• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Suicidal"...was replaced with "in denial" for the song "Beautiful Girls"

plushyp

...was replaced with "in denial" for the song "Beautiful Girls". It is the debut single by reggae-influenced musician Sean Kingston when he was 17. The song samples Ben E. King's classic "Stand by Me". The song is about a boy who feels “suicidal” (or "in denial" in the edited version) over being unable to be with a "beautiful girl". The edited version also changed the line "Damn all these beautiful girls" to "Man, all these beautiful girls", and "When I went away for doing my first crime" became "When I'd rush back just to see you in time". It is Kingston's signature song released 15 years ago in May 2007.

Lyrics:
You're way too beautiful girl
That's why it'll never work
You have me suicidal, suicidal
When you say it's over
Damn all these beautiful girls
They only wanna do you dirt
They'll have you suicidal, suicidal
When they say it's over

See it started at the park
Used to chill after dark
Oh when you took my heart
That's when we fell apart
'Cause we both thought
That love last forever (last forever)
They say we're too young
To get ourselves sprung
Oh we didn't care
We made it very clear
And they also said
That we couldn't last together (last together)

See it's very defined
You're one of a kind
But you mash up my mind
You ought to get declined
Oh Lord
My baby is driving me crazy

When you say it's over
When they say it's over

It was back in '99
Watchin' movies all the time
Oh when I went away
For doin' my first crime
And I never thought
That we was gonna see each other (see each other)
And then I came out
Mami moved me down south
Oh I'm with my girl
Who I thought was my world
It came out to be
That she wasn't the girl for me (girl for me)

See it's very defined
You're one of a kind
But you mash up my mind
You have to get declined
Oh Lord
My baby is driving me crazy

When you say it's over
When they say it's over

Now we're fussin'
And now we're fightin'
Please tell me why
I'm feelin' slighted
And I don't know
How to make it better (make it better)
You're datin' other guys
You're tellin' me lies
Oh I can't believe
What I'm seein' with my eyes
I'm losin' my mind
And I don't think it's clever (think it's clever)

You're way too beautiful, girl
When you say it's over
Damn, all these beautiful girls
They'll have you suicidal, suicidal, suicidal, suicidal

ultrazilla

ok..........................

giphy.gif

Reminds me of the Black Eyed Peas' "Let's Get It Started", where the original lyrics were way more edgy. In both cases, the radio-friendly versions seem superior; they let more people enjoy the songs about the near-universal experiences of: 1) getting rejected in a relationship and 2) getting some sort of thing started without getting put off.

Also, why did you make this thread, Plushyp?

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

This date in history

(30 Apr 1945) When Leipzig was captured inside the City Hall was found the bodies of the Lord Mayor, Dr Kurt Lisso, his wife and daughter. All three had committed suicide by taking poison.

Drew1440

Reminds me of the Black Eyed Peas' "Let's Get It Started", where the original lyrics were way more edgy. In both cases, the radio-friendly versions seem superior; they let more people enjoy the songs about the near-universal experiences of: 1) getting rejected in a relationship and 2) getting some sort of thing started without getting put off.

In some ways I prefer the original, I guess they never expected to release it as a single but they liked the beat itself so they changed the lyrics.

Soodanim

You didn’t even post the edited version.

Songs get edits all the time, the only difference as time goes on is that the list of words gets longer for some places. I’m sure “Damn” censoring is more an American thing than anywhere else.

Also, if it’s a censored version sang by Kingston himself, it was almost certainly done at the time of recording, as instructed by his record label, to ensure maximum radio playtime even in the most conservative places and child-friendly contexts.

Somewhat related, I’ve been rewatching Sunny and in their clip episode they censor things originally said without censor. Two episodes, both accessible on Netflix, one censored and one not. I should be grateful one isn’t censored.

plushyp

Mainly it's been 15 years since this song was released and it was coincidence that I came across it on YT. It was also happy clickbait but sadly the mods changed the title and took all the clickbait out of it.

You didn’t even post the edited version.
I was going to but then I wanted everyone to go on the endless YT search spiral that helps find old songs randomly. It's how I found this one.

Top Bottom