• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suikoden games are on sale on PSN for $3 each (or less)

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Thanks! Just went to buy the first one, since I've been meaning to buy that for ages, and it turns out I already did. Great.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Never played these. Which one would be best for a noob to start with? The first?
The first and second game form a pair (including save file transfer) and the rest are standalone, though they all take place in the same kingdom afaik (except for Tierkreis iirc which isn't one of the games on sale anyway). I'm loath to recommend the first because if you only play one game, it should be Suikoden II. That said, if you plan to try to first and then move on to the second, may as well play the first.

My access to the PS store is blocked from work. Can you list which games and how much please?
Suikoden 1 is $1.79.

2, 3, and 4 are $2.99.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played through Suikoden II on my Vita and it was a wonderful experience. It was like having a portable PS1 in my hands. I'm shocked that a lot of people don't realize this.

Mihos

Gold Member
Suikoden is one of those games everyone should have at least played once.

Suikoden 2 is my favorite and would be my suggestion if your only going to try one of them

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I already bought them when they were first released on the PSN Store (except for IV). :T

KiteGr

I have a physical copy of S5!

Apparently it's among the best along with S2...
S3 never reached Europe, S2 costs a fortune and S1 transfer it's saves to S2, so I've got those 3 on PSN.
S3 was a good example of them porting previously NTSC games into PAL territories on PSN. They ported Very few, mostly unknown, games and they've stopped just as quickly, so until today the best way to get access to most retro region coded games in Europe is through Piracy.

Last edited:
Well, Sony should really make those PS1 and PS2 classics playable on the PS4, their current "backward compatibility" setup is worse than what MS has with the Xbox ant their delivery is worse than that of Nintendo does with their own back catalog.

Tako Ou

Banned
Well, Sony should really make those PS1 and PS2 classics playable on the PS4, their current "backward compatibility" setup is worse than what MS has with the Xbox ant their delivery is worse than that of Nintendo does with their own back catalog.
I share this frustration !
I don't want to plug the PS3 back in just to play some Suikoden...

But I think I will. Soon. I am weak. Help.

WindomURL

Dammit, ok. Just hooked my ps3 back up last week, and I've only watched a friend play 2 and 4 a bit, so I guess I have no excuse.

I share this frustration !
I don't want to plug the PS3 back in just to play some Suikoden...

But I think I will. Soon. I am weak. Help.
I have a PC plugged in on the TV, I mainly use it for media consumption and that kind of thing - but I would much rather get an official solution (assuming it's any good).

Pallas

Gold Member
Instant buy if these were available on the PS4. I don’t know why Sony doesn’t make their entire PS1-PS2 digital catalog available on the PS4.

Pallas

Gold Member
Nah PS4 isn't powerful enough to emulate PS1 games.

I honestly wish I knew their reasoning, then maybe I wouldn’t be so confused as to why it hasn’t happened.

I used to think it was because they wanted people to buy into PSNow.

ookami

I wish I didn't already have Suikoden 1 & 2 on multiple hardware. Just to buy them again.
Now... If Konami could release those two on Switch, I'd gladly dip in again.

But... Well. Considering their development studio might be a ghost town right now, porting those games might be technically too hard for them.

psygn0sis

I honestly wish I knew their reasoning, then maybe I wouldn’t be so confused as to why it hasn’t happened.

I used to think it was because they wanted people to buy into PSNow.

I read some time ago that porting PS2 games to PS4 was a very frustrating experience because adding features like Share Play, trophies etc... required six months of work more or less.
People keep complain to Sony (and Nintendo in a certain way) for BC support but truth is that few people buy old games which aren't named Crash, Spyro, Kingdom Hearts etc... It's not worth their attention (see also original XBOX support on One)

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Some of my favorites ever. Own all the Suikoden games physically. 2 is definitely my favorite but 1 and 5 are amazing as well. 3 is no slouch either, but I don’t love it as much as others do. Really underrated soundtracks.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
How good is Suikoden 2?

I would say its ranked in the top 10 JRPGs on the PS1. The characters are interesting and there's a lot of them to recruit/find. I actually cared about what happened to the main cast. The plot is easy to enjoy and it feels very mature at times (even by today's standards). The battle system is rewarding. Out of all the Suikoden game(s) I've played, 2 is my favorite. Its very well made and the flow of the game is great. If you're willing to play a JRPG then Suikoden II is definitely worth it. Lots of places to discover and areas to venture off to.

How good is Suikoden 2?
For starters, it's got brilliant sprite work and a fantastic soundtrack. The story starts strong and delivers plenty of poignant moments. Also it has one of the most memorable villains in the entire realm of JRPGs. It doesn't take forever to beat and recruiting people gives a very satisfying sense of progression. If you can stomach some dull dungeons and a few sections where the pacing slows down, you'll probably enjoy it a lot. Definitely fits in a top 10 PS1 JRPGs with other giants of the genre.

Paltheos

How good is Suikoden 2?

Good but generally overrated. The script and direction are as good as people say. The folks at Konami had a pulse on presenting an interesting story, but they screwed up a bunch of little things-

The game never convinces me Riou is a charismatic leader- He starts out as a kid at the start of the game and his portrait does him no favors. Army battles are pre-determined and once the illusion of your efforts mattering is shattered they're just a chore to deal with. The game arbitrarily locks you out of using certain characters sometimes. The Buddy Attack skill trivializes a significant segment of the encounters. And the actual adventure part of the RPG varies in quality, usually for the worse: Probably the worst example I can think of is sending the leader of the revolutionary army on a stealth mission into a library town to get one guy.

Allot of these things are done by the first game better. I think Suikoden 2's missteps are an attempt to write a more engaging story but some of the choices have aged particularly poorly.

Edit: Also, allowing multiple runes per character is too much imo.

Last edited:

Corrik

Good but generally overrated. The script and direction are as good as people say. The folks at Konami had a pulse on presenting an interesting story, but they screwed up a bunch of little things-

The game never convinces me Riou is a charismatic leader- He starts out as a kid at the start of the game and his portrait does him no favors. Army battles are pre-determined and once the illusion of your efforts mattering is shattered they're just a chore to deal with. The game arbitrarily locks you out of using certain characters sometimes. The Buddy Attack skill trivializes a significant segment of the encounters. And the actual adventure part of the RPG varies in quality, usually for the worse: Probably the worst example I can think of is sending the leader of the revolutionary army on a stealth mission into a library town to get one guy.

Allot of these things are done by the first game better. I think Suikoden 2's missteps are an attempt to write a more engaging story but some of the choices have aged particularly poorly.

Edit: Also, allowing multiple runes per character is too much imo.
Suikoden 1 and Suikoden 2 are basically the cream of the crop of JRPGs. They should be in every top 10 list for RPGs. (Arguably top 5). And Suikoden 2 should be in the top 3 for everyone who has played a plethora of RPGs.

Your complaint about buddy attacks is literally something you never even have to use if you don't want to. They are supposed to be overpowered at the start between two main characters for a reason.

Mondai

How do I access can’t find them on the PS4 only on the ps website and it won’t let me buy them from there.

Top Bottom