• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide bomber hits stadium in Iraqi city, killing 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
BAGHDAD — A suicide bomber blew himself up in a soccer stadium south of the Iraqi capital on Friday, killing 29 people and wounding 60, security officials said.

The bombing took place during a match in the small stadium in the city of Iskanderiyah, 30 miles (50 kilometers) from Baghdad, the officials said. Medical officials confirmed the death toll. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but the Islamic State group has been waging a campaign of suicide bombings in and around the capital as Iraqi forces and their allies battle the militants in the north and west of the country.

The bombing came as Iraqi military spokesman Yahya Rusoul announced that Iraqi troops and Sunni tribal fighters recaptured the western town of Kubeisa from the Islamic State group. The assault was part of operations aimed at rolling back the militants in Iraq’s Sunni-majority Anbar province after government forces retook the provincial capital of Ramadi in February.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...15b402-f27c-11e5-a2a3-d4e9697917d1_story.html

Must be ISIS, they targeted a football stadium in Paris too.

Update:

Death toll up to 60 according to some sources.
ISIS claimed responsibility and praises this child / teenager as the martyr:

@Rita_Katz

Vjk2uRo.jpg

Breaking: #ISIS claims the suicide bombing in al-Iskandariyah,#Baghdad, by SaifAllah al-Ansari, killing 60+

A video is circulating of the moment of the explosion: https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/713437776776134656 (video not NSFW, photos of victims above the video probably are though)

ISIS Suicide Bomber in Iraq Kills Dozens at Soccer Game - The New York Times
Islamic State militants claimed responsibility for the attack, in the town of Iskandariya in Babil Province, through the group’s affiliated news agency, Al Amaq

The attack, which also wounded at least 71 people, struck a large crowd gathered for a game sponsored by Asaib Ahl al-Haq, a powerful Shiite militia that has ties to Iran and has been at the forefront of fighting against the Islamic State, also known as ISIL or ISIS

Elitist1945

Really sad how now when I see stories like this I just go "Well there's another one". Hope this shit stops soon, its becoming too common.

I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way.

Walpurgis

Banned
Whoa. RIP to the victims. I hope these sort of attacks become less frequent as the Iraqi government and Sunni tribes push ISIS out.

I wonder what the level of security is for sports gatherings in Iraq.

Valhelm

contribute something
Fuck IS.

I believe Iraq needs a hawkish or almost fascist state to counter this shit out

Problem is, Iraq has literally never had a viable military. Saddam was so scared of a coup that he refused to properly train his army, and every American attempt to build a muscular Iraqi puppet state has failed.

Death toll up to 60 according to some sources.
ISIS claimed responsibility and praises this child / teenager as the martyr:

@Rita_Katz

Vjk2uRo.jpg

Breaking: #ISIS claims the suicide bombing in al-Iskandariyah,#Baghdad, by SaifAllah al-Ansari, killing 60+

A video is circulating of the moment of the explosion: https://twitter.com/zaidbenjamin/status/713437776776134656 (video not NSFW, photos of victims above the video probably are though)

ISIS Suicide Bomber in Iraq Kills Dozens at Soccer Game - The New York Times
Islamic State militants claimed responsibility for the attack, in the town of Iskandariya in Babil Province, through the group’s affiliated news agency, Al Amaq

The attack, which also wounded at least 71 people, struck a large crowd gathered for a game sponsored by Asaib Ahl al-Haq, a powerful Shiite militia that has ties to Iran and has been at the forefront of fighting against the Islamic State, also known as ISIL or ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom