• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maybe I missed something, but while the topic of doing that certainly came up on the good guys' side, wasn't it the antagonists who set fire to it themselves to frame Nobuna?

Yeah, it was, but I just thought that it being mentioned by Nobuna at all was disappointing in light of how she'd been developed to that point.

/XX/

Your character designs should still have some soul. This it's easier to animate explenation can I accept for the KyoAni in-house style but that's just one step away from the QUALITY Welcome to the NHK episodes.
Well, yeah. I think they should struck a balance too. Anyway, maybe we are anticipating events given we have seen little on how the characters interact, isn't it? Could be that watching them in their context and showing their personalities with the help of that animation can make us both change of opinion, be it one way or the other.

No, he's not. The episodes that follow the Festival arc are great and the way it continues developing the characters and their relationships is really enjoyable to watch. Some of the best episodes in the show come out of the post-Festival stuff.
I agree. The change of pace on the previous arc was good, and after that the sweet tension on that relationship between Chitanda and Oreki kicked into high gear from episode 19 and onwards. It was lovely.

Branduil

I love Gonzo. A lot of older shows I really enjoyed were gonzo shows licensed by Geneon.

Glass Fleet is certainly a work without parallel.

iWtCQkGh1bHY6.gif

Jex

No, he's not. The episodes that follow the Festival arc are great and the way it continues developing the characters and their relationships is really enjoyable to watch. Some of the best episodes in the show come out of the post-Festival stuff.

You're right about that, Hyouka certainly goes from strength-to-strength after the School Festival Arc, even if I don't really care for the helicopter-episode.

Of course, some people go even further than that and claim that now the whole show is good because of the really well realised character development, but as far as I'm concerned a lot of those earlier episodes are extremely boring.

I also want to make a note of the people who've liked Hyouka since the begining: I'm not forgetting you, but you have no relevance to this whole "the show got better after episode X" discussion.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
11.5 was when Hyouka went from good to "seminal, classic" status anyway. The film arc is still one of the best character studies I've seen this year, next to Louie's Letterman arc that just finished.

trejo

Well that's just not true.

At the very least in Oreki's case.

In your opinion, that is. In my opinion, he was no more than a dull character in a dull show whith some dull character development.

Y'know, it's probably not a good thing when side characters with only a modicum of screentime are more memorable and enjoyable to watch than your entire main cast combined.

edit: Oh snap, here comes Brandy with them TRUTH bombs!

Jarmel

Banned
11.5 was when Hyouka went from good to "seminal, classic" status anyway. The film arc is still one of the best character studies I've seen this year, next to Louie's Letterman arc that just finished.

11.5 had the same damn issue with the mystery being garbage. Yes it focused primarily on Oreki but they shoehorned in a trivial mystery even by the show's standards.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
11.5 had the same damn issue with the mystery being garbage. Yes it focused primarily on Oreki but they shoehorned in a trivial mystery even by the show's standards.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the mysteries are to Hyouka as the medical cases are to House. They're not the point of the show.

I do appreciate that the mysteries are "boring", but that's a function of Japan's otaku being man-babies who can't or won't watch/read/buy stories about adults doing adult things.

Jex

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the mysteries are to Hyouka as the medical cases are to House. They're not the point of the show.

I do appreciate that the mysteries are "boring", but that's a function of Japan's otaku being man-babies who can't or won't watch/read/buy stories about adults doing adult things.

It's funny that you make that comparison because House is, of course nothing more than a rather thinly veiled Sherlock Homes, a work with Hyouka is happy to partly pay reference too. The problem with the comparison to Hyouka is that, while the mysteries are certainly not the 'point' of the work, they are nevertheless important. In a murder-mystery there has been a murder, in House the patient is going to die if House doesn't work what's wrong with them. This is why they're completely different to Hyouka's "I wonder why that window was open?" type mystery. The mysteries of Hyouka are so banal that they hurt.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Eureka Seven AO 22

I cannot present to you how bullshit this show is now and how freaking moronic it has become. We all knew it was going horrible after episode 14 but I never thought it would reach this point. Despite the awesome fight scenes, the narrative is absolutely unsalvageable at this point. There is literally no going back and after this episode, it pretty much solidified what direction this show is taking. Everything that people loved about E7 is pretty much shat on all over. The movie was disappointing to many people and even as an anime movie it's disappointing but it's nowhere near the level of disappointment that AO is. It's absolutely horrendous in trying to pace it out. They try to go for revelations when in reality they feel like asspulls, and the greatest asspull has yet to be had until this episode. It's pretty much dumb fanfic that someone wrote and thought it'd be a great idea.

Renton is back but his design is sort of lacking. Sure he's grown and that means he's changed but there is no semblance of what he used to be at all. Other than his face, he's barely recognizeable. His hair style is questionable. His wear is okay, and sure he has swag but he's not Renton-like at all. He's grittier, much more stern. The voice doesn't help since BONES decided to use the same seiyuu as Holland making it even worse. Top this off with some bullshit cameo with the E7 movie and you pretty much have a recipe for disaster. Also Truth IS A FUCKING HORRIBLE VILLAIN. we already knew this but this episode takes it to another level. It's fucking sad.

Jarmel

Banned
It's funny that you make that comparison because House is, of course nothing more than a rather thinly veiled Sherlock Homes, a work with Hyouka is happy to partly pay reference too. The problem with the comparison to Hyouka is that, while the mysteries are certainly not the 'point' of the work, they are nevertheless important. In a murder-mystery there has been a murder, in House the patient is going to die if House doesn't work what's wrong with them. This is why they're completely different to Hyouka's "I wonder why that window was open?" type mystery. The mysteries of Hyouka are so banal that they hurt.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

kayos90

Can it be November? I sort of hate the Olympics even more now. This is like a freaking open wound that's going to ache all the way until this show is done.

Also, not interested in swimsuit versions of characters. Too plain. Especially when a character has a really pretty and interesting outfit like KYH's butterfly avatar.
I'm not a fan of KYH, but I agree that her butterfly outfit is pretty awesome. Very classy.
There is nothing special about this character at all whatsoever. I agree.
Don't be hatin on best girl. It's just that particular piece of art that's lacking in the gloppability department.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's funny that you make that comparison because House is, of course nothing more than a rather thinly veiled Sherlock Homes. The problem with the comparison to Hyouka is that, while the mysteries are certainly not the 'point' of the work, they are nevertheless important. In a murder-mystery there has been a murder, in House the patient is going to die if House doesn't work what's wrong with them. This is why they're completely different to Hyouka's "I wonder why that window was open?" type mystery.

House was only interesting when he was ruining his relationship with Cuddy/Wilson or seeing Wilson's dead wife or going through Vicodin withdrawal though. The other stuff exists so that people can be distracted while all the character stuff happens.

I mean, once in a while they mix it up by having House kill a patient or let a patient die and
that's what the film arc was in terms of Hyouka
but otherwise, they're just window dressing because we fundamentally desire plot.

Heck, even when I watch the BBC Sherlock, I could give one fuck about the actual mystery on the show. That's the least important aspect of the show - it's all about Cumberbatch being Cumberbatch-ey.

But like I said, I do agree that the high school mysteries are "boring". I just think they're not the point, just like the mysteries are not the point in any show of this nature. The thing is we've been conditioned to have the stakes raised in these types of stories that we can't accept anything else.

The fact that you can't sell a straight up anime/manga/light novel franchise based on Sherlock Holmes in Japan without couching it in high school trappings is a much bigger problem that surpasses the scope of any discussion about Hyouka... even if it informs it.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka Seven AO 22

I cannot present to you how bullshit this show is now and how freaking moronic it has become. We all knew it was going horrible after episode 14 but I never thought it would reach this point. Despite the awesome fight scenes, the narrative is absolutely unsalvageable at this point. There is literally no going back and after this episode, it pretty much solidified what direction this show is taking. Everything that people loved about E7 is pretty much shat on all over. The movie was disappointing to many people and even as an anime movie it's disappointing but it's nowhere near the level of disappointment that AO is. It's absolutely horrendous in trying to pace it out. They try to go for revelations when in reality they feel like asspulls, and the greatest asspull has yet to be had until this episode. It's pretty much dumb fanfic that someone wrote and thought it'd be a great idea.

Renton is back but his design is sort of lacking. Sure he's grown and that means he's changed but there is no semblance of what he used to be at all. Other than his face, he's barely recognizeable. His hair style is questionable. His wear is okay, and sure he has swag but he's not Renton-like at all. He's grittier, much more stern. The voice doesn't help since BONES decided to use the same seiyuu as Holland making it even worse. Top this off with some bullshit cameo with the E7 movie and you pretty much have a recipe for disaster. Also Truth IS A FUCKING HORRIBLE VILLAIN. we already knew this but this episode takes it to another level. It's fucking sad.

The thing that really pisses me off(I haven't seen the episode) is why would you use the same VA? Why? What would fucking possess you to use the same VA in a sequel for a different role that played a major role in the prior series. Korra did the same bullshit and it stood out there. What the fuck do you have to be thinking about?

Soma

In your opinion, that is. In my opinion, he was no more than a dull character in a dull show whith some dull character development.

Y'know, it's probably not a good thing when side characters with only a modicum of screentime are more memorable and enjoyable to watch than your entire main cast combined.

edit: Oh snap, here comes Brandy with them TRUTH bombs!

Well that's something I more or less disagree with.

In my opinion, Oreki is a very realized and well written character that I personally relate to on an almost frightening level. The way the show slowly sought to break down his lazy life style was something I really enjoyed out of it yet also something that invoked a "shit this is hitting some really weird notes in me" reaction. The film arc for instance was a pivotal point in his development. The thing about the show is that it depicts high school life very realistically to the point where it kind of emphasizes the fact that not all school life is crazy shit happening all the time and that right there in my opinion is where people are either "well in that case I don't care about high school crap" or "y'know i appreciate the way the show depicts high school life". While I wish the earlier episodes were as character driven as the later ones are, saying that the show takes 18 or so episodes to get to character development just isn't true at least in my eyes.

How much one enjoys and appreciates that development is a totally different story though.

That's just my two cents on that.

Jex

Eureka Seven AO 22
Top this off with some bullshit cameo with the E7 movie and you pretty much have a recipe for disaster.[/spoiler]
I'd like to point out that I called the below happening a few weeks ago - but only as a joke. A silly, stupid joke. I guess nothings too stupid for that show.

Dead

well not really...yet
The thing that really pisses me off(I haven't seen the episode) is why would you use the same VA? Why? What would fucking possess you to use the same VA in a sequel for a different role that played a major role in the prior series. Korra did the same bullshit and it stood out there. What the fuck do you have to be thinking about?
full circle, etc, etc, lol

cajunator

Banned
I'm not a fan of KYH, but I agree that her butterfly outfit is pretty awesome. Very classy.

Don't be hatin on best girl. It's just that particular piece of art that's lacking in the gloppability department.

How so? shes naked in the shower. That would be THE gloppable picture of her. Asuna is just not gloppable to begin with. shes a really dull character.

/XX/

It all really comes down to enduring that banality to appreciate and see whats behind in terms of relationships between the cast or not. I don't think that's inherently bad, only the way it is all being presented in a quite realistic High School environment, to empathize better with the most probable audience. Some people will tolerate it, some will not.

trejo

I think I'd like it if SAO and Hyouka talk just diminished altogether. Sometimes it does feel like we discuss not much else.

kayos90

I'd like to point out that I called the below happening a few weeks ago - but only as a joke. A silly, stupid joke. I guess nothings too stupid for that show.

I'm not talking about the
Giant Nirvash. I'm talking about the flying dinosaur plane

full circle, etc, etc, lol

What? WHAT? WHAT THE?! Are you serious? Please tell me you're not. PLEASE TELL ME YOU ARE NOT>

How so? shes naked in the shower. That would be THE gloppable picture of her. Asuna is just not gloppable to begin with. shes a really dull character.

There is a picture of that. You want it?

Tell us about the Jew gold you carry in a pouch that you hang around your neck!

It's fake. I didn't find this out until much later though, meaning that for whatever reason, I alone have been denied the power of True Jew Gold (or TJG). I find this suspicious and wonder if it has anything to do with my ancestry. Just what powers does TJG hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom