• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Did somebody say long face?
x5Rfe.jpg

AURA ~Maryuuin Kouga's Last Battle~ - PV

The Jinrui BD has also a PV for the movie adaptations of Romeo Tanaka's (the writer of Jinrui) AURA ~Maryuuin Kouga's Last Battle~.

The 2008 school romantic comedy novel revolves around Ichirō "Menzu" Satō, a high school freshman who forgets his textbook at school one day. Ichirō encounters a beautiful girl while sneaking back into his school in the dead of night. The girl calls herself a witch from a parallel world. Ichirō used to suffer delusions of grandeur like this, but vowed to stop so that he can successfully re-invent himself as a freshman in high school.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...igo-no-tatakai-anime-film-officially-unveiled

Director: Seiji Kishi
Series Composition: Makoto Uezu
Script: Jun Kumagai
Original creator: Romeo Tanaka (light novel)
Original Character Design: mebae
Character Design: Kazuaki Morita

Release: 2013

Jarmel

Banned
The 2008 school romantic comedy novel revolves around Ichirō "Menzu" Satō, a high school freshman who forgets his textbook at school one day. Ichirō encounters a beautiful girl while sneaking back into his school in the dead of night. The girl calls herself a witch from a parallel world. Ichirō used to suffer delusions of grandeur like this, but vowed to stop so that he can successfully re-invent himself as a freshman in high school.

This sounds awfully familiar.

This sounds awfully familiar.

Well, Aura is better and older than Chuu2 - there were even some discussions on 2ch about it. And you should read a plot summary of Kyōkai no Kanata (the LN with the animated commercial by KyoAni) it sounds like a cheap Bakemonogatari clone.

The story follows a high school sophomore named Akihito Kanbara. Although the boy appears human, he is half yōmu and invulnerable to wounds because he can heal quickly. One day, Akihito meets freshman Mirai Kuriyama when it seems she is about to jump from the school rooftop. Mirai is isolated because of her ability to manipulate blood, which is unique even among members of the spirit world. Disturbing events begin to unfold after Akihito saves Mirai.

KyoAni's LN branch is like a better doujin circle at the moment.

Gundam Seed Destiny 44

This hasn't been near as bad as I was expecting. almost all the new characters have sucked and I have really disliked Cagalli in Destiny.
Shinn is easily the worst character from any Gundam though.

That is true ... untill you start watching gundam age and then you'll realise that they created a new brand of worst characters in their own way

/XX/

In a few minutes there is an interview with Hideaki Anno on a section of NTV's program Friday Road SHOW! (http://www.khara.co.jp/hideakianno/2012/09/000243.html), which reminds me... shouldn't the promotional campaign for his new film be commencing soon?

Other studios can produce nice art direction, of course, I just don't think they're as reliable as those three. Brains Base's improvement in that area, through their partnership with Studio Pable, is especially impressive because they used to be quite inconsistent.
It is difficult to talk about consistency when mentioning animation production studios. Dedicated background work is mainly required on a project-by-project basis and fulfilled by different "animation background image" companies presenting variable degrees of relationship with the animation production studios themselves. In the case of Kyoto Animation it is true, when they mainly have strong ties with Korean ST.BLUE (formerly Ani Village) that makes the bulk of said work on practically every production they devise. As an example of the opposite, look at how many different studios one top player like ATELIER MUSA have collaborated with (http://www18.ocn.ne.jp/~musa/2_body_compInfo.htm).

Gundam Seed Destiny 44

This hasn't been near as bad as I was expecting. almost all the new characters have sucked and I have really disliked Cagalli in Destiny.
Shinn is easily the worst character from any Gundam though.

Yeah. I still don't understand why they changed Gagalli so much in Destiny. She feels like completely different character compared to original SEED.

Viz revealed (trailer)Neon Alley is launching Oct 2...

Exclusive English Dubbed Premieres of:
NARUTO Shippuden
Tiger & Bunny
Inuyasha - The Final Act
ZETMAN
Lagrange - The Flower of Rin-ne-
Blue Exorcist
Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan

More favorites - ALL UNCUT - like:
Vampire Knight
NARUTO
Death Note
Kekkaishi
Nana

Some of the best new and classic anime films:
Berserk: The Gold Age Arc I - The Egg of the King
Bleach the Movie
NARUTO Shippuden the Movie

duckroll

To give credit to where credits due:

The Brain's Base shot is from Studio Pablo, I believe.

That shot of the moon is from Rinne, I believe? That's not an IG show.

Branduil doesn't care about transparency or facts! He is just looking to slander the good name of BONES for his liberal agenda!

duckroll

It is difficult to talk about consistency when mentioning animation production studios. Dedicated background work is mainly required on a project-by-project basis and fulfilled by different "animation background image" companies presenting variable degrees of relationship with the animation production studios themselves. In the case of Kyoto Animation it is true, when they mainly have strong ties with Korean ST.BLUE (formerly Ani Village) that makes the bulk of said work on practically every production they devise. As an example of the opposite, look at how many different studios one top player like ATELIER MUSA have collaborated with (http://www18.ocn.ne.jp/~musa/2_body_compInfo.htm).

It should also be pointed out that sometimes the production of background art is even more diversified than simply one anime production studio working with one background studio. There are also cases where an aime studio might contract an art director from one studio, while contracting the actual production of backgrounds to another studio. This would mean that while the original art direction and art setting materials could be extremely detailed or well planned, the actual production of backgrounds in the show itself might not fully reflect that. This would be similar to a show where the original character designs are detailed, unique and in-depth, but such is not reflected in the animation character designs.

In other cases though, it should also be pointed out that the anime studio itself could have a significant stake in the overall background art quality. While Ufotable for example does not produce 100% of the backgrounds and art direction and setting themselves (for Fate/Zero they partnered with Studio Easter), they do have a fully functional in-house art studio with their own art director, and background art team. This team collaborates with the art director and various staff at Studio Easter, while also working on their own art settings and in some cases handling the backgrounds for entire episodes on their own.

In the end, it really depends on how serious a studio is about having their own stamp on the quality assurance of a production, and how invested they are in making the product look good. The more they care, the more it shows in the end result.

It should also be pointed out that sometimes the production of background art is even more diversified than simply one anime production studio working with one background studio. There are also cases where an aime studio might contract an art director from one studio, while contracting the actual production of backgrounds to another studio. This would mean that while the original art direction and art setting materials could be extremely detailed or well planned, the actual production of backgrounds in the show itself might not fully reflect that. This would be similar to a show where the original character designs are detailed, unique and in-depth, but such is not reflected in the animation character designs.

In other cases though, it should also be pointed out that the anime studio itself could have a significant stake in the overall background art quality. While Ufotable for example does not produce 100% of the backgrounds and art direction and setting themselves (for Fate/Zero they partnered with Studio Easter), they do have a fully functional in-house art studio with their own art director, and background art team. This team collaborates with the art director and various staff at Studio Easter, while also working on their own art settings and in some cases handling the backgrounds for entire episodes on their own.

In the end, it really depends on how serious a studio is about having their own stamp on the quality assurance of a production, and how invested they are in making the product look good. The more they care, the more it shows in the end result.

I never knew that, thanks for the info. To me, background art really isn't an important thing however. :p

duckroll

Owch wonzo, don't go kicking duckroll when he's down. He's still suffering from the painful consequences of Eureka Seven Ao.

The title of the show is Eureka Seven AO, not to be confused with the main character who is Fukai Ao. Get that right you traitorous cretin! :(

I should have listened to you from the start. Why.... why?! ._.

I never knew that, thanks for the info. To me, background art really isn't an important thing however. :p

Guys, THIS is why Accel World toilets happen. Blame the root of the problem plz. ;_;

Koi to Senkyo To Chocolate 11

All around amazing episode, finally completely tieing things back to the event from the start of episode and more revelations. So good when Bakajima-kun rose to action.
When he called Morishita san after getting all the details and she got into the hospital, pure joy, so glad when the unthinkable happened and Nana awoke from her coma, tears of happiness.

Still hoping we get a Winnerjima-kun
Really hoping that that other girls group peole wont inhibit him from participating further in the election or losing votes, poor Chisato on litrally the happinest day of her life

Jex

The title of the show is Eureka Seven AO, not to be confused with the main character who is Fukai Ao. Get that right you traitorous cretin! :(

I should have listened to you from the start. Why.... why?! ._.
Hope is better than cynicism, I suppose.

Gundam Seed Destiny 46
I don't care how many times it happens in every Gundam series. the pointless character deaths(in this case of a pointless character)
never fail to annoy me every single time.

You're quite the trooper having gotten this far :p. Just a little bit more! And Final Plus too, if you're up for that (it's a slight improvement over the final episode).

Edit: Never mind, you made it. Congrats :p.

/XX/

都萌ちゃんニュース | 京都国際マンガ・アニメフェア -西日本最大規模のマンガ・アニメ総合見本市
http://kyomaf.jp/tomoe/

Is this the first work of WIT STUDIO? Handling assistance to Production I.G on an illustration book for the mascot of a fair? Worse fate than XEBEC confirmed!
Don't take this too seriously (as I've said in other occasions)...
coincidentally, and of lesser importance, the Kyoto international Manga Anime Fair 2012 began today (September, 21).

I see... and yeah, ufotable is always a good example of that and also of many other tasks (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37024444#post37024444), as they do part of practically everything, in regards to production, in-house.

AURA PV

feel so moonnn...

zzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The PV doesn't show much to get excited about, however what does make me somewhat interested in the production is something I read by a fan of the LN author, Romeo Tanaka. He describes it as an "anti-light novel" about escaping from escapism, and says it directly satires several popular LN series. How much of that will be evident in the film adaptation remains to be seen, of course.

sonicmj1

Paranoia Agent 11

And here I was thinking that Gunslinger Girl was being unsubtle. Obviously, it has been too long since I've partaken of the right kind of Japanese media.

i05uiZVPwtnXj.png

You know, the kind of Japanese media that delivers monologues against completely empty backgrounds.

In a way there are two parts to this episode, one following Ikari and one following his wife. The former is the kind of character exploration the show was known for in the first part. A man down on his luck, going through his day, experiencing unusual things, grappling with his lot in life. It even contains, in visual metaphor, the same message we see in the other part, presented in a pretty interesting way. I liked those portions of the episode a great deal.

The latter part, on the other hand, is basically a lecture given by a single character. In the second half of the episode, it almost becomes a Galt-esque manifesto for the show's message. Well, thanks a lot! Now I know what Paranoia Agent is all about!

It's almost like the two portions were written by completely different people. And one of them is Hideo Kojima or Mari Okada.

The next episode looks like it's exactly like what I'd always wanted the show to do, by which I mean it's nothing like what I wanted the show to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom