• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suggest me PC VR games!

After years of waiting, VR to me has finally become affordable and convenient to set up. My Lenovo Explorer WMR headset arrived yesterday from eBay and I am now looking for some game suggestions. So far I've purchased Pavlov VR & Super Hot VR and I am waiting for a further discount on Boneworks, Half-Life Alyx and Beat Saber.

So Gaf, what should I check out?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Welcome to the fold. Before playing bigger games do all the tutorials (idk what WMR/Microsoft have in regards to that as the Mixed Reality Portal stuff aren't playable for other brands of VR), try mini games like The Lab, get a feel for it :)
And here is a preliminary, not necessarily updated with all the latest things (so, just participate in the thread, duh) list of VR games I can basically recommend, obviously always depending on your preferences (and excluding obvious must have shit like Beat Saber and Half-Life: Alyx):

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners is an immersive sim-lite with great action & some resource scavenging.

Budget Cuts is a stealth puzzle adventure series with nicely integrated teleport mechanics.

Apex Construct is a sci fi immersing adventure game with archery action at its core.

Stormland is an open world shooter, more limited than it seems at first but still fun as hell.

The Room VR is a wonderful continuation of the famous puzzle adventure series, perfectly adapted to VR!

The Thrill of the Fight is a true boxing sim, if less fancy than the gamey Creed and its Rocky license.

Journey of the Gods is a Zelda-lite linear action adventure that's simple but polished and works really well.

Pistol Whip is the new kid on the rhythm game block, I love it like it’s a funky musical Virtua Cop-like.

Drop Dead is a fun riff on The House of the Dead, not nearly as tight but maybe the best of the genre in VR.

In Death is an archery based rogue-lite I spent many hours in early on despite the limited scope.

SUPERHOT VR is a puzzle action shooter with cool slow motion mechanics. Be like Neo!

Racket Fury is a very polished table tennis game, the realism is surreal at first despite the sci fi theme.

Catch & Release is a fishing game. Who doesn’t like fishing? I want Twilight Princess fishing in VR now.

Moss is a third person action adventure, you lead a sword wielding mouse as if in a diorama of a fairy tale.

Down the Rabbit Hole is yet another fairy tale adapted to VR, with its own twists, turns and unique style.

Asgard's Wrath is a made-for-VR action RPG with a Viking theme that many gamers enjoyed.

Space Junkies is a PVP zero gravity arena FPS, like Quake in space, great for some instant action.

Ultrawings is a flight game, not quite a sim, maybe a bit like pilot wings, goals and stuff to get through.

Windlands 2 is an action adventure with not-web-swinging and archery, it’s also co-op capable.

Vox Machinae is a PVP focused giant mech combat game with awesome interactive cockpits.

Raw Data is probably the best of the arena/wave shooters with different classes, progression & co-op.

Onward is my favorite “standard” FPS, PVP focused, some co-op & the best feel/controls for weapons/gadgets.

Lone Echo is a must play astronaut adventure, the free PVP Echo VR and its $10 Combat DLC rock too!

Red Matter is another sci fi adventure with a different spin than the above and great interactions.

Blade & Sorcery has the best physics based melee combat but doesn’t yet have progression etc.

V-Racer Hoverbike is a cool futuristic racer where you can lean to realistically control your jet moto thing.

There are many other great games, early access or otherwise. I like where Vengeful Rites is going as a VR RPG action adventure with sword wielding, spell casting, the works and there’s also the free-for-now A Township Tale alpha to try for some online rpging/surviving/crafting alongside social playgrounds like Rec Room, VRChat, even Bigscreen. VTOL VR is a great indie combat flight sim with wonderfully interactive cockpits. There are also ports of non-VR games or games that are both for VR and regular play, as long as you like the base games. Titles like Skyrim VR, No Man’s Sky, DCS, Elite Dangerous, DiRT Rally 1 & 2, PayDay 2, IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad and others were converted very well. Some like Fallout 4 VR weren’t as successful however so some caution is necessary. Others have been converted by fan modifications, MotherVR is a great mod for Alien Isolation, without hand tracking, while the same creator is working on ReclaimerVR, a mod for Halo: The Master Chief Collection that will include that and another guy works on an Outer Wilds mod with hand tracking as well, it's looking pretty sweet. Quake VR is also pretty damn amazing.
And I'm sorry to say this but, for other users that may be inspired, I hope you didn't overpay. It wasn't the most premium WMR kit when it launched (though all have similar core capabilities so functionally you're fine) and more/better brand versions are also heavily discounted, ie Samsung Odyssey or HP Reverb (not the new G2).

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Do you guys and gals know of any VR game to exercise at home without getting bored? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I was thinking about saber or something boxing related, but maybe you know of something better.

Kadayi

Banned
Boneworks look really cool

You could also try NMS VR, although i've no idea how it is in terms of performance and QoL

+1 to NMS

I got my Rift S for that and no regrets. Make sure you change the movement from the teleport BS though, because that is wack.

GymWolf

Do you guys and gals know of any VR game to exercise at home without getting bored? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I was thinking about saber or something boxing related, but maybe you know of something better.
If you like boxe, thrill of the fight is by far the best one, and you are gonna sweat like a bitch.

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member

I think I'd give Until You Fall my highest recommendation. Incredible soundtrack, really well done combat system in a roguelike with lots of variety thanks to unlocks with tons of weapon choices and upgrades. You'll get a workout without even realizing it.

KevinHelpUs

Neo Member
Subnautica has a full VR mode, and it was how I played the game the first time. Given your character would be wearing goggles the whole time, it actually feels more canonical to have a VR headset strapped to your face. I highly recommend!

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I think I'd give Until You Fall my highest recommendation. Incredible soundtrack, really well done combat system in a roguelike with lots of variety thanks to unlocks with tons of weapon choices and upgrades. You'll get a workout without even realizing it.

I have this one! But it doesn´t run perfect on my GTX 1060, so I might leave that one for when I have a new comp.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

INC

Recroom is a must, its free, the paintball is legit

Google earth

Bigscreen

pistol whip

Crisis VRigade 1+2

Shooters, pavlov, onward, contractor's

Wonko_C

Comfortable seated games to start out with and get used to VR:

-Tetris Effect (Connected expansion is coming in a couple of weeks)
-Pixel Ripped 1989 and its sequel, Pixel Ripped 1995.
-Paper Beast
-Moss
-Pinball FX2 VR

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Lone Echo -- Amazing locomotion and interactivity, AAA production values, great story
Asgard's Wrath -- 30+ hour action RPG that really uses the medium well
Mage's Tale -- Riff on classic dungeon RPGs in the Bard's Tale universe. More linear than BT, but fun.
Trover Saves the Universe -- Average-ish game elevated by being absolutely hilarious. Essential for Rick and Morty fans.
Polyubius and Moose Life -- Psychedelic retro-arcade shooters that will melt your face clean off. Playable drugs.
Rez and Tetris Effect -- Especially if you smoke weed, these are beautiful. Aesthetic overload.
Wilson's Heart -- story driven, linear kind of game. Uses node-teleport and has kind of limited interactivity but it's a solid 8 hours single player game with a cool story and a ton of atmosphere.

Boneworks look really cool

You could also try NMS VR, although i've no idea how it is in terms of performance and QoL

NMS is good, but it's a lot. Like it's a complicated game that you probably don't play in short bursts, so it's not my favorite.

Keihart

Roboreccall it's one of my favorites, Onwards used to be cool with the realistic loading of guns and all and Lone Echo for that narrative inmersive experience... Wilson's Heart it's also really good.

Kadayi

Banned
NMS is good, but it's a lot. Like it's a complicated game that you probably don't play in short bursts, so it's not my favorite.

0fc24d8e85ba8aa579c1ca91070f9a76.jpg
+
615vgorh3QL._AC_SX466_.jpg
=
willsmith-1.jpg

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
Elite Dangerous did it for me. The sheer size of planets and stars when coming out of warp right in front of them made my stomach and soul float, it's a wake up call that keeps waking you up, in a good way, if you can stomach that kind of thing, it's frightening and rewarding

TrainedRage

Banned
Get Pistol Whip, it’s like super hot but on rails with music.

If you like racing games Project Cars 2 is great in VR.

Half Life Alyx is a great AAA style game.

And I actually would recommend a ’game’ called VR Paradise. It’s like a virtual strip club where you can edit the girls and change how they look and what they wear. You can get private dances where they are fully nude. It’s a really fun experience.

Romulus

Elite Dangerous did it for me. The sheer size of planets and stars when coming out of warp right in front of them made my stomach and soul float, it's a wake up call that keeps waking you up, in a good way, if you can stomach that kind of thing, it's frightening and rewarding

I show this to people in VR, it literally boggles their mind. You cannot comprehend the sheer size of planets until you try it in VR. You think you know, but don' that a fucking clue. The other problem is people think VR is "just a screen close to your eyes" until they realize its so, so much more.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I bought Alyx on Steam sale yesterday while waiting for my Reverb G2. Kinda surprised it wasn't mentioned here already.

ED is one of the absolute top VR experiences out there. Sadly I eventually sold my Vive and bought an Oculus DK2 (long story..) but the experience was completely ruined by the DK2's color-banding. Elite Dangerous is one of the games I'm really looking forward to going back to when I get my new headset.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If you like racing, IRacing and Dirt Rally are both really good in VR, much better than playing on a monitor.

Assetto Corsa is another good option. The sequel not so much as it’s more limited in content and your pc will struggle more.

Top Bottom