• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Sword Art Online] - 4

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like this episode was designed to cater to people who are sexually aroused by 'little sisters' getting nailed by their big brothers. I find that to be most unwholesome.

People who are fans of this must, therefore, be perverts. I'm looking at you, Silica fans.

I suppose it is impressive that they can cram this many varieties of otaku-bait into a single series. Everyone gets a chance to have their particular niche catered to.

Narag

Gintama 24

PsNzQ.png

Not bad, not bad.

There we go.

Pooya

[Sword Art Online] - 4

I don't know what you guys think, but I feel like this episode was designed to cater to people who are sexually aroused by 'little sisters' getting nailed by their big brothers. I find that to be most unwholesome.

People who are fans of this must, therefore, be perverts. I'm looking at you, Silica fans.

I suppose it is impressive that they can cram this many varieties of otaku-bait into a single series. Everyone gets a chance to have their particular niche catered to.

I'd say just skip right into episode 9 (or 8 was it?), everything till then is pretty terrible. It's not going to get any better regarding otaku material unfortunately but there are other things that could be fun.

Jex

The least offensive thing I can say about Sword Art Online is that, like Accel World, it really understands the way videogames work in a way that pretty much every other story about videogames doesn't.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Turn back before it's too late!

Seriously, the hell? How did I miss the fact that Jexhius watched the first three?

Maybe it's time for me to undrop the show long enough to say whatever I want about it while kayos can't retaliate.

duckroll

I'd say just skip right into episode 9 (or 8 was it?), everything till then is pretty terrible. It's not going to get any better regarding otaku material unfortunately but there are other things that could be fun.

No, we want to see his descent into madness, one episode at a time. Don't deprive us of that!

Narag

Seriously, the hell? How did I miss the fact that Jexhius watched the first three?

Maybe it's time for me to undrop the show long enough to say whatever I want about it while kayos can't retaliate.

He won't retaliate because he knows it's true. Can't spell SAOturday without turd after all :(

Jex

I don't believe, necessarily, in skipping episodes. It's all about the journey. It's not like I'm trying to excavate the best possible experience from SAO. I'm looking for the truth.

Narag

One Piece 24

j8vF3l.png

Black & white sequence was so very cool when it wasn't marred by special effects.

Not bad.
I was hoping the Mihawk thing wouldn't be resolved here. Events just made me hunger for the eventual arrival to the Grand Line

DiGiKerot

With Accel World I am actually watching that for a very specific reason - to see the cool parts of the show that take place in game. That doesn't apply to Sword Art Oline.

But! But! Errr, that part in the OP where Asuna runs up the sword was pretty cool?

Okay, I've got nothing.

jman2050

[Sword Art Online] - 4

It's okay as long as you don't have a little sister yourself! Right?

With Accel World I am actually watching that for a very specific reason - to see the cool parts of the show that take place in game. That doesn't apply to Sword Art Oline.

Interesting. I would say SAO is actually more worth skipping around in since a lot of the middle parts are episodic, while AC isn't.

Narag

Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse 11

This ep was probably uglier than the first two eps, possibly even all the previous eps, put together. Thankfully, it coasted by on some stronger than normal writing and pacing what with the tension of the imminent BETA attack and the subterfuge all around. Dat ending too.

wow, tari tari is really good :U im about 7 episodes into it and im enjoying what im seeing. its funny, the characters are pretty good and the emotional stuff actually works and doesnt feel forced.

wakanas poor english in episode 3 definitely had me rolling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kokoro Connect 11

KpwVLl.jpg

Because of Oda Nobuna, I can't take shots like these seriously anymore. It's like every show wants to be some kind of waifu simulator... either you're feeding them or they're feeding you. lol

Anyhoo, I thought that
reverting back to their childhood serves as an interesting gimmick this time around. I was going to say this would be a fitting final arc, since it's looking backwards in order to move forwards, but I forgot that the show is like 18 episodes long or something weird like that. lol

It looks like they're finally moving on to the other two characters that they haven't really bothered to go into after the Inaba/love triangle arc, although I do wonder... will the main dude ever have his back story told or if he's stuck in cipher protagonist mode forever?

At the very least, it's a nice little reset after all the drama last week and I do particularly enjoy this scifi gimmick. (I know it's a dumb episode, but one of my favourite episodes of TNG involves this very gimmick, so yay. lol)

Branduil

Kokoro Connect 11

KpwVLl.jpg

Because of Oda Nobuna, I can't take shots like these seriously anymore. It's like every show wants to be some kind of waifu simulator... either you're feeding them or they're feeding you. lol

Is that really the only reason? I mean, that show certainly didn't invent the first-person POV shot, and they're often used for precisely the reason this one is- to make the viewer identify with the character. It's a valid technique, but I guess in your case it doesn't work because you've recently experienced it in an incredibly transparent and pandering way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is that really the only reason? I mean, that show certainly didn't invent the first-person POV shot, and they're often used for precisely the reason this one is- to make the viewer identify with the character. It's a valid technique, but I guess in your case it doesn't work because you've recently experienced it in an incredibly transparent and pandering way.
It's not necessarily the first person shot, but the first person "feeding" shot that's stuck in my head now. I'm sure there are lots of American films and TV shows with first person feeding shots, but I can't think of anything at the moment. The fact that anime is seemingly doing it exclusively is what makes it hilariously "charming".

You could take them seriously before?
I didn't notice them before, because there are obviously much more creepier shots in anime/media in general. lol

Kokoro Connect 11

That was an excellent episode. This third arc is terrific so far, as it seems set to remedy one of the show's few flaws by
focusing considerably more an Aoki and the depth and development of his character. There also appears to be an imminent and extensive deconstruction of Aoki's feelings toward Yui and the relationship he desires to have with her. The highly self-aware conversation between Aoki and Taichi on the train was a welcome moment, as it illuminated his state of mind and the apparent complexity of his troubled emotions.
As such, the character interactions and incredible voice acting remain the strongest elements of the show.

The latest phenomenon is great, and I love that it's reverting the majority of the characters to their childhood selves. Mini-Inaba was insanely adorable, particularly when she was clinging onto Taichi's leg. Young Iori was also awesome. Inaba's an amazing character, and her moments with Taichi continue to be brilliant, due mostly to their exceptional chemistry. Her relationship with Taichi is one of the strongest elements of the show, and I can’t wait to see it develop further.

The revelation and consequent introduction of "Number Two" is really interesting, and it will be exciting to find out the severity of his intentions and how similar or otherwise his personality is to Heartseed's.

The new ED is pretty great.

All in all, Kokoro Connect continues to thoroughly impress with it’s direction, story, and character development, excelling particularly in it's ability to excellently balance the dramatic elements with the occasional moments of comedy, while very rarely faltering in it's execution.

Jex

And to think I once respected you.

(But seriously, why? Just to get in digs at duckroll?)

Sometimes it's useful to know what the current 'in' show is actually like. It's rather hard to judge from my ivory tower, as it were, so I decided that lowering myself into the trenches might allow me to get some perspective. At least now I know the reality: Sword Art Online isn't really as bad as I thought it might be. It's inherently ridiculous, but fairly entertaining never the less. There's nothing really good about it, beyond the aforementioned realistic depiction of a videogame.

Kazzy

wow, tari tari is really good :U im about 7 episodes into it and im enjoying what im seeing. its funny, the characters are pretty good and the emotional stuff actually works and doesnt feel forced.

wakanas poor english in episode 3 definitely had me rolling.

"I don't money!"

Yeah, it's a pleasant watch, although my interest has somewhat cooled lately. Probably has a lot to do with my catching up with the airing schedule, though.

Sometimes it's useful to know what the current 'in' show is actually like. It's rather hard to judge from my ivory tower, as it were, so I decided that lowering myself into the trenches might allow me to get some perspective. At least now I know the reality: Sword Art Online isn't really as bad as I thought it might be. It's inherently ridiculous, but fairly entertaining never the less. There's nothing really good about it, beyond the aforementioned realistic depiction of a videogame.

That makes sense. I probably wouldn't have been as bored by Sword Art Online as I was if I had ever played an MMO.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Fine fine, I'd rather err on the side of caution than a quick joke.

That first image, were they just
holding hands, or is that the "dis yo baby feel him kick" hand on the stomach thing?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sword Art Online 11

http://i.imgur.com/3A9NE.jpg

That said, definitely one of the better eps.
I'm so glad kayos is banned. lol

I think it'd take a lot of work to beat Idolmaster episode 1 in terms of creepy first-person shots.
I don't remember it being more pervy than usual, but it's been a while.

Was there anything really creepy in the first episode? I don't remember any...

Edit: Ah, I think I found one!
Or maybe there are. :p

Needs more mayonnaise.
All dat sauce.

"I don't money!"

Yeah, it's a pleasant watch, although my interest has somewhat cooled lately. Probably has a lot to do with my catching up with the airing schedule, though.
Hah, that arc was pretty fun. Of course, it's now in serious mode for the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom