popular at school tomorrow!

Some of you people need to walk outside and talk to some people who don't use the internet regularly.

Anyway I'm looking forward to Fable, but with low expectations. That way I figure I'm more likely to be pleansantly surprised.

pilonv1

Ghost said:
Yeah you can buy 3rd party gamecube games in all of those stores too, doesnt make them popular.

laugh.gif

IgeL

boutrosinit said:
No dude. It's repetitive, thoughtless and messy. And boring. That bullet time thing would be great if the rest of the combat was tightened up.
I don't see how that differs from most action games, Otogi for example. In fact, I think the "bullet time" controls truly suck, it's way too hard to target the enemies you want because it's so damn fast and requires very careful thumb control. Otherwise the combat is ok - it actually requires some skillful button mashing to make successful combos. The combat wasn't bothersome in the preview version, except maybe a few excess spiders in the cave.

And the script won't get better now dude. Assets are now locked and it's all about bug testing for those fuckers.
My preview build had technically horrible and bug-ridden cutscenes that will never be allowed in a retail game. I agree some parts of the script itself were bad (basically all cutscenes involving the Queen's Guard) but it did get better after a while.

DId you play Jade Empire for instance?
I followed a 30 min presentation of it, so I guess that counts. It looks good (the mini game is a stupid addition though). However, it has a certain "realism" vibe to it (i.e. no candy colors like Sudeki), which does not interest me. Haven't played Fable.

I still stand by my opinion. I want(ed) to continue playing Sudeki, and that's all that matters to me.

pilonv1

Gunsmoke said:
Well guess what dumb tard

Personal attacks, last saviour of the unimaginative.

This is the real world.

No it's not. It's a message board about games. It's the internet. The real world is outside where 99.9999999999999999999999% of people don't care about anime influencing art style in a video game.

Your whole post is a generalization there is hardly anything factual about it.

cuz there's 1 BILLION chinese alone that read those comics each day to work.

So this figure of 1 Billion reading them is a fact ? You have a source that every one of them reads them on their way to work? Aren't you now generalising? This is the flimsiest argument ever.

Every Sudeki thread gets a visit from the Bad Art Police. It's like someone is trying to infiltrate your secret society and you're doing everything you can to discredit it.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
pilnov and ghost are wrong. if anime isnt popular right now than i have no left foot.

"just because 3rd party nintendo games are sold at htose stores doesnt make them popular"

Okay....except that analogy is totally off base. Anime goods such as DBZ, beyblade, yugio, and so on sell extremely well. Shonen jump gets on average (atleast from november 2003) 300,000 copies sold per month (with a high of 504,000) Manga volumes outsell comics constantly also.

With that said, how many xbox users are there? what percentage of those users watch anime? I'd say that percentage is probably pretty high considering xbox sort of plays to the adult swim crowd.

Right now (in the US) there's not another animated franchise that a developer would rather have over DBZ (well excluding Pokemon :p ). It's the one that has such a massive fan following that no matter what the quality might be it's going to sell an insane amount. So you're going to have a very difficult time trying to argue that anime somehow doesn't matter. Probably the top 3 most succesful animated shows that are games right now in the US are anime based (DBZ, Pokemon and Yugioh).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Anime is popular, sure. Amongst little kids and college "Comic Book Guy" trainees and perhaps the occasional sane well-adjusted youth. But that's it. Anime is not "pop culture." Pokemon is pop culture. Dragonball Z is pop culture. No other anime is, nor is anime as a whole genre.

The only other anime-like influence on pop culture is Adult Swim, but that's still pretty niche in and of itself.

sprsk

MetatronM said:
Anime is popular, sure. Amongst little kids and college "Comic Book Guy" trainees and perhaps the occasional sane well-adjusted youth. But that's it. Anime is not "pop culture." Pokemon is pop culture. Dragonball Z is pop culture. No other anime is, nor is anime as a whole genre.

The only other anime-like influence on pop culture is Adult Swim, but that's still pretty niche in and of itself.

and the xbox userbase *isnt* niche?

belgurdo

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Here is another pathetic attempt to cash in on the Anime wave. . .

Even Atari themselves try to tell you it's the The Next Big Thing from Japan!
When it's clearly from western stock.
http://www.atari.com/us/games/duel_masters_gba_action/

1b.jpg

At least the artwork is better than Sudeki.
A blatent cash in trying to ride on the success of yugioh.
pathetic.

Actually, it's mocking Yugioh, from what I've read at other message boards (it still got fairly popular despite the fact.)

And if you honestly think this looks better than Sudeki, then you seriously need some glasses.

MetatronM said:

Well that demographic you just described is what demographic? Yep the one of gamers which is what should matter if you're talking about what will or won't sell to them.

And that Duel Masters show isn't mocking Yugioh. I actually watched it and it's quite serious and very scary with it's PSone level CG summons.

pilonv1

I'm not arguing it's relative popularity, it's carved out a nice market for itself. However as MetatronM says, it's still pretty niche outside of the big 3 kids titles.

But back on topic, to claim it's an anime cash in is a big stretch. It's just Microsofts easiest effort to get a big budget Eastern style RPG on the console.

IgeL said:
My preview build had technically horrible and bug-ridden cutscenes that will never be allowed in a retail game. I agree some parts of the script itself were bad (basically all cutscenes involving the Queen's Guard) but it did get better after a while.

sprsk

pilonv1 said:
But back on topic, to claim it's an anime cash in is a big stretch. It's just Microsofts easiest effort to get a big budget Eastern style RPG on the console.

Or to just cash in on the anime fad. Most people who play eastern rpgs are gonna look at this and be like "wtf is this shit" cause the rpg genre is even MORE niche than anime xbox gc and whatever combined. I'd say 90% of all eastern rpg players watch anime religiously, and will see right through this game.

pilonv1 said:

Umm. True Fantasy Live. I guess Microsofts pockets just wasn't deep enough. And that one was online too.

Its an anime cash in. Why the hell would a western developer for art style that is DISTINCTIVELY japanese is beyond me. I should scan the development pics but I don't know what the policy on that is. It went from Big Headed Anime munts to Tall, Big Eyed Anime Munts. I pretty much gagged when I saw these.

CASH IN. MOo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom