• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sugar with your coffee this christmas?

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50628962

That is ridiculous tbh, never would have guessed at that amount of calories. I don't usually get much coffee etc. but on the off chance I would have picked up a little treat, certainly makes you think. All I want for christmas is .....diabetes

_109985713_sugary_hot_drinks_infographic640-nc.png

Starbucks is a dessert shop masquerading as a cafe.

I don’t disagree, but I do enjoy their black nitro cold brew (none of the sweet stuff added, no milk or anything, just BLACK) quite a bit. I drink one every work day.

some—err, most of that stuff is just off the charts with sugar tho. Remember a couple years ago when they were selling those Lisa Frank Frappuccinos? Wasn’t a grande like, AT LEAST 3 snickers bars worth of sugar? Not my jam

Virex

Banned
That's why so many people as fat. They consume so much sugar and no exercise. I used to be over weight as well and cut down my coffee, sugar and got some exercise. It's been years now that I've been the correct weight and healthy. Feels great.

JSoup

Banned

Dutch Bros is the same thing, but cheaper, quicker, tends to hire cuter guys and will put a chilled Red Bull in anything.
What I'm saying is I go to Dutch Bros too often, but it's not my fault, there are like three in my city with two more being built.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I only ever knew cafes as dessert shops though. You might be able to get a black coffee, but everything else is just an obscene combination of fat and sugar.

DESTROYA

Thats why I drink coffee with no sugar and black, like my heart.
I don’t need no fancy drink just a large ice-coffee and im good to go.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Woah so it turns out that all those sugary drinks people buy because they're sweet and loaded with sugar are actually FULL of sugar??

Funnily, my town refused to allow a McDonalds because it was deemed too unhealthy and bad for the kids. Any guesses where they all hang out instead? :unsure:

Last edited:

ROMhack

My daughter likes hot chocolate. Come to think of it so did I when i was a child.

I had a hot choccy this morning. Was delicious.

That said, this is a bit like the sugar tax. We in the UK had an issue with people not realising that sugar is bad for you so they went ahead and reduced the amount of sugar in everything. Was a pain in the butt for people like me who would enjoy a nice ice-cold deliciously sugary bottle of coca-cola once every three months as a treat.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I stopped going to Starbucks a few holidays ago. I realized I am better than the baristas at making a pourover, so it wasn't really making much sense for me to pay a third of the cost of a bag of beans for one shitty coffee.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I like iced coffee, Japanese style. One little creamer thingy, one little pod of gum syrup, and cold brew. I don't think those little Japanese gum syrup pods have excessive calories.

The American idea of an iced coffee is an abomination.

Last edited:

Tranquil

If you drink of one those every day yeah that's no good but most people know these are filled with sugar right? They only drink these every now and then right? That's what I've always assumed anyway.

I love to make a strong cup of coffee and place it in the fridge for an hour or two and then take it out and place a few scoops of chocolate and vanilla bean ice cream to make the best coffee shake you'll ever taste. But I only do that 3 or 4 times a year.

Last edited:

TindalosPup

I've never been a Starbucks fan, I bought a frappuccino once to see what the fuss was about, did not like it and felt ripped off.

Sugar is scarily ever present in American foods and beverages. It's addictive, and food companies put it in everything to ensure sales and profit.

Breakage

Yeah, those teaspoon numbers are crazy.
I've long preferred instant coffee with milk and no sugar. I can't imagine what those drinks taste like.
It must be sickly sweet.

Top Bottom